Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nicest Fields in Kentucky
I think our concessions needs a upgrade. I think where we have all the mobile booths, we could build a permanent concessions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
Clay Co. is slated for turf for the 2012 season.
Belfry's CAM Stadium

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
IMO, Breathitt has one of the nicest natural feilds in the state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="5"]
That Pretty Much Sums It Up.....
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
I prefer grass and I love my home field here at Mayfield
Best Field and Scoreboard Letcher County Central hands down.

Best Stadium, how about Owensboro, it is an old stadium but nice with the turf fiel
phs1986 Wrote:Belfry's CAM Stadium

Whenever I look at that field. I just see.. TRADITION!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Madison Southern will have one of the nicest turf fields in the state once they get it down. They start it may 15
Makes you wonder which will be the next eastern ky team to get turf? Other than Harlan Co.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR="Blue"]
My Priorities are:
1)God
2)Family
3)Cougar Athletics!

Everything else doesn't matter![/COLOR]
War Memoria in Mayfield has a nice field that drains well and is always pleasing to the eye.
Montgomery
Letcher Central
Hazard
Breathitt
what about Covington Catholic? There Field looks pretty Sweet
Strikeout King Wrote:what about Covington Catholic? There Field looks pretty Sweet

They've got the same issues as Highlands as far as the turf and that field is almost used everyday of the school year. football and soccer in the fall, lacrosse in the spring, and the baseball and track teams practice on there alot too. Its a nice place to watch a saturday afternoon game, but the turf itself needs to be replaced in the next few years
^ it looks pretty nice on the School's Website
I hate to be a homer but Montgomery Co with new turf and new ticket booth and walk ways is really nice. That being said could use a few more restrooms though.:biggrin:
toussaints Wrote:They've got the same issues as Highlands as far as the turf and that field is almost used everyday of the school year. football and soccer in the fall, lacrosse in the spring, and the baseball and track teams practice on there alot too. Its a nice place to watch a saturday afternoon game, but the turf itself needs to be replaced in the next few years

What issues does Highlands turf have?

Why do you think CovCath's turf needs to be replaced in the next few years?
charlie22 Wrote:What issues does Highlands turf have?

Why do you think CovCath's turf needs to be replaced in the next few years?

if you slide at CovCath or Highlands, you'll have alot of green strands left on you, which is ok for grass cause that grows back, but on fieldturf it obviously doesn't grow back, and with all those sports playing games and practicing on it, 10-15 years from now that field could have some serious bald spots that theyll have to keep filling with rubber pellets. outside of the turf itself, theyre both great places to watch a football game

also when i said a few years, i meant it in terms of the fieldturf itself, my bad on that part
toussaints Wrote:if you slide at CovCath or Highlands, you'll have alot of green strands left on you, which is ok for grass cause that grows back, but on fieldturf it obviously doesn't grow back, and with all those sports playing games and practicing on it, 10-15 years from now that field could have some serious bald spots that theyll have to keep filling with rubber pellets. outside of the turf itself, theyre both great places to watch a football game

also when i said a few years, i meant it in terms of the fieldturf itself, my bad on that part

My son played on Highlands field during the 09 season and never mentioned that. Some strands normally break off, but he didn't mention nor did I ever notice (and I stand in the endzone close to the field) any abnormal amount of green strands being on the players.

I don't think anyone is thinking about waiting another 10-15 years to replace the turf surface though. My guess is Highlands will get another 3 or 4 years out of the existing surface and then replace it. It's actually held up extremely well. Which is one of the benefits of going with Field Turf (which is the company that has installed the turf for almost all of the NFL teams). It holds up very well and has been the highest ranking artificial turf by the players association for the last 8 years.

I love the smell and feel of natural grass, but I have to acknowledge, artificial turf is the way to go from an economical and playability standpoint.
War Memorial may have decent turf but, in this day and time sitting on concrete slabs is old school. It also is one of the few stadiums where you could lose your step and actually fall to your death.
charlie22 Wrote:I love the smell and feel of natural grass, but I have to acknowledge, artificial turf is the way to go from an economical and playability standpoint.

very true, you save more money cause you don't have to water it or fill in spots with grass seed and you could use it year round. and im not saying those fields are in horrible condition, its just wore down some. but imagine if highlands or covcath still played on grass. i remember being at the mud bowl in 97 and the field was nothing but mud well before the game started
I have a question for those that know a lot about turf. When I visit Johnson Central or Sheldon Clark their turf is the bright green that looks like it did the day it was install. If look look at Pikeville's field from the day it was installed to the present, it is significantly a duller green. It must be the type of turf, but are there any ways to prevent this?
Panther Thunder Wrote:I have a question for those that know a lot about turf. When I visit Johnson Central or Sheldon Clark their turf is the bright green that looks like it did the day it was install. If look look at Pikeville's field from the day it was installed to the present, it is significantly a duller green. It must be the type of turf, but are there any ways to prevent this?

Didn't they just replace their turf last summer?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Panther Thunder Wrote:I have a question for those that know a lot about turf. When I visit Johnson Central or Sheldon Clark their turf is the bright green that looks like it did the day it was install. If look look at Pikeville's field from the day it was installed to the present, it is significantly a duller green. It must be the type of turf, but are there any ways to prevent this?
One other reason is over use. JC has nothing else going on on their field but football, as I recall. Can't speak to Sheldon Clark's. But I believe it may be a different type or a different color to begin with. I know that the brighter color of green is more reflective and potentially that was a deciding factor in choosing?

To answer MrPerfect's question, Yes, they did just replace it under warranty. There were issues with some seam spots, which were aggravated by overuse and type of cleats used by the different sports. It is one reason soccer has their own field now at PHS, and baseball and football are limited a little in the type of cleat they can use on the field.
This thread is useless without pics!
panther thunder Wrote:i have a question for those that know a lot about turf. When i visit johnson central or sheldon clark their turf is the bright green that looks like it did the day it was install. If look look at pikeville's field from the day it was installed to the present, it is significantly a duller green. It must be the type of turf, but are there any ways to prevent this?

spf 50, iyam
Bourbon County will have new field this coming year. Sports turf, new lights and new track. They are suppose to break ground before the end of school.
I have heard that they will be starting on Harlan County's field asap. Green Construction got the bid.
HC just let the bid go on the field. 3.35 Million on Phase 1. Construction to begin ASAP. Can't wait but really look forward to completion of Phase 2 & 3. HDE said there is a possibility we MIGHT get a game in there next year,
I agree with you Bear Paw, phase II and III will be the icing on the cake but I am happy to get phase I started. Exciting times in Harlan County!!!!!