• 16(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 UK Football Recruiting
Cats surging with four-star defensive tackle

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

Mark Stoops and his defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot want, perhaps more than anything, to build a deep, athletic and powerful defensive line that can hold up in the trenches in the Southeastern Conference.

To that end Kentucky has addressed the front four very well, both with a talent crop of incoming freshman and an impressive trio of commitments from the Class of 2014.

But they're not done yet. Of course the Wildcats are waiting on Matt Elam, but they're also surging with four-star defensive tackle Cory Johnson.

Johnson, a 6-foot-3, 295-pound tackle from ASA College in New York, also has offers from Arizona State, Miami, NC State, Rutgers, Syracuse, Temple and Tennessee.

Recently he said Miami was his favorite with Kentucky in second place on his list behind the Hurricanes. His interest in UK is largely because of the fact that UK has made him a big priority and made him feel wanted.

"Oh yeah, I talk (to Kentucky) all the time," Johnson told Cats Illustrated this weekend.

Jimmy Brumbaugh is the coach he stays in touch with. It was Brumbaugh who was responsible for reeling in four-star defensive lineman Za'Darius Smith from last year's class. Can he do it again?

"I like him a lot," Johnson said. "We talk all the time so I already feel as if I can trust his word. He just seems like a good coach who cares about his players.

"(He's talked about) how they have the number one signing class so far and about the guys he has leaving. And his defensive line scheme, and a lot about the school and all the help I could get."

Is Miami still ahead of the Wildcats?

"They are neck and neck," he said. "I'm waiting 'til I visit them both before I choose."

Johnson said he will take official visits to Kentucky and Miami in the fall.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1518806
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
All Purpose back Darius McDonald has committed to Kentucky. According to his rivals profile, he has no stars and isn't ranked at all and only had an offer from Kentucky

http://www.nationofblue.com/kentucky-rec...ommitment/
Strikeout King Wrote:All Purpose back Darius McDonald has committed to Kentucky. According to his rivals profile, he has no stars and isn't ranked at all and only had an offer from Kentucky

http://www.nationofblue.com/kentucky-rec...ommitment/

Hmmm....Rivals doesn't even show him having an offer from Kentucky and none of the recruiting services have confirmed that he has officially committed. Unless their taking this guy as a preferred walk-on, I can't understand why they would accept his commitment. We already have 18 commits which means that we only have room for 6 more commits and there are too many highly rated recruits that have us in their Top 4 or 5 to let this kid use one of those spots.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Elite corner planning trip to Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Kentucky is looking to add one more cornerback to their current recruiting class and D.J. Smith may be at the top of their board.

It's yet to be determined just how serious Smith is about the Wildcats but he's clearly an elite talent and he's thinking about Kentucky.

Ranked the No. 8 cornerback in the nation by Rivals.com, Smith is No. 110 nationally regardless of position and also claims offers from Clemson, Florida, Georgia and other programs all over the country.

Derrick Ansley has been recruiting him from the Kentucky staff and that's who his position coach would be if he landed in Lexington.

When asked to measure his interest level in Kentucky, Smith found that to be a tough task.

"I don't know yet," Smith said. "I haven't been up to the campus yet. (Ansley) told me I was his number one corner and he wanted me up on the campus.

"I'm going to visit but I'm not sure when."

Ansley isn't the only person that's working on Smith for the Wildcats. Four-star quarterback commit Drew Barker is also in regular contact with him and is trying to win him over.

"I talked to Jared Tucker but I don't know him personally," Smith added.

Smith claims he does not have any favorites but one of his most recent trips was to South Carolina. In a recent interview he also said he is planning to take trips to Florida, Clemson and Tennessee as well. He also said he would like to make a trip to Ohio State eventually, but noted that he would like to stay within a six-hour radius of his home.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1519248
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky in the mix for 2014 athlete Truitt

Justin Rowland

Kentucky is emerging as a very real option for Monroe (Ga.) athlete Stanton Truitt, one of the top prospects in the state of Georgia.

Long believed to be a Tennessee lean, Truitt has gone out of his way recently to make it known that he's still very much open to many of the schools that are still recruiting him.

He singled out Kentucky, South Carolina and Tennessee, acknowledging those are schools of interest without using the word favorites. He also listed Florida, North Carolina, NC State and West Virginia as other schools still under consideration.

Truitt said he's talking to Bradley Dale Peveto from the UK staff "every week," and he's also hearing from Drew Barker, Kentucky's quarterback commitment.

"My recruiter is Coach Peveto and he is really cool," Truitt said. "He understands the game very well and has coached at many top schools.

"(He's told Truitt that) they are trying to build something special at UK and everyone wants the same thing. The team, the fans, the coaches (want the same thing) and they are going after the best guys. They really like me."

The nation's top-ranked all-purpose back, UK commit Stanley Williams, is a Georgia native that has also been talking to Truitt. But Barker is the UK pledge that's been working him the hardest.

The 5-foot-9, 177-pound prospect is ranked the No. 29 athlete in the nation and said Kentucky is willing to give him a shot on either side of the ball. However, he said the Wildcats seem to be leaning more towards receiver.

Truitt might not wait much longer before he makes his decision.

"Summer time," he said when asked of a time table. "Maybe right around the beginning of the season."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1519478
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cats make cut as LB Lee trims list to nine

Justin Rowland

Indianapolis (Ind.) Lawrence Central linebacker Brandon Lee has narrowed his list to nine schools and Kentucky is still alive.

Cal, Indiana, Iowa, Louisville, Missouri, Northwestern, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the other schools still in the hunt for the 6-foot-2, 203-pound linebacker, and the three-star prospect maintains that each of those programs is even.

Lee plans to graduate from high school in December so he won't be dragging his recruitment out until Signing Day. But he's not ready to make his choice either.

Indiana is the only school Lee has visited so far this summer.

"I've been comfortable with the (Indiana) staff and just the school itself with them being so close," Lee said. "I've been comfortable with the staff for a while now because it's been a hometown school. It's just been a couple of years now being comfortable with them in that aspect of things. I wouldn't say IU is my top school or my leader though."

That's good news for Kentucky.

Lee has already visited Lexington but it's been a while and a lot has changed since then.

"When I went down there I kinda got a good feel for the campus last time but that was with the old staff. Now there's a lot of big hype going on with them having a top five, top ten recruiting class.

"Coach (Mark) Stoops is definitely a great scheming defensive kind of head coach and that draws me to Kentucky a little bit. I just want to see what they have. I want to get down there and meet the new staff, not so much to see the campus because I've already seen that."

Offensive line coach John Schlarman is building a good relationship with Lee.

"He stopped by the school and I've spoken to him on the phone twice. The second time I spoke to him on the phone he got me on the phone with coach Stoops and coach (Tommy) Mainord. I believe coach Mainord stopped by the school for their second visit of the spring," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1519646
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Four stand out to cornerback Perkins

Justin Rowland

Kentucky may be on the lookout for one more cornerback to add to its current recruiting class and there's a cornerback in Florida that's very open to the Wildcats' pitch.

Havana (Fla.) East Gadsden cornerback JaJuan Perkins claims offers from Indiana, Kentucky, Louisville, Ole Miss and USF, and his current list of favorites includes four of those programs.

"Ole Miss, Kentucky, USF and Louisville," Perkins said this week, listing the four schools that are standing out.

He clarified that the list isn't in any particular order and he doesn't seem close to making a decision. The 5-foot-9, 173-pound corner, a three-star prospect, also said that Ole Miss, UK, USF and Old Dominion are the schools that have been recruiting him the hardest so far.

However, it's been a little while since he has had direct contact with Kentucky.

While Kentucky has pulled in commitments from a number of states since Mark Stoops assumed control of the program last year, Perkins has noticed some of the Florida talent heading to Lexington.

"Lots of the commits there are from around my area so it would be like family there," Perkins said of UK. "Plus I like coach Stoops."

Perkins' name hasn't been in headlines for a few months but much earlier this year, just after Signing Day for the previous class, he said Ole Miss was his favorite.

The three-star prospect has been clocked at 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash and has a registered vertical of 34-inches.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1519957
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JUCO corner Davis has Kentucky interest

Justin Rowland

The Wildcats already have one junior college cornerback on board in Shyquawn Pullium. Could they add another?

It might seem like a stretch to imagine Kentucky taking two junior college cornerbacks but Ronnie Davis is hopeful Kentucky leaves that possibility open.

He's a 6-foot-1, 170-pound corner from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Community College, and he claims offers from Kentucky, Toledo and Tulane.

Davis has never visited Kentucky before and that would probably need to happen before anyone assumes things are getting too serious. But Davis is trying to work a trip into his schedule.

"I believe they were trying to figure that (when he will visit) out. It depends on how our season turns out so I'm unsure of when," he said.

Tommy Mainord, UK's wide receivers coach, has been responsible for recruiting Davis so far.

It's not as though UK has had one or two conversations with Davis. It appears they have been diligent in their research and evaluation.

"I haven't personally talked to them so much since school has been out but I've talked to my coaches a few times and they told me that they had been talking to the UK coaches about a visit and things like that," he explained. "Around the time when the coach had come to watch me practice he told me a few things about the program. He said they had a new defensive coordinator from Florida State and a few more coaches.

"Also, he told me that their spring game was packed," he said.

The number crunch could be working against Davis as far as Kentucky is concerned. The Wildcats already have commitments from two cornerbacks, Pullium and Jared Tucker, as well as two safeties that have been praised for their coverage skills and conceivably could play corner as well.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520248
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Two-star CB Simmons drawing big-school interest

Justin Rowland

Jacksonville (Fla.) Raines cornerback Lamont Simmons has the kind of size and athleticism Kentucky's coaches are looking for in their defensive back recruits and he has a lot of interest in UK.

At 6-foot-2 and 185-pounds Simmons is a long, rangy corner with solid speed and good coverage skills.

His offer list is impressive. Georgia, Tennessee, North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Arkansas, Michigan State and Georgia Tech, among others, have asked him to join their programs.

While his ranking of two stars might seem to run against that it's clear that some coaches like what he has to offer. Including Kentucky's.

"I talked to coach (Bradley Dale) Peveto the other day and he's a great guy," Simmons told Cats Illustrated. "He's funny and caring.

"(Kentucky is) a good educational school. They're also in a great conference that puts defensive backs into the league. And I have a cousin up there so she could finally see me play."

In other words Kentucky has a lot that Simmons likes. The only sticking point is he has never visited the school.

"I might not get a chance to visit this summer but I'll probably take an official visit there," he said.

That means Simmons might be a soft verbal commitment eventually, because he has said elsewhere that he would like to make a decision in the next month.

Simmons recently finished a tour of colleges that took him to several different campuses. One in particular stood out.

"Probably Virginia Tech," he said. "It's a great engineering school. Their staff has been together for a while so they have chemistry and I was just up there last week and I enjoyed seeing the facilities and meeting coaches."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520250
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4* CB Nigel Bethel just announced his Top 6! As stated by him, in no particular order they are: FSU, Miami, Kentucky, Tennessee, WVU, Texas Tech.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
McQuarters still giving Kentucky a look

Justin Rowland

Cats Illustrated first reported on Tennessee athlete Dejuan McQuarters in May. Since that time his relationship with the UK staff has quietly but steadily progressed.

McQuarters hasn't had a lot of contact with the Kentucky coaches but there has been some communication between the two camps. Though he's claiming an offer from UK it appears that the Wildcats want their receiver targets to visit campus before they would consider accepting commitments from anyone.

The 5-foot-10, 160-pound athlete from Memphis (Tenn.) Mitchell will have a busy July and that includes a trip to Lexington.

"I'll visit Tennessee, Cincinnati and NIU all in early July. I'm trying to get to Kentucky in late July," McQuarters said.

That trip could coincide with a big recruiting period that Kentucky will have from July 18-22. Most of the Wildcats' commitments and some of their top uncommitted targets plan to be on campus during that five-day period, so it could be a good time for McQuarters to visit if he wants face time with all of the coaches.

Chad Scott is McQuarters' recruiter and his message for the Tennessee athlete has been simple.

"That I would fit in well in the system with my abilities and that I can help in the return game," McQuarters said, recalling that message.

"I'm just looking for a good system that fits me. A team that spreads the ball around and a family atmosphere. Most importantly a good education."

McQuarters also claims verbal offers from Arkansas State, Middle Tennessee and UAB.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520256
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Coach sees big things ahead for Ware

Justin Rowland

Denzel Ware is back in Florida for his senior year of football and he's been working out with his teammates at Crestview this summer.

His coach Tim Hatten told Cats Illustrated he has the potential to be special.

Hatten has never coached Ware before this summer. Ware is coming to the school from Opp (Ala.) and Hatten himself from a junior college where he coached for the past eleven years.

"I've coached a lot of Division I players over the years and (Ware's) definitely a major Division I player," Hatten said. "He can play most anywhere. He's playing defensive end for us and he's playing in space at linebacker in 7-on-7's. He moves around in space. He's got good strength, good speed, good quickness. He's got all the tools."

Hatten said he hasn't watched Ware with pads on in person so he can't evaluate what aspects of his game need to improve. That will come soon.

"Just from watching a little film on him it's just a stereotypical deal like with any football player. You always want to be bigger, faster and stronger. But he has a lot of tools to work with," he said.

Crestview's 2012-13 school year ended on June 6 so Ware was able to officially enroll as a student on June 7. In that time and since workouts began Hatten has noticed that Ware has a great work ethic in addition to his athleticism. There aren't any questions about his motor.

"He's got that mode where he just runs wide open," Hatten said. "He's got those things you just can't coach. He's got those things. I've had several Division I defensive linemen over the years and he's very comparable with a lot of them."

As a junior college coach Hatten also became intimately familiar with the recruiting process. He also knows how little a verbal commitment sometimes means.

"Obviously everybody that comes through, every major college, asks you about Denzel Ware," he said. "I'm sure he's had many offers over the last year. A lot of times a commitment doesn't stop guys from recruiting kids. Recruiting's kind of a cruel world. More schools come in and make offers. He's committed to Kentucky.

"I'm in the business of coaching high school football. I don't do commits and decommits. I tell folks from all over that he's committed to the University of Kentucky."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520975
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
West recovering from injury, preparing for season

Justin Rowland

Lima (Ohio) Central Catholic head coach Jerry Cooper is probably more familiar with what Darius West can do on the football field than anyone else and he had no shortage of praise for his big-time safety this week.

West is Kentucky's second-highest rated prospect from the Buckeye State after Mikel Horton and following Marcus McWilson last year he's the second four-star safety from Ohio to commit to the Wildcats.

Cooper wasn't surprised at all when West verbally pledged to UK.

"I can't speak for Darius but in the (recruiting) process from the day he stepped on Kentucky's campus and saw the facilities and met with the coaches he had Kentucky at the top of his list," Cooper said. "To put it in perspective we had (coaches) from Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame and Penn State there. Normally when those four schools recruit Ohio kids up against Kentucky it's kind of a no-brainer that Kentucky is down the (list). For this particular kid it was the opposite."

West's commitment took a little while longer than many believed it would. He had initially set a decision date but postponed that, causing some in UK circles to wonder whether the Wildcats' position was fading. In reality there was never any reason for concern, according to Cooper.

"To be honest I don't think it had anything to do with (whether) Ohio State (would offer). It had nothing to do with Notre Dame, who had offered," he said. "He was getting ready for the state track meet and he did not want (his announcement) to detract from the opportunity his team had to win a state championship."

The track team finished second in the state and West himself was fourth in the 100-meters.

West went down with a leg injury not long after committing to the Wildcats and for a while there was real cause for concern.

"It was a clean break of the fibea," Cooper explained. "He's going to be out 10-12 weeks and will be back by the second or third week of the season. It was kind of a freak thing, sort of like the kid from Louisville that got hurt in the basketball game. He was jumping to catch the ball and he came down untouched but awkward on his heel. All his weight came down on that side and the fibea just cracked. It was a pretty clean break and they got it back together without surgery or rods in it.

"We're hoping he'll be playing by (the second or third week). Hopefully he'll have about six weeks in a cast so that would get him out just about the time we start our two-a-days. He'll miss those. We won't do anything with him then."

If West returns to action this year as it appears he will then it will mark his third year starting in the secondary for Lima Central Catholic.

Cooper and the rest of his staff have watched as West has developed into one of the most prized defensive backs in the nation.

"He has a phenomenal amount of strength, explosiveness and length. It's hard to find all of those things. When you have strength, speed, explosiveness and real good length to go with it, those four things are an awfully big component as a defensive back. He's really long for a kid that's 6-foot and weighs 200 pounds. He's really strong, explosive and is fast as can be.

"I think there were a lot of people early who thought he was a corner. As they saw him and he got more and more into it they saw he had the size and physicality to play safety. I think he could play either one. Early in his career he could back up both of those spots (safety and corner) and give you real depth and either spot."

There's one main area that West can stand to focus on improving if he wants to be as versatile as his coach believes he can be.

"One of the things some of the scouting services will say that could make him a little better as a cover corner would be getting a little more flexible in his hips," he said. "When he's at corner he's real explosive and has a stronger upper body. But he can get more flexible."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520978
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Graham has two in front

Kynon Codrington
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Outside linebacker Jaylon Graham picked up eight offers this spring and has recently seen his stock rise. The stocky defender doesn't hail from a well-known recruiting hotbed, so he is happy to gain any kind of recognition.

Florida, Michigan State, and South Carolina are starting to show interest and he hopes they offer at some point.

"I've been to Florida 3 or 4 times. It's nice. I talk to Coach [D.J.] Durkin and Coach [Jon] Haskins (player personnel)," noted Graham. "I grew up a Florida fan. If they offered that would put them at the top of my list."

Graham's favorite player is Brandon Spikes. He likes how Spikes plays and he tries to bring that type of aggressiveness to the field on Friday nights.

As a junior he collected 99 tackles and five sacks from all three-linebacker positions. Most schools are recruiting him at SAM 'backer, but South Carolina wants him as a defensive end.

Kentucky and Louisville are the schools recruiting him the hardest at the moment.

When asked if he has noticed both programs being mentioned in the same recruiting circles as Florida State, Georgia, and LSU?

"Yeah I saw where Kentucky had the No. 1 class. It goes to show that Coach [Mark] Stoops and Coach [D.J.] Eliot have the program headed in the right direction," replied Graham. "At Louisville it's great because they have all the guys on the roster from Florida. I can relate to those players more which is key for me if I go out-of-state."

He plans to take all five official visits in the fall, but doesn't know where he will go. After he trips he will make a decision with his parents, coaches, and uncle Len Brown, who played defensive tackle at Southern Illinois.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1521283
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Snodgrass will give UK burst of speed

Justin Rowland

Kentucky's unanticipated recruiting success has turned heads and caused national media figures to examine the causes. One high school coach in Ohio understands the attraction.

Thaddeus Snodgrass was one of Kentucky's earliest commits this year back in April and he hasn't shown any signs of wavering. Just a year or two before he may never have envisioned himself committing to Kentucky, but when Mark Stoops assembled his staff he quickly warmed to the school.

The 6-foot-1, 184-pound receiver from Springfield (Ohio) brings a lot to the table, according to his coach Eric Gillespie.

"First and foremost it's his speed," Gillespie said. "He runs a 4.33 in the forty and not a whole lot of guys can do that. The guy's a senior in high school running that, too. You know he's going to get faster in college. That's one thing. He's an explosive athlete."

On the other hand Gillespie and Snodgrass both know that great athleticism alone doesn't guarantee a great college or professional career. Snodgrass' success beyond high school will be determined by how he develops in the technical aspects of his position.

"Most high school receivers, I think, when they get to college they have to improve their route running, their coverage recognition, how they adjust routes due to coverage and those kinds of things" he said. "It's the minute details and the intricacies of being a complete receiver. The lower level you go down the more successful you can be just off athletic ability. The higher level you get to the more you have to improve your craft. He just needs to keep improving his craft and work on the art of being a great receiver in the subtle details."

Gillespie said he has found Snodgrass to be very easy to coach. He said the four-star prospect works daily on catching balls and running routes and is self-motivated. He expects that to continue in college.

This fall will be Snodgrass' third season as a varsity starter though he missed half of his sophomore season due a shoulder injury that did not hold him back as a junior. That issue appears to be well behind him.

Not long ago a player of Snodgrass' caliber might have only given Kentucky a passing glance. But when he pledged to the Cats earlier this year Gillespie wasn't surprised.

"Ultimately the reason why he did it was that was the school he had been to the most," Gillespie said. "If you visit a school more than once there's probably a reason why. There's something about Kentucky that he likes that caused him to go and visit multiple times."

Gillespie also noted that he understands why top high school talents are committing to the Wildcats.

"As a receiver you're a guy that wants to be involved in offenses that are known for throwing the ball. The offensive staff is coming from Texas Tech and that's going to entice a lot of guys to come in.

"Obviously coach (Vince) Marrow is on the staff. I can see why that guy can come in and get kids. Obviously he commands respect around kids but he can also get with them on their level. He developed a really good relationship with (Snodgrass). I can see why kids choose Kentucky based on his recruiting," he continued.

"Another thing is the proximity from home. What I try to do for kids is to develop a rubric in terms of the five things that are most important to you in terms of making your college decision. Everything that is football is all lumped into one. Coaches, weight room ... that's all football. The proximity from home, whether or not they have their major, whether you fit in, and for kids that aren't getting scholarships whether it's financially a good fit.

"I think (Kentucky) had what he's looking for and he felt like it was a place where he could fit in. The proximity was definitely great. If a kid can play in the SEC and be a little over two hours from home that would be enticing to a lot of Ohio kids.

"For whatever reason if they don't feel like they're a great fit for Ohio State, maybe they're overlooked or want to play in the SEC, that opportunity is great. If you're a couple of hours from home you can drive home on the weekends.

"If you go play at Alabama your family probably isn't going to be able to get to see you at every game. But if you play at Kentucky your family can see you play every home game and maybe a couple on the road."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520981
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LaRubbio has throwback mentality

Justin Rowland

Liberty Township (Ohio) Lakota East offensive guard Jarrett LaRubbio became a prime Kentucky target very early in this recruiting cycle and one reason is the mentality he brings to the game.

That mentality is evident when you watch LaRubbio's film. He not content to just make his block and get to the whistle. He's going through the whistle and is on the lookout for pancakes.

And that mentality, according to his coach Rick Haynes, is what sets him apart from a lot of otherwise talented linemen.

"He plays really hard," Haynes said. "He's got a great mentality for an offensive lineman. I wouldn't say he's overpowering. I think he plays with great pad level and he plays really hard."

LaRubbio became a start at Lakota East towards the end of his sophomore season. He had been injured at the start of that year but quickly recovered and the coaches couldn't keep him off the field.

He's made a lot of strides since then, on the field and in the weight room. Though he's listed at 6-foot-5 and just 260-pounds, Haynes said LaRubbio is up to around 282. That will put him in a position to contend for a spot on the depth chart early in his college career at Kentucky.

There's no doubt that more progress can and needs to be made.

"To play in that league against the people you'll work against, I'm sure they'll get him to work on being quicker," Haynes said.

But that level of competition was a main reason LaRubbio was drawn to Kentucky. While Ohio is Big Ten country, prospects around the state have watched as SEC schools have won the last seven national championships.

"I thought he would pick somewhere close to home and I think playing in the SEC was a factor, too," Haynes concluded.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520983
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Versatility is key for UK commit Tucker

Justin Rowland

Stone Mountain (Ga.) Stephenson cornerback Jared Tucker had an offer list as impressive as any belonging to a Kentucky commitment prior to his pledge and a quick look at his game makes that easy to understand.

Stephenson head coach Ronald Gartrell has seen what Tucker can do first hand.

His 5-foot-11, 162-pound cornerback is a big-time athlete that could have chosen a number of other schools in the SEC and around the country. Gartrell noted that South Carolina was another school that had come after him hard.

But in the end Tucker chose Kentucky and Gartrell believes the Wildcats are getting a big-time player.

"Jared does a lot of good things for us," Gartrell said. "First of all he's going to be a three-year starter, which is rare in our program. He's a two-sport athlete. I believe he was a regional and county champion in the 100-meter dash. He's a three-position player in the secondary. He can play both corners and both safety spots."

That versatility may be Tucker's greatest asset, though Gartrell believes he's bound for corner in the Southeastern Conference.

"There's a chance he may start at corner next year away from the safety position where he started the last two years," he said. "He's had punt returns for touchdowns, kick returns for touchdowns, and (last) year he got a handful of snaps on offense. He's a multi-position player with speed and coverage ability. Kentucky's getting a really good player.

"Jared has good hips and he's a really good athlete. He jumps well and runs well," Gartrell added.

However, he did note that Tucker is well aware that he will have to continue to add weight to make it in the SEC.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1520984
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
McCloud getting looks on both sides of ball

Justin Rowland

Though RayRay McCloud III is classified as a running back he could play on either side of the ball in college.

The 2015 prospect from Tampa (Fla.) Sickles is a 5-foot-9, 166-pound threat with the ball in his hands, but he also has the tools to excel in the secondary.

Arizona and UMass like him as an offensive prospect but Kentucky disagrees.

"I speak to coach (Derrick) Ansley like once a week and he was telling me they want me for defense. They offered me as a DB. Coach Ansley keeps in touch with me and sees how I'm doing with my weight and how I'm working out," McCloud said.

McCloud visited UK last month while he was on a tour of schools that also took him to Louisville, Clemson, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. Montel McBride and T.J. Harrell are prospects from the Class of 2014 that made that trip.

There was a camp going on at Kentucky while McCloud and the others from his area were on campus but he didn't participate.

"It was real nice there," McCloud said. "We didn't really get to see too much because we had to go and we were on the move. But from the stuff I've seen it was real nice. They kept everything organized with the football team."

Kentucky and every other out of state school has their work cut out for them because McCloud admitted he would like to stay in Florida. However, he said that he also likes the idea of meeting new people and experiencing new things, so that could give UK and others a ray of hope.

He plans to visit Georgia and Florida between now and the end of the summer.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522105
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Snodgrass runs a 4.33? WOW! That kind of speed can change a game, just great seeing UK get guys like this!
Kentucky has slipped down to 4th in the nation. 1 (Tennessee)..2 (Texas)...3 (Alabama)
I can't help be be excited for the upcoming football season at Commonwealth stadium. I had considered getting rid of season tix.
Benefactor Wrote:I can't help be be excited for the upcoming football season at Commonwealth stadium. I had considered getting rid of season tix.

I definitely would't do that, this should be one of the most exciting years that UK football has ever had and it can only get better after this season!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Florida athlete likes that UK is building

Justin Rowland

St. Petersburg (Fla.) Northeast athlete Ryan Davis is emerging as one of Kentucky's top 2015 prospects from the state of Florida.

The 5-foot-10, 157-pound prospect has had offers from Kentucky, Vanderbilt and Arizona for a few weeks but this week when Cats Illustrated reached him he also claimed offers from Florida State and USF.

Davis hasn't visited any schools or camped anywhere this summer but he and his 7-on-7 team did win a national championship at a Tampa tournament.

So far an in-state school has impressed him more than anyone else.

"I like Florida State a lot," Davis said. "I'm not going to say they're my favorite but they're very high on my list. I don't really have a top (school) but they would be the highest on my list.

"It's that they're just winning and always competing for a national championship every year. As a football player I like to win. Academics are good but you can get academics at any college. It's a family-oriented and a really good program."

It's been a little while since Davis has been in contact with anyone from the Kentucky staff but he likes what he knows about the Wildcats.

"I like them a lot because they're trying to build a powerhouse for themselves in the SEC. They play teams that are real good and I love that about the SEC," Davis said. "It's kind of like Vandy. Vanderbilt has real high academics and they can put you in a good place for after school."

Arizona doesn't seem to be as much of an option because of the distance from home. That's something that Davis and his parents have discussed.

One factor that could work in UK's favor is style of play.

"That's kinda a big factor for me because I'm a small guy. I'm not that tall and most people want to see me in open space," he said. "I can show what I can do in space. In a pro-style offense you might have a big tight end and a big 6-5 receiver on the outside. You don't show a slot guy as often."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522299
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ohio tackle Taylor Brady could make choice soon

Justin Rowland
CatsIllustrated.com Football Recruiting Analyst

Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Ready offensive tackle Brady Taylor has been one of Kentucky's top line targets for months and he could be getting very close to a decision.

Taylor announced on the social networking site Twitter that he would release his top five soon. But according to his coach at Bishop Ready, Joe Cutler, there are already a few schools that could be called finalists.

"I think he's leaning to a group of four (schools) that I think he's narrowed it down to," Cutler told Cats Illustrated this week. "Kentucky's in that mix so we'll see.

"From every indication I've heard I think he wants to get (a decision) done before two-a-days so either in July or in early August."

Taylor has been to Kentucky before and is planning to make one final trip to Lexington. Taylor hasn't made himself as readily available for interviews since he camped at Ohio State earlier in the summer.

There's a reason for that.

"We're getting ready for our season," Cutler said. "Around here we tell our guys that May is a good time for recruiting and then camps in early June. Then it's go time. He's been starting to dial into Bishop Ready football as we go for a second state title. He's been visiting a couple of schools here and there. He's been to Virginia Tech and Pitt in the last couple of weeks.

"I think he has an intention to get back to Kentucky this week or next," he concluded.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522353
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WR Moral Stephens says that Kentucky, South Carolina, and Florida are his favorites at this point.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JUCO lineman could visit UK soon

Justin Rowland

Four-star junior college defensive lineman Cory Johnson told Cats Illustrated last month that he would like to visit Kentucky before he makes his decision.

The assumption was Johnson would take an official visit to Lexington, as well as official visits to other schools, as a normal part of the recruiting process for a junior college prospect.

That official visit might still happen but Johnson could be at UK much earlier than that.

"I've been talking to their coaches and they want me to visit on July 19," Johnson said of Kentucky. "I'm not sure if I can get there but I'm going to try to. I'm also supposed to be going to something that Miami is going to have going on."

As Johnson said last month his recruitment is "pretty much" between Kentucky and Miami right now, though he said he is "mostly" still open to other schools that could come along.

Kentucky has a commitment from one designated defensive tackle in Adrian Middleton while Matt Elam is still clearly a priority between now and Signing Day. The defensive line is one of the biggest priorities in this class for the Wildcats. The same is true of the defensive tackle spot for Miami. The Hurricanes have recently started to address that problem area, but other commitments aren't likely to have an impact on Johnson. At least for now.

"I check it out every now and again," he said. "Every school is going to be picking up good players. I can't just run away from a team just because of who they picked up. That means I'll have to work harder. But at the end of the day I'm not really too big on anyone because it's kind of even."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522680
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WR T.V. Williams just gave his current Top 5. In no particular order, they are: Oregon State, Iowa, Kentucky, Houston, Nebraska. He is scheduled to make his announcement on Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky among standouts for WR Stephens

Justin Rowland

Four-star receiver Moral Stephens is emerging as a major target on the outside for Kentucky and the Wildcats have made a big-time impression on him so far.

In fact when Cats Illustrated caught up with him late last week he acknowledged that three schools are standing out: Kentucky, South Carolina and Florida.

Bradley Dale Peveto is one of the reasons for Stephens' interest in Kentucky. But so is a current UK commitment. And when asked how much interest he has in UK, Stephens didn't equivocate.

"Pretty high," he said. "Coach Peveto has been wanting me to come up there and (he's been) talking to (Drew) Barker as well.

"I think Barker is a great QB. He knows how to get the ball to his receivers and (he has) great field vision. He's just been telling me about Kentucky."

Though Stephens did not have too much to say regarding his interest in the Wildcats, Gamecocks or Gators, he did note one significant difference that divides two of those schools from the other.

"Florida wants to put me in the slot as a hybrid tight end," he said. "Kentucky and South Carolina want me at receiver."

The four-star prospect, a member of the Rivals250, said he's not sure when he would like to make a decision. Kentucky's coaches would like him to visit during the weekend of July 19 when many of the Cats' current commitments and top targets will be in town.

"I don't know yet," he said of a potential timetable. "It's a family decision. I would like to go ahead and commit soon but I want to take some visits too."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522682
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Snodgrass represents at The Opening

Justin Rowland

Over the years not too many prospects committed to Kentucky have been invited to the premier preseason recruiting events that register on the national stage.

In a sign that times really might be changing Kentucky had two commitments and other targets present at The Opening in Oregon recently. One was quarterback Drew Barker. The other was receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass, who hopes to be on the receiving end of a lot of Barker's throws for the next several years.

"I think I did pretty good catching the ball and running routes," Snodgrass said.

Snodgrass turned in a 4.56-second 40-yard dash time and a respectable SPARQ score that measured his overall athletic testing and performance. His shuttle time was impressive and he generally held his own.

He did especially well in 7-on-7's with two 70-yard touchdown receptions, numerous other catches and a two-point conversion.

All that was against the top defensive backs in his class, so there are plenty of reasons for Wildcat fans to be excited. Snodgrass spoke with Cats Illustrated briefly upon returning to Springfield (Ohio) and the first thing he did was single out several defensive backs that he was especially impressed with.

"Damien Webb and Wesley Green from down in Georgia," he said. "Then Quin Blanding and Jamal Adams on our team. And also Adoree' Jackson."

Snodgrass said he became especially close with Adams, Jackson, Malachi Dupree, Erik Brown and several other quarterbacks and receivers. Many have wondered whether any recruiting would go on in Oregon.

There was a good opportunity and Snodgrass didn't let it go to waste.

"Braxton Berrios was my roommate so I've been on him," he said.

Of course, Berrios picked up an offer from Miami this week. The Hurricanes were his childhood favorite and have generally been believed to be one of the top contenders were they to offer.

"We've still got a chance," Snodgrass said.

The four-star receiver also confirmed with Cats Illustrated that he will be visiting Kentucky on July 19 with many of the program's other commitments from the Class of 2014. That will be the only other recruiting-related event for Snodgrass between now and the end of the summer.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522695
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WR Williams breaks down top choices

Justin Rowland

McKinney (Texas) receiver T.V. Williams is set to announce his decision at a press conference at his school Tuesday at 6:30 p.m.

Rivals.com will be in attendance and providing coverage as the three-star prospect chooses between the five schools still standing on his list.

Oregon State, Iowa, Kentucky, Houston and Nebraska are the finalists and Williams has done a pretty good job of keeping everything quiet. That was a goal.

"I'm really excited," Williams told Cats Illustrated over the weekend. "I wanted to keep all the rumors and everything away and I think I've done a pretty good job of it."

There will be five hats on the table and Tuesday he will pick up just one of them. He spoke at length about each of those schools still standing and why they made the cut:

Oregon State: "Oregon State made the final list because one of the big things I wanted in a school was coaching stability. That's one thing Oregon State had. Coach (Mike) Riley's been there for a long time and his contract doesn't end for a long time. Another thing is they run the pro-style offense, so if I was blessed enough to go to the NFL the transition from college to the next level won't be as painful as it would be in another offense."

Iowa: "With Iowa I like Coach (Bobby) Kennedy and Coach (Greg) Davis and the legacy they left at Texas. They won a national championship there at Texas. Their receiving corps at Texas was unreal. They left a lot of history and tradition. That was big now that they're back together. I went and visited Iowa and got to talk to Coach (Kirk) Ferentz a lot and that was really good."

Kentucky: "I like that Kentucky has a really good recruiting class going on this year and that's really nice. It's a really, really nice recruiting class. I have a relationship with Coach (Tommy) Mainord and Coach (Neal) Brown when they were at (Texas) Tech and those are really good relationships. I feel like if you bring that Air Raid offense and combine it with the defense Coach (Mark) Stoops is bringing over from Florida State some really good things could happen."

Houston: "Houston was a good school I really liked in the beginning. They were my first offer and that stuck with me a lot. They really believed in me. Then coach Meachum came over from Oklahoma State and I had to strengthen my relationship I had with the staff on the offensive side of the ball. They're building a new stadium and also moving to the Big East."

Nebraska: "Nebraska was good. Very unexpected. I got to sit with Coach (Tim) Beck a lot and we went through the offense. He's really creative with his play calling. You can't tell but it's a pass-first offense with the option to run. They get a lot of one-on-one match-ups and really get the slot in space. That's what I really enjoyed about the visit to Nebraska, the offense. Then also just seeing the facilities. It was unreal to see the facilities they have. The academic section was just as good as the football section."

Williams recently attended The Opening in Oregon and posted one of the fastest shuttle times of any of the prospects in attendance.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1522821
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 16(current)
  • Next