Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does Lawrence need a new ball coach
Who all thinks Billy Goldsmith's time is up at LC?
I will be keeping an eye on this one. It does not need to turn into a coach bashing thread. Make your points in a calm and mature manner and keep it clean.
I have been wondering how long it would take to have one of these threads. I myself am curious to see what happens after this season is over. The LC program has struggled every year since Chuck Williams left. Granted, they had the one good year in 2002, the team that Chuke built and left for Bourbon Co. for. Outside of that, football in LC has struggled to say the least. Goldsmith proved back in the late 80's early 90's he could coach. But todays game is alot different now then it was back then. I dont know the answer, but I would say there will be some decision making down from the administration about what direction they are going with this football program. Im not inside the LC program, so I cant comment on what will happen, but I would like to hear some insight on this subject as well.
i think its time to move on and find somebody new
Garry Morris of Russell was at LC for awhile. If Goldsmith is let go, I wonder if he would be interested?
Sponge Bob Wrote:Garry Morris of Russell was at LC for awhile. If Goldsmith is let go, I wonder if he would be interested?

That brings up an interesting point. If Goldsmith was released following this season, who would be some of the canidates LC would attempt to pursue? I know LC doesnt want to go with Williams again, and I cant blame them, but what other successful coaches would want the job. IMO, none of the current assistants would be a good hire, so I would definately look outisde the program for a new start.
IMO the administration could care less what's going on with the football program here in Louisa they have their hands full just trying to get the academics going in the right direction and they still can't seem to be able to do that ! I personally think the world of Billy IMO were he has fell short is getting the proper staff around him and also by not getting the kids out to play for him . And why wouldn't LC want Chucke back I know why all the people around us wouldn't want LC to get him back . Because they know what he can do when he's the head coach and that's WIN . He had won more game's in the state in his last few years here's at LC then any other coach around . But IMO he did lack in sportsmanship and if nothing else that's something that these kids here today at LC does show when they play the game I feel they show class and a lot of it because I know its hard to keep your emotions in control when your having a season or a career like these seniors have had. I think if the administration would take more interest in the football program then we would have seen a different Goldsmith. Right now I think it wouldn't matter who is the head coach with out the upper powers involved then the program isn't going to change . Just like in the business world the change has to start at the top and then filter down . I will continue to support this program until it is no more . Like we all ways have said once a Dawg always a Dawg in the good times and the bad . I'm still looking for LC to when this district this season I think and believe they can still do it . TongueirateSho
Sponge Bob Wrote:Garry Morris of Russell was at LC for awhile. If Goldsmith is let go, I wonder if he would be interested?

I would certainly hope not. I would chain myself to the goalposts in protest of him leaving.Big Grin
Goldsmith is a great man and coach! I'm not sure if he's the problem or all of the "extras" standing on the sidelines.
Goldsmith is a great guy. as a Tomcat i played against him every year and he is always a very nice man, he gets riled up on the sidelines pretty often but who doesnt. i dont know any specifics on his coaching style but, in our games against his teams his decisions on 4th downs were questionable. he'd be a good guy to let go, but i could see it happening pretty soon.
Coach is a top notch guy BUT something has got to give with our football program.
You can like a person and know that he is a really great guy, but I do not want to continue down this path. It may just not be the right "fit" at this time. Nothing personal against anybody, but gee whiz, Lawrence County LOVES their football and I can tell you it is not going in the right direction. No more excuses. It is going to take fresh eyes coming into the program and have the security and confidence not to be influenced by parents, administration, etc and just get the job done.
I think the days of Billy Ball are over. And have been for awhile. It just seems like he doesn't have what he used to! Lawrence County lives for football and I sure hope that the future program straightens up and starts showing the talent of these boys a lot more! Someone needs to step up and get things in line.
Asking our administration to take an interest in the football program is going to go as far as them trying to fix the academics in Lawrence Co, Not going to happen. Personally, I think that the higher ups won't be happy until all sports are gone from here. They just don't care. As for the coaching, I really don't know the answer. I do believe that if Goldsmith were to leave (it would be his decision as the board is not going to ask him to leave), they need to look at Luke Sammons. He deserves a chance if Billy leaves and I think he would do a good job. Whatever happens, the coach needs to start off by getting rid of most of the so-called assistants on the sidelines. Way too many on the sidelines telling the boys different things. Bottom line, you have to support these boys. We have too many kids out there with their lip hanging on the ground they are so down. Too much emphasis on individual play or stats and not near enough "team" spirit going on.
The spread for Lawrence was the ultimate mistake. Lawrence should have stuck with what Lawrence has always done well, Belly. Belfry hasn't changed, Russel hasn't changed, They are still winning. Lawrence county is or was about lining up and bringing it right at you not finese passing. They remind me of Nebraska, Once a dominant running power team now spread and it just isn't the same.
Is it possible that this new offense was built around the starting QB? He is a passer-not a runner. Just a question....
Goldsmith is just too old to be coaching. Time to retire, buddy. Hang it up. This program needs someone like Chuke back to get it back to "true" LC football glory. I'm sick of this crap. He was one heck of a ball coach. Who cares if Goldsmith is a good sport. I would be too if my boys were getting their butts handed to them by teams they should be beating. It might take some of the negative pressure off of my shoulders. But seriously, what ever happened to the I-formation? What ever happened to Belly Read? And a district title? I would be embarrassed to win the district with the season we've had this year. It's pathetic. They need to start from the top with the superintendent and work their way down. Eddie Michael would have never allowed this to happen to a Bulldog team if it were up to him. Pathetic.
Why Do People Think Chuke Is The Answer? If He Was So Wonderful, Why Did He Leave??
IMO, as a completely neutral observer: Waaay too difficult schedule for the talent on this team. Coaching can only take you so far. You gotta have the horses!
Coach Goldsmith isn't interested in getting his players any recognition. I have heard that he turned a few interview requests and won't help some of the people willing to give his kids some recognition.
mandan Wrote:IMO, as a completely neutral observer: Waaay too difficult schedule for the talent on this team. Coaching can only take you so far. You gotta have the horses!
I think you might have hit the nail right on the head we did have as tough of a schedule or tougher than any one around and maybe in LC history. But I will say that this team does have a lot of talent on it but you take this schedule and then put in a new system that none of the kids has ever seen before then you are talking about a big learning curve . Has the coaches done their best well I hope so because I really don't think they like loseing any more then the rest of us do . I am sure if we played teams like Betsy Lane Morgan Co. Lewis Co. then we might have more wins but I feel like LC plays the best teams around because we will not back down from anyone . Yes we have been taken to the wood shed a few times here in the last year or two but LC still walks out ready to rumble every game. We had a large mountian to climb this year and it would have been easy to just turn and walk away but these kids just looked up and started climbing and they have never quit . These kids has a least two games left this year and maybe more . I would like for all the fans that will continue to get behind them because its just about over for these seniors they have worked hard so it shouldn't be to much to ask to get out and support them just a little while longer . :popcorn:
Midee1 Wrote:I would certainly hope not. I would chain myself to the goalposts in protest of him leaving.Big Grin

That will not happen, for 1, he made it clear that he wasn't going anywhere untill his daughter was done with school or if then, that how much he loves russell
Dawg@heart Wrote:Is it possible that this new offense was built around the starting QB? He is a passer-not a runner. Just a question....

Very well could be true Dawg, and you no what i am talking about
Coach Goldsmith and his family are some of the nicest folks you could ever want to meet. I am sorry that things don't seem to be working out on the field as well as we would all like. For those who would replace him, I would ask, "Who would come here?". With the current state of affairs it would be very difficult to attract a top notch coach. We just don't have the players to compete at the level of competition we had scheduled this year. Right now we have a good sophmore class. We have some skill players in the freshman class, with a couple of exceptions the junior and senior classes have failed to produce at the level you need to compete, this was due to transfers and grades. Maybe it is time for Billy to step down. I really don't know if it is him or the supporting cast. If he does leave, I would vote for Chuke Williams to come back.
It would be a loss for the Goldsmith family to leave Louisa-they are the top of the list of great people to have in your community and your school.
I can't say that I think he should hang up coaching but I will go on with my opinion that he has lost his edge and that edge is what won games in the past. He does have the talent on this team, maybe not the size, but talent yes. And I am a firm believer that you CANNOT motivate a team to win when you just don't "feel" it yourself. I also believe that the best players are not being used in some positions, (not just the QB-old story). Season's about over and its been a tough one and I couldn't be prouder than I am. I will be behind them 200% at BC on Nov 9. It's anybody's game....
Dawg@heart Wrote:It would be a loss for the Goldsmith family to leave Louisa-they are the top of the list of great people to have in your community and your school.
I can't say that I think he should hang up coaching but I will go on with my opinion that he has lost his edge and that edge is what won games in the past. He does have the talent on this team, maybe not the size, but talent yes. And I am a firm believer that you CANNOT motivate a team to win when you just don't "feel" it yourself. I also believe that the best players are not being used in some positions, (not just the QB-old story). Season's about over and its been a tough one and I couldn't be prouder than I am. I will be behind them 200% at BC on Nov 9. It's anybody's game....

Couldn't have said it any better myself!!!:Thumbs:
What would it take to get Billy fired up?I would take him over just about anybody when he was so fired up because he made average players good.Dawgmom tell your daughter to watch them redlights.hehe
Dawgmom are you all going to the game?
catwoman Wrote:Dawgmom are you all going to the game?

Unfortunately we can't make it. Hubby is working 12 hours today and won't get home til after 7, plus he's battling the flu. Will be on the couch with ears glued to the radio cheering our Dawgs on.
If Goldsmith decides to step down, or LC kindly asks him too. I think they have a great possible head coach on the sidelines already. Coach Cecil I think would be great, he was at Russell for awhile, and was awesome. He knows his football and his family is in LC. He's great with the kids and could get them to come out and play. PLus he knows his football and stays fired up and keeps the kids fired up, which is very important in HS football. He may not be interested in it, but if I was the LC AD thats who I would ask.