Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lewis Co. 22 - Powell Co. 8
Final! Congrats LC
Strikeout King Wrote:Final! Congrats LC

I figured as much.The Powell coach kicked off half the team last week.Especially going to hurt their D.
Lewis Co. wouldve won without half the team getting kicked off.
BobcatStuckInPowell Wrote:I figured as much.The Powell coach kicked off half the team last week.Especially going to hurt their D.

That's what happens when players skip practice. Some of those kids have no respect whatsoever for their school or their team. I spoke with Coach Burchett about it earlier this week and he had warned them about skipping practice and they did it anyways. He couldn't say enough about his Freshman and Sophmore classes though. Powell Co. will be a district contender in a couple years..
this is becuase of a lack of leadership and desire....we didnt have this problem last year becuase we had plenty seniors that stepped up and made sure that everyone was at practice....if they werent....they dealt with it personally....it isnt the coach....its the players....several of the players this year are lazy and in the offseason....they didnt show up for weightlifting....i kno wats wrong with powell co...i can figure the players the were kicked off and they are all very talented....if they had these players...lewis wouldve lost...trust me
[QUOTE=POCO HISTORY #70;828067i can figure the players the were kicked off and they are all very talented....if they had these players...lewis wouldve lost...trust me[/QUOTE]

What kind of coach or team wants players like this though? If they aren't able to even come out topractice, then they don't deserve a spot on the team. They shouldn't have to be told by anyone to show up to practice or lift and condition in the off season. Those are things that go along with the commmitment of playing the game. It doesn't matter that Lewis Co. won last night. What matters is the experience and knowledge of the game that the underclassmen are gaining from all of this. This will ultimately, pay off next year and the year after, bringing some pride into this program. Then the one's who thought they were too good to come out to practice and got booted from the team will have to remember that for the rest of their lives while their buddies are all recalling their old playing days.
Coach Burchett isn't thinking of just this year. He MUST make this situation an example to the younger players that disrespecting the game won't be tolerated. If he lets this go, Powell Co. will NEVER develop a true football program.

It'll be interesting to see how many players try to make amends. Knowing Tony, I'd say he'd permit them back (he has a big heart), BUT...it'll only be after they give him many, MANY laps (enough to show the game is taken seriously) and apologize to the rest of the team. And if a given player isn't willing to do it, believe me, he's no loss to the team. Some things are more important than winning "now"...
oneijoe Wrote:Coach Burchett isn't thinking of just this year. He MUST make this situation an example to the younger players that disrespecting the game won't be tolerated. If he lets this go, Powell Co. will NEVER develop a true football program.

It'll be interesting to see how many players try to make amends. Knowing Tony, I'd say he'd permit them back (he has a big heart), BUT...it'll only be after they give him many, MANY laps (enough to show the game is taken seriously) and apologize to the rest of the team. And if a given player isn't willing to do it, believe me, he's no loss to the team. Some things are more important than winning "now"...

Amen. You said it best. He will not stop until he is satisfied with the direction of the players and the community. He is not just a football coach, but also a life coach. He teaches these kids not only to respect the game, but also to respect themselves and show class. He has a great group of young kids that have faith in him and his EXCELLENT coaching abilities. This program will be turned around and heading in the right direction. Regardless if they win another game this year, these kids are getting the kind of experience that will make them contenders in the future. Best of luck to Coach Burchett and the Pirates next week against Casey Co.
Powell county has regressed. They're appears to be TURMOIL in Pirate land. I do agree, If they don't or wont practice, You do not need them. You speak of talent but without heart it is waisted.
POCO HISTORY #70 Wrote:this is becuase of a lack of leadership and desire....we didnt have this problem last year becuase we had plenty seniors that stepped up and made sure that everyone was at practice....if they werent....they dealt with it personally....it isnt the coach....its the players....several of the players this year are lazy and in the offseason....they didnt show up for weightlifting....i kno wats wrong with powell co...i can figure the players the were kicked off and they are all very talented....if they had these players...lewis wouldve lost...trust me

We will never know the answer to that question. Your coach has done the right thing if these individuals were not dedicated to the concept of TEAM, SACRIFICE and DEDICATION. It is better to lose with class than to win with no morals.
F.N.L. Wrote:We will never know the answer to that question. Your coach has done the right thing if these individuals were not dedicated to the concept of TEAM, SACRIFICE and DEDICATION. It is better to lose with class than to win with no morals.

Precisely. High School football is MORE than a game.
Mr. Sandwich Wrote:What kind of coach or team wants players like this though? If they aren't able to even come out topractice, then they don't deserve a spot on the team. They shouldn't have to be told by anyone to show up to practice or lift and condition in the off season. Those are things that go along with the commmitment of playing the game. It doesn't matter that Lewis Co. won last night. What matters is the experience and knowledge of the game that the underclassmen are gaining from all of this. This will ultimately, pay off next year and the year after, bringing some pride into this program. Then the one's who thought they were too good to come out to practice and got booted from the team will have to remember that for the rest of their lives while their buddies are all recalling their old playing days.

EXACTLY! Why didn't coaches see this before? Good for Coach Burchett. Monroe Jones will probably make him let them return so no money is lost. Confusedhh: Good luck Pirates!
Sounds like Corky has been a huge addition this year with the Lewis County bunch. Great job keep it up!
These players were pretty good players. One of them even had potential to play at the next level. However, without the drive and heart, it would have been in vain. If they can't make a high school practice, how do they think the practice at college would go?
Coach Burchett is a very good coach and an even better man. He has given these boys plenty of chances. Their loss. The show must and will go on. Good opportunity for some young players to step up and gain some valuable playing time.