•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potential Clay Coach?
SLHSCard Wrote:I would think that Coach Siezmore would apply over there, I thought he would have applied for the SL job the last few times it has been open, I know he was happy where he's at last time I talked to him. He done a good job with the kids at SL when he was here.

From what I've heard, he has applied.
Its hard to discuss the candidates when we don't know who they are. The applicants are not being posted on Facebook or other social media outlets. I suppose when the ones with the applications post them somewhere we can discuss them.

I know of two applications that have been submitted. The ONLY reason I know is because one of the applicants himself (Eddie Smith) told me he applied. The other is Michael Paul Sizemore, his father told me he applied.

Eddie Smith...assisted for Hensley during his first run at Clay County. If I'm not mistaken, Smith was offered the job when Hensley or Napier left but was right in the middle of raising a family and decided to walk away. He's about 50 years old and coached a variety of football & basketball teams from Harlan to Clay during his elementary teaching career. Whether or not it matters, he's well liked and the players would love him. Never been a high school head coach but would do fine.

Michael Paul Sizemore...Clay native that played football at Clay & North Laurel. Currently the head football coach at 1A Bracken County. I think he has been there three years. Not sure but I "think" he assisted at South or North Laurel before going to Bracken. Someone might be able to clear that up. Comes from a good family here in Clay County.

There you go, that's what I know. Anyone else know more? Or should we just continue to sling names around and speculate like clowns?
TheTigersEye Wrote:Who was it?

My guess is he's talking about Steve Jewell. Rumor has it Clay Admin was in discussions wit him early on. Just rumor, who knows?
SKINNYPIG Wrote:Its hard to discuss the candidates when we don't know who they are. The applicants are not being posted on Facebook or other social media outlets. I suppose when the ones with the applications post them somewhere we can discuss them.

I know of two applications that have been submitted. The ONLY reason I know is because one of the applicants himself (Eddie Smith) told me he applied. The other is Michael Paul Sizemore, his father told me he applied.

Eddie Smith...assisted for Hensley during his first run at Clay County. If I'm not mistaken, Smith was offered the job when Hensley or Napier left but was right in the middle of raising a family and decided to walk away. He's about 50 years old and coached a variety of football & basketball teams from Harlan to Clay during his elementary teaching career. Whether or not it matters, he's well liked and the players would love him. Never been a high school head coach but would do fine.

Michael Paul Sizemore...Clay native that played football at Clay & North Laurel. Currently the head football coach at 1A Bracken County. I think he has been there three years. Not sure but I "think" he assisted at South or North Laurel before going to Bracken. Someone might be able to clear that up. Comes from a good family here in Clay County.

There you go, that's what I know. Anyone else know more? Or should we just continue to sling names around and speculate like clowns?

Excellent run down, Skinnypig. I have heard those two names myself. Both great guys, opposite ends of the coaching spectrum. One older, been away for a while. One young, just getting started. Again, both are really good guys.
You guys think Zach Lewis is Completely out of the mix, I wonder if he's committed to staying in the college ranks?
Oldtiger Wrote:You guys think Zach Lewis is Completely out of the mix, I wonder if he's committed to staying in the college ranks?

My bet is that Zach stays in the college game.
Well from the names mentioned earlier I don't see the admin hiring either. One has no experience as head coach and the other didn't win a game last year. Neither are proven coaches. Maybe good assistants but not head coach. I heard they are not doing the hometown guys at all.
I'm always amazed at these Coaching Rumor boards. Joe Blow don't want Whitaker or Eugene Hensley is too old or Mitch or Black would not move. I think with the right Attitude and commitment from the Administration any of these Coaches could be successful. Clay County should be pleased with whomever they hire. Get behind them and support them. JMO Good Luck!!!!
Bracken County 2-20. 189 points scored 1058 scored against in last 2 seasons.
Cellking Wrote:I'm always amazed at these Coaching Rumor boards. Joe Blow don't want Whitaker or Eugene Hensley is too old or Mitch or Black would not move. I think with the right Attitude and commitment from the Administration any of these Coaches could be successful. Clay County should be pleased with whomever they hire. Get behind them and support them. JMO Good Luck!!!!

One should never put stock into what's said on an anonymous message board. Some good information comes out but it's for the most part bull crap.

I live in Clay County and talk to committee members, principals, teachers, coaches, admin and players often. Not one time have I heard anyone say they didn't want Whitaker. Not one person has said Hensley is too old. Nor have I heard anyone say that Mitch or Black would be excluded if they didn't move. I have however, been told who several of the applicants are. Whitaker, Hensley, Mitch nor Black were mentioned. That does not mean they haven't applied.

On this message board there has been some discussion about a coach commuting (myself included)...yes we would "hope" that our new coach becomes a Clay Countian, it's not a deal breaker though. I think any program would want their coach to live in their community, not just Clay County, right?

One thing you say is as right as rain "with the right attitude and commitment from the administration". When and if admin does that, our new coach will succeed, as would a few past coaches had they got the same.
E's Army Wrote:Bracken County 2-20. 189 points scored 1058 scored against in last 2 seasons.

Looks like Bracken County was 13-79 in the 10 seasons before that.
insideinfo Wrote:If they don't get in a hurry there is going to be good coaches available. You will have to get the checkbook out if you are interested.

Who is available?
A hasty, rash decision would possibly be disasterous. Time and and due consideration should be taken for this important task.
E's Army Wrote:Bracken County 2-20. 189 points scored 1058 scored against in last 2 seasons.

Mack Brown had three 1-10 seasons in his first five years atwo different schools (Tulane and UNC).

Tom Duffy had a 1-19 span at Henderson back in 99 and 00.

Sam Harp who won 7 state titles at Danville, just finished 2-8 then 0-10 at the school he took over in Lebanon, TN.

Sounds like Sizemore is in good company.
I can tell you for sure the admin will not hire someone that has coached and had no success. They will not hire someone that has not coached before. Clay would eat them alive. I hear they have received a few really good candidates. I am hearing they will not hire anyone from hometown. Same old crap if they do.
So basically these guys are being discriminated against because one took over a school that has 0 tradition and no prior success. The guy is responsible for half of the schools all time wins and is the most successul coach to ever coach at the school in only a few years there and the other is a local guy that has remained loyal to the county and not pursued a head coaching position because he was raising a family. If this administration has no loyalty to guys from clay, then where does their true loyalty lie? Maybe they need to go somewhere else if there is something wrong with Clay County people. I would take either one of these guys and either would do a fine job.
I hope their loyalty is too hire a good person to change things around here in Clay. I hope they don't think they have to stay in Clay because if they do the next 3 years will be the same as the past 3 years. I hope they go outside clay.
I think they can get that accomplished by hiring a local guy, sounds like one has took a job in a town that isnt very athletics minded and the other just was too busy with life to put in the time to be the head man last time around. Why punish these guys for circumstances outside of their control? Sizemore has done as much with a whole lot less where he's at and to the best of my knowsledge Smith was an administrator in the county, Sounds like good people to me. Clay County is notorious for sending their best and brightest away to other communities, so may as well keep with the status quo. NO LOCALS ALLOWED! :Thumbs:
Smith was an administrator WAS is the word.
How many wins did Sizemore have in 3 years?
Your right on letting good ones get away I can't afford to stay in clay so I have moved on but have family there and they keep me up on the happenings and if they want change and progress they will break the mold and hire outside. You stay in and your getting same as past 3 years but different last name. I think the admin will no way make a hire in clay. UNLESS smith can get Hensley back involved maybe BUT you have th truest ion why isn't he an admin today. Gott love clay I am out because I don't have dog in this fight so I will set back nd see what happens
TrueTigerfan Wrote:Smith was an administrator WAS is the word.
How many wins did Sizemore have in 3 years?
Your right on letting good ones get away I can't afford to stay in clay so I have moved on but have family there and they keep me up on the happenings and if they want change and progress they will break the mold and hire outside. You stay in and your getting same as past 3 years but different last name. I think the admin will no way make a hire in clay. UNLESS smith can get Hensley back involved maybe BUT you have th truest ion why isn't he an admin today. Gott love clay I am out because I don't have dog in this fight so I will set back nd see what happens

I'm not insinuating the next coach they hire isn't important, what admin does after the hire is what's going to be most important. If Clay admin wants a football program and does what it needs to do to have one, it opens the door to a lot of guys being able to succeed here, even guys from Clay County.

You're simply not thinking if you think there's one guy we can hire that fixes all that's wrong. Not gonna happen.
For those saying outside or bust all while wanting somebody to set up shop for a while and BUILD this thing, I have news for ya..

...there aren't too many people out there, who have zero ties to Clay County, who look at planting their roots for a while in Manchester. No offense, bc that's the case for most all small communities in our state and everywhere else.

It's in the middle of nowhere for starters. It doesn't exactly have the greatest reputation for what most would consider a 'prospering' community, either.

I'm not disrespecting, I'm just stating facts.

I for one think this is one of the better jobs that can come open this year, if nothing more than the district/region they've been placed in.

If you are wanting somebody from the outside, who has won in some capacity and expecting them to stay past 2018...I think that's a stretch. However, if the new realignment come 2018 proves to be in their favor, then who knows....you might be an exception to rule above.

Best of luck. Played their once and loved everything about the atmosphere and community. Seems learn they want success.
There is enough talent right now at Clay to win. There were a good number of middle school players in the system. This board will have no impact on the decision but I believe teo factors should not be overlooked: 1) a veteran coach from close by that knows the area, is well respected by other coaches, and who has a proven track record in tough situations would be ideal at this stage. 2) sometimes it takes an inexperienced young coach time to realize that in spite of what schemes he prefers that you have to play to fit your kids AND that most all programs that sustain success do it with a strong ground game and defense. This basketball on grass stuff is fine and it's fun but if you can't line up and run the football you are usually in trouble. Defense wins championships..... Like it or not. Hope they hire an experienced coach. They do have that option for a fact
"This board will have no impact on the decision"- redstone 1127

The truest statement that's been made.
redstone1127 Wrote:There is enough talent right now at Clay to win. There were a good number of middle school players in the system. This board will have no impact on the decision but I believe teo factors should not be overlooked: 1) a veteran coach from close by that knows the area, is well respected by other coaches, and who has a proven track record in tough situations would be ideal at this stage. 2) sometimes it takes an inexperienced young coach time to realize that in spite of what schemes he prefers that you have to play to fit your kids AND that most all programs that sustain success do it with a strong ground game and defense. This basketball on grass stuff is fine and it's fun but if you can't line up and run the football you are usually in trouble. Defense wins championships..... Like it or not. Hope they hire an experienced coach. They do have that option for a fact

Usually its your experienced coaches that are so arrogant in their ways that try to force kids into their system. I see more younger coaches willing to fit their system around the strengths of their players.
Robert Marcum hadn't won a game or been a head coach before he got the tiger job to my knowledge and it seems he's doing fine. You cant go by expierience or win loss record, obviously theres nfl coaches that lose most of their games every year its a product of their situation. Im for any local guys with clay county pride aslong as their givin the keys to the car and the support from the community. How many championships would Phil Jackson have if he had coached the bobcats?
I said with a proven track record. That alone should rule out an arrogant coach. Arrogance usually gets you fired at this level. Before you jump on the young coach bandwagon beware. I promise you ......arrogance is not determined by age. Known commodities mean less risk. BUT there are no sure things. The one true gauge should be consulting kids who have played for the candidate. Usually kids will tell the tale. The right coach will want to win and know how to use what he's got to do it.
StormTrooper Wrote:Robert Marcum hadn't won a game or been a head coach before he got the tiger job to my knowledge and it seems he's doing fine. You cant go by expierience or win loss record, obviously theres nfl coaches that lose most of their games every year its a product of their situation. Im for any local guys with clay county pride aslong as their givin the keys to the car and the support from the community. How many championships would Phil Jackson have if he had coached the bobcats?

:Thumbs:
StormTrooper Wrote:Robert Marcum hadn't won a game or been a head coach before he got the tiger job to my knowledge and it seems he's doing fine. You cant go by expierience or win loss record, obviously theres nfl coaches that lose most of their games every year its a product of their situation. Im for any local guys with clay county pride aslong as their givin the keys to the car and the support from the community. How many championships would Phil Jackson have if he had coached the bobcats?

Exactly. It's not just the right man for the job, it's all of the support he will need from all involved. Young, old, experienced or new, will not matter if he doesn't have the proper support.
Heard last night that the committe will investigate each applicant to the fullest. Heard they are looking at everything. Also heard they will have a hand in hiring the coaches assistant. The last reign downfall was in part weak assistants. The big guys on the committe are for real in hiring only the best. A lot big guys on the committe that are smart. Heard another name may be thrown in from clay that has a lot of friends on committe. Going to be interesting.
That will go over good. Head man should hire staff..
Give some names of those that have applied or committee interested in?
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next