Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hall of Fame - who is close, but no cigar?
Some people are unlikely to enter the HoF due to controversy or personal issues - Randy Savage, Owen Hart and Chris Benoit come to mind. Others, however, simply weren't that good.

As far as I am concerned Koko B. Ware is the bar. He is in the Hall of Fame.
How did he do that? He wasn't just a jobber. He was a jobber with a parrot. To be fair he made enough of an impact to be remembered. So if your legacy is equal to or bigger than Koko's you're in. A feat far from impossible.

But it is actually quite surprising to consider how many people actually fall blow that. I could run down a whole list, but I'll go with the name at the top of my head, which is Andrew "Test" Martin.

Test was there for a couple of years. He was in the mildly successful tag team T&A (which, by the way, was the launching pad for Trish Stratus), he was in that storyline where he was supposed to marry Stephanie, he won a couple of midcard titles, underwent several makeovers (e.g. with Stacey Keibler, when he walked around in what seemed to be blue briefs and called his fans "Testicles" - odd that that didn't catch on) and he had several matches at Wrestlemania.

In the end he was an on again, off again WWE performer, always lacking in charisma, lastly seen ridiculously roided up and putting over Bobby Lashley as the ECW champion.

Soon afterwards he died of substance abuse.

All in all he was there, he got noticed, he achieved this and that, but ultimately he fell short. In my opinion he was not Hall of Fame material.

So, who do you think comes close but doesn't quite get there? I've wanted to talk about this in the past, but never seemed enough interest at BGR
Messages In This Thread
Hall of Fame - who is close, but no cigar? - by Stardust - 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM