Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
who would be opposed to this rule change regarding holdbacks...
There is no such thing as a "Sports Only" hold back even if that is the primary motivation. Allowing a kid to have an additional year at home and in school is a benefit that extends way beyond sports even if you don't know it when you give them that opportunity.

The issue of fairness is also not rightly considered here. Older kids do better in academics, socially, and of course athletically. There is a cut off date for all sports. The closer you are born to that cut off date the older you will be in that cohort and the more likely you will flourish. Holding a kid back in many circumstances simply moves him from the young side of that equation to the older side. Thus removing a disadvantage that has, in fact, proven to accumulate over time. This has been well documented in published studies. Read Malcolm Gladwell's best seller "Outliers" where he points out these studies and shows with scientific precision how "age vs peers" is a determining factor for many components of performance for children as they progress through school.

I frankly wish every school ensured all kids graduate at 19. That would keep the playing field level. But it is ridiculous and frankly, counterproductive for anyone to suggest that the year a child's family elects to have them repeat a grade in order to provide them the greatest chance for success in the classroom, sports, music, and any other endeavor they may pursue - that that year they should be banned from participating in organized sports.

The long term objective of school, sports, band, music, etc. is to prepare a young person for college and/or career. Having an extra year to accomplish that is a positive choice that many families are choosing. My oldest son has most of his education paid for today via football scholarship that never would have occurred had he not repeated the 6th grade. But that is the smallest benefit we realized. He was in my home for an extra year and had an extra year to prepare for the academic challenge in school. His life will forever be improved by a choice we made many years ago and I hope others will never take that away from other families who would like to do the same for thier son or daughter.
Messages In This Thread
who would be opposed to this rule change regarding holdbacks... - by Football1 - 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM