Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the difference between D2 and NAIA
Whats the difference between D2 football and NAIA football are they even on the same level ?
There is another class that seperates them which is division 3 schools
Divison II is NCAA, and NAIA is its own league.

In order or talent / competiion/ School Size

FBS - Florida state / Clemson/ Duke
FCS - Morehead State/ App State / Montana
D-II - Kentucky State/ Morehouse/ Noth Dakotah State
D-III Mount Union/ Rowan
NAIA Georgetown / Pikeville College
The Iceboxx Wrote:Divison II is NCAA, and NAIA is its own league.

In order or talent / competiion/ School Size

FBS - Florida state / Clemson/ Duke
FCS - Morehead State/ App State / Montana
D-II - Kentucky State/ Morehouse/ Noth Dakotah State
D-III Mount Union/ Rowan
NAIA Georgetown / Pikeville College

I would put NAIA above DIII. NAIA offers scholarships and DIII is more academics with no scholarships. Just my opinion though. D-II is pretty good and above NAIA, not all teams, such as the West Virginia teams are pretty much the same as NAIA. But other conferences are above NAIA.
Morehead is FCS but they are non-scholarship, Georgetown would beat then easily year in and year out..................
NEXT Wrote:Morehead is FCS but they are non-scholarship, Georgetown would beat then easily year in and year out..................

No they wouldn't. MSU has a bigger line and faster skill players most years. Georgetown couldn't even step onto the feild with MSU when Denkins was there.
D1A- 85 scholarships (UK, U of L)
D1-AA- 65 scholarships (EKU, Murray)
D1-AA (Non scholarship) (Morehead St, Dayton)
D2- Has 36 scholarships (KY State, KY Wesylean, Tusculum)
NAIA- Has 24 scholarships (Gtown, Cville, Cumberlands, Union)
D3- No scholarships (Centre, Thomas Moore, Hanover)
Georgetown would not beat Morehead State.
G-Town vs Morehead would be a good game. Now Campbellsville playing Wisconsin-Whitewater wont be
If you go back and check, Georgetown took 1-AA power, Wofford College to the wire a few years back. Also, Campbellsville University took 1-AA Austin Peay to the woodshed, 3 out of four occasions from 2001-2004. Austin Peay was in the Pioneer Conference during that time, along with Morehead State.

I agree with another poster, I don't know if there's is much difference at all in terms of talent levels when you talk about the best of the best in 1-AA Non-scholarship, D-2 and NAIA.
Matman Wrote:No they wouldn't. MSU has a bigger line and faster skill players most years. Georgetown couldn't even step onto the feild with MSU when Denkins was there.

Really?

When I attended MSU and had class with most of the players I can honestly tell you that Belfry's line was bigger(state title years).

I think 7 out of 10 years G-Town beats them, that level of football(FCS non-scholarship) is not very good at all.

Out of 716 football playing schools in 2009 Morehead was ranked 428 while Georgetown was 371 on the Massey Ratings site, those numbers come easy to me because I have had this argument before on other sites.
NEXT Wrote:Really?

When I attended MSU and had class with most of the players I can honestly tell you that Belfry's line was bigger(state title years).

I think 7 out of 10 years G-Town beats them, that level of football(FCS non-scholarship) is not very good at all.

Out of 716 football playing schools in 2009 Morehead was ranked 428 while Georgetown was 371 on the Massey Ratings site, those numbers come easy to me because I have had this argument before on other sites.

When i played for Morehead State our line averaged over 330 across. That was 99-01. When was you there. I also played against and beat Belfry before that and their line wasnt near that size. The Harmon kid from Belfry walked on at MSU and coudln't get any playing time. He was the best lineman from Belfry. I visited Georgetown too and was offered a partial scholarship. They had a Defensive lineman at that time that was 220lbs. at 6ft. The talent at MSU was better. The only reason i chose MSU was even with a partial scholarship to Georgetown it was still expensive. It doesn't matter though. We can speculate all we want and it wont prove anything unless they played.
Matman Wrote:When i played for Morehead State our line averaged over 330 across. That was 99-01. When was you there. I also played against and beat Belfry before that and their line wasnt near that size. The Harmon kid from Belfry walked on at MSU and coudln't get any playing time. He was the best lineman from Belfry. I visited Georgetown too and was offered a partial scholarship. They had a Defensive lineman at that time that was 220lbs. at 6ft. The talent at MSU was better. The only reason i chose MSU was even with a partial scholarship to Georgetown it was still expensive. It doesn't matter though. We can speculate all we want and it wont prove anything unless they played.

04-06, and believe me they got smaller. Belfry's line on the first state title avg. 6'3" 280lbs...........

Being with most those guys everyday in class, even the skill guys, they didn't show me a lot athletically aside from 1-2 guys. They had a guy get picked up either as a free agent or drafted, that was a safety and he was athletic and I thought he was way out of place, turns out he had been at D-1 school and got into some trouble.
NEXT Wrote:04-06, and believe me they got smaller. Belfry's line on the first state title avg. 6'3" 280lbs...........

Being with most those guys everyday in class, even the skill guys, they didn't show me a lot athletically aside from 1-2 guys. They had a guy get picked up either as a free agent or drafted, that was a safety and he was athletic and I thought he was way out of place, turns out he had been at D-1 school and got into some trouble.

Height wise MSU was right at 6'5" across. The biggest lineman was Moon who was 6'7" 400lbs. Dave Denkins the QB was drafted.
Harry Doyle Wrote:If you go back and check, Georgetown took 1-AA power, Wofford College to the wire a few years back. Also, Campbellsville University took 1-AA Austin Peay to the woodshed, 3 out of four occasions from 2001-2004. Austin Peay was in the Pioneer Conference during that time, along with Morehead State.

I agree with another poster, I don't know if there's is much difference at all in terms of talent levels when you talk about the best of the best in 1-AA Non-scholarship, D-2 and NAIA.
Check back and you'll also see the Morehead beat Wofford a few years back and those Austin Peay teams in the early 2000's were the worst in the Pioneer League. Everybody took Peay to the woodshed then, including Morehead, who beat the life out of Peay regularly. In 2009, the Eagles were very young and their record showed it in the end. In 2008, a very average MSU team only lost by a touchdown at EKU, who won the OVC that year. There is a talent difference between I-AA and I-AA non-scholarship, but its not as wide as many think. MSU has knocked off quite a few scholarship teams since going non-scholly.

Now, that said, I'd like to see a matchup between MSU and Georgetown. I think it'd be a good. On some years, the Tigers would beat the Eagles, but over the long haul, MSU would come out on top more often.
Georgetown now would not beat Morehead. Gtown is not Gtown anymore. Pikeville played Tenn Tech this past year who is in the OVC with EKU, and there are PLENTY of good NAIA teams that would would romp them. A lot of people think that NAIA is playing down but I have no doubt in my mind that the TOP tier teams in NAIA such as as St. Francis (IN) Sioux Falls, Lindenwood, Carrol College that would all do well in Division 1-AA.
Redsfan,

Exactly when was this morehead win over Wofford?
Pretty sure Morehead beat Wofford in 97 & 98.
David Dinkins was not drafted, he signed free agent with Buffalo.
Dave Dinkins wasn't drafted like SB73 said...he signed a free agent deal to Buffalo Bills and lasted 2 years with them along with a few years in NFL Europe. Charles Byrd came signed a free agent contract but that's it. Morehead beat Wofford in 97. Talent wise Morehead is/was above average but they produced superior numbers on offense... several times they had the number one offense in the nation (D1-AA) verses tough schedules (South Florida, Wofford, WKU, etc.). It would be hard for me to believe that G-town would beat Morehead on a consistent basis, would they win some, sure but they wouldn't dominate them. Matter of fact Morehead in the late 90's tried to play G-town and they wouldn't. I would have loved to seen that match up....specially verses the 97 and 98 teams when they had it cranking.
NEXT Wrote:Really?

I couldn't find the overall rating that you mention but Dayton is the highest rated in the league at 54 compared to Morehead at 122. The league as a whole is a competitive league and I for one would love to see them play Georgetown.