Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Backfield in the Mountains
Who does everyone think has the best backfield in the mountains?

Im going to say Prestonsburg is up there returning 2000 yard back in Craynon and 1000 yard back in Setser.

Im sure Belfry will be up there to with Ivan Lee returning.
Prestonsburg, no questions asked.
Three teams come to mind and those are Belfry, Hazard Prestonsburg and I am going to through Bell County in there as well.
bac2369 Wrote:Three teams come to mind and those are Belfry, Hazard Prestonsburg and I am going to through Bell County in there as well.
Bell County's seniors of QB Shanta Zachary (moved from WR); RB Spencer Greer; FB Dustin Goodin.....coupled with Dominic Carton who had a lot of carries and varsity time as a freshman last year...will be quite a powerful running force. Several younger players with speed should also have some carries as well. Look for Bell's backfield to be one of the best they have had in many years. Not focused on just one player, but a multi-talented group who will have to share the carries.
Breathitt County will have a couple good RB's.......
Twitter: @tc_analytics

J. Rose, T. Hardy, T. Brewer. PCHS
Ivan Lee RB, Thomas Varny RB , Charlie Dotson FB
we will be some were on the top
BlackcatFootball Wrote:Prestonsburg, no questions asked.

P'burg has two nice backs, but several mountain teams have as good or better backfields...
jetpilot Wrote:P'burg has two nice backs, but several mountain teams have as good or better backfields...

Hard for Pburg to top the experience and success of Belfry with QB Andrew Elkins, FB Dotson, HB Varney, and Ivan Lee.... Setser and craynon are two excellent backs, but it is very hard to top those 4 combined and the playoff success they helped bring Belfry.
Russell is not in the Mountains but they could definetly be the top backfield in EKY.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Hard for Pburg to top the experience and success of Belfry with QB Andrew Elkins, FB Dotson, HB Varney, and Ivan Lee.... Setser and craynon are two excellent backs, but it is very hard to top those 4 combined and the playoff success they helped bring Belfry.

Agreed. P'burg would have to have two more very good backs in addition to Setser and Craynon to be on Belfry's level.
Estill County. They lead the state in rushing last year and everyone is back so you have to look at them.
basketballwizz Wrote:Estill Co they lead the state in rushing last year and ever one is back so you have to look at them.

You might be right. They aren't flashy so people tend to overlook them. They get a lot of yds.
You people are forgetting that Belfry has more than just three good backs. They have youth and speed, they have some talented freshman too.
Ok, so I know this will be a very random question, and don't mean to get the thread off topic, but I was just wondering. Is the back from Belfry's name pronounced Ivan like you pronounce Ivan Rodriguez, or Ivan with the long I, like in Ice or neither? Just curious?????? I apologize if this question brings more than two response.
EYE- VAN

Think about "Ivan The Terrible", or Russell coach Ivan McGlone
Numbers wise, yes Prestonsburg returns the best backfield in the Mountains. Yes, Prestonsburg has a third option in the backfield and it is senior #40, Blake Meade.

Belfry has a very nice backfield also that returns three players that have a lot of experience.

Corbin returns their entire backfield, and they have playoff experience.
Belfry has the best backfield in the Mts!
MVP2 Wrote:Belfry has the best backfield in the Mts!

Belfry has the best offensive line in the Mountains.

You could take 3 old men from a retirement home and they'd rush for 1000+ yards behind those big hog's.

No offense to Ivan, Charlie, or Thomas.
Numbers wise:
Belfry returns right below 3,000 rushing yards from last season. The Pirates ran for 4818 yards last season and graduate Dustin May and Phillip Hickman, May had 1747 rushing and Hickman was Belfry's 5th leading rusher. Belfry averaged 321.2 yards per game with May, and 204.7 came from other sources.

Pburg ran for 3182 yards last season and only lose Bobby Hughes and his 276 rushing yards. Those stats are only accumulated for 11 games on the KHSAA website. That averages to 289.3 per game.

Pburg returns more yards per game, but Belfry's backs have endured greater success and played much stiffer defensive competition then Pburg. Belfry also
had considerably more games in which their starters only saw a half of football, whereas Pburg was able to let Craynon and Setser run time and time again.

Top 5 Defenses Faced
Pikeville vs. Pikeville- Belfry destroyed Pikeville and had starters pulled by halftime, Pburg won by 15.

Breathitt vs. Breathitt- Belfry had a trackmeet of rushing yards in a blowout, Pburg only scores 7 points and loses

Desales vs. Sheldon Clark- Pburg has success on ground but also loses the game, Belfry blows out SC and scores at will both games.

Perry Central vs. Johnson Central- Pburg only scores 20 points in a loss to PC, JC is a much stiffer test defensively and Belfry scores 28 before pulling starters late in third.

Beechwood vs. Lou. Central- Pburg has some success on ground in first half, but Beechwood pulls away. Belfry has similar mediocre success againsta defense loaded with D-1 players.
jetpilot Wrote:Agreed. P'burg would have to have two more very good backs in addition to Setser and Craynon to be on Belfry's level.

I respectfully disagree...

If Belfry's didn't have the number of talented offensive linemen they did, Dotson and Varney wouldn't be seen as on the same level as Craynon, Setser, and Lee (I don't mention Elkins because of his position - the comparison isn't the same).

Don't get me wrong, Varney and Dotson are really good backs...just not as good as the three mentioned, IMO.

Wink
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Numbers wise:
Belfry returns right below 3,000 rushing yards from last season. The Pirates ran for 4818 yards last season and graduate Dustin May and Phillip Hickman, May had 1747 rushing and Hickman was Belfry's 5th leading rusher. Belfry averaged 321.2 yards per game with May, and 204.7 came from other sources.

Pburg ran for 3182 yards last season and only lose Bobby Hughes and his 276 rushing yards. Those stats are only accumulated for 11 games on the KHSAA website. That averages to 289.3 per game.

Pburg returns more yards per game, but Belfry's backs have endured greater success and played much stiffer defensive competition then Pburg. Belfry also
had considerably more games in which their starters only saw a half of football, whereas Pburg was able to let Craynon and Setser run time and time again.

Top 5 Defenses Faced
Pikeville vs. Pikeville- Belfry destroyed Pikeville and had starters pulled by halftime, Pburg won by 15.

Breathitt vs. Breathitt- Belfry had a trackmeet of rushing yards in a blowout, Pburg only scores 7 points and loses

Desales vs. Sheldon Clark- Pburg has success on ground but also loses the game, Belfry blows out SC and scores at will both games.

Perry Central vs. Johnson Central- Pburg only scores 20 points in a loss to PC, JC is a much stiffer test defensively and Belfry scores 28 before pulling starters late in third.

Beechwood vs. Lou. Central- Pburg has some success on ground in first half, but Beechwood pulls away. Belfry has similar mediocre success againsta defense loaded with D-1 players.

Belfry has a 60-70 players on their team compared to 37 at Prestonsburg also.

Prestonsburg's offensive line isn't nearly as good as Belfry's, but if the two backfield's shared the same offensive line, I'd take Prestonsburg's backfield over Belfry's any day.

But Belfry's line is head & shoulders above Prestonsburg's, thats the difference in the two.
oneijoe Wrote:I respectfully disagree...

If Belfry's didn't have the number of talented offensive linemen they did, Dotson and Varney wouldn't be seen as on the same level as Craynon, Setser, and Lee (I don't mention Elkins because of his position - the comparison isn't the same).

Don't get me wrong, Varney and Dotson are really good backs...just not as good as the three mentioned, IMO.

Wink

I agree!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Numbers wise:
Belfry returns right below 3,000 rushing yards from last season. The Pirates ran for 4818 yards last season and graduate Dustin May and Phillip Hickman,

EKU, you make an airtight case that Belfry's running game was better than Prestonsburg's last year. I agree COMPLETELY. Belfry's offensive line, IMO, was in the top 5 statewide across ALL classifications last year.

However, that's not the question that was asked in the thread. The question is, "which backfield is best?".

Regarding QB's, Elkins is definately better than Burchett. However, I'm hoping to see that gap close up some by season's end.

So...considering the total backfield sans the offensive lines, I see 2 top quality backs on each team.
I never said Belfry was better than Pburg, I said it would be hard to top Belfry after the earlier post saying Pburg hands down. What I wanted to illustrate is when you take the entire backfield as a whole (and you always have to consider an option QB part of a backfield) that Belfry compares very favorable. Burchette and Meade have the tools to really improve and put Pburg's backfield in the elite category, but the same could eb said for Varney and Dotson, whom from their perforamnces last year definately present them as ahead of the curve as of right now.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I never said Belfry was better than Pburg, I said it would be hard to top Belfry after the earlier post saying Pburg hands down. What I wanted to illustrate is when you take the entire backfield as a whole (and you always have to consider an option QB part of a backfield) that Belfry compares very favorable. Burchette and Meade have the tools to really improve and put Pburg's backfield in the elite category, but the same could eb said for Varney and Dotson, whom from their perforamnces last year definately present them as ahead of the curve as of right now.

Well thats the difference. Belfry runs option attack offense which is 90/10 run, and Prestonsburg is 60/40, run.

IMO, when you say backfield you mean the fullback(s) and runningback(s), not quarterbacks.
Paintsville has the best backfield in the mountains! I think there slowest back runs a 5 flat and thats a freshman. There older backs run 4.8 and faster so I think when people play Paintsville they will be surprised or I should say.
JuGgErNaUt9993 Wrote:Paintsville has the best backfield in the mountains! I think there slowest back runs a 5 flat and thats a freshman. There older backs run 4.8 and faster so I think when people play Paintsville they will be surprised or I should say.

They don't even have the best backfield in there county.Smile
JuGgErNaUt9993 Wrote:Paintsville has the best backfield in the mountains! I think there slowest back runs a 5 flat and thats a freshman. There older backs run 4.8 and faster so I think when people play Paintsville they will be surprised or I should say.

I am pretty positive that both Belfry and Pburg are safely under the 5.0 range as well... I'd strongly recommend watching either team play this year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am pretty positive that both Belfry and Pburg are safely under the 5.0 range as well... I'd strongly recommend watching either team play this year.

Agreed... I know of 2 freshmen that both run under a 5.0....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]