•  Previous
  • 27(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
walterwhite Wrote:I agree 100% on the basketball aspect. I can't recall every school having football in the same year. You would never see a school decide not to play basketball, even if it was a "BTeam". It seemed like some would suddenly decide to field a team when, oddly enough, they had a good group of upper graders. Then, just as suddenly, there wouldn't be enough to field a team, coincidently right after the good group moved on. There was no interest in fielding a "B Team" until they had enough to play varsity. That's why I thought middle school "could" have helped. I see your point clearly, more kids playing the better off you are. I think the middle school could still accomplish that. Play LOTS of people, and don't move players up. Hey, even have 2 teams per grade level. As always it's good to discuss things with you, my friend.

I like the idea of two teams in each grade in middle school. I've wondered if each grade had 25 players, why not have 11 play defense and 11 play offense? Let the coach split em up in a way that gives him the best chance to win. Would it hurt to make that mandatory?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I like the idea of two teams in each grade in middle school. I've wondered if each grade had 25 players, why not have 11 play defense and 11 play offense? Let the coach split em up in a way that gives him the best chance to win. Would it hurt to make that mandatory?

We all want to win, me included. In fact, I'll admit that I hate to lose at any level. I do think winning breeds winning. That being said I still think the middle school could be very competitive and still get lots of people involved. Are we playing for middle school glory or to build a strong high school program? Football has so many different positions and aspects of the game that it should provide the perfect opportunity to play lots of people, certainly at the middle school level.Special teams, special situations, special packages such as goal line d, "hands" team, etc all offer playing time.As for two teams for each grade, at the start you might not have enough people to field two teams per grade level, but if you play lots of people and make it be known that you would like to field two teams later, you just might get something positive going.
It sure would be nice to field two teams, but its never going to happen. The only way thats going to happen is to have two seperate middle schools in this county and we simply dont have the students to even discuss that. But I sure would all for allowing more players to play the game. I read on here about football being a contact sport and I certainly agree, but lining up 14/15 year olds to play against 18/19 year olds does not make someone tough, but it sure is a fine way to discourage your young players who still need time to mature both mentally and physically. What we need is a reason for our underclassmen to continue to play the game. That reason should be to compete at thier own level against competitors thier own age in some sort of conference. If there is not such a venue for these kids then we need to do our best to start one. They need to play 10-12 games just like the varsity. They need to learn to kick it, throw it, tackle, run, block and the rest of the fundamentals of the game. You guys may disagree and thats fine, I just think our younger guys need time to develop before throwing them in to sink or swim. And before it is said let me also throw a dsclaimer at you. There are a few kids who are ready for varsity action. I watched all six of the state championship games and there were some freshmen and sophomores playing. I get it. But those players are few and far between and most likely have been held back once in their younger days.
bossman313 Wrote:It sure would be nice to field two teams, but its never going to happen. The only way thats going to happen is to have two seperate middle schools in this county and we simply dont have the students to even discuss that. But I sure would all for allowing more players to play the game. I read on here about football being a contact sport and I certainly agree, but lining up 14/15 year olds to play against 18/19 year olds does not make someone tough, but it sure is a fine way to discourage your young players who still need time to mature both mentally and physically. What we need is a reason for our underclassmen to continue to play the game. That reason should be to compete at thier own level against competitors thier own age in some sort of conference. If there is not such a venue for these kids then we need to do our best to start one. They need to play 10-12 games just like the varsity. They need to learn to kick it, throw it, tackle, run, block and the rest of the fundamentals of the game. You guys may disagree and thats fine, I just think our younger guys need time to develop before throwing them in to sink or swim. And before it is said let me also throw a dsclaimer at you. There are a few kids who are ready for varsity action. I watched all six of the state championship games and there were some freshmen and sophomores playing. I get it. But those players are few and far between and most likely have been held back once in their younger days.

I agree with your ideas about the younger players. I am curious as to why there couldn't be two teams, if there were numbers. Sure, it would mean dividing the players up, but that's the whole point. Get more playing. I understand there'd be a need for coaches, but you could practice together. All drill work together, then run your special teams by unit. Offense divided by teams as well as defense, and when you go live, built in scrimmaging. Win win situation. It could work with numbers, and the right attitudes from all concerned.
The two team concept and the offense-defense players in middle school would indeed be tough to pull off, but doable. You can play a thousand players in the grade school ranks, if you only end up playing 14 eighth graders, what good does it do?

Speaking of special teams/kicking, whoever is "in charge" (which should be the HS head coach) of the middle school should make it a rule that going for two after a touchdown should only be allowed when it's to tie or win a game, all other instances there should be a kid kicking PATs. At the very least the high school gets a freshman EVERY YEAR that has kicked an extra point or field goal.

I thought the grade school kick rule that Stepp put in when he was here was a good one. Run it in, get one point, kick an extra point, get two points. For some reason they stopped that this year???
SKINNYPIG Wrote:The two team concept and the offense-defense players in middle school would indeed be tough to pull off, but doable. You can play a thousand players in the grade school ranks, if you only end up playing 14 eighth graders, what good does it do?

Speaking of special teams/kicking, whoever is "in charge" (which should be the HS head coach) of the middle school should make it a rule that going for two after a touchdown should only be allowed when it's to tie or win a game, all other instances there should be a kid kicking PATs. At the very least the high school gets a freshman EVERY YEAR that has kicked an extra point or field goal.

I thought the grade school kick rule that Stepp put in when he was here was a good one. Run it in, get one point, kick an extra point, get two points. For some reason they stopped that this year???

Special teams, in particular PATS, have cost many a team wins. I agree completly about the kicking game. It also provides other opportunities for playing time. A kid might not be a top running back prospect, or a hard hitting linebacker, but he might be able to kick the crap outta the ball.
That was a good rule. (kick 2 & run 1)...I didnt know they changed that rule, but they should bring it back. When is the last time we had a really good kicker? I know we have had a couple who were decent, but Im talking about a really dependable punter and place kicker. Our special teams dont seem to catch punts and our kick offs are well short of what you should expect from a high school team. And every point after try is a cross your fingers deal. I believe if I had a kid in grade school Id send him to every single kicking camp there was. I like the idea of two teams at the middle school level but you know there is this litle thing called jealousy that comes into play. "My kid wants to play on that other team" and "who selected these teams anyway". But I'm all for getting more kids to play no matter how its done. But it all boils down to wanting to win and coaches will only play kids who they think gives them the best chance of winning, no matter if it forces some kids to quit. As far as the head football coach at CCHS ever telling the CCMS coaches how to run their program, I think thats out unless the superintendent gives the head coach the authority to choose who the middle coaches are going to be. Just my opinion.
You can surely bet that almost every HS football team that has a winning tradition will have a feeder program that mirrors it. Somebody is in charge of that situation too, and I bet it ain't the middle school coach. It's what makes a PROGRAM...somebody has to be in charge.
I like the idea of two teams at the middle school level but you know there is this litle thing called jealousy that comes into play. "My kid wants to play on that other team" and "who selected these teams anyway".

And unless those attitudes change you won't have much of a program at any level. As I said earlier, with the "right attitudes" from all concerned.
You got that right WW. Its a shame we cant just support our kids and our teams without stressing over who deserves to be Mr Football, Ms basketball or Mr basketball. But we do. Its easy to blame the refs after a loss. We need to take a big, deep, long look in the mirror. And I agree SP that "someone" does need to be in charge. Any head high school football coach would probably want the assignment. One step at a time. Heck we dont even have a coach yet. Id think this would be a great place to start rebuilding.
bossman313 Wrote:Well Ive been reading these posts for two months now and I think they need to get on with it no matter who they choose. I would like to give my personal thoughts on this matter. I do not have a problem with hiring a proven coach from outside our district providing they understand the nature of our problems and have a valid plan to solve the issues we have. My guess is there is not an "outside" guy who will stick around long enough to help us build the type of program we want. (I may be wrong)...Our lack of a consistent program starts at the eementary level. Last year we had two schools who did not even field a team and another that had to play 4th graders just to have enough to say they fielded a team. Thats a problem gentlemen. And it only gets worse as these kids get older. Out of the 20 eight graders who played last year we will be lucky to get 10-12 out for the team as freshmen and of that group only a handful will play all four years. This must change if we want to build a successful program. I honestly dont see how an out-of-towner will change this? We need total community involvement. We need the QB Club to get more involved. We need a staff who understands our issues and make it a priority to change them. We need an elementary sports group get together and see what options we can come up with to fix our program. We need our middle school to get their numbers up. If transportation is the issue then lets get them a ride home. Our problems can be solved by us. Why do we think we need someone from Bell, Laurel, Whitley, Knox, Leslie, Magoffin or Breathitt county to come in here and be our savior. This is OUR problem and we should be men enough to fix it...

I am going to put forth this from experience this comment and then it's going to be Arrivederci Roma for me - because I don't have a dog in this fight other than hoping CC can build a good program for this area.

What you need is a youngish type Coach, that can catch your area 'on fire for football'. A good HS program is built from the bottom up. Fall youth sports will happen in your community with or without a good HS coach. They and they alone usually have the power to take away, or drive away, your best future players. They have the power to brainwash your future players into believing that they have no hope of defeating opponents. Or, with the RIGHT Coach you can get some thoughtful effort from the right coaches part, they can serve as an excellent recruiting and training mechanism for your whole program & build it from the youth league on up.

Think about it this way: Youth tackle veterans are about two years ahead of their rookie peers when they get to high school. A good youth feeder program can inculcate confidence, love of the game, teach kids the rules and rhythms of football, get rookies over their fear of hitting, and deliver seasoned veterans who can lead by example on your freshman and J.V. teams. The choice is tuff to find the right Coach that can set a program on fire to BUILD a GREAT program!! Good luck to you in finding that fire builder for your program!! Confusedinglepar
Lots of great points here.

It's interesting that some have mentioned the Middle School program being more of a hinderance than does good. Highlands obviously never bought into the one middle school team belief.

I don't know if any of you know people in Lincoln County or not, but some there will tell you that their middle school program has done more harm than good over the years. Why? Back in the 80's and up through the mid-late 90's, Lincoln County was hell on wheels..as much as a very rural, county school could be anyway. Up until the mid 90's, all of the small communities out in the county had schools that went K-8 (I want to say 6-7 total elementary schools), each of those schools has 1st/2nd all the way through their own 7th/8th teams. The result? You had freshmen classes rolling in 30-40 kids deep.

..now, enter the creating of Lincoln County Middle School and away goes the 6 or so MS teams throughout the county and in comes just ONE 7th and 8th grade team. I think Lincoln's Middle School came along in 94-95...outside of their 2007 season with Larry French, go back and look at their success since the 2000's came about. Compare it to that of the 80's and 90's and it's not even in the same ball park.

If I'm the next Clay County coach, I don't know how realistic it is doing away with the middle school program in terms of one team, but I'd sure look into seeing if you had 50-60 7th and 8th graders interested in playing, and if so....split those jokers up into 12-15 kids per team and rotate playing amongst your 4 'in house' teams & go play a couple of games outside of Clay County.

If not, keep the one 7th and 8th grade teams. No problem. BUT...two platoon come hell or high water and roll with it. Have kids practice both sides of the ball, heck maybe they flip flop sides every other game. Whatever you do...get 22 starters per grade level. 44 different kids starting in your middle school program; and, that's just the starters.

Attrition is going to happen...kids will eventually quit playing football just like they always have, that's fine. It's not for everybody. Just like running track wasn't exactly my ideal of fun, but if kids are going to quit let it be when they are sophomores, juniors, seniors..not when they are 6-14 years old.

As far as seniors on the team, I'm of the belief that you only need 10-12 max...at the MAX and that's if they can all play. If you have more seniors on the team than positions, and half or more of those aren't playing...it usually does more damage than good because of them not playing, running to Momma and Daddy, being locker room issues, etc.

Just my two cents.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Lots of great points here.

It's interesting that some have mentioned the Middle School program being more of a hinderance than does good. Highlands obviously never bought into the one middle school team belief.

I don't know if any of you know people in Lincoln County or not, but some there will tell you that their middle school program has done more harm than good over the years. Why? Back in the 80's and up through the mid-late 90's, Lincoln County was hell on wheels..as much as a very rural, county school could be anyway. Up until the mid 90's, all of the small communities out in the county had schools that went K-8 (I want to say 6-7 total elementary schools), each of those schools has 1st/2nd all the way through their own 7th/8th teams. The result? You had freshmen classes rolling in 30-40 kids deep.

..now, enter the creating of Lincoln County Middle School and away goes the 6 or so MS teams throughout the county and in comes just ONE 7th and 8th grade team. I think Lincoln's Middle School came along in 94-95...outside of their 2007 season with Larry French, go back and look at their success since the 2000's came about. Compare it to that of the 80's and 90's and it's not even in the same ball park.

If I'm the next Clay County coach, I don't know how realistic it is doing away with the middle school program in terms of one team, but I'd sure look into seeing if you had 50-60 7th and 8th graders interested in playing, and if so....split those jokers up into 12-15 kids per team and rotate playing amongst your 4 'in house' teams & go play a couple of games outside of Clay County.

If not, keep the one 7th and 8th grade teams. No problem. BUT...two platoon come hell or high water and roll with it. Have kids practice both sides of the ball, heck maybe they flip flop sides every other game. Whatever you do...get 22 starters per grade level. 44 different kids starting in your middle school program; and, that's just the starters.

Attrition is going to happen...kids will eventually quit playing football just like they always have, that's fine. It's not for everybody. Just like running track wasn't exactly my ideal of fun, but if kids are going to quit let it be when they are sophomores, juniors, seniors..not when they are 6-14 years old.

As far as seniors on the team, I'm of the belief that you only need 10-12 max...at the MAX and that's if they can all play. If you have more seniors on the team than positions, and half or more of those aren't playing...it usually does more damage than good because of them not playing, running to Momma and Daddy, being locker room issues, etc.

Just my two cents.

:Thumbs:
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:Lots of great points here.

Just my two cents.

Great post. Losing elementary football should NOT devastate the high school program, if the middle school does things that will be beneficial to building the high school program. One thing that most have stated is the high school coach should have control over the middle school program. We shall see.
How many schools in Eastern Kentucky have more than one middle school?
I think Fly Like A Duck should be head coach!! Two assistants off the top of my head, SKINNYPIG and walterwhite!

Wink

I will be the cheerleader!
Platoon in middle school and alternate your platoons from offense to defense each game. Don't worry about wins. Player development and keeping kids out should be paramount.
I hear there is a new name in the hat that they are studying on... And he is a Hilton, John Dudley.... He knows the game, could live in his mom and dad's house in bell.... Wheels are turnin!
bossman313 Wrote:That was a good rule. (kick 2 & run 1)...I didnt know they changed that rule, but they should bring it back. When is the last time we had a really good kicker? I know we have had a couple who were decent, but Im talking about a really dependable punter and place kicker. Our special teams dont seem to catch punts and our kick offs are well short of what you should expect from a high school team. And every point after try is a cross your fingers deal. I believe if I had a kid in grade school Id send him to every single kicking camp there was. I like the idea of two teams at the middle school level but you know there is this litle thing called jealousy that comes into play. "My kid wants to play on that other team" and "who selected these teams anyway". But I'm all for getting more kids to play no matter how its done. But it all boils down to wanting to win and coaches will only play kids who they think gives them the best chance of winning, no matter if it forces some kids to quit. As far as the head football coach at CCHS ever telling the CCMS coaches how to run their program, I think thats out unless the superintendent gives the head coach the authority to choose who the middle coaches are going to be. Just my opinion.

The kickers that come to my mind are Phillip Mobley and Russ Farmer. When thinking of kickoffs, Sam and Kevin Davidson come to mind. Im sure there may be a few more my old rump can't think of right now.

What's interesting about this is...one thing goes along with these kickers I remember, WINNING!
To me its very simple to get success at Clay County.

1. Have two 8th grade teams and two 7th grade teams (Team A and Team B for both classes) This would allow more kids to play and fall in love with the sport. Even though I love to win, it really doesn't matter for the overall picture.

2. Make freshman and JV a priority. This hasn't been the case for many years. I use to beg the coaches to be in a conference but the powers at be did not want to be. I understand that many times these young players need to be hitting dummies for the Varsity because of the low numbers but that only hurts you later on. Make these young players know they are special!!

3. Play simple football but do it Right!!! run the football and play great defense. Also, we have to put time and effort into our special teams. Clay County has always been a joke on special teams. ITS a THIRD OF THE GAME!!!!!

4. we need good quality grade school coaches. we have a few but some our outright JOKES!!!

5. Quality Assistant coaches. You need people around you who you can trust and put the time into it. The salary is 8000 and I think they have about 4 or 5 assistant stipends of 3000. Trust me.... People in Clay are not going to sit back and allow someone from outside the county to bring their people in and give them jobs while we have our on young people who have the education to be jobless. The new coach will have to work with assistant coaches from Clay. Would someone outside the County want that? If i were the coach I would put all the money in a hat and divide it up among all the coaches. Everyone suffers for this game.. Everyone gets paid the same.

6. Encourage your players to play multiple sports!

7. Have a IN-school weight lifting class. if they get their lifting done at school.... Encourage them to go out and get jobs. I'm sure many of these young men see laziness at home but change their minds about that.

8. We have to have our coaches at the School!! how can we lead this young men if we do not work there?? Be seen! Grade checks! Let these students especially the young men know YOU CARE!!

9. KILL philosophy = Keep it Likeable and learn able and the KISS philosophy = Keep it Simple Stupid.

10. Up-date the weight room for all the team sports!

In my humble opinion and you know what they say about opinions is your recipe for success at Clay County.
E's Army Wrote:Platoon in middle school and alternate your platoons from offense to defense each game. Don't worry about wins. Player development and keeping kids out should be paramount.

if you do that you are going to get your backs hurt! you better have good oline or you talk about running kids off. they get beat up in middle school they will say the crap with this stuff. you cant always play everybody IMO because there are some kids out there that will get hurt or get somebody else hurt. I do agree in letting kids play but I think you also need to win.
CCFOOTBALL1 Wrote:To me its very simple to get success at Clay County.

1. Have two 8th grade teams and two 7th grade teams (Team A and Team B for both classes) This would allow more kids to play and fall in love with the sport. Even though I love to win, it really doesn't matter for the overall picture.

2. Make freshman and JV a priority. This hasn't been the case for many years. I use to beg the coaches to be in a conference but the powers at be did not want to be. I understand that many times these young players need to be hitting dummies for the Varsity because of the low numbers but that only hurts you later on. Make these young players know they are special!!

3. Play simple football but do it Right!!! run the football and play great defense. Also, we have to put time and effort into our special teams. Clay County has always been a joke on special teams. ITS a THIRD OF THE GAME!!!!!

4. we need good quality grade school coaches. we have a few but some our outright JOKES!!!

5. Quality Assistant coaches. You need people around you who you can trust and put the time into it. The salary is 8000 and I think they have about 4 or 5 assistant stipends of 3000. Trust me.... People in Clay are not going to sit back and allow someone from outside the county to bring their people in and give them jobs while we have our on young people who have the education to be jobless. The new coach will have to work with assistant coaches from Clay. Would someone outside the County want that? If i were the coach I would put all the money in a hat and divide it up among all the coaches. Everyone suffers for this game.. Everyone gets paid the same.

6. Encourage your players to play multiple sports!

7. Have a IN-school weight lifting class. if they get their lifting done at school.... Encourage them to go out and get jobs. I'm sure many of these young men see laziness at home but change their minds about that.

8. We have to have our coaches at the School!! how can we lead this young men if we do not work there?? Be seen! Grade checks! Let these students especially the young men know YOU CARE!!

9. KILL philosophy = Keep it Likeable and learn able and the KISS philosophy = Keep it Simple Stupid.

10. Up-date the weight room for all the team sports!

In my humble opinion and you know what they say about opinions is your recipe for success at Clay County.

1. do you have enough to do that? It is a good thougth but do you have the numbers. I am not sure the bigger schools in the state can do that
2 A very good idea in theory but numbers will get you there to because you will be playing several kids who will play on Friday nights if not starting on Friday night so what do you do if your starting left tackle who is a soph and your starting corner who is a soph both go down in the jv game and cant play on Friday? People will be wanting the head coaches head on a platter because he is a moron for getting those kids hurt in a jv game!
3.Very good idea about spec teams I agree 1000%!!! And playing great defesne is great but you have to have great defensive players to play great defense! playing simple is not such a bad idea either.
4. Where and who you going to get? There is time involved and money is time you going to pay those guys to make it worth there time?
5. Do you really want a winner or are you just worried about getting people from Clay Co. to coach there? Bear Bryant was from Arkansas!!!!! And the people in Alabama worship his grave!!! The pay is not very good either have to do something about that.
6.? Don't understand that one. Nothing wrong with kids playing other sports but why would encourage them to play other sports.
7. EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
8. ANOTHER EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will the admin do that let the new coach have coaches in the building?
9. Keep it simple good idea. don't know if I agree with the likable thing. My old high school coach use to piss me off all the time but I respected him and he was one hell of a coach and the older I got the more I respected him for being tuff on us. his tuffness gave me some great memories of winning a lot of games. I am not so sure if he was all warm and fuzzy we would have won many games.
10. ANOTHER EXCELLENT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Again I am not trying to get under your skin just IMO.
I'm not wanting them to lose to Cooper. I just know they'll be good. It's why they play the game. They are playing soccer and want me there. They wanted me to help coach them. But depending on my busy schedule. Might not be able to make every game. Alex Venemans mom coaches them. I was at almost every game 2 years ago. It's fun to watch. Great kids
bo67 Wrote:I'm not wanting them to lose to Cooper. I just know they'll be good. It's why they play the game. They are playing soccer and want me there. They wanted me to help coach them. But depending on my busy schedule. Might not be able to make every game. Alex Venemans mom coaches them. I was at almost every game 2 years ago. It's fun to watch. Great kids
Now this guy has really took the cake with his post:biglmao:
I have given this middle school improvement plan some thought and I think I have a plan. (dont get me wrong its not goin to happen) but it is an option we have not explored. Why dont we send our players, football/basketball, girls and boys, back to their repesective elementary school for athletics only. The girls can continue to play their schedule early in the Fall like they do now and have and elementary and middle school team? They will be through before boys basketball begins so practice schedules will not conflict. Each school will play an elementary and middle school football and basketball schedule. Coordinating it is an issue but thats why the pay DG the big bucks. The rules would be simple, each player must play for the team they last attended, unless they have moved, or for the team within the district they reside. I understand we need to pay our coaches more for coaching two teams and to get more qualified coaches involved in the process. Is this doable? IMO in would solve a great many of the issues we think we have and the only thing we have done is send athletics back to where they belong to begin with. (I might be crazy) Feel free to bash all you want and tell me why it would never work.
I am not going to bash you on that one. Not a bad idea if it can be worked out.
bossman313 Wrote:I have given this middle school improvement plan some thought and I think I have a plan. (dont get me wrong its not goin to happen) but it is an option we have not explored. Why dont we send our players, football/basketball, girls and boys, back to their repesective elementary school for athletics only. The girls can continue to play their schedule early in the Fall like they do now and have and elementary and middle school team? They will be through before boys basketball begins so practice schedules will not conflict. Each school will play an elementary and middle school football and basketball schedule. Coordinating it is an issue but thats why the pay DG the big bucks. The rules would be simple, each player must play for the team they last attended, unless they have moved, or for the team within the district they reside. I understand we need to pay our coaches more for coaching two teams and to get more qualified coaches involved in the process. Is this doable? IMO in would solve a great many of the issues we think we have and the only thing we have done is send athletics back to where they belong to begin with. (I might be crazy) Feel free to bash all you want and tell me why it would never work.

Like the Plan. What about the Schools too small to support Football. Those kids that want to play need to be assigned a school if school in their Dist. cannot field a team. Not being negative but I don't know if Clay Co. wants a successful program that bad ??????
Keep hearing Bert Brown, Greg Duncum, a Sizemore guy, and some guy from out of state.
former Wrote:Keep hearing Bert Brown, Greg Duncum, a Sizemore guy, and some guy from out of state.
Not heard these names at all lately.
I keep hearing Ed Smith and the Combs kid names coming up around town.Neither one has any head coaching exp. but I think this may still be a money issue due to the budget.Ed is already in the system and I think that there may be a job opening at the school that Combs has a certification in.Good luck to whoever does get this oppertunity and lets all support them.
  •  Previous
  • 27(current)
  • Next