•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mayfield 2010 vs. Pikeville 1987
Where did Litkinhouse have them? Wheres the proof of nationally ranked? 165lb linebackers, hahahaha, I think you're more than drinkin moonshine. Beat teams that won their district...WOW. Beat Johns Creek, that's the equivalent of beating Bug Tussell.
Big Five-0- Wrote:Any team that is nationally ranked, and the AP has voted them the no. 1 team in the state regardless of class, speaks volumes. And that Pikeville team could have handled the 2010 Mayfield team like they did many other great teams......no problem.

we all know that but some wont admit it Confusednicker:
EKUAlum05 Wrote:In this case it does.

1987 Pikeville is the strongest 1A team of all-time. Mayfield is a fine program and a better program than Pikeville, but this one isn't even close. Mayfield has had some stellar teams... Some maybe even among the Top 10 overall beat teams in the State in their respective year. That is a crazy accomplishment.

With that said there has never been a Mayfield team who could be considered among the Top 3 teams in KY, let alone possibly as the best overall team. This Pikeville team was NATIONALLY RANKED. There have been probably less than 10-15 teams TOTAL in Kentucky History who could attest to that fact and none of them are named Mayfield.

This team was even so good that USA Today did a full profile piece on them.

To say Mayfield would beat them is a major stretch, to say Mayfield would blow them out hurts credibility.

Went back and looked and though they were Class A size and playing AA, Mayfield was ranked number 1 in all classes in 1978.

Lit rankings, not tat they are the end all, showed the Pikeville team in '87 as 12th overall regardless of class.

Pikeville was 7th overall in Lit in 1988.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/custom3_1.html
pjdoug Wrote:we all know that but some wont admit it Confusednicker:

AP doesn't rank overall, only by class.
Hatz Wrote:Went back and looked and though they were Class A size and playing AA, Mayfield was ranked number 1 in all classes in 1978.

Lit rankings, not tat they are the end all, showed the Pikeville team in '87 as 12th overall regardless of class.

Pikeville was 7th overall in Lit in 1988.

http://www.kyhssports.freewebspace.com/custom3_1.html

That was before the playoffs started. Pikeville dismantled the #3, 4, 5 and 9th ranked teams in the 1A playoffs and all the teams in front of them in the Litratings had lost games or lost in the playoffs. Pikeville finished as the only undefeated team in the state and most people at the finals thought they were better than the other champs (all who had lost in the regular season) Shelby Co., Covington Catholic and Danville. If the Litratings would have released their ratings after the season was over Pikeville probably would have been #1 and certainly no worse than 2nd or 3rd.

For the sake of comparison, Mayfied was ranked #18 in all classes at the end of the 2010 regular season according to that site.
Wow, and according to that site the 1988 Pikeville team probably would have finished 2nd or 3rd in the Litratings behind Trinity and possibly Fort Knox. Fort Knox lost a game in the regular season but won a championship and Trinity and Pikeville finished as undefeated champions in 1988.
Mayfield finished the season in 78 as the #1 team according to Litkenhous, so, yes, they've had teams that could have beaten the other classes champions. People laugh about Mayfields 2010 team beating the other champions. I think they would have beaten the NCC team that won 2a and would have a great game if they had played Central. In saying that, that 87 Pikeville team was tremendous and dominant for that era. I agree that the 4 classes meant there was better competition in 1a back then there is now, but, with that said, they only had to win 3 games to claim a title where they have to win 5 now, so, it balances out. I don't recall ever seeing that team play, so, It'd be impossible for me to say, but, I do know that the 87 Pikeville was fast and big, but, the 10 Mayfield line would still have outweighed them by 30-35 lbs a man, just a difference in todays kids. They're just alot bigger and stronger nowadays than in those days. I do know that Mayfield was in the Top 10, #8 I believe in the final rankings in 2010, ahead of both Central and NCC. That wasnt the lit rankings though.
jetpilot Wrote:Wow, and according to that site the 1988 Pikeville team probably would have finished 2nd or 3rd in the Litratings behind Trinity and possibly Fort Knox. Fort Knox lost a game in the regular season but won a championship and Trinity and Pikeville finished as undefeated champions in 1988.

Now its the 1988 team. Lot of probably's . There is no probably in the Lit ratings. Mayfield has had at least a dozen teams better than any Pikeville team. Pikeville should never be mentioned with any of the best teams in the state. Also, I saw where there was thread in here titled !987 Pikeville vs 2009 Highlands....just proves a bunch of dimwits.
Just looked at some of the all time state records. At no point can you see Pikeville Ever ranked high than Mayfield in any ranking . Some drunk sports editor in the mountains must have nationally ranked them. They are not even close to being ranked in 1987 as the top team in Kentucky.
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Now its the 1988 team. Lot of probably's . There is no probably in the Lit ratings. Mayfield has had at least a dozen teams better than any Pikeville team. Pikeville should never be mentioned with any of the best teams in the state. Also, I saw where there was thread in here titled !987 Pikeville vs 2009 Highlands....just proves a bunch of dimwits.

You, sir, are a moron.

Confusednicker:
jetpilot Wrote:You, sir, are a moron.

Confusednicker:

Could be....better to be a smart moron than a dumb one...like you:biglmao:
Yep...a smart moron.:biggrin:
Oh, but yes lit does rank overall. I check them every year to do my posts on 1a games.
Pikeville also finish ranked ahead of Mayfield in 1991 according to that site smart moron. That made 4 years out of that 5 they were better than Mayfield.:eyeroll:
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Just looked at some of the all time state records. At no point can you see Pikeville Ever ranked high than Mayfield in any ranking . Some drunk sports editor in the mountains must have nationally ranked them. They are not even close to being ranked in 1987 as the top team in Kentucky.

Pull it up again and get your mommy to read it to you.

Confusednicker:
Killer in the Sun Wrote:Now its the 1988 team. Lot of probably's . There is no probably in the Lit ratings. Mayfield has had at least a dozen teams better than any Pikeville team. Pikeville should never be mentioned with any of the best teams in the state. Also, I saw where there was thread in here titled !987 Pikeville vs 2009 Highlands....just proves a bunch of dimwits.

:hilarious:
jetpilot Wrote:You, sir, are a moron.

Confusednicker:

I want in on this also Mayfield sucks. :lmao:
I love how the mountain brethren do this. They will post some out there, fantasy world statement as to why their bunch was better. Then when anyone disagrees they are a moron or their credibility is in question. Why do they do this, could it be because they so rarely can beat us on the field? It's just like the way we beat a Hazard team 47-6 in 2010 and then they beat us 24-6 the next year and oh my God they smoked us. I was always told to act like you've been there before.
64SUR Wrote:I want in on this also Mayfield sucks. :lmao:

:ref2: Mayfield will soon rule the world Confusednicker:
I tell you what, lets just see who is ahead of who at the end of this year. How about that? That's real world, no syfy. Do I have to explain what that means to yall?
mysonis55 Wrote:I love how the mountain brethren do this. They will post some out there, fantasy world statement as to why their bunch was better. Then when anyone disagrees they are a moron or their credibility is in question. Why do they do this, could it be because they so rarely can beat us on the field? It's just like the way we beat a Hazard team 47-6 in 2010 and then they beat us 24-6 the next year and oh my God they smoked us. I was always told to act like you've been there before.

You're not following that advice in this post. And I don't like Hazard, but they did smoke you.:truestory:
1987 Pikeville was ranked 12th, Mayfield 6th. 1991 Pikeville smoked by Beechwood 34-6.

What has Piikeville done since the late 80's??? I think there called a has been program.
I bet you weren't even there. 14-6 at half. They scored fairly well into 4th to make it 17-6. Then about 3 min left in game Jake threw a pick 6. They beat us and deserved the gold ball, but that isn't a blowout.
I wont say they are a has been. I have secretly been rooting for them since Panther put that great video out a couple years ago, just before they upset the Rams.
:biggrin::biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:You're not following that advice in this post. And I don't like Hazard, but they did smoke you.:truestory:

I guess you weren't at that game.....let your brother/daddy take care the still , so you can see some of the games or were you watching some old Piikeville 87 vcr tapes and saying " boys I think them there could beat the Green Bay Packers".
mysonis55 Wrote:I love how the mountain brethren do this. They will post some out there, fantasy world statement as to why their bunch was better. Then when anyone disagrees they are a moron or their credibility is in question. Why do they do this, could it be because they so rarely can beat us on the field? It's just like the way we beat a Hazard team 47-6 in 2010 and then they beat us 24-6 the next year and oh my God they smoked us. I was always told to act like you've been there before.

Hey Williamsburg play 2A Mayfield last year...wonder if size of schools makes a different. :pondering: should hurt mayfield in Fantasy football stats..Just saying
Killer in the Sun Wrote:1987 Pikeville was ranked 12th, Mayfield 6th. 1991 Pikeville smoked by Beechwood 34-6.

What has Piikeville done since the late 80's??? I think there called a has been program.

Again, tell your mommy to read my earlier post explaining that that was before the playoffs. Also get your mommy to look again and see who won a state championship that year and who got beat.

Pikeville still ranked above Mayfield in 1991.

If your mommy will let you stay up awhile longer, get her to look up 1999 and show you another year Pikeville as ranked above Mayfield. That's a bunch of years already, I'm sure we can find more.Confusedinglepar
mysonis55 Wrote:I bet you weren't even there. 14-6 at half. They scored fairly well into 4th to make it 17-6. Then about 3 min left in game Jake threw a pick 6. They beat us and deserved the gold ball, but that isn't a blowout.

Listened to it on the radio. It sounded real ugly. I do remember Mayfield had a great player who was slowed down in a big way by injury.
mysonis55 Wrote:I bet you weren't even there. 14-6 at half. They scored fairly well into 4th to make it 17-6. Then about 3 min left in game Jake threw a pick 6. They beat us and deserved the gold ball, but that isn't a blowout.

Pikeville was tied with Hazard the week before and the game was at Hazard. I think we can chalk up another year that Pikeville was better than Mayfield.TongueirateSho
Mayfield doing some research right now sleepless in Mayfield tonight. Confusederiously:
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next