Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I love UK Basketball....Do I have to love Cal?
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I realize that Coach Cal isn't a great X's and O's guy, but he's everything UK wanted after BCG was fired. He immediately brought in the nations #1 recruiting class that had 4 NBA players in it and brought that spark back that I mentioned in my first post.

I see where those who dislike Coach Cal are coming from and I'm very satisfied with him thus far and I'm also very thankful for what he's already done for UK. He doesn't have a great track record, but he's a winner and recruits the best of the best and will do whatever it takes to keep our fan-base satisfied.

Here's the way I see it though, if we're winning, the Coach Cal naysayers are going to keep quite. Once we lose a game or two that UK was supposed to win the naysayers grow legs and begin to raise questions, but hey, that's sports and part of being a fan.

I do it and so does everyone else.

First and foremost, I am not a naysayer. I stated my reasons soundly at the beginning of this thread, and I have gotten a kick out of watching the direction go all over the place. I never EVER have liked Cal. And many times I have stated that the reason I do not like Cal has nothing to do with X's and O's or whether he wins 20% of his games at UK or 99% of his games at UK. I have never liked him, and am not sure that I ever will.

I have said many times since he was hired, that I hope he wins UK championships, and I hope he does. But that does not mean I will ever come to the "side" of his charecter!

Have I questioned his ability to coach? Heck yes, and I am not convinced that he is anything other than average at "In-Game" coaching. Have I been upset with the actions he takes or the plays that he either calls or does not call, Yes: I did it with BCG, Tubby, Pitino, Sutton. I do it with Dusty and the Reds as well as Marvin and the Bengals. If that's a naysayer, then every single one of us are naysayers.

His ability to coach versus ability to recruit is an apples and oranges discussion that very few recognize. I don't care that Cal came here and put five guys in the NBA draft. All five of those guys would have been in the draft whether they played for Cal or not. So how does one give him credit for his ability to put them in the NBA?

Like I said, this thread took a life of it's own and many people have put their own words in ol'e Dusty's mouth. Trust me, there is enough **** in there that no one else needs to help put more in :biggrin:
Messages In This Thread
I love UK Basketball....Do I have to love Cal? - by Stardust - 02-09-2011, 11:10 AM