Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What key players are returning for another Sr. Year?
Respectfully disagree that education is the sole purpose of the bill. If education is the primary purpose of the bill, then why add section 4 of the bill, which discusses a fifth year of eligibilty. I do agree, I see the gaps in the education with my son and his classmates, but the legislature has passed this law that allow any 9-12 grade student this year to get a fifth year (From the pdf I read), as long as the student meets the KHSAA age limit; which throws all the blame back to the KHSAA. So the legislatures looks like heroes for letting students gain an extra year, but the KHSAA gets the blame for those that do not.

Do not get me wrong, I agree that a 20 year old does not need to compete against younger freshman and sophomores, but the KHSAA does allow kids to compete while 19 (if born by August 1). What is the difference between a kid born on July 31 and August1? As well as, is it equitable to the 8th graders coming up knowing possible a majority of the athletes ahead of them have another 1-4 years of eligiblity.
I really think once this bill passes today, the KHSAA should review the age limitation bylaw and amend it to allow any student-athlete covered by Senate Bill 128 the opportunity to compete in a sport, unless they turn 20 during a sports season. (Basically can not turn 20 an anypoint of a sports season, so you may be eligible for football but not basketball.)

Sorry for being on soapbox, but never should have had athletics in the bill.
Messages In This Thread
RE: What key players are returning for another Sr. Year? - by TheBear - 03-15-2021, 04:39 PM