•  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County Coaching search
You make a good point. Beating Bell in the post Dudley/Mills era would never be the same. I was not aware schedules were complete. My youngest is a senior next year so that will take care of a Diamond having a chance to beat Bell. That is a bummer on many levels... LOL.

For the record, I respect the accomplishments of the program and truly hope for the sake of a community that supports football you hire a competent coach who can continue your proud tradition of winning. E. Ky is mired in a cycle of of economic depression compounded by poorly performing public schools. Having a few winning teams around at least takes the edge off that sad reality.
It is really a sad time on Log Mountain. When you have decision makers that don't have a clue what it takes to win football it shows. A new football field don't make a team. You just can't March out on the field and win games.
When you are handcuffed by administration. Kinda hard to hire a coach that will deal with the non sense. You can't point fingers at the person trying their darn best to hire a coach
Not sure what you are trying to say, but Richard Gambrel has complete power to hire and is and has been running the show from day one. Super fired Mills and turned it over to Gambrel. He brought the AD in along with a local business man. My view on these guys has been documented and has not changed. Why are we where we are ? The three above mentioned.

Also just for the record , there were more on the firing from the high school office than people know.
Diamond you will get your wish next year in the SEKC grid. Bell vs. Knox.

It is a shame what is happening. But all you have to do is look at what has happened in the school system since the political regime took back over. Test scores have plummeted, morale is horrible and we are broke. Major layoff's coming for our school system and we are bringing in new coaches? It is unreal the decisions being made. Only a small group of people weren't happy with football and they aren't even football people! Never played, never coached and many don't even watch games. They are the connected people running our school system.
If you are close to the program you know what I mean......lol
Doesn't football bring in a ton of revenue for Bell Co school??

These "politicians" may live to regret their decision(s).
Granny Bear Wrote:Doesn't football bring in a ton of revenue for Bell Co school??

These "politicians" may live to regret their decision(s).

That is correct but they are not smart enough to figure it out. When a group met with superintendent she told them football money barely kept football going which of course is not true it supports everything. She honestly may not know that but that is not a excuse.
Sounds like Guitar man is already making excuses?? No excuse. You better have a plan before you make a move like that obviously they didn't think ahead.
HCS Wrote:I think Bell was 0-11 the year before coach Hilton got there.
Bell was very good by Hilton's second year, but it took them several years to get past Cawood in that district/sub-district.

it took everybody several years to get past Cawood lol. The Trojans were tough.
Doesn't matter how much football money brings in.
It gets stolen in the form of other non revenue sports which is pretty much all of them.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Doesn't matter how much football money brings in.
It gets stolen in the form of other non revenue sports which is pretty much all of them.

Truth

All of them should be self sufficient. Football could and would be be if not for what you said at many places.

I know several places personally (non powers, too) where football brings in more than boys AND girls basketball COMBINED. At worst it's a push.
Is there still gonna be a coach hired by Monday?!
I do not think that they will make that deadline, made by the Superintendent. This will be the first mistake by the principal. They still have 3 days.
Larry Welch is available.
E's Army Wrote:Larry Welch is available.

Heck the way it sounds we maybe lucky to get someone like him. Not looking good down here. :biglmao:
Actually hearing whispers of Mills back after next season, Superintendent and Principal gone. IDK if any thing to it or not. Was at BB game and was told by parent of former player.
I honestly hope they get a good or decent coach. I watched more Bell football games on Friday nights in the late-mid 80s and early 90s than I did my own Bobcats in Breathitt. Small Communities like ours need positive things for kids to do and need something for communities to be proud of... Sad situation if what you Bell folk say if true... Sports isn't everything I agree, but it provides structure and discipline to young lives as well as an opportunity to further their education..... Whoever the board members, super, and principle are, they need to wake up and look at what's really goin on here... You are risking quite a bit, zapping everything out of what put your kids and county on the map... Good Luck to ya! And Go Hounds!!
Sports arent more important than academics, but they are every bit as much important of the total educational experience.

Both arenas teach lessons that the other cant. No doubt about it.
Sports like academic clubs are exactly the same;

Extracurricular
ˌekstrəkəˈrikyələr
adjective
(of an activity at a school or college) pursued in addition to the normal course of education.

Certainly sports (football) are important but lets not over state it. I think academics and extracurricular activities should go hand in hand.

And to say that non revenue sports get money "stolen" from football is beyond ludicrous. 1. If it is all about the kids like some of you are saying it should be about all the kids. 2. Kids who play football play other (non revenue) sports 3. Most schools expect the "non revenue" sports to raise money. The reason they hare called non revenue is because they don't bring in the same amount of money that football does, but they do produce revenue, heck Red Book will not let you run in the red......

Maybe if Bell Fans think football is more important than academics, it might be time to re-adjust your thinking or just out and out shut the program down and let them play chess or join the FFA or French club.
Well that is bad because our academics suck now too! Heck Pineville and Middlesboro are ahead of us in that. It is pathetic.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Doesn't matter how much football money brings in.

Are you saying football brings in enough $$ through gate admission to finance football???
footballfever Wrote:Are you saying football brings in enough $$ through gate admission to finance football???

Yes and the other sports too.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:Yes and the other sports too.

WOW. Just how much money do you think Bell will bring in at that gate in a season?
I would say at least 35,000. All of the other sports run concessions during the games to make money as well.
^^And T-shirt sales, and advertising, and donations, and etc etc etc. If I sound like a person who has spent the last 35 years supporting the community high school (academics and athletics), well there's a reason for that.
Granny Bear Wrote:^^And T-shirt sales, and advertising, and donations, and etc etc etc. If I sound like a person who has spent the last 35 years supporting the community high school (academics and athletics), well there's a reason for that.

It would be a lot more if you count all of that stuff.
Bobcats 9108 Wrote:It would be a lot more if you count all of that stuff.

I agree. But it costs around 70,000 to run a program for a year. Some years more when new uniforms are needed. Gate $$ will barely if even cover coaches salaries! All I'm saying is football can't come close to covering itself without booster $$ fundraisers etc.
footballfever Wrote:I agree. But it costs around 70,000 to run a program for a year. Some years more when new uniforms are needed. Gate $$ will barely if even cover coaches salaries! All I'm saying is football can't come close to covering itself without booster $$ fundraisers etc.

Bell's budget is a lot less than 70,000. They probably dont spend that much in 2 seasons.
This is shocking, it seems no one with any experience will touch the Bell County job.
  •  Previous
  • 5(current)
  • Next