Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Mountain rb's that you have seen over the past 10 years
Flowmaster Wrote:
HappyGilmore Wrote:
Flowmaster Wrote:I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Michael West from Lawrence Co. He has to be the best, if not the best. 7,000+ rushing yards and didn't play any until halfway through is Freshman season. Quickest kid I've ever seen in pads.

I mentioned him, but to me he wasn't as good as Howard, Jones, Coleman, Robbins, or Renfro.

Actually, I thought he was the 2nd best runner on his team (Dontae Wright).

Also saw him head to head against Barret Rogers and Howard (Howard was a freshman). I'd take either Rogers or Howard, as a freshman, over West.

Granted I only saw a handful of games, but thats what I saw.

He wasn't as good, you have got to be pretty good to be the second best rusher in KHSAA history. Doug is the leading rusher at Belfry and that is all anyone can say about it. He didn't come no where close to 7,000 yards. I was hoping that West would end up at my alma mater, but he decided to go to Marshall. As a freshman Howard nor Rogers had 2,000 yards like West. Dontae was an option QB his senior year, and that is why he was dangerous. The majority of Howard's yards came against sub-par competition i.e. Pike Central, Shelby Valley, Magoffin Co, Sheldon Clark, East Ridge. West played tougher competition throughout his high school career. He was quicker, and more elusive than Howard. Both backs could run over you, but I know where you are coming from and why you see Howard as the best. If you sit back and actually watch the kids whole career you can understand why I pick West as being much greater than either Rogers and Howard.

Who did Lawrence Co. play that would make you think West played against tougher competition?

West is not the 2nd leading rusher in KHSAA history, but 7,000 yards is a lot. I never said it wasn't. Howard finished with 5,300 and a State Finals rushing record 278 yards. You're right, thats not impressive at all.

I saw West 5 times, Rogers about 10, and Howard plenty of times. And not one time did I think West was as good as Lawrence Co. fans make him out ot be. BTW...I'm not the only guy on here who said Howard.

West was a really good back, on an even better team. Howard and Jones, who I also think is better than West, were great backs on good teams.
Messages In This Thread
Best Mountain rb's that you have seen over the past 10 years - by HappyGilmore - 02-07-2005, 10:53 PM