Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4.Somerset @ 1.Shelby Valley First Round
Gator95 Wrote:Well Valley just pretty much shut out the best passing team in 3A. Fleming had 3 receivers in the top 10 in receiving & Flemings QB was top 3 in passing. I agree, I don't think much about Leslie and they wouldn't have put that much on Valley if not for the refs. 35-18 with 4 minutes left. Yea, anyone can tell the rest. But I don't look for Somerset to have any superior weapons that Valley hasn't seen yet.

If it wouldnt for the refs... Boo Hoo... You've bitched about it enough. What happens if you lose this game?? Refs will definitely be to blame...
If Somerset wins then they are the better team that night. I have heard every excuse in the world when a team loses. Refs, weather,team did not run their correct offense, had players hurt...... Bottom line is you win and lose in sports. Be proud of the kids that put the time in for your school.
I Rule The World Wrote:If it wouldnt for the refs... Boo Hoo... You've bitched about it enough. What happens if you lose this game?? Refs will definitely be to blame...

Was anyone talking to you at all? Didn't think so. Shouldn't you be packing your bags to get ready for your awesome trip to LCA lol? :biglmao: Maybe you should quit bitching about me bitching and get that "awesome run defense" ready for Whitman on Friday. Valley ran for 400 yards on you. Imagine what this kid will do. I do hope you win though. I also hope you have to travel to valley (if we win) so I can watch them beat Leslie's ass up and down the field.
I'm picking the Briar Jumpers in the upset.
Close for most of the game. Lots of yards.
SV just a little too good.

40-28 SV
I'll take the Jumpers
Somerset wins by 7.
I see that more people on here are picking Somerset than Valley. With only a couple of exceptions, only SV fans are picking them to win. Nothing wrong with that.

But I do see several that are picking Somerset to "upset" Valley. Which begs the question...

If more people than not are picking the upset, is it REALLY an upset? :biggrin:

Again, not being critical of the pick. On the contrary, despite SV being the #1 seed and Somerset being the winless #4 seed, I bet if there were such a thing as Vegas odds in high school football, Somerset might even be the slight favorite.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cellking Wrote:They gave up 35 to Leslie County and I promise you Somerset is a lot more dangerous on Offence than Leslie County. Hatcher, Doan, McWilliams, Coomer and the 2 Receivers will give Shelby Valley Fits. Go Jumpers!!!
:dontthink:dontthink

Well, SV did give up 35 points to Leslie Co., but that was the only time Valley allowed more than 30 in a game all year. For the most part their defense has been solid this season.

But I agree with you that Somerset could be the most dangerous offense they have faced this year. Therefore it will be imperative for SV to keep them off the field using their ground game. In this case the best defense will be a good offense.

Honestly, Valley's offense is pretty hard to stop for opposing defenses. Usually what stops it is themselves (i.e., fumbles). If Valley limits the turnovers, the Jumpers playmakers may get very frustrated standing over on the sidelines.

That said, I refuse to make a prediction on this game, because you simply can't predict whether Valley will fumble or not. I really think that is what the game will turn on.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Shelby Valley can fumble the ball and still win against Somerset, I think.

Middlesboro fumbled not once, but TWICE, on their game-winning drive against the Jumpers last week and no one in purple-and-gold could manage to fall on the loose balls. Apparently, the Jumpers were too busy face-masking ball carriers and getting flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct penalties.
Although I do think Somerset is the most dangerous 4 seed in the East, maybe even the state, I think Shelby Valley moves on past round 1.

Shelby Valley 33
Somerset 20
I agree 100 percent with you More Cowbell . I have watched every game that Valley has played this year . And I can honestly say if Valley don't turn the ball over as much as they have this year this team would be 10 - 0 . Just my opinion . And they just do it at the worst possible time in the game. And be 4 everyone gets started I know that fumbling is a part of the game and that it goes both ways . But I agree Cowbell . It will all depend on how well Valley holds on to the football vs. Somerset.
I think somerset gets the 1st win on the year and puts out the wildcats in a crazy 1st round game. but I do hope SV gets the win so Leslie can make the trip and get another shot at SV. This region is going to be wild finish good luck to both teams and an injury free game!

Somerset 36
SV 32
Somerset by 3!! be a great way to avenge their season.
Best game for your buck on Friday night, don't look for a spread of more than 8 points either way.
I'll take Shelby Valley by a couple of scores 28-14.. Valley has some solid linebackers and No. 4 is a guy on the back end that can limit the big plays. Different story if they start turning it over, but I'm assuming they don't.
I'm going with the Valley on this one.
I honestly believe that this first round game will be harder for either team to win than whoever they would play in the second round. I know LCA beat Somerset but my gut just tells me that whoever wins this game will be playing in the region championship.
I think the briar jumpers win this game. If not oh well Ijust like saying briar jumper.
If Shelby Valley and Somerset were playing at a neutral site then I'd most definitely pick Somerset. However, teams going into Shelby Valley don't exactly get breaks or even fairly called games for that matter. So I think Shelby Valley wins for that very reason. Mainly because that is the #1 reason they are even district champs to begin with.
Must be a Leslie co Fan !!!!!!!! Ha ha ha . Just because you guys have to cheat teams to win games doesn't mean everyone does . I bet there's not a team that's been to Valley this year had 200 yards in penalties and you guys had 2 teams in consecutive weeks to have 200 yards. Don't be a hater I hope and pray we see you all again in a couple weeks .
Football fan 0 Wrote:Must be a Leslie co Fan !!!!!!!! Ha ha ha . Just because you guys have to cheat teams to win games doesn't mean everyone does . I bet there's not a team that's been to Valley this year had 200 yards in penalties and you guys had 2 teams in consecutive weeks to have 200 yards. Don't be a hater I hope and pray we see you all again in a couple weeks .

Don't think it will happen. LCA and Somerset in round 2:Thumbs:
baseball1974 Wrote:If Shelby Valley and Somerset were playing at a neutral site then I'd most definitely pick Somerset. However, teams going into Shelby Valley don't exactly get breaks or even fairly called games for that matter. So I think Shelby Valley wins for that very reason. Mainly because that is the #1 reason they are even district champs to begin with.

I'd love to know what games (if any single game) you've watched that has been unfairly called at Shelby Valley. Ask anyone that's played there if they've had problems with officials. You clearly have no clue what your talking about. Shelby Valley played 3 district games. TWO of them were on the road. They beat Leslie and Betsy Layne on the road and was defeated at home by Prestonsburg. Which was as fair of a game as any. You may ask the pburg fans that were there if you'd like so you can get some conformation to help you from sounding any more moronic than what you already do . So please enlighten me on how you think the reason Shelby Valley won district because officials cheated for them during district games. You don't know what your talking about whatsoever.
baseball1974 Wrote:If Shelby Valley and Somerset were playing at a neutral site then I'd most definitely pick Somerset. However, teams going into Shelby Valley don't exactly get breaks or even fairly called games for that matter. So I think Shelby Valley wins for that very reason. Mainly because that is the #1 reason they are even district champs to begin with.

Your statement makes zero sense at all. How on earth do you get that "home cooking" is the reason Shelby Valley is the district champs? Did you actually follow Shelby Valley's season?

Valley played 3 district games this year. The 2 district wins were both on the road, while they lost the only district home game. So tell me how the home-field advantage won them the district championship? :eyeroll:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'll assume you were talking about Leslie Co.. That's the only way your first statement makes sense. As for the rest of it Shelby Valley won the tiebreaker on points. The poor officiating ended up doing -nothing- for Leslie Co., though it screwed P-burg out of the district title.
I scouted this Leslie County team and watched this game closely. Great contest between these kids. could have went both ways.
P-burg beat themselves, had the game in the bag "A for sure win" but----does'nt matter if you win by 1 or 100 a win is a win.
Don't know that officiating will be an issue, it's the playoffs, it will likely be a crew out of lexington.
This is one of the most interesting games on the board. Typically a team that is 8-2 would be heavily favored over a winless team. In this case, this isn't your typical winless team. Sommerset has been very close against some very good teams and they have a great deal of speed which always makes you dangerous. Valley must contain that speed and eliminate turnovers. I think they come out on top, but Sommerset keeps it very respectable.

Valley -21
Sommerset- 13
Going with the Valley on this one. Somerset just can't seem to get out of their slump. Exciting time in this district...play on.