Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2A State Finals- Cov.Holy Cross 33 Glasgow 14
BOWLING GREEN, KY. — Kyle Fuller is not one of the big-name high school quarterbacks from Northern Kentucky.

Dixie Heights’ Zeke Pike is considered a top-50 prospect nationally, and Highlands’ Patrick Towles has committed to the University of Kentucky.

The 6-foot-1, 182-pound Fuller might not have the name, but he has a state championship trophy after leading Covington Holy Cross to a 33-14 win over Glasgow in Friday’s Class 2-A final before 7,077 fans at Houchens Industries/L.T. Smith Stadium.

“We have played the underdog at Holy Cross our whole entire sports career,” Fuller said. “We have always been thought of as the underdog, and I am completely content with continuing that role.”

Fuller completed 12 of 25 passes for 231 yards and four touchdowns, led the Indians in rushing with 33 yards and kicked three extra points. He came in averaging 275.1 yards a game.

“He’s been doing that all year long, and people just didn’t get a chance to see it until he got to the big stage,” Holy Cross coach Bruce Kozerski said.

Lamar Chames led the Indians with two catches for 77 yards and one TD, and Eric Walker had three catches for 40 yards and two TDs.

Paul Lampone had eight tackles, and Adam Kozerski had six, including three tackles for a loss and two sacks.

“We knew we were a great team, and we knew we had to step it up,” Lampone said. “This is an amazing feeling. We had so many people come to send us off, and it’s just a great feeling for us as a team.”

It is the first title in just the 14th year of varsity football for Holy Cross (11-3), which upset 2-A No. 1 Newport Central Catholic 24-21 in the third round.

“These kids did it,” Bruce Kozerski said. “I give them all the credit in the world. We beat a heck of a football team today. They just really wanted this as a group.”

Holy Cross outgained Glasgow only 282-272 but came up with a fumble and three interceptions.

Glasgow quarterback Parker Cash completed 5 of 13 passes for 120 yards and had 72 yards rushing and one TD. Jalen Sublett added 79 yards and one TD for the Scotties (14-1), who had trailed only briefly in one game the entire season

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2011312020094
[HTML]Glasgow 7 0 0 7 - 14
Cov. Holy Cross 0 12 7 14 - 33
G - Sublett 28 run (Baltazar kick). HC - Walker 7 pass from Fuller (kick blocked). HC - Walker 24 pass from Fuller (run failed). HC - Chames 62 pass from Fuller (Fuller kick). HC - Pouncy 18 pass from Fuller (Fuller kick). G - Cash 13 run (Baltazar kick). HC - Herndon 9 interception return (Fuller kick).
Gla CHC
Total yards 272 282
First downs 14 12
Rushes-yds. 39-152 24-51
Comp-Att-Int 5-13-3 12-25-1
Passing yards 120 231
Fumbles-lost 3-1 0-0
Penalties-yds. 6-65 8-72
Punts-avg. 1-28 4-40
RUSHING: Glasgow, Sublett 18-79, Cash 13-72, Smith 3-7, Botts 1-3, Bradley 1-2, Norris 1-(minus-1), team 2-(minus-10). Covington Holy Cross, Fulelr 12-33, Beal 8-17, Kohake 2-4, team 2-(minus-3).PASSING: Glasgow, Cash 5-13-3-120. Covington Holy Cross, Fuller 12-25-1-231.RECEIVING: Glasgow, Smith 2-75, Norris 1-34, Bowles 1-11, Sublett 1-0. Covington Holy Cross, Beal 4-50, Walker 3-40, Chames 2-77, Pouncy 2-38, Kohake 1-26.[/HTML]
Stardust Wrote:Who do they have to replace Fuller. This young man means so much to that offense, he has been the key ever since their loss to NCC in the season. He has done everything for this squad. Yesterday, he made "Football Plays" that you just don't ordinarily see from HS football players. He was so dynamic and creative with his decision making, those traits in a QB only come around every 25 years in a player.
Last year they replaced a D1 Quarterback in Arlinghaus with Fuller who had been playing wide receiver. There are some young athletes on that team.
Indianfan56 Wrote:Congrats HC! Great job #56!!! I couldn't be prouder as a fan, alumni, and parent.
Congradulations to Devin, a pick 6 in the state finals to help your team win is a thrill of a lifetime.:Thumbs:

It's good to see him doing well.
Norm Peterson Wrote:Congrats Holy Cross. After watching Somerset against both teams I picked HC 35-14, I pretty much had it except for a couple of extra-points.

Yes, I picked the exact same score and I as you did, based the score off the result of the Somerset game! Congrats to Holy Cross on a very impressive season!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Stardust Wrote:Probably not. I think HC loses too much

The QB will most likely be Travis Gabbard, 6'2 170 lb junior, he plays just like Jerry Arlinghaus did, needs to get a little quicker, but he'll be a pretty good fit back there. They also return Jalen Beal, Burt Pouncy, and 3 linemen on offense.

Defense is where they will lose a lot. It will be very hard to replace Koz, Lampone, Trunnell, Walker, Chames, Fuller, Kohake, and Dean
nky Wrote:Congradulations to Devin, a pick 6 in the state finals to help your team win is a thrill of a lifetime.:Thumbs:

It's good to see him doing well.

Thank you very much, he is doing great.
toussaints Wrote:The QB will most likely be Travis Gabbard, 6'2 170 lb junior, he plays just like Jerry Arlinghaus did, needs to get a little quicker, but he'll be a pretty good fit back there. They also return Jalen Beal, Burt Pouncy, and 3 linemen on offense.

Defense is where they will lose a lot. It will be very hard to replace Koz, Lampone, Trunnell, Walker, Chames, Fuller, Kohake, and Dean

I Could also see Koz going with Pouncy at QB and using Gabbard who has decent speed and size along with surprisingly good hands out at Wr. As for the defense I look for Cole Finke (So), Carey Sketch (Jr), Mike Groschen (Fr), David Lampke (Fr), and Will Knochleman (Jr) to all take part in filling the linebacker and end positions that HC will be losing. We may also see Munson fill in some more at DT when HC needs a little more size on the d-line. If there is any spot that HC may be uncertain about I would guess that it will be the depth of their secondary.