Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(02-07-2021, 04:55 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Since I was sitting about 10 feet away from it as it happened, I will never forget the night Bobby Keith got hauled off to jail.  Some off-duty Barney Fife came up behind the Clay Co. bench and told Bobby to take it down a notch. Uh, wrong approach. Anyway it wound up with Bobby being taken out of the gym. We laughed about it after the fact, but it wasn’t funny when it happened.  That was in the 87-88 season, the senior year for the Farmers and Russ Chadwell, and the year after Clay had won the state. That team was 15 points better than the state championship team from the year before.

I knew that was going to be "cake" for you, VH.   I think there was some pushing and shoving on the court and then some fans may have entered the fray at some point. The off -duty trooper, wanting to prove his manhood, I guess,  cleared the court and told Coach Keith to tone it down. But Coach Keith was still hot and let the wannabe tyrant know about it. The trooper didn't like Coach's response and  the rest is history. Keith was arrested and  taken to jail.  He was  arraigned in a Knott Co. courtroom on Monday morning . Prosecutors agreed to drop the charges. 

Clay won that game against Buckhorn by nearly 50 points, btw.   Buckhorn went on to play in the state tournament that year for the first time in their history , narrowly losing to Covington Holmes.  Clay advanced to the state championship game, losing to Allan Houston and Ballard in their bid to repeat as state champions, despite 51 from Richie.

[Image: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DUpVnAJWAAg1...me=360x360]

Former Corbin coach and KHSAA legend, Billy Hicks, finished as the all-time winningest coach in KY with 1,013 wins(16th nationally, I believe.  Hicks came to Corbin after coaching three years at Harlan.

Coach Hicks began his head coaching career at what mountain school , the same school where he played and graduated from in 1970.   BONUS: If you really want to prove your Mountain trivia prowess , do you know where Coach Hicks played college basketball?
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-07-2021, 05:17 PM