• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Early 13th Region talk
Top players in 13th:

Morris - Bell
Cotton - Clay
Bruner - North Laurel
Brock - Harlan
Green - Harlan Co.
How could anyone have Bruner ahead of Brock at this point and North third in the region? Brock took a Class A team that had only one senior to the 13th Region Tournament finals and put up some very impressive numbers along the way. Harlan beat Harlan County, Barbourville and Clay County in pressure-packed tournament games. North beat Jackson County.
Maybe North proves they belong this year, but they haven't done anything yet.
Valid point. North has yet to prove they belong. That may be the case again this season. I do believe they have the potential to be a top 3 team though. Clay and Bell secure my top two spots as regional favorites. Before the summer I assumed Bell would be the heavy favorite. My opinion has changed and I feel like Clay is the team to beat this year, especially if Mathis returns. She makes them a different team for sure.
I agree Inside, but how many region winners have had the big inside that gets you a double double and is a shot changer and defends the paint? Pretty much every team that wins the region has a good solid big. Knox new coach is teaching the fundamentals and you should see them be somewhat more competetive this year, but they still lack an inside presence. I am old skool and I believe you must start your offense from the inside-out. Smile
I agree Hitters...... you must have a solid big inside to win the Region. You must also have a coach who believes "inside-out" (Clay Co.). You can have a great big inside and win nothing if the coach only cares about guard play and will not get her the ball. (example: Whitley Co. under a previous coach). It's still hard to believe they never won a region with the talent he had......crazy.......:popcorn::Sad04::Cheerlead
When has Whitley had a great big?
Craig became pretty good her last two years. Not Division I great like he said three or four years ago, but solid.
They had a forward about 10 years ago who was one of the top two or three players in the region.
Lilly Wrote:When has Whitley had a great big?
Confusednicker: She moved on to the next level.....When has SW had a great big? I heard that's been their weak spot for several years and is not expected to get any better this year! Someone said she should stick with soccer!Confusednicker:

:betterthanexpected:
HDE Wrote:Craig became pretty good her last two years. Not Division I great like he said three or four years ago, but solid.
They had a forward about 10 years ago who was one of the top two or three players in the region.
I don't recall ever calling Craig a great D-1....just that she was being recruited at that level along with D-2, D-3 & NAIA. But, thanks for finally giving the girl some credit for her hard work! :popcorn::betterthanexpected:
Whizzard we are not talking about SW, we are talking about Whitley. You are dead wrong with your detective skills and its making you look worse than Whitley last year in region.
Hitters_Count Wrote:I agree Inside, but how many region winners have had the big inside that gets you a double double and is a shot changer and defends the paint? Pretty much every team that wins the region has a good solid big. Knox new coach is teaching the fundamentals and you should see them be somewhat more competetive this year, but they still lack an inside presence. I am old skool and I believe you must start your offense from the inside-out. Smile

Clay has went to who knows how many times to the State Tourney in the last 20 years. And they are the only team that runs a old school low post offense. Unless I'm forgetting someone they have never had that dominate post up player. They have all way gotten steady play from there post position. Bell Jackson being really good, and Madden probably being the most athletic. What they have always had is GREAT coaching and good point guard play. When South went to the State tourney a few years ago I don't remember them having a dominate Center. What they had was 5 really good players that played hard every time out. Corbin's team the last couple years have had great guards and big girls who knew there roll was to play defense and rebound. If you knew how bad it hurt me to agree with THE WHIZZ, but he is right girls basketball is a guard dominated game. IMO.
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:I agree Hitters...... you must have a solid big inside to win the Region. You must also have a coach who believes "inside-out" (Clay Co.). You can have a great big inside and win nothing if the coach only cares about guard play and will not get her the ball. (example: Whitley Co. under a previous coach). It's still hard to believe they never won a region with the talent he had......crazy.......:popcorn::Sad04::Cheerlead

It Hurts bad. But WHIZZ is spot on. And I will agree on the talent they have had. It has been amazing the talent that has went through that school.
I've seen Woods from Clay play this summer and she's the most dominate post player in the 13th right now. I personally think she deserves to be in the top 5 players in the 13th. she'll earn her respect though.
Love them or hate them, there is absolutely NO reason Whitley shouldn't have won atleast one region title over the past 3 years. Getting upset by teams like North Laurel in the first round, or getting beat by teams you already beat multiple times in the season, only to lose in region.

It all comes down to coaching and ill leave it at that. Wouldn't hurt to completely clean house.
I agree that Whitley should probably have a title. But what about Bell? Is there no pressure to win before Morris leaves for UK?
SixthMan Wrote:I agree that Whitley should probably have a title. But what about Bell? Is there no pressure to win before Morris leaves for UK?

Bell has had no where close to the talent that Whitley has had. Morris is unbelievable and Sanders is a good
high school player and the other guard shoots it pretty good. I didn't get a chance a chance to see them this summer but if they did not have a couple young players develop, it will be tough for them to win the region, having to beat at least two good teams that have a good scouting report on them. Somebody besides the top three has to step up, and I do not believe they have the players to do it .
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:I agree Hitters...... you must have a solid big inside to win the Region. You must also have a coach who believes "inside-out" (Clay Co.). You can have a great big inside and win nothing if the coach only cares about guard play and will not get her the ball. (example: Whitley Co. under a previous coach). It's still hard to believe they never won a region with the talent he had......crazy.......:popcorn::Sad04::Cheerlead

OMG....I may seek medical help. For once I agree with the Whizzard. I feel dirty all over and I'm going to take a shower immediately. :biglmao:
:betterthanexpected:
oldhound70s Wrote:OMG....I may seek medical help. For once I agree with the Whizzard. I feel dirty all over and I'm going to take a shower immediately. :biglmao:

Confusednicker:
I really like clay this year. As good as cotton is though if their big gets in foul trouble south could beat them.
If Cotton gets her attitude lined out she is the most talented player in the mountains. If she can keep her composure she can handle a lot of teams herself and I know that is one big IF..:eyeroll:
Count Wrote:If Cotton gets her attitude lined out she is the most talented player in the mountains. If she can keep her composure she can handle a lot of teams herself and I know that is one big IF..:eyeroll:

As my schedule has changed, and I didn't get to see any summer ball this year. What I saw from last year is Cotten is a real good high school player but is in no way in the same class as Morris. Morris is probably the best player the region has produced in a long time. Unless I'm forgetting someone I would say Kim Mays late 80s.
Taking nothing from Morris, the girl is special, I just think Cotton could be better, but I don't think she ever gets the most out of her potential. She can shoot the three, shes got great handles, and is by far the quickest player around. Cotton's biggest weakness is her attitude, which hurts her game a lot. If she matures everyone will see a different player. You are right tho...the way things stand Morris is the best.