•  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 UK Football Recruiting
Strikeout King Wrote:Darryl Long commits to Kentucky. 3* TE....22 in his position

Tymere Dubose has also committed, from what I see on Twitter.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...ose-147510
[Image:

]
^ Yep and he had offers from Michigan State, West Virginia, Arkansas, Maryland
Tymere Dubose high school coach is actually Vince Marrow's brother
Long picks Kentucky over Louisville, Illinois, others

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

Darryl Long was at a camp on Saturday so he wasn't immediately available to discuss his commitment to Kentucky. Cats Illustrated caught up with him shortly after he left that event.

He announced his decision during the camp but it wasn't a spur of the moment decision.

"I've known I would commit to Kentucky for about a week, two weeks now," he said. "I had them as my number one for a while. Then a few schools came in and made me really start thinking about it. But I realized I really do want to go to UK."

Long first told Cats Illustrated of his plans to announce on Saturday, but as the weekend drew closer he seemed to have second thoughts. In fact, he announced that he would be postponing his decision before taking to Twitter to clear things up. There he announced that Saturday would be decision day after all.

What was behind the hesitation?

"I knew I was going to UK," he said. "The reason for it was academics. I have exams coming up and I was thinking I wanted to get all that pressure off so I can focus on them. But this week I became so sure I was ready."

So why did Long choose UK?

"I like how family-oriented they are up there. Also being able to be coached by coach (Vince) Marrow and coach (Mark) Stoops, and that offense fits me well. I also really like their high performance training thing they've got. That will help me to be where I want to be. Those were the main reasons.

"Having guys like Mikel Horton, Thaddeus Snodgrass and Dorian Hendrix helps a lot too."

Many Ohio recruits have raved about Marrow, who is now responsible for all five of UK's commitments.

"I just like how he makes you feel like you're a part of his family. What sold me was how he was a scout and had a track record of putting guys in the NFL. He played there as well," Long said.

At the camp on Saturday Long checked in at 6-foot-5 and 230-pounds. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.6 seconds, but he's not satisfied.

"I'm mainly working on my speed. I want to work on that. I'm trying to get it down to a 4.4," he said. "I want to be as fast as I can be for SEC football."

Long's other finalists were North Carolina, Louisville, Purdue and Pittsburgh in no particular order.

He actually played defensive end for most of his life before starting up at tight end as a junior. Long said another main area of focus, other than speed, is working on his hands.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500222
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
Dubose gives UK its second Saturday commit

Justin Rowland

At this rate Kentucky could have one of the SEC's top defensive lines in the coming years. Tymere Dubose became just the latest big, athletic lineman to commit to the Wildcats on Saturday.

It was a big day for the UK football program. First three-star tight end Darryl Long pledged to the Cats. Next word leaked that Tymere Dubose had committed to Kentucky.

Cats Illustrated first reported this week that Dubose was planning a Wednesday press conference to announce his college choice. But Vindy.com, the webpage of the Youngstown (Ohio) newspaper The Vindicator, reported on Saturday that Dubose had picked Kentucky.

It wasn't a huge surprise as the Wildcats were believed to be the favorites for a number of reasons. First, Kentucky showed interest in Dubose and offered before most other schools, who only recently got involved. And Dubose's coach is Brian Marrow, the brother of UK assistant coach Vince Marrow.

Recently rated a three-star prospect by Rivals.com, Dubose also had offers from the likes of Michigan State, Arkansas, West Virginia and Maryland, among others. Altogether more than a dozen schools had offered.

Dubose has only played one year of high school football so in some respects he's still very raw. But the 6-foot-6, 265-pound defensive lineman is believed to have enormous upside, according to many scouts that frequent the region.

Given the fact that the state of Ohio does not have spring football and Dubose's lack of experience, it's understandable that he remained under the radar for so long.

He is Kentucky's fifth verbal commitment from the Class of 2014 and the only defensive lineman. He joins an impressive crop of young defensive linemen that will be entering the program in the years ahead. Also included in that group would be Jason Hatcher, Jacob Hyde, Alvonte Bell and Regie Meant, in addition to Za'Darius Smith and whoever else UK adds in this year's class.

Dubose's commitment boosts Kentucky's class up to No. 20 nationally on the Rivals.com team ranking list for 2014.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500297
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Townsend's interest in Kentucky keeps growing

Justin Rowland

Darien Townsend visited Kentucky last year for the Wildcats' game against Georgia and he visited the school for a second time for the UK spring game.

At the Georgia game last year Townsend wasn't able to see too much of the school but said that he did see enough to pique his interest in Kentucky. His interest has only risen since Mark Stoops took over as the head coach.

Townsend has noticed an increased energy around the program and UK is especially appealing given Stoops' and Vince Marrow's ties to the Youngstown area.

"(Coach Marrow) is pretty cool," Townsend told Cats Illustrated. "I think the facilities up there are really nice and I like the coaches. I got to talk to a lot of them about some things. I talked to the receivers coach (Tommy Mainord) and I talked to coach Marrow."

Kentucky has not offered the 5-foot-10, 175-pound athlete, and in fact, Townsend is waiting for his first offer.

His next best chance to pick up offers might be during the summer on the camp circuit. He plans to work out for the UK coaches to try and convince them that he is offer material.

"They were telling me they want to see how quick I am in person and they also want to see my route running," he said. "They're recruiting me as an inside receiver.

"I like the spread a lot and the fact that there's going to be a big-time threat on the outside," he said, clarifying that he was referring to Thaddeus Snodgrass. "I don't know him personally but I did get to meet him at the spring game."

Townsend said Kentucky, Akron and Bowling Green are the schools showing the most interest for now, and the Wildcats are his current favorite.

Last fall Townsend had 845 receiving yards and caught 14 touchdown passes. He also returned two kickoffs and two punts for touchdowns.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500653
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Defensive tackle Shaw eyes Kentucky visit

Justin Rowland

While Kentucky is making major inroads into Ohio the Wildcats are also getting a positive reception from recruits in the South. Elisha Shaw is evidence of that.

Ranked the nation's No. 3 defensive tackle by Rivals.com, Shaw has offers from some of the nation's top programs and biggest brands.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida State, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Texas are just some of the schools that have offered the Atlanta (Ga.) Tucker standout. Needless to say any school that hopes to reel Shaw in will have to fight through plenty of competition.

This spring the 6-foot-6, 299-pound defensive tackle has visited Alabama and Georgia.

"Alabama just had more people at their game," Shaw said. "But both of them were really good games."

Coaches from Florida State, Texas, Ohio State and UCF have stopped by Tucker so far this spring with many more sure to come by this week.

And he's still picking up offers. Kentucky, Louisville, Miami and Tennessee have all gotten involved recently, a sign that his stock is still rising.

Shaw is only now starting to learn about Kentucky but Bradley Dale Peveto and his pitch have caught his attention already.

"I've talked to him like twice and he's just trying to get me down there," Shaw said. "I'm going to take a visit there."

But that won't be the only trip Shaw takes. He told Cats Illustrated he's not sure if his trip to Kentucky will be an unofficial or an official. He plans to take all five officials.

And while it's still early Kentucky and all but one school have some ground to make up.

"Alabama is the leader," he said. "I just told them I was going to commit to whatever school I'm going to at the Army Game. They're just ahead (of other schools) by a little."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500720
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Adrian Middleton @59OnMyChest Just spoke with Coach Stoops and Coach Brown #UK #BBN They just offered me Very Excited

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...ton-149121
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Georgia commit planning visits to Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Nick Glass may be committed to Georgia but the Kentucky coaching staff is recruiting him as though he isn't. And he's not exactly turning the Wildcats away.

Cats Illustrated caught up with the four-star safety over the weekend and Glass spoke about the recruiting process and where things stand.

For starters, Glass said he's "pretty solid" to Georgia. But he also said that he's keeping several other options open. One of those options is Kentucky.

There had been some talk that Glass would visit Kentucky early in the spring. That trip has not happened but the 6-foot-1, 196-pound defensive back is still intent on making it happen. Not once, but twice.

"I've visited all the schools I want to visit except probably Kentucky and Arkansas," Glass said. "I'll probably take an unofficial to both and then probably an official visit to both of them."

The coaching staff is the primary reason for Glass' interest in Kentucky.

"I talk to coach (Bradley Dale) Peveto and coach (Derrick) Ansley," he said. "I'm probably closer to coach Peveto because I talk to him more on a personal level and I love more often than I talk to coach Ansley. I probably talk to him like every other day.

"He's talked about how they're on the rise and how they've got money pumping through the program. Now they only need players to come through the program to turn it around."

Glass also noted that he's close friends with defensive end Dante Sawyer and running back Stanley Williams. Both of those players are top UK targets from Georgia as well.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501059
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Linebacker Brown looking ahead to official visits

Justin Rowland

The summer hasn't even arrived but one Florida linebacker is already looking well beyond that and into the fall and winter.

Juwuan Brown is one of Kentucky's top linebacker targets and the 6-foot-2, 210-pound prospect from Tampa (Fla.) Jefferson is an emerging recruit whose profile is getting bigger and more attractive each week.

Kentucky, Louisville, USF and Indiana are the BCS conference schools that have offered Brown so far. This week Brown admitted to Cats Illustrated that one is standing out.

"I want to say USF is kinda standing out," Brown said. "They're showing a lot of love. I've been there and I just loved the atmosphere of (the school). I like the school a lot.

But there's plenty of time left and Brown doesn't plan to shut down the recruiting process any time soon.

Indiana was the first school to offer and both Kentucky and Louisville have offered since. The Wildcats and Cardinals seem to go head to head for recruits all over the country nowadays, whether they are in Ohio, Florida or anywhere in between.

"I'm going to take one of my (official) visits to Kentucky," Brown said. "I do like Kentucky. I just don't know much about them yet. Coach (Chad) Scott is recruiting me and he's been telling me about how the head coach wants me bad.

"Louisville, I like Charlie Strong, so yeah, I have some thoughts on them too."

Though the spring evaluation period is in full swing Brown said not many assistant coaches have stopped by his school yet. That should change next week as Kentucky will be making the rounds in Florida.

Brown said he plans on "taking advantage of" all of his official visits before making his ultimate college decision.

Last year at Jefferson he led his team with eight sacks in only six games of action. He missed four games because of a sprained ankle and minor lower back issues.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500659
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Offensive lineman LaRubbio likes UK 'a lot'

Justin Rowland

Kentucky is poised to sign more prospects from the Buckeye State than anyone imagined they would in this year's class. Now another top recruit from Ohio favors the Wildcats.

Immediately after the Kentucky spring game Liberty Township (Ohio) Lakota East offensive guard Jarrett LaRubbio recapped his weekend trips to Vanderbilt and Kentucky. When he did he seemed to imply that the Commodores were standing out.

However, when Cats Illustrated caught up with him this week LaRubbio was singing a different tune. Since returning to Ohio from Vanderbilt and Kentucky, LaRubbio has also visited North Carolina, NC State and Duke.

All of those schools have offered.

"They were all real good," LaRubbio said. "I saw the spring games at N.C. State and Kentucky.

"It's tough to say but I really like Kentucky a lot. I like the coaches they've got there."

Vince Marrow, UK's primary recruiter in the state of Ohio, is the coach with the responsibility of selling Kentucky to LaRubbio. He's made a great impression so far.

"He's a good coach and we're from the same area. He's from Youngstown, Ohio, and so am I," LaRubbio said.

The near four-star lineman has now been to Kentucky twice since Mark Stoops and his new staff took over in Lexington.

The most recent trip for the spring game was special because it gave him clear evidence that the fan support for the program and the coaches is there.

"It was real cool seeing that many people show up and like I said, I really like their coaches," he said.

LaRubbio said he "knows of" some of the other Ohio recruits that the Wildcats have made a top priority. He added that he's not sure when he will be making his decision.

With other offers from Arizona State, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Nebraska, North Carolina, NC State, Pitt, Vanderbilt, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin, LaRubbio is ranked the No. 16 offensive guard in the nation.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500655
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Recruiting has definitely picked up.
OL Bowen puts recruiting on hold for now

Justin Rowland

The last time Cats Illustrated caught up with Ja'Merez Bowen he said Kentucky had blown him away on his unofficial visit but admitted he has some work to do over the next year.

The work that needs to be done is primarily in the classroom.

Perhaps that's one reason Bowen has stepped back and away from the recruiting process of late.

The 6-foot-5, 270-pound offensive tackle from Cleveland (Ohio) Shaker Heights is trying not to think too much about the future when he's got enough to worry about in the here and now. Every report card and every test matters, and his focus seems to be on closing the year strong.

"I'm not really thinking too much about recruiting right now," Bowen said. "I don't have any plans to visit anybody. I probably won't visit any more schools until after the football season. Nobody's really standing out."

Does that mean his interest in Kentucky has fallen off?

"No," he responded. "I mean, it's been a little while since I talked to them. I went on the junior day and they've offered me. Coach (Vince) Marrow is recruiting me.

"I mean, I like them. I just don't really know where I want to go yet. It's a lot to think about. I'm not sure what's going to happen."

Bowen also claims offers from Indiana, Louisville, Nebraska, NC State and Pittsburgh. While he's trying not to think about the recruiting process, the process isn't necessarily trying to avoid him.

Coaches from Pitt, Nebraska, Northwestern, Louisville, Indiana, Maryland, UCF and Ball State have already stopped by Shaker Heights during the spring evaluation period to date with more schools sure to come by.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500662
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Moss likes Kentucky, but has plenty of SEC suitors

Justin Rowland

Ashville (Ala.) four-star athlete E.J. Moss has offers from Kentucky and Mississippi State. He visited both of those schools and Ole Miss in recent weeks and spoke with Cats Illustrated about how each went.

Judging by Moss' comments he has some legitimate interest in the Wildcats.

Kentucky is recruiting the 6-foot-3, 210-pound prospect as a linebacker, a big position of need. UK plans to send a coach by Ashville on Monday to watch Moss participate in a practice, yet another sign of their interest and the kind of priority the Wildcats are making him.

"I've been to Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Kentucky here lately," Moss said. "They were all really good and pretty much the same for the most part. They were mostly practices. I went to Alabama's A-Day Game as well. Now they're showing some interest."

Alabama's coaches want Moss to attend one of their camps this summer.

How did his trip to Kentucky go?

"Kentucky, man, I really liked it. It's kinda a little country town and I really do like that. Kentucky basketball is great, too. I like that a lot.

"Coach (Derrick) Ansley has been recruiting me since the eighth grade when he was at Alabama. Then he went to Tennessee and now he's at Kentucky. I have a really strong relationship with coach Ansley since I've known him for a while. I like all the stuff they're doing at Kentucky."

But the Cats have plenty of competition from the Mississippi schools.

"Ole Miss had a really good recruiting class last year and I think they'll have a really good (class) this (year). Coach (Derrick) Nix is my recruiting coach and he's from Alabama not too far down the road from where I am. He's a really cool guy and from what I got to see I like the campus a lot," Moss said.

"Me and coach (Geoff) Collins from (Mississippi State) get along real well. He's a really cool guy and I do like him a lot. They have a really nice campus and really nice coaches."

Moss said location will probably not be a big factor in his decision. More important for the four-star prospect will be finding a school where he believes he has a chance to compete for playing time.

While he does not have a timetable for when he would like to make a decision he did say that he would be open to making an early announcement if he finds the right school.

He is planning to camp at Kentucky, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501154
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cats making run at Pennsylvania safety Henry

Justin Rowland

The Wildcats aren't recruiting the state of Pennsylvania with the same intensity they are blanketing Ohio, but there are signs UK is trying to inch their way each.

The evidence includes offers to prospects like Alex Bookser and Troy Apke, the latter having recently committed to Penn State. And more recently Kentucky started showing interest in Aliquippa (Pa.) safety Dravon Henry.

News started circulating this week that Kentucky had offered the 6-foot, 185-pound safety, but those reports may have been premature.

"The coach (Derrick Ansley) came to my track meet and said they're going to offer me but they want to offer me face to face in the coach's office," Henry said. "I don't know if they have (offered) for sure but they're going to."

There's just one catch: There's no guarantee Henry will actually visit Kentucky.

It's something he's open to doing but Henry already has a long offer list and recently listed four schools as his favorites. Those schools are Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh and West Virginia, and while he has clarified that he's still open to others, that's what he's thinking for now.

Nonetheless Ansley made the trip to the Keystone State and made it clear that Kentucky would like Henry to at least consider a trip to Lexington.

"(Ansley) told me a little bit about the school and how it's SEC ball," Henry said. "Big and fast. He talked about how that's the best conference. He told me about the defense and asked me what our style of defens eis. He talked to our defensive coach, too.

"He seemed like a good coach, a real young guy."

Henry did say that he probably will not take any more college visits until sometime during the football season this fall.

The four-star prospect is ranked the No. 12 safety and No. 157 overall prospect in the nation according to Rivals.com.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501158
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gennesy could follow Smith's path to Kentucky

Justin Rowland

As a high school senior at Southaven (Miss.) two years ago Avery Gennesy had several scholarship offers but after a couple of years at the junior college level a whole new world of possibilities has opened up for him.

Two years ago Gennesy was a 6-foot-4, 285-pound high schooler with offers from Arkansas State, Florida International, Memphis, Southern Miss and UAB.

Now he's a 6-foot-5, 315-pound young man with offers from Kentucky, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Mississippi State and Oklahoma State.

Notice the difference?

Kentucky's coaches have. Gennesy told Cats Illustrated that offensive line coach John Schlarman stopped by Scooba (Miss.) East Mississippi Community College recently and that's when Kentucky offered him.

"That was the first time I talked to him and I talked to him like a week later," Gennesy said. "He's just told me that they really like me and they've watched my tape and stuff.

"I have interest in them just like I have interest in everybody. I'm looking at everybody."

Those who follow Kentucky football recruiting will notice the school Gennesy currently attends. East Mississippi is where defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh coached before he landed his current position at UK.

That's also the former home of current UK junior Za'Darius Smith.

Smith is evidence that Brumbaugh's ties to the school can help. But Jarran Reed, also from the last recruiting class, is evidence that it's not always a huge factor. Reed went on to sign with Florida.

"I know (Smith)," Gennesy went on to say. "We're pretty close. Me and coach Brumbaugh are real close too."

So in this case those ties might help the Wildcats. But don't expect Gennesy to do anything in the near future.

"I'm going to take my time," he concluded. "I don't have any favorites."

Gennesy said he has visited Mississippi State but in spite of his history in the state of Mississippi he has never visited Ole Miss.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501162
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DT Pittman has four offers, including Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Jamiyus Pittman is a unique prospect in some respects. Typically when schools like Florida and Miami offer you expect many other schools to offer as well.

It hasn't played out that way yet for the Moultrie (Ga.) Colquitt County defensive tackle. Kentucky and Ole Miss are the other schools that have offered, but altogether the 6-foot-2, 280-pound line prospect has just four offers.

That could change soon. South Carolina sent an assistant coach by Colquitt County last week. Miami plans to stop by Tuesday and Texas A&M should make the trip soon.

Pittman told Cats Illustrated this week that no schools are standing out. He's only visited Florida so far. That means he's got a lot more research to do.

"I liked Florida a lot," Pittman said. "I loved it. It's like everybody is family. Nobody thinks they're better than anybody."

And what about the other schools that have offered?

"I've got a cousin going (to Ole Miss). I don't know that much about them though. I want to go check them and all the others out," he said.

"From Kentucky I've been talking to coach (Derrick) Ansley a lot. He's pretty laid back. He's cool. He just wants me to come down and see it. I think I will do that but I'm not sure when.

"I'm going to take a visit down to Miami this summer but I don't know the date yet," he said.

Pittman added that he does not know whether he will make an early decision or a late decision. He is not sure whether he will take official visits or not.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501167
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WR Proctor intrigued by Kentucky offense

Justin Rowland

For Kentucky fans accustomed to seeing the Mark Stoops-led Wildcats pursue four-star prospects it might come as a bit of a surprise to see UK pursuing a two-star from Florida.

But last year the Wildcats showed they weren't about star-gazing when they signed Regie Meant, the under the radar defensive lineman that only started to gain recognition at the end of the process. Now the staff believes they have identified another top talent without the lofty ranking.

That would be Roderick Proctor, a 5-foot-11, 161-pound receiver from Orlando (Fla.) Dr. Phillips who already has offers from Arizona, Iowa State and Bowling Green.

"I would say Arizona's standing out," Proctor said. "They're up there. I don't know if they'll be number one when Kentucky offers but as of now it's just them. Iowa State and Bowling Green, I'll keep them in mind."

That confidence regarding the Kentucky offer is well-founded.

"I've talked to Chad Scott and he really likes me. I think they're going to offer in the next week or so when they come to my school for spring practice," he said. "The way he's been talking me up, and the QB coach (Neal Brown), it sounds good."

Arizona offered Proctor in January and interest from schools has slowly but steadily increased since then.

Kentucky is intriguing on a number of levels for Proctor.

"They run the same offense we run at Dr. Phillips. It's the spread and a lot of one on one situations. That's something I'm real strong at," he said.

"They're trying to turn things about, too. They just came over from Texas (Tech) and it's been a big turnaround already with 50,000 people in the stands at their spring game."

Proctor had 43 catches for 443 yards and 11 touchdowns last fall.

While he is only a two-star prospect Proctor's stock has been soaring especially after a big-time performance at the IMG/NFA 7-on-7 Southeast Regional Tournament.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501175
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brown hopes to take trip to see Kentucky

Justin Rowland

Gary Brown has been in regular contact with Kentucky assistant coach Chad Scott since the early part of this year and he's anxious to visit Lexington.

One problem: It's not exactly an easy trip from Tampa, Fla., or a cheap one.

"Kentucky is a visit that I want to take," Brown said. "We were looking at the flight prices and they kept going up. My mom looked them up again and in the summer (the prices) dropped down. We're waiting on a coach from Kentucky to tell us what date we can go there so my mom can book it."

Scott has been in contact with the 6-foot-3, 275-pound lineman frequently enough to get a good feel for what the Cats' running backs coach is all about.

"We've been talking like once a week ever since I've been recruited there. He said that since I'm trying to do business it would be a great school for that," Brown said.

"He also said if I were to commit there I would (help them build) a powerful unit for their team," he said.

Brown's teammate, tight Marcus Mosely, also has an offer from Kentucky. But the Wildcats recently received a commitment from Ohio tight end Darryl Long. Earlier this year Brown told Cats Illustrated that he and Mosely are close friends and have been for several years.

While Kentucky is an intriguing option for the three-star lineman, Brown said he's got an open mind.

"I'm still trying to do my research, take my time and take some official visits so I can learn a lot more, really," he said. "The main things I'm looking for is the business school, academics and how I would do on the football team."

The only college visits Brown has taken this spring were to Georgia Tech and South Florida.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501180
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OL McBride could come down to Kentucky, USF

Justin Rowland

Kentucky and South Florida have become recruiting rivals since Mark Stoops and Willie Taggart assumed their respective positions.

That was bound to happen with Kentucky making the Sunshine State a priority and USF working to build a more powerful brand in their home state.

So far the Wildcats have won their share of battles, notably with players like Jojo Kemp and Jeff Badet among others, while USF's early commitments from the Class of 2014 have come, at least in part, at the expense of UK.

Montel McBride is another recruit the two schools are going head to head for. In fact, in spite of the fact that McBride has offers from Florida State and others, UK and USF are standing out.

"My interest is Kentucky is high," McBride said. "I like them and USF a lot. I'm not going to rule out any other schools but (Kentucky) is definitely a visit I want to take and I'm liking those two a lot. I would say those two are even."

The 6-foot-4, 332-pound lineman from Plant City (Fla.) is ranked the No. 17 offensive guard in the nation.

Kentucky's assistant coaches are making the rounds in Florida this week and they plan to stop by Plant City to see McBride. Last week Louisville and South Alabama stopped by.

So far this spring McBride has visited Florida and USF.

"I went to USF's spring game and I enjoyed that a lot. I got to be around a lot of the players and I got a feel for how it would be if I was to play there," he said.

Kentucky is pushing for McBride to visit over the summer and he told Cats Illustrated that's something he will probably do.

"Me and coach (Chad) Scott talk a lot. Actually it's at least once or twice a week," he said. "It's hard to describe but they're very proactive recruiters. They make you feel wanted.

"I've talked to (Scott), the offensive coordinator (Neal Brown), the defensive coordinator (D.J. Eliot) and the defensive line coach (Jimmy Brumbaugh). They talk about the SEC and with the draft everybody's been watching to see how many linemen went in the first round.

"They've talked to me about being a four-year starter and getting to the league as quickly as possible."

While the Wildcats and Bulls are running ahead of the field McBride said he will probably take all five of his official visits so his decision might not come until closer to National Signing Day.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501168
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drew Barker @D_Barker7 I will be announcing my college commitment on Friday, May 10, at the Conner High School auditorium around 330. Everyone is welcome to come!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ohio four-star receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass liked Kentucky because of academics, fan base and coaches

Published May 3, 2013

By LARRY VAUGHT

Long before he made his verbal commitment to Kentucky, Ohio receiver Thaddeus Snodgrass knew he was going to be a Wildcat.

“It was the academics, the fan base and the coaches. I knew way before I announced my decision what I was going to do because I loved Kentucky,” said the Springfield, Ohio, receiver. “It’s the SEC. You get to play in the best conference in college football and go against major competition each week.”

Snodgrass, a four-star recruit, is the highest ranked receiver ever to commit to UK, and he’s already working on helping bring more talent to the 2014 recruiting class.

“I didn’t know about that ranking until I read it a few times. It’s an honor, but records mean nothing. You still have to work hard to get your position and play,” he said. “That’s why I am shutting down my recruiting and focusing on my senior year, and that also lets me start recruiting other guys now, too. There are going to be a lot more guys committing to Kentucky soon. There will be three or four more in the next couple of weeks, including maybe a few surprises. It’s a program on the rise that players want to be part of and want to help build it back. They see how the Kentucky fans are hungry for success. And they have great coaches.”

He’s obviously sold on the package that offensive coordinator Neal Brown ran at Texas Tech and will use at UK.

“I watched a lot of Texas Tech football last year. I love that offense and it had a major impact on my decision to come to Kentucky. It’s a great way for a receiver to get exposure and get a lot of chances t make plays,” the 6-1, 184-pound Snodgrass, who has been timed in 4.3 seconds in the 40-yard dash, said.

Snodgrass describes himself as a “player willing to do anything to win” on or off the field.

“I am committed to working hard. I want to be the best I can be for my team. And I love to play physical,” he said.

He’s played tight end, linebacker and running back during his career, but says receiver is what he likes most.

“I was bigger than most kids, so I played other positions. But receiver is what I do best at. It gives me a chance to make big plays and get my hands on the ball,” he said. “But we run a lot of triple option here, so I do not mind blocking at all.”

Snodgrass said he never grew up dreaming of playing in the NFL, and still won’t think that far ahead.

“I just thought I would be a regular guy until middle school and high school,” he said. “But I am still keeping that stuff out of my head. That would be dream thing, but I’m going to stay humble and wait until that time comes to think or worry about that.”

Snodgrass said he had “never heard from Kentucky” before coach Mark Stoops and Brown arrived.

“Stoops is an Ohio guy and we know we can put our trust in him. Same with (UK assistant) coach (Vince) Marrow. He’s an Ohio guy we trust and like. That has made a big impact for UK here. But there are really a bunch of UK fans up this way, too. They are all excited over the way UK is recruiting Ohio now,” Snodgrass, who is running track now, said. “It’s just hard not to believe in what he does.”

Snodgrass believed even more after more than 50,000 UK fans attended the Blue-White Game to end spring practice.

“That just made me feel even better about my decision. I think it opened the eyes of a lot of other recruits, too. Plus, you got to see the offense score points. Recruits like that,” he said. “The Kentucky fan base is just ridiculous, though. Everybody is behind the football team and now you have a great offensive coordinator coaching you. What’s not to like?”

That’s the message he’s telling Conner’s Drew Barker, UK’s top quarterback target in the 2014 recruiting class. He’s gong to make his college announcement May 10.

“Drew is real good, a laid-back guy. I really think we have a great chance of getting him,” Snodgrass said. “I’m doing all I can to get him.”

http://vaughtsviews.com/ohio-four-star-r...d-coaches/
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cats among schools pursuing WR Holmes

Justin Rowland

Kentucky is trying to make its presence felt in the Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) area and to that end they are recruiting some of the areas top players, even when it looks like a long shot.

The Wildcats have extended an offer to four-star wide receiver Corey Holmes, a 6-foot-2, 174-pound receiver from St. Thomas Aquinas, that nationally-renowned program that has put out an enormous amount of talent over the years.

Holmes picked up an offer from Kentucky "a couple of weeks ago," he told Cats Illustrated, and UK is still in the very early stages of the process with him.

But he's not ruling Kentucky out. With an offer list seemingly a mile-long, Holmes is still learning about each of the schools that are pursuing him.

"I know I talked to one of (Kentucky's) coaches but not in the past week or so. They've been (communicating) through letters and everything, saying all the time how Kentucky's such a great place for football. They've said a lot about the city they're located in and just reminded me what they have. They're just trying to sell their school," he said.

Holmes plans to take all five of his official visits and said he hasn't closed the door on a trip to UK.

But recently he was focused intently on two other schools.

"A couple of weeks back I visited Notre Dame and that following weekend I visited Oklahoma," he said. "I had been to Notre Dame two times before. On the third time I really wanted to see what the campus would be like and what it would be like to be a student. So I got to do that. I got to talk to the players and a couple more coaches that I hadn't talked to before.

"The Oklahoma trip was great. They had plenty of great things to say about Oklahoma. I had never been to the state of Oklahoma before so that was really interesting. I went up for the spring game and that was awesome. They had about 30,000 fans. It was a great atmosphere. I talked ot the coaches and was with at least about three coaches the whole day. They were showing me around the facilities and they were great. I got to talk to a couple of players."

While Kentucky's offer was fairly recent since that time Holmes has picked up offers from NC State, Stanford and Tulane. That's a sign of how things haven't slowed down one bit for Holmes, especially since the spring evaluation period started up again.

And while Kentucky is a trip he's open to taking, Holmes said a few others take priority just because those schools have been on him a bit longer.

"This summer I hope to go out to UCLA, Tennessee and Vanderbilt," he said. "If some new schools come into the picture I hope to visit them too.

"I'm trying to get to as many campuses as possible. I don't know what they all have to offer yet. I haven't met all the coaching staffs. I hope to take all five (official visits) but I would say it's a little too early to tell. I don't know if (his decision) will be on the third or fourth visit."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501183
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky is first to offer 2015 athlete Davis

Justin Rowland

Mount Dora (Fla.) athlete Von Davis is only a sophomore but he got some huge news last week when the Kentucky coaches decided to verbally offer him a scholarship.

Davis initially learned of the UK offer through his head coach.

Not long after that he spoke with Kentucky running backs coach Chad Scott and others on the staff.

"Three different coaches have talked to me," Davis said. "I think they just came across my film but they're coming in a couple of weeks to look at my partner, Jefferson Vea. He's our other cornerback. He's got an offer from Memphis."

Vea is a Class of 2014 prospect, one year older than Davis.

Davis, a 5-foot-11, 172-pound corner, said Kentucky is intriguing because of Mark Stoops' background. He would know a little about that as a resident of Florida.

"Coach Scott has told me about Coach Stoops coming in. We didn't talk all that much about the school or the organization but they say they're going to visit in a couple of weeks. I like how they got the Florida State coach. I think they're going to have a good organization that they're trying to build. It's an SEC team and (the league) sends a lot of players to the NFL," he said.

While Kentucky is the only school that has offered so far Davis has also heard from coaches at Miami and Florida State. He has not visited any schools yet.

Most schools are likely to recruit him as a cornerback even though Davis put up big numbers as a receiver last fall. He hauled in 29 passes for 630 yards and 10 scores.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1501185
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky offers North Carolina linebacker

Justin Rowland

Kentucky needs linebackers and that's a message the assistant coaches on the staff are preaching everywhere they go.

While coaches are limited in the amount of contact they can have with recruits there are ways they can get their message across. They can talk to a recruit's coaches and they can get on the phone with a recruit after they have left his school.

However it happens, coaches get their message across. And Kentucky's coaches are letting every linebacker they are recruiting know that they are needed.

Especially guys like Chris Register, a Rivals250 linebacker from North Carolina and one of that state's top prospects. Ranked the No. 10 outside linebacker in the nation, the Greensboro (N.C.) Dudley prospect already has a lengthy offer list. He also knows that the in-state schools, primarily North Carolina and NC State, would love to keep him at home.

Kentucky assistant coach Tommy Mainord has been stumping in North Carolina and Register was one of the key recruits he wanted to check out.

"My coach told me [on Wednesday] that Kentucky and Miami had offered," Register said. "I know a lot about Miami and what they produce. I pretty much know that and that they graduate 100 percent of their players.

"Kentucky is supposed to be getting new facilities and they've got a new coaching staff that's coming in."

That's all the 6-foot-2, 226-pound linebacker knows for now. But he could learn a lot more soon.

"I would like to take visits [to both schools]," Register added. "I will definitely get down to Miami and I might visit Kentucky."

Register made it clear that it wasn't too late for either school to get involved. While he is more familiar with more local schools like North Carolina, NC State and Clemson, simply because they have been recruiting him the longest and he has visited those schools multiple times, he's remaining open to whatever comes his way.

In early June Register plans to visit the state of Florida, where he will visit Florida State and Miami.

At one point he had hoped to make a relatively early decision. Now his timetable is completely up in the air.

"To be honest I don't really know anymore," he said with a laugh. "I was never really that close to making a decision. These schools that have been taking longer to grade my film are starting to come around. They've been coming in with late offers and it's hard to even keep up."

Register added that he would like to take his official visits but he does not know where he will take them yet.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1502922
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UK among standout schools for Ex-UGA commit

Justin Rowland

Stanley Williams is no longer committed to Georgia so the recruiting process has heated up more than ever before. It might heat up even more after his recent track showing.

The nation's No. 98 overall prospect won the Georgia state championship in the 100 meters over the weekend. Not bad considering this is only his first year running track.

"I was real confident in myself but of course going into those kind of moments, somewhere you've never been, you're nervous," Williams told Cats Illustrated. "Of course I was nervous but I was focused on what I had to do."

Williams said the race and the aftermath was emotional and a blur, so he doesn't even know what his exact time was.

"There were a lot of times going around," he said. "11.01, 11.02, 11.07. I don't know the exact time but it was around that. That was the best time I've ever had. Hand-timed I think coach clocked me at 10.3, but electronic (the best was) 11.1 or 11.2.

"I just wanted to come out and compete to get in shape for football. Once I started learning techniques and getting everything down I decided to actually go with it. I had that mindset that I could win a state championship."

Now the 5-foot-8, 186-pound all-purpose back is thinking he might try to run track in college. But football is his first priority.

No longer committed to Georgia, Williams said five schools are standing out.

"Clemson, South Carolina, Kentucky, West Virginia and Georgia. Those would be my top five right now," Williams said.

Williams said he speaks with UK assistant coach Bradley Dale Peveto on a regular basis.

"We're building that relationship so I make sure I stay in touch with him," Williams said. "He's a pretty cool guy. He's pretty laid back and he shoots you straightforward. He tells you the truth and lets you know what they expect and what's expecting out of you. He's telling me to make the best decision for me. Overall he's a good guy. He's a truthful guy."

Some schools are recruiting Williams primarily as a running back but Kentucky has a less defined idea of how he would fit in. The only thing that's clear is the Wildcats want to get him the ball.

"They're recruiting me as a running back and as a receiver. They're recruiting me for both. The last time I talked to coach Peveto he asked me if I would like to play receiver and I told him anything that helps the team out. I'm willing to play both. They would just move me around and put me in a lot of different spots so the defense can't get a feel for me," he said.

Williams said he will visit Kentucky this summer but the date for that trip is still up in the air. Peveto is planning to visit Bethlehem (Ga.) George Walton Academy and should be able to work out the details of a summer trip in the near future. Williams said he's anxious to tour the campus and get a sense for the atmosphere around the school.

Assistant coaches from Arizona, West Virginia, Georgia Tech and Middle Tennessee have already stopped by this spring. Alabama will visit as well.

Williams is good friends with four-star cornerback and Georgia commit Nick Glass, another prospect Kentucky is targeting. He and Glass have talked about the possibility of joining one another in Lexington and helping to turn the UK program around.

"It's definitely an option," he said. "I'm talking to Nick Glass and of course he's still committed to Georgia. I'm just talking to him, seeing what decision he's going to make. I'm not quite sure if he's going to go to Kentucky. He hasn't told me anything. But it's definitely an option. We have a little bit more time before anyone has to sign."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1503061
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cats among top five for massive JUCO lineman

Justin Rowland

Kentucky's coaches have identified several junior college prospects that they believe can make an immediate impact for the program. One is a massive lineman with the Wildcats in his current top five.

Adam Duckett is a 6-foot-8, 350-pound tackle from Milledgeville (Ga.) Georgia Military and he recently picked up his first offer from Kentucky. He doesn't plan to make a decision anytime soon, preferring to take his time and see what other offers will come in.

Bradley Dale Peveto and John Schlarman are both recruiting Duckett for UK and they have made a good impression so far.

"They mentioned the all-new coaching staff and they were talking about going up there for a visit," Duckett said.

Duckett said he is likely to visit Kentucky over the summer.

"It was my first offer," he said. "It was my first SEC offer and I will never forget that. That will stand out come Signing Day."

He expects more offers to come in so he doesn't want to narrow his list too much. Still, he was willing to give some insight into what he's thinking when Cats Illustrated asked whether any schools are standing out.

"If I had to pick a top five it'd be UK, Georgia, West Virginia, FSU and Mississippi State. No order," he said.

Duckett said he will weigh four factors more heavily than anything else when he's making his choice.

"The area, the school, the program and some other things but most of all the loyalty of the coaches," he said. "Whether the coaches are loyal to their word."

Coming out of high school Duckett attended Orlando (Fla.) East River. He's always been big and was listed at 6-foot-8 and 365-pounds as a high school senior.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1503335
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Offers flooding in for Ohio OL Krok

Justin Rowland

Josh Krok had a standout performance at the Rivals Camp Series presented by Under Armour. In Pittsburgh he was one of the biggest, most impressive linemen to attend.

Now the offers are coming.

Kentucky, Louisville, West Virginia, Virginia Tech and others have recently offered the 6-foot-9, 307-pound tackle from Niles (Ohio) McKinley.

The Wildcats offered late last week. It came as somewhat of a surprise and caught him off guard, but because of UK's recent recruiting momentum in Ohio it was a pleasant development.

Of course, Vince Marrow was the man to deliver the good news.

"I've only talked to him once but our head coach knows a lot of people from Kentucky and he knows coach Marrow," Krok said. "So does my government teacher. I plan on going on a visit down there this summer."

Maybe Marrow does know everyone in the state of Ohio.

While Krok has never been to Kentucky he has been to Louisville. Both schools have a common challenge in trying to convince Krok to spent his college years in the Commonwealth: Distance.

Kentucky isn't far from Ohio, but Krok does have one concern.

"I just don't really like car rides," he said. "Louisville was nice. I mean, it was about five and a half hours away but it has nice facilities and a good atmosphere. I don't mind how far it is, I just don't like to ride for a long time."

Many more schools plan to stop by and visit Krok in the days ahead with more offers likely to come as well. Because of that Krok doesn't want to narrow his list or name any favorites.

"I'll have to wait until I visit a couple of places before I narrow it down to five or three or anything like that," he said. "I'm going to take some official visits."

Krok received praise for his footwork and positioning at the Rivals camp in Pittsburgh.

Mid-Atlantic recruiting analyst Adam Friedman ranked Krok the number two offensive performer at the Pittsburgh leg of the camp series, behind only Marcelys Jones, an Ohio State commit and another UK target.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1503605
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cats among top five for Gainesville running back

Justin Rowland

In another sign that Kentucky's recruiting momentum in the South is increasing one of the region's top athletes listed the Wildcats in his top five alongside some of the nation's premier programs.

Gainesville (Fla.) athlete Tony James is the nation's No. 2 all-purpose back and No. 152 overall prospect.

He could probably go to just about any school in the nation. And Kentucky has his attention. This week the 5-foot-9, 175-pound prospect released his top five: Kentucky, Ole Miss, Nebraska, Ohio State and Oregon, in no particular order.

"I've talked to coach (Jimmy) Brumbaugh once or twice," James said. "He hasn't said too much except that he's excited to be recruiting me and in the offense they run they can see me doing a lot of different things for them."

That's exactly what James is looking for. He wants a spread offense that will allow him to get some carries but also get out of the backfield, run some routes and catch some passes.

With some minor variations each school on James' list plans to utilize him in the same way. Kentucky doesn't need another prospect that is strictly a running back, so his desire to be an all-purpose player fits right in with the Cats' needs.

"I actually have to call (Brumbaugh) again later on this week to talk to him some more," he said.

Brumbaugh visited Gainesville recently to watch James.

While UK is in good shape and in a better position than most of the schools that have offered, there's a lot of competition.

James has not set any summer visits in stone but he does plan to visit Auburn, Nebraska and "hopefully" Kentucky.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1503785
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rivals250 QB previews Friday decision

Woody Wommack
Analyst

With less than 48 hours until he announces his college decision Burlington (Ky.) Connor and Rivals250 quarterback Drew Barker opened up about his three finalists and why he decided to make a commitment now.

"I just felt like it was a good time," Barker said. "The summer camp period is about to start and I'm going to be out there recruiting some guys to the school I choose. I felt like it was time to do it and I was comfortable with the decision I made."

Barker will decide between Tennessee, Kentucky and South Carolina in a ceremony at his high school on Friday afternoon and he said he's already reached a final decision.

"I've decided but I haven't told any of the coaches yet," Barker said. "I might call them on Friday before I announce but for the most part I'm keeping it to myself.

He added that the only people who know are his parents and his sister and that his family played a big role in his decision.

"My parents were really helpful during the process," Barker said. "They gave me advice and tips that helped me decide."

Barker gave the latest on each of the SEC schools vying for his services:

South Carolina: "They came by last week and I think Coach Mangus is coming by tomorrow. I feel comfortable with Coach Spurrier and they've a prominent program with recent success. I really like the situation they have quarterback-wise going forward."

Kentucky: "They came in late with a new staff but they made up for it in a hurry by getting me down there. The coaches were at my school the second day after they got the job. They're done everything they can do to make sure I'm wearing the blue and white. There are a lot of things that go with that in this state, it can set you up with job opportunities in the future for life after football. On the field I like the offense and Coach Brown and all the coaches are cool and they're getting some good recruits right now."

Tennessee: "They're kind of different because I'm really familiar with that staff because they were recruiting me at Cincinnati. I was familiar with Coach Jones and Coach Elder because they've been on me for a long time. They have the best facilities I've seen. They're bringing in big-time recruits. Todd Kelly and Jalen Hurd, they've all been on me pretty hard to go there."

Barker took visits to Tennessee and Kentucky last month and said he had seen all he needed to after those trips.

"I've seen the schools that I wanted to see," Barker said. "I felt like it was time to make a decision and now I'm ready to announce."

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/con...ID=1504054
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 11(current)
  • Next