Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williamsburg 53 South Laurel 51
SEKYFAN Wrote:I agree on keeping Davis. South use to get most of the talent from both sides of the county when Wright was there and that is not the case now.

Williamsburg has a good team, maybe not real consistent, but they are good enough to beat either Corbin or Whitley Co. in the finals and win a game in the region tourney.

Corbin and South Laurel split this year, with each winning on the others home court.

I think that's a fair assessment. You can't put this on Davis. Even with a 14-15 record, they had a pretty good year and took the top seed in the district. They just ran into a team that shot well and wanted to win. It happens every year to someone.

People cannot compare the current status of the South Laurel program to what it used to be, in Wright's heyday. Even Wright's last couple of seasons were not good. Wright is one of the best coaches in the entire state and it's not fair to Davis to compare the two.

With that said, North Laurel probably has the upper hand right now with the young talent they have contributing. They also have some very good players coming up through the middle school, as does South.

North won both games between the two this year and will probably be a top-five team in the region next year. But, Zac Baxter will be back and will be the top player in the region. That makes for a great rivalry in 2014-15.
TriCountySports Wrote:I think that's a fair assessment. You can't put this on Davis. Even with a 14-15 record, they had a pretty good year and took the top seed in the district. They just ran into a team that shot well and wanted to win. It happens every year to someone.

People cannot compare the current status of the South Laurel program to what it used to be, in Wright's heyday. Even Wright's last couple of seasons were not good. Wright is one of the best coaches in the entire state and it's not fair to Davis to compare the two.

With that said, North Laurel probably has the upper hand right now with the young talent they have contributing. They also have some very good players coming up through the middle school, as does South.

North won both games between the two this year and will probably be a top-five team in the region next year. But, Zac Baxter will be back and will be the top player in the region. That makes for a great rivalry in 2014-15.

I would take McDaniel over Baxter.

Corey Shelton's defense on Baxter was the main reason Williamsburg won. He kept Baxter from getting to the rim and turned him into a jump shooter, heck I will go as far to say that Shelton was by far the overall best player on the floor last night.
I'm not sold on Baxter being as good as advertised. I know he probably puts up good stats but he is required to do that because of his team. I can't see him being ranked higher than Barger, and I believe Jared Grubb could be a diamond in the rough if he continues to develop.
Great stats, not good stats I meant.