Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Calipari Signs Contract Extension at Kentucky
^ I really don't want to get into the "who should be coach UK" thing. I think everyone has taken my dislike for Cal as meaning I don't want him here. That's never been uttered from my mouth. The only comment that I have made about Cal is I hope he wins 10 championships and we get to keep them all and I don't care how he does it as long he doesn't get caught!

My loyalty is to UK, not the coach. Coaches come and go the the Blue and White will be there forever!
Stardust Wrote:^ I really don't want to get into the "who should be coach UK" thing. I think everyone has taken my dislike for Cal as meaning I don't want him here. That's never been uttered from my mouth. The only comment that I have made about Cal is I hope he wins 10 championships and we get to keep them all and I don't care how he does it as long he doesn't get caught!

My loyalty is to UK, not the coach. Coaches come and go the the Blue and White will be there forever!

Too many coaches come and go.... I think UK needs to have more loyalty to their coach....If we would let people stay around longer you never know how many titles we could be at...
This day and age i would take Cal, 10 years ago i take Pitino.
ekff Wrote:Too many coaches come and go.... I think UK needs to have more loyalty to their coach....If we would let people stay around longer you never know how many titles we could be at...

I'm not sure I follow you ekff. The only coach the was let go was BCG. Tubby left on his own, but not unlike Adolph Rupp, he was coerced to make that decision on his own.
Stardust Wrote:I'm not sure I follow you ekff. The only coach the was let go was BCG. Tubby left on his own, but not unlike Adolph Rupp, he was coerced to make that decision on his own.

I promise... Tubby didn't leave on his own...
I like Cal... honestly if he left I would be sad.. But I mean I would still be true to my state - even if we did suck again.
I know we are getting way off track, but I don't have to care anymore Big Grin

Anyway, Pitino did well at UK, went to UL and has been to one final 4 in 10 seasons....sound familiar? UK fans were screaming for Tubby's head on a platter BUT every UL fan that I know wants Pitino to stay forever when his 10 years at UL weren't even as good as Tubby's years at UK. Confusedhh:

Also it wasn't like UL was terrible when Pitino got there either, they were 4 years removed from an Elite 8.
LWC Wrote:I know we are getting way off track, but I don't have to care anymore Big Grin

Anyway, Pitino did well at UK, went to UL and has been to one final 4 in 10 seasons....sound familiar? UK fans were screaming for Tubby's head on a platter BUT every UL fan that I know wants Pitino to stay forever when his 10 years at UL weren't even as good as Tubby's years at UK. Confusedhh:

Also it wasn't like UL was terrible when Pitino got there either, they were 4 years removed from an Elite 8.

UL isnt UK,

Tubby got his first and only championship at UK with Pitino's Team. No if and or butts, That is a fact.

Once the recruits stopped coming to tubby we started losing in the 1st and 2nd rounds. It was sad, Cal plays a players game. He makes it fun to watch and fun for the players, While Tubbys style made me sleepy.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:UL isnt UK,

Tubby got his first and only championship at UK with Pitino's Team. No if and or butts, That is a fact.

Once the recruits stopped coming to tubby we started losing in the 1st and 2nd rounds. It was sad, Cal plays a players game. He makes it fun to watch and fun for the players, While Tubbys style made me sleepy.

I hate hearing that it was Pitino's Team. It was his players but Tubby's coaching that won the title. It might have made you sleepy but it won a title.
#1 Blackcat Fan Wrote:I hate hearing that it was Pitino's Team. It was his players but Tubby's coaching that won the title. It might have made you sleepy but it won a title.

You beat me to it. :Thumbs:

This is what I try to make everyone understand:

IN 1997 PITINO COULDN'T EVEN WIN WITH HIS PLAYERS, lol.
ekff Wrote:I know UK misses A LOT of 3's but that's when they should have went to a different O... But thats the dribble drive for ya... I put that on coaching... Cal don't have any kind of back up O...

Kentucky didn't run the dribble drive offense that season.

WVU ran a 1-3-1 which stopped Wall & Bledsoe from driving and it left us open for 3, which is what UK just couldn't convert on.
Stardust Wrote:^ I really don't want to get into the "who should be coach UK" thing. I think everyone has taken my dislike for Cal as meaning I don't want him here. That's never been uttered from my mouth. The only comment that I have made about Cal is I hope he wins 10 championships and we get to keep them all and I don't care how he does it as long he doesn't get caught!

Beautiful dust!! :notworthy

You are dead-on about Cal, players love to play for Cal. He enRiches their lives while they are in college:eyeroll:

The same players that lost in '97? And was it not Tubby who was the "recruiter" for UK during the Pitino years? Was it not the University that dictated to Tubby that they wanted players who would "GO" to class that caused him to change his recruiting? Looks like Deja-Vu all over again!
Either way you want to look at it SD..
I'd say that last years final 4 team vs elite 8 team (John Wall)..
The Knight team had a way better GPA compared to that team of hoodlums.

I mean you got Cousins (Thug), Wall (pretty boy thug) Eric Bledsoe (Thug) and Daniel Orton (Thug).. You think those guys are going to be worried about going to class??

I like the way you used enriches also LOL.
John Wall maintained a good GPA during the season. In the upper 3.something. But idk if he continued to go to class after the season.
Man this is stupid all these kids from the last two years knew they were going pro... I'd say they didn't have one hard class.
LWC Wrote:I like you ekff, you are fun to argue with and most of the time very accurate. However, you are dangerously close to the fan with too high of expectations.

Adolph Rupp. Considered one of, if not the, best coach ever; won a total of 4 championships in 41 years! Statistically 1 every 10+ years! 6 Final 4's.

For all of those great teams that Rick Pitino had he won 1 title in 8 years. Had 5 final 4 fours.

Joe B. Hall? 1 in 13 years. 3 Final 4's. Tubby Smith? 1 in 10 years. 1 Final 4's .

John Calipari? 0 in 2 seasons. 1 Final 4.

I understand that a title is the goal every season. However, when Cal made the statement about banners, do you not think he was tickled-pink when they got to the Final 4? Of course he was.

Too many UK fans say and some actually do believe that anything less than a championship is terrible and a failure. That means there have been 7 times in 107 years fans have been happy. So sad.

If I am misunderstanding you, please feel free to clarify my post.
Great post, totally agree.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:That team couldn't shoot the ball though.

All you had to do is find a good zone defensive team (like WVU had) and that UK team was beat.
I don't care, UK had BY FAR the most talented team that year. No Excuse not to win it. With the most talented team, a way should've easily been figured out how to beat stupid 1-3-1 zone and a vastly inferior team.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:YOu certainly have fewer fans, Maybe the same amount of true fans, But different amount of fans.

When kentucky started losing you lost many band wagon fans to duke and to UNC, Younger kids was seeing those teams when while we struggled. Now they dont see that. YOu have Facebook and twitter, It brings in the younger generation. Resulting in more fans.
Bingo!
ekff Wrote:Who would you all want coaching UK right now????

Tubby, Rich, or Cal?

Personally I wish Tubby was just there... I wished UK would have hung onto Tubby and let him retire from UK.

Don't get me wrong I like Cal, but I think he's more "talk" then "coach"......

Minnesota is trying to run Tubby out of town now. There's a reason he's about been ran out of his last two jobs. The 20 wins a year is cool, but with no post season success after the 98 season for UK fans is not going to fly. Nobody wants to watch boring basketball, that loses.
I hate losing more then I love winning.
MisterPerfect Wrote:Nowhere? Out of the top 25.. Enough said!!

Seriously? You can't sit there and say the same amount of people watched the games when Billy G was there. Kentucky was NOTHING compared to what it was before and after Billy G.

I can honestly say that there were times when i was so pissed after the first few minutes in a Billy G coached game that I would simply leave. We were so terrible that I was actually happy we were eliminated from the NIT because i knew it was the end or Billy G and the only way to go was up
^ What talent did UK have at that time that even made anyone think they were capable of success? I will give Credit to Cal for making it "cool" for recruits to come to UK, and UK lost favor with recruits for many years. That was due to the administration that was in the school when Tubby took over and he was told to bring in athletes who could graduate first, win second!
Rondo, Crawford, Morris was considered a great recruiting class. 2 of the 3 went to the NBA early, and Rondo has won a NBA title. What could have happened if Tubby had not employed pass 7 times before you shot??? and turned Rondo loose!!!!!
Jodie Meeks and Patrick Patterson should have been enough to at least get us to the NCAA tourney.
I never expected a title with those guys. I was just shocked he couldnt make the NCAA tourney. I mean look at all the cupcakes that get in.
With everything that has been said.... I do like Coach Cal, but like I said before "UK don't hang Final 4 banners!!!" So I don't think we need to pay a coach just for making the final 4 and being a great TALKER!!!!

When it comes down do it Coach Cal is going to win the hearts of MOST UK fans because he says what everyone wants to hear and people go crazy. He's the best talker in the game and his mouth is making him a lot of money.... A lot better talker then Coach.... If you keep putting NBA players out there playing against college teams you need to win one soon!!!!!
^ Very sound comment. If you have the BEST players in the country on your team, you are expected to win championships. If UK continues to put the best players in the nation on the floor, then titles should be expected no matter the coaching ability.
ekff Wrote:With everything that has been said.... I do like Coach Cal, but like I said before "UK don't hang Final 4 banners!!!" So I don't think we need to pay a coach just for making the final 4 and being a great TALKER!!!!

When it comes down do it Coach Cal is going to win the hearts of MOST UK fans because he says what everyone wants to hear and people go crazy. He's the best talker in the game and his mouth is making him a lot of money.... A lot better talker then Coach.... If you keep putting NBA players out there playing against college teams you need to win one soon!!!!!

UK does hang Final Four banners. UCLA is the team that just hangs Championship banners.
With the talent Cal in bringing in, he's eventually going to win one. He underachieved with last years team, and overachieved with this years team. This coming year he has another top 2 team, well see what happens. I honestly believes this team has a great chance at going 40-0. They have enough experience mixed with awesome freshman to be a great, great team.
LWC Wrote:You beat me to it. :Thumbs:

One of the stars was hurt during that season.
LWC Wrote:You beat me to it. :Thumbs:

Arguably their best player was injured during the NCAA Tournament; Derek Anderson.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:One of the stars was hurt during that season.

Tubby lost a star player during one of his runs as well. If it works for Rick it works for Tubby.