•  Previous
  • 22(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
No, it isn't difficult for me to understand at all!! Football is a huge commitment for a high school boy!! Lots of blood sweat and tears; I've watched it personally for more years than I care to admit.

But on the other hand, you want the vetting and scrutiny from the committee to be thorough. You don't want somebody to come in there and screw it up again!!

I agree with you; it's time for Clay to have a dedicated, knowledgeable football coach. They have waiting far too long as it is!!
Bird Wrote:Clays New Years resolution should be fire all committee members, because they are not coming up with a solution. 2 months is too long to put a team on the backburner. No other team sits for 2 months, and football is the most physically demanding of them all. If a coach doesn't know by now if he wants to come, even if it is the guy I think we need, make his decision for him.

Granny Bear Wrote:I get your frustration; I really do!! But have you ever been on a hiring committee?? It's difficult to say the least, and frustrating its' own right.

I'm anxious for a decision to be made, and hope it will be soon. As far as the team sitting for 2 months, they can hit the weight room without a coach. If they are "sitting" right now, then there are more issues that no head coach, IMO.

Bird Wrote:When will they be sure TC? Finally getting their guy in mid January, if they are lucky, then him putting a staff together by mid February. Time is of the essence. Physically, our players are years behind kids who have came thru a football program with solid weight room personnel. That was the reason for all the injuries last season IMO.
Granny, IMO the players are not coming back out yet because they don't want to commit themselves not knowing who they are committing to. These kids have seen guys that played 10 years quit as Seniors, over what most agree was fueled by ex coaches. You all are blessed in Harlan to have Larkey, someone that kids buy into. Here in Clay, we haven't had that in 20+ years, I guess it might be hard to understand unless you have witnessed it.

I am reluctantly going to reply.

If I'm not mistaken, Clay has not had a football coach since November 10th 2014. It's 2015 and Clay still does not have a coach.

With all due respect to the committee, it's hard for me to understand all the "taking their time to make the right decision" stuff.

If they have 27 applications to choose from, I'm willing to bet 17 of them were weeded out in the first hour of the first meeting, which leaves 10 viable candidates.

The next seven days could serve for vetting those remaining ten. This time could also be utilized by members to discuss those applicants via phone calls, visits and emails. A lot can be talked about in seven days in this day and time.

Meet again and within two hours have it down to 5 or 6. Spend the next hour polishing questions you want to ask the applicants...the questions should be the easy part if you have a clue.

The following day, schedule interviews.

In the meantime, members stay connected and keep discussing the applicants until interviews begin.

Hire one or two of em and let em go to work.

If the committee is making more of this than that, then IMHO they're making too much out of it.

Again, we haven't had a football coach since November 10th, it's January 1, 2015 and we still haven't interviewed the first one???

Maybe I'm out of line here. Hopefully allllllllllllll this time helps the committee hit a grand slam home run. We shall see.
BIG TONY Wrote:Man you must really hate the former staff or someone on it. Usually in football, the ones who quit, hate the coach and the ones who stay love him. ACL injuries aren't caused by a lack of lifting. Jacob Reid, strong as an ox is an example. The former staff and players worked like dogs in the weight room. Tom Larkey is a personal friend of mine and his weight lifting guy is one of my BEST friends. They lost 16 starters last year because of injuries, kids moving, kids quitting. They won 2 games. God bless you and your family.

In sports there are times that injuries just happen. In fairness to the former staff, it was just one of those seasons where a lot of injuries took place. Period.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I am reluctantly going to reply.

If I'm not mistaken, Clay has not had a football coach since November 10th 2014. It's 2015 and Clay still does not have a coach.

With all due respect to the committee, it's hard for me to understand all the "taking their time to make the right decision" stuff.

If they have 27 applications to choose from, I'm willing to bet 17 of them were weeded out in the first hour of the first meeting, which leaves 10 viable candidates.

The next seven days could serve for vetting those remaining ten. This time could also be utilized by members to discuss those applicants via phone calls, visits and emails. A lot can be talked about in seven days in this day and time.

Meet again and within two hours have it down to 5 or 6. Spend the next hour polishing questions you want to ask the applicants...the questions should be the easy part if you have a clue.

In the meantime, members stay connected and keep discussing the applicants until interviews begin.

If the committee is making more of this than that, then IMHO they're making too much out of it.

Again, we haven't had a football coach since November 10th, it's January 1, 2015 and we still haven't interviewed the first one???

Maybe I'm out of line here. Hopefully allllllllllllll this time helps the committee hit a grand slam home run. We shall see.

Excellent post Skinnypig. No one wanted a rush job, but as you have stated, there's been plenty of time to get the job done right. Another thing that makes you go huh.
BIG TONY Wrote:Man you must really hate the former staff or someone on it. Usually in football, the ones who quit, hate the coach and the ones who stay love him. ACL injuries aren't caused by a lack of lifting. Jacob Reid, strong as an ox is an example. The former staff and players worked like dogs in the weight room. Tom Larkey is a personal friend of mine and his weight lifting guy is one of my BEST friends. They lost 16 starters last year because of injuries, kids moving, kids quitting. They won 2 games. God bless you and your family.

I agree Tony. Anyone that would blame the injuries the Clay players suffered this year on the coach or his staff must have some kind of silly grudge, or simply isn't thinking.
Eagle.....Browne beat breathitt in 09. Breathitt wasn't very good that year. Still not impressed with Bert. You have talent and can't make a playoff run. Lewis from Clay threw it all over them if I'm not mistaken. Breathitt is down we all know it. Moore is doing everything he can here. Hard to win when the state is involved. Magoffin had one of our own coaching against us too. Heck of a coach too. Just like every other money hungry coach Browne would jump on the first ride out of town if times get hard. He's a whiner. Just from what I've seen and heard from his years at perry.
Injuries are gonna happen it's football. Not the coaches fault. Things just happen. It was clays year for that to happen.
bobcatsfan Wrote:Eagle.....Browne beat breathitt in 09. Breathitt wasn't very good that year. Still not impressed with Bert. You have talent and can't make a playoff run. Lewis from Clay threw it all over them if I'm not mistaken. Breathitt is down we all know it. Moore is doing everything he can here. Hard to win when the state is involved. Magoffin had one of our own coaching against us too. Heck of a coach too. Just like every other money hungry coach Browne would jump on the first ride out of town if times get hard. He's a whiner. Just from what I've seen and heard from his years at perry.

ha ha ha bobcatfan you must be this young coaches father. YOU HAD A RUNNING BACK THAT SIGNED WITH TENN!!!!!!! I am pretty sure perry didn't have anyone sign D1 off that team. how many state titles have you all won 3 and you are dogging a guy that took a perry team that had been awful before he got there and then comes to your house and beats the crap out of you!!!! make up your mind I thought you all were the great bobcats, at least you were suppose to be then. and if you think any business man or coach would not leave somewhere for more money you are either not thinking or are blinded by your love for the bobcats. Holcomb left and from what I heard drives one hour everyday for more money!!!!!
oh and ole dud didn't build that program Holcomb did!!!
oh and name me a team THAT THE STATE RECORD HOLDER FOR PASSING DIDNT THROW IT ALL OVER AGAINST??????? I will be waiting on your reply!!!!!! you are talking about a kid that had he been 6'2 would have gone anywhere in the country he wanted to.. FACT!!!!
oh and while I am on a roll tell me where Fugate lived????? Perry Co. I can tell you that. one of my best friends in the world lives in hazard and is a big perry fan.
Kinda strange a bunch of non Clay guys would be this interested in the hire. Agenda anyone? :lmao:
Ilm still hearing that Eddie Smith will be the coach with former coach Hensley returning as an assistant. We are trying to get back to our glory year.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:I am reluctantly going to reply.

As a fan of team that went through this last season, don't worry too much about the time frame. Whitley had to wait a long time but did not get their first choice, (enter you joke here), probably not their second choice but in my opinion got the right choice. My best advice is to be patient. It will work its way out. Good Luck hope you get a good coach, every kid regardless of what schools it is deserves a good coach!!
The only reason people are giving the committe a hard time is because this bunch is keeping it quiet and not running around telling everything. The bunch at the trans dept is so appalled that no one is listening to them. They are not listening at all to anyone. I know and here things and they will hire in time. The job has been posted and ended and let them do a good job. We would be on here complaining if they hired to soon and now we are complaining they are taking time. What some are mad at id because it's not going to be a clay county boy or they would have hired as soon as time ran out. People on these sites are going to gripe now and in days ahead and I love that this committee don't care. Can't wait to read the post when it's all over.
TheTigersEye Wrote:Kinda strange a bunch of non Clay guys would be this interested in the hire. Agenda anyone? :lmao:

No agenda here...I'm just anxious to get the hire set in stone.
Why are we in such a hurry. We want to make the right decision so I like that they are taking there time this means there serious.

I wouldn't say hate, but strongly disagree with their methods. If 1 or 2 players love the coaches and 30-40 dislike them I would say a change is needed. If you were around the coaches or players last season you should know how it was. I will agree with you on the ACL injuries, but that is just 2 of the how many that left the team?
TrueTigerfan Wrote:Why are we in such a hurry. We want to make the right decision so I like that they are taking there time this means there serious.

I wouldn't say anyone is in a hurry. Trust me, there's not a plethora of juggernaut coaches waiting in the wings for this committee to make a "patient", painstakingly difficult decision on. There's been ample time. It's time to go to work.

Have they even conducted the first interview yet?
See I disagree because it's more than just hiring a football coach. The hire has to have a job and the family. It all has to be just right. I think they are doing the best job any committee has done. I like how they are not listening to anyone and doing all the work themselves.
I am glad they are making sure everything is right.
The Eagle has landed Wrote:what time does that come out

Granny Bear Wrote:No agenda here...I'm just anxious to get the hire set in stone.

Are you sure that you nor a close relative of yours has applied granny? Haha, JK! You're welcome in Tiger Town anytime!
So, you wouldn't say there is a Plethora?
TrueTigerfan Wrote:See I disagree because it's more than just hiring a football coach. The hire has to have a job and the family. It all has to be just right. I think they are doing the best job any committee has done. I like how they are not listening to anyone and doing all the work themselves.
I am glad they are making sure everything is right.

Not one person has griped about how they are doing their job, nor is anyone doubting their intent. And most of us would prefer they not listen to many and do their work themselves. Most of us even have confidence they will get it right. Our players have been coach-less since Nobember 10th. Most would agree that by now, at the very least, interviews should have began.

If this decision is indeed as difficult as its being portrayed, we must be fixin to get a good one.
TheTigersEye Wrote:So, you wouldn't say there is a Plethora?

No...more than efficient to meet ones needs. Nice word huh?
Well eagle I'm friends with the young mans father and they are wonderful people. Lewis was a heck of a QB and yes he threw it all over everyone. The 09 team did have fugate but look at his stats. Didn't have the best year that year. The year before in 08 was the year fugate ran the ball a lot better. Had a better line. I'm not gonna get into a pissing contest with ya. I'm a family friend and I've have seen what the young man can do. Bert Browne had his chances and couldn't do nothing with them. Didn't help his feeder system at all. You must be Bert Browne the way your acting. You take offense to everything. In my years I've seen a lot of coaches come and go in this area. Browne ranks at the bottom. We all know Holcomb built the program too. Dudley was just the coach that was here when it got started. Actually fugate lived in breathitt county right up the hill beside of where they built the drive in on hwy 15 by Vic's food mart. In breathitt county. Know condey Wayne and Willa very well.
No one has griped how they are doing YES they have
First they have been without a coach since Nov 10 but there is a process to doing this people
Kids need time to rest and recover as long as someone is in place by February or end of February it will be fine. Just because kids are in the weight room don't mean a thing. They have to be committed to doing some work in the off season on there own. I know kids that are committed to the team are making sure they are still working hard or playing another sport. Believe me this team will be just as good if the hire don't happen to sometime in February. Your not just hiring a coach but this person will be a board hire so things take time and there is a process so chill out . It will be much better than what we had I assure you. I have a confidant that's in the circle and believe me the committee and admin are doing some major work on this position and the future of football.
Maybe I'm overreacting guys. I was just hoping that after the Christmas and New Years break, our players would have a coach waiting and anxious to go to work. It ain't gonna happen so I'm gonna cry.
Bird Wrote:I wouldn't say hate, but strongly disagree with their methods. If 1 or 2 players love the coaches and 30-40 dislike them I would say a change is needed. If you were around the coaches or players last season you should know how it was. I will agree with you on the ACL injuries, but that is just 2 of the how many that left the team?
Like I said, a lot of hate. Only one starter left the team and one who was benched for being lazy. A JV kid quit because someone yelled at him. Imagine that in football. You hate so much, you are a LIAR. PM me the other ones who left the team. Let it go brother.
TrueTigerfan Wrote:No one has griped how they are doing YES they have
First they have been without a coach since Nov 10 but there is a process to doing this people
Kids need time to rest and recover as long as someone is in place by February or end of February it will be fine. Just because kids are in the weight room don't mean a thing. They have to be committed to doing some work in the off season on there own. I know kids that are committed to the team are making sure they are still working hard or playing another sport. Believe me this team will be just as good if the hire don't happen to sometime in February. Your not just hiring a coach but this person will be a board hire so things take time and there is a process so chill out . It will be much better than what we had I assure you. I have a confidant that's in the circle and believe me the committee and [B]admin are doing some major work on this position and the future of football[/B].

I applaud your confidence. I've been around for a long time and there's no way I would make such assurances. I'm older than dirt and it would be the first time.

But hey, there is a first time for everything, right?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Not one person has griped about how they are doing their job, nor is anyone doubting their intent. And most of us would prefer they not listen to many and do their work themselves. Most of us even have confidence they will get it right. Our players have been coach-less since Nobember 10th. Most would agree that by now, at the very least, interviews should have began.

If this decision is indeed as difficult as its being portrayed, we must be fixin to get a good one.

Well, the best coach that has applied hasn't gotten worse or the worst coach that has applied hasn't gotten better since the closing of the job. They are what they are, hire one and go with it.

I'm going to say it comes back to Eddie Smith, no teaching position will even have to be created. Why not give a local fellar a chance? There's been a several of them apply and genuinely want to be here. I really don't understand why so many people are against clay county guys, it's like they're jealous or scared to death a fellar from here will have some success.

And Yes SP Nice Word!
  •  Previous
  • 22(current)
  • Next