•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2014 UK Football Recruiting
I think Barker is UK bound. I've not seen or heard anything concerning him with any other school other than South carolina and he seems to like UK really well.
The Blue Blur Wrote:You're welcome guys. I'm a little worried about LeeCoUKFan, we haven't heard from him in a bit. I hope he's okay. You read this buddy check in for us, just so we know you're okay.
Today, Denzil Ware affirmed his commitment to the Cats & said he would sign his LOI. I guess he's seen enough. He recently has picked up offers & taken visits, specifically Florida, Georgia, & Florida State. FSU was the school he was originally committed to but he followed Stoops & Elliot here. Here's his tweet:

Denzel Ware1⃣8⃣ @Juiceman_18 I decided to stay firm to UK and be apart of #BBN #stoopstroops an sign in 2014 so let's the #wildcatnation

Thanks for being concerned. Sorry for the absence. Been pretty with several things going on and I went to South Carolina for Spring Break. Everything seems to be calming down now and I am looking forward to the Spring game as well as following the recruiting trail. Keep up the good work!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
LOSERS QUIT WHEN THEY'RE TIRED, WINNERS QUIT WHEN THEY HAVE WON
I don't want to overwhelm the thread with articles so I will just post some of the recent ones from the week or so.

Linebacker Hendrix make verbal commitment

Justin Rowland
Special to CatsIllustrated.com

Kentucky didn't sign any linebackers in the last recruiting class so the position was a great need in this cycle. The Wildcats are off to a great start with a commitment from Dorian Hendrix.

Hendrix, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound linebacker from Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne, has known what he has wanted to do for a while now.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT...19_200.JPG]

"I've probably known for a while now. Probably for about a month," Hendrix told Cats Illustrated shortly after his commitment on Friday.

Hendrix attended Kentucky's practice on Friday and while he knew what he wanted to do going into the trip he also wanted one final trip to seal the deal. He was able to speak with the coaches again, and that was key. The staff has always been a huge reason for Hendrix's interest in Kentucky.

"It was the staff," he said. "I've just got such a great relationship with those guys. Coach (Vince) Marrow, Coach (Mark) Stoops, Coach (D.J.) Eliot, Coach (Derrick) Ansley ... all of those guys. I've got a great relationship with all of them.

"I went to the practice today and got to talk to some of the players and they said nothing but good things about the school. The academics are great, the staff is great, the campus is just beautiful. It really does sound like it's the perfect place."

The staff also told Hendrix he will have a chance to crack the depth chart early in his college career. He knew it wasn't just talk, either.

"Absolutely," he said. "Playing time was one of the things they sold me on, not signing any linebackers in the last class. I'll have a chance to come in and play right away."

Hendrix also had offers from Illinois, Indiana and several MAC schools. He had entertained interest from Northwestern, Wisconsin and Duke, among others.

At the Best of the Midwest combine in February, Hendrix was rated the No. 15 performer there, with many of the region's top prospects making the trip to Indianapolis for that event. He was the third-best linebacker at the event according to Rivals.com Midwest analyst Josh Helmholdt.

Hendrix will return to Kentucky for the spring game. Now he goes from being recruited to doing some recruiting himself.

"I'm actually down here with Thaddeus Snodgrass, another guy they're recruiting now," he said. "I've talked to him, Mike Edwards, Mikel Horton, George Brown in the '15 class, Derek Kief ... all those guys. I'm going try and get them down here."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1486914
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky turns to Texas to eye a wide receiver

Justin Rowland

One of the lingering questions concerning Kentucky's football recruiting efforts was to what degree the new staff would recruit in Texas. We're starting to get an answer.

The Lone Star State doesn't appear to be part of Kentucky's central recruiting focus in the same way in-state prospects and those from Ohio and Florida are.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT..._6_26A.JPG]

But the staff is willing to identify specific talents that fit their system, especially if Neal Brown, Chad Scott or Tommy Mainord had a previous relationship with them from their stints at Texas Tech.

Enter T.V. Williams, a 5-foot-10, 160-pound receiver from McKinney (Tex.). He camped at Texas Tech last year and performed well.

When Brown left to take over as UK's offensive coordinator Williams sent his highlight tape to Lexington in the hopes that he would rise to the surface as a possible target.

"I didn't hear from them for a while but then maybe two weeks ago they offered," Williams said. "About a week before that we started goin back and forth. They sat down as a staff and watched my film. Coach Brown wanted to offer after that."

That was big for Williams and not only because it's another offer to his credit. He has already known he's likely headed to the BCS ranks with offers from Cal, Nebraska and Oregon State as well.

He has had a lot of respect for Brown and likes the idea of playing for him.

"I love coach Brown," Williams said. "He's always been a good guy to me. He's always been honest and he's going to tell me the truth. He's not going to lie to me. I really appreciate that. Also, I love the offense he's bringing to Kentucky.

"I wouldn't have a problem going to the SEC, either. I'd actually welcome it. It's one of the best leagues right now. If you want to be the best you've got to play the best."

Williams has never visited Kentucky but he plans to change that soon. He also added that he didn't believe the distance from McKinney to Lexington would hurt the Wildcats when he's making his decision.

"Distance isn't going to play a factor in my decision at all. It may be a good idea to stay home but then again it may be a good idea to leave. I don't know yet," he said.

"I'm going down to Baylor this weekend and I know for sure I'm going to Kentucky, I think for their spring game. They have a junior day tied into that so I know I'm going to go up there for that. I'm trying to go to Cal this May, probably, and I'll definitely go to Houston. I don't really have dates for most of it but I'm trying to get out to as many (schools) as possible."

As a junior Williams had 45 receptions for 800 yards and 11 touchdowns.

While Kentucky has offered a large number of receivers from across the country already Williams is the first from Texas to receive an offer from the Wildcats.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487164
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sousa among Florida prospects hearing UK buzz

Justin Rowland

Orlando is a long way from Lexington but junior football prospects in Florida have heard about the buzz surrounding the Kentucky football program.

That's a credit to what Mark Stoops and his staff have done in short order, and they haven't even coached a game yet.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT.../SOUSA.JPG]

Orlando (Fla.) Lake Nona wide receiver Ryan Sousa has plenty of options already. Boston College, Cincinnati, Missouri, Purdue, Rutgers, USF, UCF, UCLA, Wake Forest and Wisconsin have already offered the 6-foot, 180-pound receiver. Kentucky entered the picture with an offer just last week. The Wildcats offered on the same day Wisconsin did the same.

"I'm blessed to have all the offers I have," Sousa told Cats Illustrated shortly after learning of the offer. "Kentucky is doing a lot of great things and they play in the SEC. I'm just open to all schools right now and focused on being better."

He was hoping to show his improvement at the Orlando NFTC over the weekend and by all accounts he did just that. Rivals.com Southeast regional analyst Woody Wommack rated Sousa as the sixth-best offensive recruit at the training camp.

"Sousa is the kind of wide receiver that quarterbacks love to play with because if the ball is anywhere in his vicinity he can find a way to haul it in. Saturday he showed great hands as well as an excellent ability to go up and get the ball. He also has a nice burst, allowing him to get separation down the field on deep balls," Wommack said.

Praise like that makes it easy to understand why Kentucky and others have offered. The Wildcats had plenty of success recruiting Florida with just two months to go prior to Signing Day, and receiver is one of the positions they did especially well with. Alex Montgomery and Jeff Badet were Sunshine State receivers that joined Kentucky late in the process.

Sousa told Cats Illustrated that he receives hand written letters daily from Tommy Mainord, Vince Marrow and others on the staff.

"They're telling me they want me to be a part of the BBN (Big Blue Nation)," Sousa said.

"Everything is wide open. I'll probably trip (to Kentucky) in April and June with coach Anthony Paradiso, my head football coach."

Paradiso will play a big role in Sousa's recruitment as the two have a close relationship.

What does Sousa think of playing in the SEC?

"It would be great to play in any conference that has a chance to play in a BCS bowl game," he said.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1487686
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Flooding Barker's mailbox just part of UK's pursuit

Justin Rowland

Both Kentucky and South Carolina have made it clear to Drew Barker that he's their number one priority at the quarterback position. This week the Wildcats took the back-and-forth to an entirely new level.

The timing couldn't have been better.

Barker, the nation's No. 153 overall prospect, had just returned from a weekend trip to South Carolina. When he opened the mailbox he was astounded at the amount of mail. And it was from one address.

Kentucky's coaches sent Barker 115 handwritten letters in one day. He announced his surprise on Twitter shortly after it happened.

"When I opened up the mailbox they were rubber-banded up but they started falling out," Barker said. "I was shocked. The first thing I said was, 'Holy crap.' It was just crazy. I've never seen anything like it. I saw a couple of years ago Alabama sent some dude 100 letters but for that to happen to me, it was crazy."

What does he plan on doing with all of that mail?

"I may not be able to get through them all tonight but I'm going to try to go through all of them. I'll have to get some extra hands to help me," Barker said with a laugh. "It's definitely going to be crazy. I save all my letters. I've got boxes downstairs and I save them no matter what. It's crazy. Every single coach on the staff sent me one and then coach (Mark) Stoops sent me about 10."

It was a unique way for Kentucky to take Barker's mind off South Carolina, at least momentarily. The four-star quarterback was in Columbia visiting the football program all weekend.

It wasn't his first time with the Gamecocks but the coaches once again made him feel right at home.

"It was awesome down there," he said. "I had been there so I had pretty much seen everything but this time I wanted to see what the players were like. A lot of people say they have a family atmosphere and I wanted to see what it was really like. I got to hang out with the players and it was definitely a family atmosphere. I also wanted to see practice to see how the coaches interact and all those kinds of things.

"The practice kind of had a laid back tempo. It's hard to explain but the coaches didn't make the players feel uptight. Everybody seemed loose. One player said he thought that's why they're so good. They're not sitting there beating up the players."

Barker will be at Tennessee during the first week in April and immediately after that he will return to Kentucky, not once but twice. He will be in Lexington on April 8 and April 10. That's the week of Conner's spring break so he's taking advantage of his down time.

"I'm gonna try to hang out with the players," he said. "I'm going to call Coach (Neal) Brown and get everything set up. I know they start really early with those morning practices and they want me down there for their meetings. They'll both be all day things."

Kentucky's offensive coordinator speaks with Barker two or three times per week, the quarterback said, and Brown's sincerity is what stands out to him.

He also offered his thoughts on the contrasting personalities and styles of the coaches at Kentucky and South Carolina.

"He's a really great guy," he said. "You can tell some of these guys will talk you up over the phone and you get there and it's like, 'This is not the person who recruited me.' He's definitely not like that at all."

"South Carolina's coaches have been there, done that. They've won 11 games the past three seasons. They're starting to have a winning tradition. At UK I feel like the coaches are young.

"They have that fire. They're trying to get the program turned around really bad. You can definitely sense the vibe that they're very energetic. I wouldn't say it's completely different but there is definitely a difference."

When asked whether he feels like one school has made it more clear than the other that he's a priority, Barker said he couldn't answer the question. Both schools have done a good job of making him feel wanted.

It's worth noting that Barker has stayed in some contact with some of the Ohio natives being recruited by UK that he met on previous trips to Lexington.

And it's also noteworthy that Barker hasn't narrowed his list to Kentucky and South Carolina. Tennessee will get a strong look and Barker said he could visit Ole Miss, Louisville and perhaps another school.

"I'm just hoping these visits I take in the next month really clear things up," he said. "They should make the decision a lot easier. Right now I couldn't tell you where I'm leaning. I'm just hoping when I get these visits done I'll find the right school."

Barker is still planning to announce his decision in late April or early May.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488140
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Fant optimistic that Kentucky will offer scholarship

Justin Rowland

Of all the in-state recruits that are on Kentucky's radar but don't have an offer, Nacarius Fant may be the most well-known. The Bowling Green receiver is optimistic his name will be in the offer column soon.

Cats Illustrated spoke with Fant last week and while he still doesn't have an offer from the Cats he's not too worried. It's still early and the coaches are giving him good vibes.

"I'll be heading to Kentucky's spring game," Fant told Cats Illustrated via text message this week. "I should be having an offer coming soon. They are coming to spring practice to watch me live pretty soon. I've been in contact with coach (Neal) Brown and receives coach (Tommy) Mainord. (Mainord is) a really good guy. I really like him."

The offense has been a positive working in UK's favor ever since Brown came to Lexington from Texas Tech. It's still a strong selling point as far as Fant is concerned.

"It's (a) really nice (offense), I just have to watch live at a practice or at the spring game I will," he said.

One question everyone has been asking: If Kentucky offers would Fant jump on board or wait it out?

"I would wait it out with all my choices and sit and think about it," Fant said.

Fant recently took a trip to Western Kentucky and said Bobby Petrino and his new staff have offered and are making it known that he is one of their top recruiting priorities.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488750
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky among four favorites for LB Miclisse

Justin Rowland

Kentucky still hasn't offered Palm Bay (Fla.) Bayside linebacker Greg Miclisse but that hasn't dampened his interest in the Wildcats. He knows Mark Stoops and his staff are just doing their homework and being thorough.

Miclisse's interest in Kentucky remains very high. His current list of favorites is a testament to that.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT...3A_200.JPG]

"Right now my favorites are Tennessee, Georgia, Kentucky and Notre Dame," Miclisse said. "No particular order. I like every college that's recruiting me but those are basically the four I'm most interested in because they're showing me the most love."

While Kentucky hasn't offered yet the staff has explained exactly where they stand in the evaluation process.

"I was talking to coach (Chad) Scott the running backs coach two nights ago. He told me the whole coaching staff loves me and talks about me all the time. They're coming down to see me in the spring and just trying to recruit me heavy," Miclisse said.

"I'm really just looking forward to seeing how they do this year on the football field. I really like the coaches at Kentucky. I've got a good relationship with all the coaches like coach Scott, coach (Derrick) Ansley, coach (D.J.) Eliot and coach Stoops. All the coaches are telling me they want me and I can't wait to see what they might have to offer."

Miclisse has been very open about his interest in Kentucky on Twitter. He told Cats Illustrated that he is likely to take an unofficial visit to the school during the summer when he doesn't have to worry about school or other commitments.

"If not this summer then (Kentucky) would definitely be one of my official visits," he said.

One reason Miclisse is so interested in Kentucky is the energy the new staff in Lexington has brought to the program and the recruiting trails. But UK isn't the only school with a new staff that has impressed Miclisse.

Tennessee has a new staff as well, and the Vols are high on his list. So does South Florida under new head coach Willie Taggart. Miclisse is scheduled to visit USF this week.

"I'll be taking a visit to USF this week and Tennessee soon," he said. "USF has been recruiting me pretty hard, especially with the new staff there. I think they have a great new staff coming in. I took a visit my sophomore year and they have great football facilities and a great fan base. I just want to see what they have to offer."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488951
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DeBerry draws impressive list of early offers

Justin Rowland

Richmond (Va.) St. Christopher's outside linebacker Ricky DeBerry is one of the nation's top Class of 2015 prospects. His offer list is evidence of that.

Most high school sophomore football players only dream about picking up a few offers one day. DeBerry already has an impressive offer sheet.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT...18_200.JPG]

The 6-foot-2, 230-pound linebacker's teammate, Garrett Taylor, picked up an offer from Kentucky earlier this year. Taylor is a sophomore as well.

DeBerry and Taylor have both been in contact with Kentucky assistant coach Derrick Ansley dating back to his days at Tennessee, so that has given the Wildcats an opportunity they might not have otherwise had with the sophomore phenoms.

Over the weekend DeBerry and his parents made the trip from Richmond to Lexington to visit Kentucky for the first time. They left just after midnight early Saturday morning and arrived around the time for breakfast after a lengthy drive.

"Once we got up there we watched practice and met some of the coaches," he said. "We met coach (Mark) Stoops and talked to coach Ansley. We toured the facility. Overall it was pretty good."

DeBerry didn't have an offer from Kentucky going into the trip but he did before he left.

"Coach Stoops said he really liked my size and they'll be recruiting me hard. He wanted me to get up there for the spring game and for a camp," he said. "I plan on going back. I don't know when yet, though. I know the spring game there is April 13 but I'll be doing a Rivals challenge that day."

DeBerry said his relationship with Ansley is one reason for his interest in the Wildcats.

"Coach Ansley and I have a great relationship," he said. "We had a good relationship when he was at Tennessee. He's a straight up guy who tells you like it is. You can talk to him about anything. We've got a great relationship."

The tempo and format of the practice is something else that stood out to DeBerry.

"Oh yeah, there's was no wasted time. Everything was so quick and so fast. Everything was here and then there. It was very high paced. They never really took any breaks," he explained. "It was great being able to actually see them practice. I hadn't gotten to see others practice besides UVa, so seeing them practice was a good thing to see. I liked how the coaches and players reacted to one another."

Clemson, Iowa, North Carolina, Penn State, Purdue, Tennessee, UVa and Virginia Tech are among the other schools that have offered DeBerry.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488956
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
E-town's Elam has five faves, including Kentucky

Justin Rowland

High school football fans in Elizabethtown haven't seen many players as talented as Matt Elam over the years. He's simply a rare talent at the high school level.

The 6-foot-6, 342-pound lineman looks like a man among boys at the high school level and that's why SEC schools are making him such a high priority.

Elam was recently awarded a three-star (5.7) ranking, making him arguably the second most highly-regarded prospect in the state after Drew Barker. And his offer list, which includes Kentucky, Louisville, Alabama and Western Kentucky, seems to verify that college coaches wouldn't argue with that assessment.

When Kentucky offered the common opinion seemed to be that the Wildcats were in good shape. But a trip to Tuscaloosa and an offer from Nick Saban was obvious cause for concern, from Kentucky's vantage point at least.

While Elam is open about his interest in UK and Alabama, it's not a two-horse race. He attended a Louisville practice late last week.

"It was real nice," Elam said. "I love going up there just [because of] the staff," he said. "And the practice was very high-paced and very intense."

Prior to that the most recent trip he took was to Tennessee. Elam will be at a Kentucky spring practice shortly, and he's planning to make a return trip to Alabama as well.

Neal Brown handles a lot of Kentucky's in-state recruiting and he has a good relationship with Elam.

"He's just telling me how I need to come back there and stay close to home," he said. "And this is the place to be."

It's an attractive pitch, Elam admits. But right now he's leaning towards making a late decision. That means he will have plenty of time to evaluate the schools he's considering. Right now there are five schools at the front of his mind: Kentucky, Louisville, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1489399
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Kentucky has a head start in recruiting LB Brown

Justin Rowland

It's probably safe to go ahead and call George Brown one of Ohio's top sophomores. The 6-foot-6, 253-pound lineman from Cincinnati (Ohio) Colerain is up to five offers with no sign of slowing down anytime soon.

One or two years from now, whenever Brown is ready to make his college decision known, Kentucky may be pleased they got involved so early with Brown. The Wildcats started a domino effect of sorts with Vanderbilt, Illinois, Cincinnati and Bowling Green following suit shortly after UK offered.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT...27_200.JPG]

The early offer convinced Brown to visit Lexington and become familiar with the program early. He's made sure to stay in regular contact with the staff.

"A few days ago I talked to coach Vince Marrow and I was just telling him that I'll be at Kentucky's spring game," Brown said.

He will be one of many Ohio prospects at that event. Speaking of his home state, linebacker Dorian Hendrix gave his commitment to the Wildcats over the weekend. Hendrix and Brown have come to know each other fairly well.

"I was pretty excited to hear about it," Brown said of Hendrix's decision. "When we went down to visit the first time it was me, Mikel Horton, Mike Edwards, Derek Kief and Dorian Henrix. That's the first time I met him."

But it's not just Kentucky that has Brown's attention. The Wildcats might have a special place in his heart but he's intent on hearing what everyone has to say.

Brown, who could play on the offensive or defensive line in college, was at Vanderbilt last weekend.

"They had a Super Saturday junior day kind of thing with a practice and a scrimmage," Brown said. "It was nice. I liked the practice and everything. They have good academics, too. I got to talk to the offensive line coach and the defensive line coach. One wants me to play offensive line and the other wants me to play defensive line. They don't know yet. I'm not really sure what (Kentucky) wants either."

The Colerain lineman is likely to receive a very high ranking whenever those come out but he will have to wait many months to find out just what his rating will be. In the meantime he's just learning what he can.

"I don't have a favorite yet," he said. "I'm just keeping everything open."

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1488966
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OL Taylor leaves UK with offer, better sense of program

Justin Rowland

Columbus (Ohio) Bishop Ready offensive tackle Brady Taylor took an unofficial visit to Kentucky on Thursday and the trip was well worth his time.

Prior to that visit Taylor had several offers but nothing from the BCS level. He left Lexington with an offer from the Wildcats.

[Image: http://vmedia.rivals.com/IMAGES/PROSPECT...30_200.JPG]

"I was very excited," Taylor said shortly after leaving Lexington. "The whole visit was pretty awesome. The coaching staff seems like they're moving them in the right direction with some of the commitments they have coming in. Out of everything I saw there was nothing not to like."

Taylor is a good student and an athletic lineman, which could make him an ideal fit for Kentucky's new Air Raid offense, and he appears to be putting questions about his weight to rest.

At Kentucky on Thursday he measured in at 6-foot-5 and 275 pounds.

While a big reason for the trip was to allow the coaches to size him up, Taylor also visited UK because he wanted to see what the school was all about. He arrived early enough in the morning to sit in on position meetings, which in his case was headed by John Schlarman, and he was with Vince Marrow, his lead recruiter, throughout the day as well.

"The staff seemed to be doing pretty well together," he said. "When we were walking around they were cracking jokes with each other. That's important to see. They seem to be high energy and that's what I look for in a coaching staff. They all have energy and they're very young. It also seems like they want to be together for a while.

"The campus was beautiful with all the buildings and everything. They kept joking with me about the girls that go there," he said with a laugh. "Coach Marrow's a pretty funny guy. We went towards the academic center, book store and basketball arena. It's all extremely nice."

Now that Taylor has an offer from Kentucky and has spent time at the school he knows he has a lot of interest in the Cats.

"It's very high," he said of his interest. "I would say they're probably my favorite school right now but I'll probably give it a little bit longer and just relax. I'm definitely considering them."

Michigan State and Penn State are showing interest in Taylor and he's also hearing from Michigan, Georgia Tech and Indiana, among others.

http://kentucky.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1489572
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
God Bless you buddy, good to have you back LeeCoUKFan!!! Definitely missed having your articles to read.
Upper Arlington, OH LB Chris Frey had high praise for UK & has them atop his list with NC State. If UK offered they would be alone atop his list. He wants to make an early decision. He plans to return for the spring game.
The Blue Blur Wrote:God Bless you buddy, good to have you back LeeCoUKFan!!! Definitely missed having your articles to read.

Well thank ya sir! Hopefully I won't have anymore absences from BGR and we can follow this recruiting class all the way to Signing Day with it hopefully ending as a Top 25 Class!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Although it's VERY early, Rivals has Kentucky ranked as of today with the 33rd overall recruiting class and 10th in the SEC ahead of Missouri, South Carolina, Auburn, and Mississippi State.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jacksonville, FL (Eagle's View Academy) 4* QB D.J. Gillins has now officially decommited from Texas Tech & says UK is his leader, but he doesn't have an offer, yet. It appears that the new staff at Texas Tech, may have pulled his offer. Gillins has offers from FIU, UMASS, UNC, Troy, Vandy, & WVU. He also has interest from Florida State, UK, South Carolina, & the aforementioned Texas Tech. Seems to be wanting to build off his previous relationship with Neal Brown.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...ins-126333
It's been a little while since we've had one of these lengthy updates that takes a look at the big picture but that's what we're doing right now. Let's get right to it.

Where & who UK is recruiting

Sources are indicating that Kentucky plans to take a big haul in this recruiting cycle. There will be some attrition and this class will be very important when it comes to filling out the roster and, hopefully, transforming the make-up into more of a legit SEC squad.

How many will UK take at each position?

(1) Quarterback
(2) Running Backs
(3) Wide Receivers
(1-2) Tight Ends
(5) Offensive Linemen
(4) Defensive Backs**

I haven't heard concrete numbers on the other positions (DE, DT, LB), but the above numbers account for 16-17 spots. Assuming Kentucky finds a way to take close to a full class, as I ultimately believe they may be able to do, that would mean probably four defensive linemen and four linebackers. With Denzel Ware and Dorian Hendrix already on board, I'm guessing UK looks to take three more at each position.

**It's worth noting that this staff views safety and cornerback prospects almost interchangeably. Guys like Mike Edwards, Darius West, Nick Glass, etc., are all able to play either position, so they're looking for the best available players.

Where are these guys going to be coming from? Here's what someone told me recently:

"You want to get the three or four best guys from Kentucky and there's your base, the core of your class. Then hopefully you get seven or eight from Ohio, a couple from Georgia, a couple from Florida, and you're on your way to filling it out."

That's the road map, folks. And while it might not hold true every year, it's probably a pretty good rough sketch of how things will play out.

I have been told that Kentucky is in hot pursuit of "about 50" prospects, and they're hoping to sign "about 20." You've got to be careful, do darn well and get it right, because that 50 can dwindle in a hurry and you can find yourself in a heap of trouble.

=================

In-state recruiting notes

Having spoken with a few sources, I would not be shocked if Kentucky is very stingy with in-state offers in this class. Currently, three Kentucky recruits have offers from the Wildcats: Drew Barker, Matt Elam and Reggie Bonnafon. There are a select few others still under consideration, e.g. Nacarius Fant, R.J. Taylor, etc., but it's a select few and the staff seems to have soberly assessed the situation: Most of the guys in the state just aren't quite explosive enough to be a part of an SEC depth chart.

Let's take a quick look at the latest on a couple of in-state guys.

Barker and I have exchanged texts quite often of late and he will be at Tennessee next weekend, Kentucky April 8 and then April 10, and then South Carolina the weekend of April 13. It's possible he could take trips after that, but it looks to me like that's going to be his final three, ultimately. I go back and forth in terms of my confidence with Barker, and today I feel better about UK's chances than I had over the past week or two.

One source told me this recently: "[Kentucky] feels pretty good about him ... If [they] don't get him, [they] just weren't going to. [They've] done everything they can do."

Kentucky can't sell Barker on a history of double-digit win campaigns or an SEC title next year. But they can sell him on throwing to guys like Ryan Timmons, Thaddeus Snodgrass (in all likelihood) and a talented array of skill position players. The staff is making the case that all the pieces will be in place for Barker to have a long and prosperous career as the starting quarterback in Lexington, and as of today, I believe it's a pitch that's resonating in a big way.

Drew Barker is Kentucky's No. 1 target. Period. Regardless of position. If he commits, he's the only QB the Cats take. He knows this. He's the kind of guy that does his research independently, which is why he was a bit concerned when there were rumors that Kentucky had offered another quarterback. But I have it from good authority that the issue was resolved and will not hurt UK's chances. On top of that, I know that Barker is following UK's recruiting efforts very closely on a daily and weekly basis. That's a very good sign.

Kentucky is very confident they could get DeShone Kizer to visit, almost immediately, if they moved on from Barker. But they aren't, and there are good reasons for that.

On to Matt Elam ... someone floated a rumor to me recently that Elam loves Charlie Strong and is leaning to Louisville. I don't buy that. I think Kentucky is the most likely landing spot, followed by Alabama, then Louisville and Tennessee/Florida after that. Two separate sources have indicated that Elam's "personality" is more likely to help Kentucky than Alabama. He's a quieter kid, not super 'on edge,' and is probably a better fit in the UK program than in the pressure cooker that is Tuscaloosa - where the fans and the coaches make things a bit wilder.

I'm not sure, at this point, that Fant is going to get an offer. In fact, were I do make a guess today I would be inclined to say no.

=================

Notes on Ohio recruits

Kentucky feels very good about that talented 'core' of top Ohio prospects that know one another very well: Thaddeus Snodgrass, Derek Kief, Mike Edwards, Darius West, etc.

Snodgrass is likely to announce sooner rather than later and I'm starting to hear some good information on the details, but just not a good time to shed light on it. Kief is at Ohio State this weekend, one week after visiting Alabama, and then it's on to Kentucky.

Edwards probably has Kentucky at the top of his list, followed by Louisville and perhaps Nebraska, and he told me today he's still planning to narrow his list "in the next couple of weeks," as he's been telling me and Josh Helmholdt for a few weeks already. And Darius West is, frankly, staying more open-minded than I imagined he would, but UK is still in good shape.

The tight ends, Ethan Wolf and Darryl Long, are guys UK feels good about, and with good reason. Wolf visits in a couple of days and Long is likely to attend the Wildcats' spring game. However, it's a total dogfight between UK and Louisville for the top spot on Long's list. After those two I would put North Carolina; the Heels offered recently. He's targeting a summer decision and I could not tell you whether he's leaning to Kentucky or Louisville. I think he has a great bond with the guys at UK, but he's enamored with where UofL is "right now."

As sources indicated late last week, and as we first reported here at Cats Illustrated, Brady Taylor has emerged as a huge target for UK. I'm now hearing Michigan State will probably offer very soon. But I still think UK will be in pretty good shape. Vince Marrow has a good relationship with Taylor's family and I've learned never to bet against "Mr. Ohio."

Kentucky's recruiting efforts on the offensive line are heavily concentrated in Ohio. There are guys elsewhere; Bookser in PA, Wynn and Brown in FL, etc., but Ohio is a great state for OL talent and it's right in Kentucky's backyard. The offer list reflects that. And as I mentioned, expect UK to try and get five linemen. Barker is watching UK's recruiting efforts along the line very closely.

Note: I'm hearing that Cincinnati (Ohio) Mariemont lineman Jon Bezney has an offer from Kentucky and has emerged as another top target in the trenches.

==============

Notes on Visitors/Strategy

Kentucky is a school that will get plenty of frequent unofficial visitors from Ohio, but it's not centrally located enough to attract a lot of guys from Florida, Georgia, Alabama, etc., before official visit season. For that reason, the staff's strategy is to hang around and make the top five, and hopefully get an official visit late in the process. That's the hope with guys like Bryson Allen-Williams (who Bradley Dale Peveto is in good contact with), Raekwon McMillan (contact has been more sporadic with him, as it is with all the top, top guys), Blake Bone (who Mainord is working hard and effectively), Jarvis Stewart (currently committed to USF), etc.

Kentucky is trying to get Justin Jackson and Eric Shute in for visits but has been unsuccessful to date.

Speaking of visitors, I confirmed today that Chris Frey is a good-looking linebacker that the Cats like, probably a little more than Airius Moore. Neither has an offer. You don't want to offer until you are absolutely sure you want these three-star types. And this staff is very confident in their ability to seal the deal while a kid is on campus. They're just personable, energetic guys that bring guys into their comfort zone and make them feel right at home. Make no mistake about it: Frey would love to be a Wildcat, and he's another solid (5.6, three-star) LB. Always nice to know you've got that option.

Also, it's worth noting that Dante Sawyer's high school coach - who coached Lexington Catholic for many years - was at Kentucky just yesterday. The Cats are in Sawyer's top five and they're hoping to "hang around."

E.J. Moss, from Alabama, also reportedly tripped to UK recently, and I'm hearing Kentucky feels good about their chances.
Guys to watch ...

Watch out for some of these guys as I believe Kentucky is evaluating them closely.

WR/TE Garrett Gray from Texas. A 6-5, 205-pound basketball/football player with 80+ catches for 1,200+ yards last year.
TE Milan Richard - Another big "national" TE recruit Kentucky wants to make a play for.
LB Demetrius Colbert - Colerain in Ohio.
TE/LB Jake Knight from Rocky Mountain HS in Meridian (Idaho). Versatile, utility guy.
DL Adam Torres from Lake Mary (FL).
DL Tyree Owens from Oviedo (FL), 6'4, 240.

===============

Couple of final notes

Running out of steam here guys so I'll be brief. Denzel Ware ... there's a long way to go but I think UK has a better shot at holding onto him than some think. It's unlikely Tavise Stoudemire will get an offer.

And finally, Nick Glass is a guy I now feel UK has a much better shot with than I previously did.
The Blue Blur Wrote:Jacksonville, FL (Eagle's View Academy) 4* QB D.J. Gillins has now officially decommited from Texas Tech & says UK is his leader, but he doesn't have an offer, yet. It appears that the new staff at Texas Tech, may have pulled his offer. Gillins has offers from FIU, UMASS, UNC, Troy, Vandy, & WVU. He also has interest from Florida State, UK, South Carolina, & the aforementioned Texas Tech. Seems to be wanting to build off his previous relationship with Neal Brown.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...ins-126333

Sources have said that he has proclaimed he has an offer, others say he's had an offer since December but Justin Rowland of Rivals.com is adamant that he doesn't & that the only QB with a committable offer is Drew Barker.
Quote:@JIMMY1BAYES Just got offered by kentucky.........

This is a tweet from Jimmy Bayes, a 4* Athlete from Immokolee, Florida who is commited to USF. According to his tweet, Kentucky has offered him.

He is listed as an "Athlete" on Rivals and no position? Found that kinda odd. He also holds offers from Vandy, Rutgers, Missouri, West Virginia, and Connecticut.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...yes-145155
[Image:

]
The Blue Blur Wrote:Sources have said that he has proclaimed he has an offer, others say he's had an offer since December but Justin Rowland of Rivals.com is adamant that he doesn't & that the only QB with a committable offer is Drew Barker.
I know... did you see back-and-forth between @RowlandRIVALS and @RecruitKentucky? I thought we were going to have to call for an intervention...
Blue Chrome Wrote:I know... did you see back-and-forth between @RowlandRIVALS and @RecruitKentucky? I thought we were going to have to call for an intervention...

Yes I did, & as far as an intervention. I do not have a twitter account. I guess you could call me a twitter stalker. However, I stand by Rowland & his view point. Justin appears to have good sources & talks with the kids often but I do believe his sources back up what the kids are saying or if the information is wrong, he at least finds out & corrects. IDK recruit Kentucky but he may relay quality info but like I said I'm 100% sure Rowland is on top of it to debunk it or confirm it rather than just let it fly. I also think Justin was right in what he said as the info could deter Barker's decision & we don't need that. Barker is an in state kid, & anyone who has followed anything I've posted about recruiting you must keep the top kids in state.
Just spoke with a good source that has a unique take on the prime Ohio targets; he's known them a lot longer than I have. Independently verified with good UK sources that there seems to be something to this, though the details are not worked out yet.

Have heard that Darius West, Darryl Long and maybe even DeShone Kizer want to visit Kentucky this weekend (if not this weekend then very soon).

This source told me he spoke with someone very close to these guys and asked, "Is there any other school that could get involved and sway them from Kentucky?"

The answer was no.

Here's where this gets interesting.

I had been hearing that West and Long were likely UK leans, but this is much 'firmer' than what I had been hearing. In fact, I thought Louisville and UK were pretty even for Long. But according to this source, UK is very strong. In fact, this source said that while those guys might not commit while they're at UK, it could well be shortly after.

On Kizer ... I have confirmed with sources close to UK that they are interested but again, this is not just blowing smoke, UK has not offered a quarterback other than Drew Barker. In fact, after the Twitter mess the other day the topic was brought up between Gillins and UK, and he was informed that he does not have an offer from Kentucky.

Now, UK has told Barker that they have to cover their bases. There are guys like Kizer, Gillins, Kincade, Harris, etc., that they have to talk with to protect themselves. As we've said, Barker is visiting UK on April 8 and 10. Kentucky is working hard to try and convince Barker to go to the UK spring game instead of South Carolina. If that happens you can pretty much guess where he's going.

I still think UK leads for Barker. UK thinks they lead for him. It's not done, but it looks good.
Jack Lambert Wrote:Blur I check daily for your updates thanks for all you do. :Thumbs:

Didn't mean to scare you Blur on the the man crush but just like Jack said I'm checking daily (sometimes) but I follow your info on recruiting cause its the best on the site man. Thanks for all of it.
Florida site saying they lead for Denzel Ware (4-star UK commit):
http://www.gatorcountry.com/football_rec...ware/16957
Quote:...UK has not offered a quarterback other than Drew Barker. In fact, after the Twitter mess the other day the topic was brought up between Gillins and UK, and he was informed that he does not have an offer from Kentucky

They need to have that talk with Tyler Harris too then, because he tweeted out March 20th that he was offered by Kentucky. It could be that UK is telling these guys that if Barker commits elsewhere then they have an offer.
UK target & FL WR Kendrick Holland, had successful shoulder surgery & recovery time is 3 months. UK still leads for this kid as they have for months.

Suwanee, GA (Peachtree Ridge) 4* DB & Georgia commit Nick Glass will take an extended visit to UK next week from Wednesday through Saturday.

UK has offered 4* RB Jeff Jones from Minneapolis, MN (Washburn), who is a Minnesota commit. He also has offers from Illinois, Iowa, Iowa State, Michigan State, Syracuse, & Wisconsin. He's also gotten interest from Alabama, Boise State, Louisville, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Oregon, Penn State, Tennessee, & UCLA.

Georgia 4* DE Dante Sawyer announced his Top 5 in order 1. Alabama 2. Georgia 3. Tennessee 4. Auburn 5. UK. Obviously he will be a SEC guy.

Pitt RB Rushel Shell will transfer. It's premature but UK may via for this guy. He was a 4* coming out of high school Aliquippa, PA & chose to stay close to home because he had a baby. If anything I'd imagine & hope he's moving closer to his child. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/minnesota/footba...nes-134369

UK target from Olney, MD (Our Lady of Good Counsel) 3* DB Kobie Walker was named as one of the top performers at the 5UP Baltimore Showcase Tournament. 5UP is a 5 on 5 passing tournament.

UK target & kinfolk of Chad Scott, Tampa FL (Tampa Catholic) ATH T.J. Harrell visited Georgia over the weekend & said the visit went "Terrific". The Bulldogs are now his leader. He was originally being recruited there but they have changed the tides to him playing DB as UK has been recruiting him as. He said he didn't mind he just wanted to play football at the next level.

Recent vistor & offeree Columbus, OH (Bishop Ready) Brady Taylor recently had a good performance at a Nike Training Camp & has gotten interest from Notre Dame. His two favorite schools growing up were Ohio State & Notre Dame. UK has made Taylor a top priority for their 2014 offensive line needs.

WR Thaddeus Snodgrass, DB Darius West, TE Darryl Long, OL Jarrett LaRubbio, OL Marcelys Jones, & Brady Taylor are on UK's "Watch List" as it's expected the next commitment will come from those 6.

Also with the latest buzz of UK offering other QB's, there is conflicting info out about Drew Barker. This coming from some of the other UK recruits that Barker is "plugged in" with do not expect Barker to commit to UK. I think it's namely coming from 4* WR's Blake Bone & Braxton Berrios, who are both from the Carolinas & South Carolina is heavily involved in their recruitment as well as being connected with Barker. Barker is expected to visit UK on April 8th & 10th before heading out to South Carolina's spring game on the 13th before making a commitment. However, UK's staff is trying to sway him to be in Lexington on the 13th for their spring game & what his does on that date may be a telling story of his intentions.

TE Ethan Wolf was unable to make his planned visit to UK yesterday, for logistical reasons but a later visit is likely. Such as the spring game.

3* Ohio LB Chris Frey is one of UK's top targets at the position but hasn't received an offer yet. He has raved about his recent visit & has said he is set to graduate in December meaning he would be on campus early.

Marietta, GA MLB Ty Tomlin is to visit UK this weekend. He has an offer from UK as well as Minnesota, Missouri, UNC, NC State, Ole Miss & Tennessee.
Blue Chrome Wrote:Florida site saying they lead for Denzel Ware (4-star UK commit):
http://www.gatorcountry.com/football_rec...ware/16957

Yeah he visited with the Gators about 2 days after stating he was solid with the Wildcats & would likely sign early. Then this came out while on his visit.

Also my previous post IDK why it posted the link to Jones' profile under what I had typed about Shell. Also on Shell, the reason I knew about his kid was ESPN had a special on him when he was making his college decision & it seemed his kid had a huge bearing on that decision.

Well while I'm at it a couple of other news blips to sleep on.

Conner 4* QB Drew Barker has set a date to announce with his parents & coaches. That date will be very soon, so not much longer & all indications are for the Wildcats.

UK offered 3* WR Travis Rudolph from West Palm Beach, FL (Cardinal Newman) after being he being named one of the Top Offensive Performers at the Rivals Camp Series in Miami. He has a solid chance to be a solid prospect & his head coach is former Miami(FL) & NFL journeyman QB Steve Walsh. Walsh feels Rudolph has a great understanding of the game & scored 17 TD's as a junior despite missing time due to injury. Rudolph also has offers from Alabama, Auburn, Florida, FAU, FIU, Florida State, Georgia, Louisville, Marshall, Miami(FL), UNC, USF, Tennessee, Vandy, Wake Forest, WVU, & Wisconsin.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/re...lph-131855

UK target Cincinnati Winton Woods DB Mike Edwards is visiting Louisville tomorrow.
2015 star RB Damien Harris from Madison Southern is at UK's practice today.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next