Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition)
In 1988 JCHS was loaded, that was when they had Chris Deaton and Bryan Hall. Bryan Hall was ever bit as good a football as Channing Fugate about the same size and speed. Bryan Hall High Jumped over 6 feet 2 inchs, I dought Fugate could. Ronnie Wells a PHS alum had developed these guys he was 2-1 in the Apple Bowl. He had the cornor turned pretty MUCH with JCHS football. In 1987 he lost 7 or 8 starters to injury but still won the Apple Bowl. People forget, Ronnie took a group of freshmen and Sophmores to Pikeville and whipped them right there on there home field in a JV game that Bobby Deramus and Honaker played in. They fired Ronnie and gave the job to Steve Trimble who had never coached varsity football before. Ronnie Took his sons JJ and Greg Slone to Paintsville with him. In 88' JCHS comes into the Apple Bowl 5-1 won and lose in double overtime after missing a PAT that would have won the game. After that Apple Bowl JCHS never recovered , and finished in tie for second in the District and lost the tie breaker and a Chance to go to the playoffs. At that time all JCHS fans cared about was the Apple Bowl and it really ment nothing in the big Picture of things. The worst thing that ever happened to JCHS football was when they fired Ronnie Wells after the 87 season. There was another talented athlete who High Jumped 6 feet 8 inchs, this guy still holds the record a JCHS in the 110 high Hudlers and High Jump that the brillant Steve Trimble played at offensive tackle. It was a shame that Greg Slone and JJ didnt and that 88' 89 bunch didnt get to stay together. The best thing besides hiring Matney as coach to happen to JCHS football was ending the APPLE Bowl! I am not downing Steve Trimble he is great guy and a honest man. I have followed football for year and when Matney gets a group with the size and raw talent like the Class of 89' and 90' at JCHS that when he will win a State title. Like I said I go back a long way in Football in Johnson Co, in 89 JCHS had a pretty good team and a Track star playing O-tackle for them. Trimble had to make sure Darren Gamble AKS Steve JR got his carries. To give u guys a idea of who the track star is, IAN WELCHs mom and this guys DAD are bother and sister a family full of athletes.
Messages In This Thread
The Apple Bowl: Paintsville and Johnson Central (A lost tradition) - by Unregistered - 09-06-2011, 04:23 AM