•  Previous
  • 52(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County Coaching search
redrocket Wrote:I don't think we will win district i think we have a more realistic shot in doing that than the 0% chance we have at region and state. Our younger classes are not very good right now we don't have much talent coming up. The talent we do have in middle school are former coaches sons. Youth league is a mess anyway hard to tell. Dudley was a great coach for us and Mills was good but make no mistake that those guys had talent. i just don't think we have anywhere near that same talent level right now.

Same stuff I had heard but I was not sure if it was just sour grapes. Future for sure does not look good. Maybe The old man will just try to make some money on top of retirement.
By no means do i have all of the answers. What i do know is there is no quick fix here. IMO i would love for us to get a young coach whether is be a young head coach or good young assistant. The reason being is we need someone who understand whats going on and in invested to build this thing back to where is needs to be. The talent isn't where it once was so none is going to come in and work miracles so i would rather us get a coach that is invested that can grow with the program and we have someone long term. All this talk about the next guy is a short timer as well as the admin is just crazy were never going to get a decent coach talking that way. And i have been guilty of it myself. I believe its time to swallow the sour grapes make some phone calls to some young coaches hire the one that has potential and i will be invested in building this program and us as a fan base get behind them and do it together. As i said were going to take lumps in coming years might as well do it with someone that is young and can build with the program..If not were going to be sitting here in 2-3 years doing the same thing!
redrocket Wrote:By no means do i have all of the answers. What i do know is there is no quick fix here. IMO i would love for us to get a young coach whether is be a young head coach or good young assistant. The reason being is we need someone who understand whats going on and in invested to build this thing back to where is needs to be. The talent isn't where it once was so none is going to come in and work miracles so i would rather us get a coach that is invested that can grow with the program and we have someone long term. All this talk about the next guy is a short timer as well as the admin is just crazy were never going to get a decent coach talking that way. And i have been guilty of it myself. I believe its time to swallow the sour grapes make some phone calls to some young coaches hire the one that has potential and i will be invested in building this program and us as a fan base get behind them and do it together. As i said were going to take lumps in coming years might as well do it with someone that is young and can build with the program..If not were going to be sitting here in 2-3 years doing the same thing!

Pete Caroll is 64 years old
All the Pete Carroll stuff confuses me. How much actual coaching does he do on a day to day? Does he coach a position? Conditioning? Weights? The new coach here will be doing it all. Zero help. Most of these big time coaches in college and NFL do very little actual coaching. They are mostly organizers.
Finis Wrote:All the Pete Carroll stuff confuses me. How much actual coaching does he do on a day to day? Does he coach a position? Conditioning? Weights? The new coach here will be doing it all. Zero help. Most of these big time coaches in college and NFL do very little actual coaching. They are mostly organizers.

I'm glad you're not in a position to hire someone and speak publicly about it because age discrimination is illegal in the U.S.
And discrimination crap is why Trump will be our new president. Everyone is so tired of the Politically correct BS.
Finis Wrote:And discrimination crap is why Trump will be our new president. Everyone is so tired of the Politically correct BS.

I stated a LAW of the United States, not my opinion and not political correctness, a LAW. I wonder if you actually know what political correctness is.

People who can't put 2 actual facts together to form a thought is why Trump is doing well, and why Obama has been President for 7 years.
So are they any closer to hiring someone?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
I agree with the last part.

I find it funny that I have been told the group that met with the new candidate had a group of parents that don't have kids on the team??? How much sense does that make. Now they have involved other people? Just keeps getting stranger and stranger. That is from a board member who continues to laugh as he looks on.
Iam4thecats Wrote:Pete Caroll is 64 years old

Thats fine i don't care how old pete carol is or how old potential head coach is. I said MY OPINION is we need to get a young coach to build with. Thats what every team does on every level. Go back and look at all the hires this year in college football I didn't see a lot of 65 year olds getting jobs. Im in no way saying an older coach isn't capable but for our situation to build this program for the future we need a young coach to build with not a coach who is older again JMO
Two of my closest friends...both teach and, along with their father (retire teacher) inherited their family farm. It's about 350 total acres....most of which they lease out, but 50-75 acres that they actually work/grow/sell hay from. It's more of a hobby, a way to stay connected to their family roots, pays for vacations and other things. Simply just extra cash.

....moral of that? Every year, their realization of "We don't HAVE to do this." sets in more and more (takes up most all of their summers, much like football does these days).

I think that's the hesitation with hiring already retired football coaches. That thought process of "I don't have to do this" is there (not that any of us HAVE to do anything, but for those out there wanting to take that literal..I think you know what I mean).

With that said, if someone with his credentials WANTS the job....hire him.

As Cats said, Pete Carroll is in his 60's, as his Nick Saban, Les Miles I think is right at 60- I think there are more out there than we all realize. Then again, to play the other side of that coin, they are all making 7 figures instead of 7,000.......has a little bit of an effect on their "Why" one would guess.
Iam4thecats Wrote:I'm glad you're not in a position to hire someone and speak publicly about it because age discrimination is illegal in the U.S.

So is the way this hiring process has been handled from the top down.
I have a couple questions for anyone that might know.
1 Have they actually interviewed someone who applied for the job.
2 Where are they coming up with some of these people that are being approached about the the job.
3 Are they offering these people more money than they where paying there past coaches.
insideinfo Wrote:I have a couple questions for anyone that might know.
2 Where are they coming up with some of these people that are being approached about the the job.
3 Are they offering these people more money than they where paying there past coaches.

These two things interest me as well. It seems like there is a committee but there really isn't a committee? That there are people with their own agendas but they are speaking on behalf of the school? It's all incredibly confusing. Whoever gets this job will be a legend just for being the footnote to the craziest coaching search in Kentucky High School Football history.
Finis Wrote:And discrimination crap is why Trump will be our new president. Everyone is so tired of the Politically correct BS.

I strongly agree with that last statement Smile
The Eagle has landed Wrote:NO there haven't been anyone that had 2 D 1 Dlineman one of which played in the NFL, 1 NFL TE that also played Defensive in high school and a first team ACC guard in 2A football in Ky!!!!! You are not talking about Texas high school football buddy. To have that many D 1 players on any football team in this state is unheard of. I would say Trinity hasn't had that to many times!

Ballard
Bloomfield, Joey 2013 University of Kansas
Bush, Will 2014 Western Kentucky University
Byrd, Dontez 2013 University of Louisville
Hardin, Drew 2010 Indiana University
Hardin, Forisse 2011 Indiana University
Lewis, Cam 2012 Western Kentucky University
Parker, DeVante 2011 University of Louisville
Walker, Chris 2009 University of Louisville

Won 0 state titles with this bunch

Beechwood
Davis, Drew 2008 University of Louisville
Mainello, Dominic 2008 University of Cincinnati
Slusher, Brady 2009 University of Cincinnati
Teipel, Neico 2008 Ohio University
Colosimo, Michael 2011 University of Cincinnati

Won 2 State Titles with this bunch

Boone County

Brown, Kenny 1983 University of Kentucky
Nelson, Jeff 1984 University of Kentucky
Schillfarth, Jeff 1985 University of Kentucky
Shannon, John 1983 University of Kentucky, Chicago Bears
Shehan, Bill 1985 University of Kentucky

0 State Titles

Bowling Green

Wallace, Ryan 2008 University of Colorado, University of Kentucky
Tinius, Casey 2007 Western Kentucky University
Steelman, Trent 2008 Army
Moore, D.L. 2008 University of South Carolina
Hines, Stuart 2007 University of Kentucky
Hibbitt, Avery 2007 Western Kentucky University
Eakles, Clint 2006 Marshall University
Beard, Ryan 2007 Western Kentucky University
Carpenter, Jared 2008 Northwestern University

Hey Eagle. Here is a team with 9 D1 that did not win a title !!

Bryan Station

Burbage, Cornell 1983 University of Kentucky, Dallas Cowboys
Dawson, Dermontti 1984 University of Kentucky, Pittsburgh Steelers
Logan, Marc 1983 University of Kentucky, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers
Sykes, Kermit 1982 Vanderbilt University

3 NFLers. 1 HOF 0 State Titles

still Bryan Station different era

Wilhite, D.L. 2008 University of Minnesota
Philon, Roy 2009 University of Louisville
Miller, Darrian 2011 University of Kentucky
Combs, Terrell 2008 University of Minnesota

Covington Catholic

Popham, Shane 2007 Wake Forest, University of Cincinnati
Castenada, Joe 2007 University of Louisville
Bleser, Josh 2007 University of Louisville
Donoghue, Mike 2005 University of Louisville

1 State Title

There are many more examples. You do not have to agree with me in thinking Chuck Smith is a very good coach. If you don't think so that's OK I would lose any sleep over it. BTW Trinity has at least 4 D1 players (fbs) and 3 FCS in this years class alone.

Max Martin, Trinity - Louisville
Vince Lococo, Trinity - Louisville
Rod jay Burns, Trinity - Ohio State
Andrew Hughes, Trinity - Louisville
Connor Foos, Trinity - Eastern Kentucky
Damon Lowe, Trinity - Eastern Kentucky
Dalton Jones, Trinity - Morehead State

Buddy
The Eagle has landed Wrote:NO there haven't been anyone that had 2 D 1 Dlineman one of which played in the NFL, 1 NFL TE that also played Defensive in high school and a first team ACC guard in 2A football in Ky!!!!! You are not talking about Texas high school football buddy. To have that many D 1 players on any football team in this state is unheard of. I would say Trinity hasn't had that to many times!

BTW Woodford Co had 3 !! D1 linemen on their team this year and won 3 games.
Sorry about the highjacking the thread. Gotta post something to keep this thread growing.
Any news, did the retired coach take it? I agree with one thing red rocket says, go young. If this guy takes it, what are we doing in 5 years......let me tell you....55 pages on BGR again, and if the principal is still at Bell, we may never recover.
insideinfo Wrote:I have a couple questions for anyone that might know.

I know the thread is long, but I will recap. Richard Gambrel (principal) , Tom Lefevers (AD) and John Brock Jr (pizza boy) are supposed to be a committee. What they have done is think of a coach they want and call them and try to talk them into it. Many times on their own and without the other knowing it. They have even repeated begging several multiple times. This is what we have running our schools, people that can not make a simple hire or deliver a pizza, I mean coach.
I know I'll probably get bashed by a lot of people on here but let me say this. If we can get the guy that interviewed this week we better get him. Everyone says get a young guy but I have to disagree, I would rather have someone at this point that has been around awhile and has a lot of experience as a head coach. To here some of you on here you act as if our program is in the toilet. It's not. I think firing Mills was a BAD mistake, but it is what it is and we need a coach who can hold things together and move on. Remember, with age comes wisdom. Some of you that keep this doom and gloom attitude up ain't helping nothing. This is just the opinion of someone that goes to all the games, home and away, not just 2 or 3 a year.
What we need is a new principal and AD. The coach is not going to matter, whoever it is. The program is not in the toilet , but zero talent coming and losing young kids as we speak. Doom and gloom is not anger , it is reality that many do not understand. If you go to all the games then maybe you know what is coming up? This is truth about the program. I can lie for all the candidates, but if they base their decision on BGR posts , may not need them anyway.
jax Wrote:I know I'll probably get bashed by a lot of people on here but let me say this. If we can get the guy that interviewed this week we better get him. Everyone says get a young guy but I have to disagree, I would rather have someone at this point that has been around awhile and has a lot of experience as a head coach. To here some of you on here you act as if our program is in the toilet. It's not. I think firing Mills was a BAD mistake, but it is what it is and we need a coach who can hold things together and move on. Remember, with age comes wisdom. Some of you that keep this doom and gloom attitude up ain't helping nothing. This is just the opinion of someone that goes to all the games, home and away, not just 2 or 3 a year.

Good post and in agreement with most all of it. This person interviewed I think has good qualities and probably knows the game. Heard good things. I think his age will play a factor as it will be a change for the boys and seeing how they relate age wise will be intwresring. All these months with little or no weight program may bite us harder than anything. Need to get that part back on track in a hurry. Firing Mills has hit our boys in the gut and was a mistake and losing all the help. I hope we can recover and get back on the road we are use to. Ive been a Bell follower a long time. We've got to get back on our feet.
Hoping they have finally found their guy amidst all of this.....
64black&gold Wrote:Ballard
Bloomfield, Joey 2013 University of Kansas
Bush, Will 2014 Western Kentucky University
Byrd, Dontez 2013 University of Louisville
Hardin, Drew 2010 Indiana University
Hardin, Forisse 2011 Indiana University
Lewis, Cam 2012 Western Kentucky University
Parker, DeVante 2011 University of Louisville
Walker, Chris 2009 University of Louisville

Won 0 state titles with this bunch

Beechwood
Davis, Drew 2008 University of Louisville
Mainello, Dominic 2008 University of Cincinnati
Slusher, Brady 2009 University of Cincinnati
Teipel, Neico 2008 Ohio University
Colosimo, Michael 2011 University of Cincinnati

Won 2 State Titles with this bunch

Boone County

Brown, Kenny 1983 University of Kentucky
Nelson, Jeff 1984 University of Kentucky
Schillfarth, Jeff 1985 University of Kentucky
Shannon, John 1983 University of Kentucky, Chicago Bears
Shehan, Bill 1985 University of Kentucky

0 State Titles

Bowling Green

Wallace, Ryan 2008 University of Colorado, University of Kentucky
Tinius, Casey 2007 Western Kentucky University
Steelman, Trent 2008 Army
Moore, D.L. 2008 University of South Carolina
Hines, Stuart 2007 University of Kentucky
Hibbitt, Avery 2007 Western Kentucky University
Eakles, Clint 2006 Marshall University
Beard, Ryan 2007 Western Kentucky University
Carpenter, Jared 2008 Northwestern University

Hey Eagle. Here is a team with 9 D1 that did not win a title !!

Bryan Station

Burbage, Cornell 1983 University of Kentucky, Dallas Cowboys
Dawson, Dermontti 1984 University of Kentucky, Pittsburgh Steelers
Logan, Marc 1983 University of Kentucky, Cincinnati Bengals, Miami Dolphins, San Francisco 49ers
Sykes, Kermit 1982 Vanderbilt University

3 NFLers. 1 HOF 0 State Titles

still Bryan Station different era

Wilhite, D.L. 2008 University of Minnesota
Philon, Roy 2009 University of Louisville
Miller, Darrian 2011 University of Kentucky
Combs, Terrell 2008 University of Minnesota

Covington Catholic

Popham, Shane 2007 Wake Forest, University of Cincinnati
Castenada, Joe 2007 University of Louisville
Bleser, Josh 2007 University of Louisville
Donoghue, Mike 2005 University of Louisville

1 State Title

There are many more examples. You do not have to agree with me in thinking Chuck Smith is a very good coach. If you don't think so that's OK I would lose any sleep over it. BTW Trinity has at least 4 D1 players (fbs) and 3 FCS in this years class alone.

Max Martin, Trinity - Louisville
Vince Lococo, Trinity - Louisville
Rod jay Burns, Trinity - Ohio State
Andrew Hughes, Trinity - Louisville
Connor Foos, Trinity - Eastern Kentucky
Damon Lowe, Trinity - Eastern Kentucky
Dalton Jones, Trinity - Morehead State

Buddy

A few of those schools where in 6A or 4A at the time playing X and Trinity so they really have no chance and some of those on there where soph and Jr and Sr. I know a lot of guys aren't D1 when they are soph so sorry if you have 4 D1 ballers on a 2A school in this state you should walk the dog on the state. I see you love chucky but we will see what he does now. And Trinity should win it every year.
Maybe not in the toilet but most definitely in the basement. No talent coming up best players leaving and were going to be hiring a new coach in 3 years maximum. might as well give it whoever wants it I guess in reality the only person who would want it is Someone up in age with their career behind them...sad to think at one point we could have had randy Frazier or Greg Duncum..but we're just too good I guess I hope our arrogance by administration can win us games without talent.
Duncum was our coach for a few days, at least he thought so. Accepted and then Brock Jr. called McPeek back and they put Duncum off. Some say Frazier was the coach for about 18 hours, then Gambrel called the guy he was bringing with him and offered him. Believe me when I say there are many more stories like this with this hire.

If this guy from Evarts takes it when will we know? Like one poster said, I guess we could go to the Oasis tomorrow night and after a few cold ones get some answers. Play on Player.
Please god hire a coach soon.......!!!!!!
WhyLie Wrote:Duncum was our coach for a days, at least he thought sod and then Brock Jr. called McPeek back and they put Duncum off. Some say Frazier was the coach for about 18 hours, then Gambrel called the guy he was bringing with him and offered him. Believe me when I say there are many more stories like this with this hire.

If this guy from Evarts takes it when will we know? Like one poster said, I guess we could go to the Oasis tomorrow night and after a few cold ones get some answers. Play on Player.

Could this end up going the same way Duncum and Frazier went? Could one of the others call someone elsee and start this mess all over again.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Living The Dream!!
WhyLie Wrote:What we need is a new principal and AD. The coach is not going to matter, whoever it is. The program is not in the toilet , but zero talent coming and losing young kids as we speak. Doom and gloom is not anger , it is reality that many do not understand. If you go to all the games then maybe you know what is coming up? This is truth about the program. I can lie for all the candidates, but if they base their decision on BGR posts , may not need them anyway.

I agree totally on the principal and the AD. From what I've heard there may be some changes coming in the future with some of the powers that be. If we get somebody that can stay 2 or 3 years until these guys are gone and keep our heads above water, the next time the job comes open it may be more attractive to some high quality coaches. I know that sounds bad but look where were at now. As far as players leaving, who's left? I know they're upset but I don't know of anyone that's left yet. I'm just saying this hire is probably as good as we get right now. I don't think we should say to our young kids that "you guys have zero talent" whether it's true or not. A lot of players get better as they grow.
  •  Previous
  • 52(current)
  • Next