Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Harlan County 66 Clay County 60 (13th Region Semifinal)
(03-09-2024, 09:33 PM)HCS Wrote: They took a lot of offense on that call in 1994 :) That may have been Harlan's best team and the one in 1995 made it to the final four.

As for Cottrell, he has been nothing short of amazing the last month of the season. He is extremely athletic and has really grown up. He may have suffered a broken wrist tonight but gutted it out even though his shooting was clearly not the same tonight.

To the bolded: that's what I remembered too, but I wanted to be sure. :)

I think that the 1995 Harlan loss was probably the end of the Golden Era in the 13th. There have been some really good teams since, but I don't know that there's been teams that break into national rankings or are seen as legit state contenders since then. Maybe a team like '06 South Laurel or '23 North Laurel here and there, but nothing like the heyday that began in the 80's.

I didn't see the Boyd County game but heard that Cottrell played really well in that one too. Big loss if he's out and hope that he's able to go. You hate to see anyone lose a kid ever, but it's especially tough at this point in the season and even tougher for a team built for what may be a once-in-a-generation type run.