Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA?
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:^
Im just curious to know how many times a year schools cancel practice because of heat?
When i was in school, a little over 10 years ago, we hardly got water breaks, much less days off because it was hot. It reached a 100 degrees multiple times in the summer of 98 and 00, and we practiced as usual and everybody was okay, with a water break about every 45 minutes to an hour.
Since this rule was put into to place, how many ties have schools cancelled practice?

I know some schools 'move inside' instead of cancelling. So players are to bring gym shoes to practice on days where the heat may be too high.

I believe a major change is the use of artificial turf fields. These fields are great for much greater use but they do have a downside - heat.

Being artificial and most (if not all) have black colored ground rubber base that heats up faster and holds the day time heat - even into the early evening. The heat index on turf field may be 10-20 degrees higher than an adjacent natural field. So when schools practice on turf they need to be measuring heat indexes more often and sooner than natural fields.
Messages In This Thread
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA? - by NEXT - 01-02-2012, 01:03 AM
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA? - by HKC#59 - 01-07-2012, 05:03 PM
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA? - by KMSFA2 - 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA? - by KYMSFA - 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM
KHSAA trying to do away with KYMSFA? - by Bluegrasscard - 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM