Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Xavier boys win 24th straight state swim title
Cooper sophomore Sharli Brady celebrated her first appearance at the KHSAA swimming and diving championships with a pair of state titles on Saturday. She became the first swimmer in Cooper's four-year history to win a championship, set a record and be named first-team all-state.

"Sharli is such a down-to-earth girl but she tries really hard, and usually success follows," Cooper coach Lisa Harkrader said.

• Enquirer's Recruiting Trail blog
• Enquirer high school sports blog
• Check us out on Facebook
• More prep coverage

Brady won the the 500-yard freestyle final in 4 minutes and 47.56 seconds at Louisville's Ralph Wright Natatorium, bettering the eight-year-old record of 4:48.79 by Sacred Heart's Caroline Burckle.

"She didn't know she was close to the record on Friday," Harkrader said of Bradi's season-finishing bursts. "When I told her she was close in the preliminaries, she said she could have held another breath."

Brady on Saturday also won the 200 individual medley final in 2:02.36 while helping the Jaguars to a program-best 10th-place team finish. "My goal is to always go as fast as I can and help my teammates," said Brady, who transferred from Notre Dame Academy.
Messages In This Thread
St. Xavier boys win 24th straight state swim title - by Stardust - 02-26-2012, 02:53 AM