Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your book recommendations
(08-23-2020, 09:32 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: You need to diversify!  Smile

Since CoVid, four of my old old high school buddies and I have formed a book club, and virtually meet once a month to discuss.  I am a mystery person, BUT the first two choices that we read were marvelous!

If you feel adventurous, try reading "Giver of the Stars".  It is a true story, with 5 fictional main characters and is a wonderful read.  It is set close to your old stomping grounds.

Another one we read that I just loved is "Where the Crawdads Sing".  Another great read!!!
Point taken, Granny. My current reading habits do extend beyond sci-fi, but that is where most of my time spend reading fiction lies. Most of my reading actually involves non-fiction computer, 3D printing, and ham radio books and articles.

Thank you for the recommendations. I have added both books to my Audible wish list.

If you are not a sci-fi fan, then you may enjoy these:

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris- This is a historical novel closely based on a true story of a Jewish French Army officer, Major Alfred Dreyfus, who was framed, charged, tried, and convicted of treason in France in the late 19th century. The French government made Dreyfus the most hated man in France and even re-opened the notorious Devil's Island prison, where Dreyfus became its only prisoner before he was finally cleared of any wrongdoing. The French government expected Dreyfus to die of some tropical disease or be driven to suicide on the island. The description of life in Paris, espionage, and investigation methods employed in the 19th century are very interesting. The story is one of the most disturbing miscarriages of justice that I can imagine but it is also a very inspirational story with several heroic characters. I listened to the Audible version and the narration was excellent.

Besides sci-fi, I also enjoy good post-apocalyptic books, which are usually not sci-fi. There are a couple of authors who are from Virginia that have written series of novels that are set in Virginia and eastern Kentucky, with part of one series taking place along the Appalachian Trail. I think that you would enjoy the following series by Franklin Horton, who lives in the mountains of western Virginia:

The Borrowed World series

Locker 9 series

Mad Mick series (spin-off of Locker 9 series)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Granny Bear
Messages In This Thread
Your book recommendations - by Hoot Gibson - 08-18-2020, 01:15 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Hoot Gibson - 08-22-2020, 05:15 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Granny Bear - 08-23-2020, 09:32 AM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Hoot Gibson - 08-23-2020, 12:25 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Granny Bear - 08-25-2020, 12:07 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Westside - 09-03-2020, 01:13 AM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Spirit100 - 09-21-2020, 09:06 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by Westside - 09-29-2020, 01:30 PM
RE: Your book recommendations - by wheeler - 11-28-2020, 03:00 AM