•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
He wasn't with Chapman the year of the fight. Trust me he's not that type of coach. He is a great young man that would punish players for such conduct. This young man has wonderful character. You can ask any coach around.
[quote=bobcatsfan]He wasn't with Chapman the year of the fight. Trust me he's not that type of coach. He is a great young man that would punish players for such conduct. This young man has wonderful character. You can ask any coach around.[/

Combs has been very very highly recommended. Would be good hire!
Tigercreek Wrote:[quote=bobcatsfan]He wasn't with Chapman the year of the fight. Trust me he's not that type of coach. He is a great young man that would punish players for such conduct. This young man has wonderful character. You can ask any coach around.[/

Combs has been very very highly recommended. Would be good hire!

Who's doing the recommending?? sounds like you're getting some good inside information.
I don't think the committe will take any recommendation from outsiders. I think they will look at experience as coach and win/loss records. I think they will not hire young. I heard today had a lot of applicants. Some not good some good.
Good people on committe they are the same that seen there needed to be a change and they will find and hire the best for the job.
bobcatsfan Wrote:The hardest thing about hiring a new coach is will they let the new coach bring in an assistant. I know schools usually won't let a coach bring in two or three assistants because of teaching jobs but to be successful they will need to let a coach bring in some help. Mitchell would not be a bad hire. Had success at Lynn Camp and I'm sure he still wants to coach. Combs would be a good hire just the youth would be a concern. But if you coached and played under Holcomb and Chapman then your bound to do a great job wherever you go. He may stay at Magoffin too. He likes it very well over there with McCoy.

I keep hearing Mitchell's name at a lot of schools. has he left Whitley County?
DarthVader Wrote:Sounds like a knockout winner to me, a guy that may or may not have coached at one point 30 years ago. :rockon:

sarcasm?:biggrin:
DarthVader Wrote:I've heard that dave mitchell, tom greer, greg duncum, dudley hilton, tom larkey, steve and jackie jewell, tony saylor, and cotton adams were all seen together the other day, forming a super staff at CC. They are going to bring justin haddix in to coach the freshmen and middle school teams. But thats just what IVE heard, not saying its true Wink

:thatsfunn
No one os doing the recommending. You fill out an application and I don't know exactly who is getting them but there is a committee that will be deciding who gets interviews and who to hire. They are going to look for someone that experience winning. That played football and was successful and can get kids and parents and community motivated. I hear they have a lot of applicants.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:By no means am I touting or knocking anyone with this post, but here are the stats from KHSAA website from 1998 thru this year. A little history to relive. 1998 is as far as they go back on the site. This won't really be fair towards Hensley because somewhere around 1998 is when he returned for his second stint I think.

Eugene Hensley
1998 * 2-8
1999 * 3-7
2000 * 5-6
2001 * 5-5

Aaron Stepp
2002 * 0-10
2003 * 4-6
2004 * 8-3
2005 * 6-5
2006 * 7-4
2007 * 7-5 First round playoff win

Shannon Arnett
2008 * 6-5
2009 * 4-6
2010 * 8-4 First round playoff win

Kenny Roark
2011 * 1-10

Evan Napier
2012 * 4-7
2013 * 2-9
2014 * 1-10

In the last 17 seasons (most players on the current team were not even born in 1998) Clay has had 6 winning seasons...4 with Stepp and 2 with Arnett. In the same period we have had 2 playoff wins...1 with Stepp and 1 with Arnett.

35.3% of the time we have a winning season.
11.76% of seasons we have a playoff win.
0% of seasons we have won more than one playoff game.

Should/could it be better? Absolutely.

Thanks piggy. I was playing then. I didn't think I was old until this post :redboxer:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Thanks piggy. I was playing then. I didn't think I was old until this post :redboxer:

Now this thread is gettin' interesting!
I've not heard any impressive names as of yet, surely there's more qualified and/or proven coaches out there than this. I don't think it's a bad job at all considering the district they play in, rock has been really down the past five years, Russell is down compared to what they were a few years back and Knox is very beatable with the right game plan.
Any new names being brought into the fold? The way True Tiger Fan speaks they are only looking for older guys with head coaching experience.
There have been some very good recommendations made to the board by some very successful coaches and admn. I know of three pretty good applicants.
Lets just all hope they hire a very committed guy who will form a good staff. Be community oriented, fan friendly and bust his A@@ to field a team who is physical like the old Tiger teams and offensively gifted like some teams of recent memory.
Who are the three?
StormTrooper Wrote:I've not heard any impressive names as of yet, surely there's more qualified and/or proven coaches out there than this. I don't think it's a bad job at all considering the district they play in, rock has been really down the past five years, Russell is down compared to what they were a few years back and Knox is very beatable with the right game plan.

No doubt they are in one of the more wide open regions in the state, regardless of class.

There aren't any teams you see in your district/region that already let you know how your season is likely going to end in January.

All of the schools in that region have to feel like they have a 'chance'.

Demographically, all of the communities are very much alike across the board.
If they don't get in a hurry there is going to be good coaches available. You will have to get the checkbook out if you are interested.
Why does the checkbook have to be opened? Is teacher's pay and coaching stipend not enough?
DarthVader Wrote:Why does the checkbook have to be opened? Is teacher's pay and coaching stipend not enough?

I agree. That's enough to get a good coach. No checkbook needed.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I agree. That's enough to get a good coach. No checkbook needed.

With this you will get a young guy but to get a proven winning coach you better be ready to offer some incentive. Head Coach is a thankless job until you win a championship and then when the trophy gets cold people ask what you're doing next.
DarthVader Wrote:Why does the checkbook have to be opened? Is teacher's pay and coaching stipend not enough?

I agree 100%. In the tight economic times many districts are suffering through, paying a coach an astronomical salary is just not a viable option.
Cardfan1 Wrote:With this you will get a young guy but to get a proven winning coach you better be ready to offer some incentive. Head Coach is a thankless job until you win a championship and then when the trophy gets cold people ask what you're doing next.

I understand. I also understand there have been many "young guys" that started out with a teachers salary and coaching stipend that became a proven winning coach.

I don't care who they hire or how much they pay him, it will be a while before he's a proven winning coach competing for a championship.
If $$$$ is the only reason a guy is in coaching he's most likely not the one that should be heading their program, because he's not doing it for the kids he's doing it for himself and his ego. Coaches who are successful do it because they love the game and the rewards they get from it can't be bought.
I like the idea of a young hungry coach with a lot of "moxy" coming in. Tough times all over right now but a little incentive may be ok too if sold on the right person. Seems like sometimes the stumbling block is bringing in assistants with them whom they feel comfortable with. This is needed here also I think but then you get into job placement. My opinion only, just don't want to see the same ones down there as in the past. Wish some could take a test ha ha!
Let's be real fellas

Coaches take head coaching jobs for a few reasons

1. They are currently unemployed.
2. They are moving to a successful program.
3. They are moving home to their alma mater.
4. They have a sweet deal ( $$$, teaching job with little responsibility)

No one makes moves for a challenge. HS Football has enough challenges to keep you on your toes as it is.
A couple fellars just seem like they are always chasing jobs like dogs chasing tires.
One main target just said thanks but NO. He would have been a goodin
Who was it?
Everyone is acting like it's Top Secret about who is applying for this Job !! People who apply should not care for anyone knowing they applied, and the people who are hiring should not care either. NO BIG DEAL !!!
I agree, it's like they are scared that someone is going to disagree or bring up something negative about the school or candidates.
I would think that Coach Siezmore would apply over there, I thought he would have applied for the SL job the last few times it has been open, I know he was happy where he's at last time I talked to him. He done a good job with the kids at SL when he was here.
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next