Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Laurel 54 Harlan Ind. 52
Harlan Ind. led by 10 late in this one and let it slip away. They have given up leads like this on more than one occasion this season. With a couple of good ball handlers, it seems as if the coach would have some kind of stall offense, but I haven’t seen a lot of adjustments from this coach the few times I have watched them. This is one they should have won.
South got lucky, felt like they got away with several fouls that could’ve changed direction of the game. But survive and advance, someone told me South had kids with flu so that may have been only reason this game was close. Either way hope kids get better.
My pick for top player in the region at the moment and his squad go down. Remember Akal's name. Serious talent.
Cromer was clearly not himself last night, the flu bug would make sense because South looked gassed early. The problem going forward is they don’t have a lot of time to get better.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:Harlan Ind. led by 10 late in this one and let it slip away. They have given up leads like this on more than one occasion this season. With a couple of good ball handlers, it seems as if the coach would have some kind of stall offense, but I haven’t seen a lot of adjustments from this coach the few times I have watched them. This is one they should have won.

This assessment is spot on!
South Laurel was beat. But the last 3 minutes of the game south outplayed Harlan Independent. Two awesome games last night.
Seems like every year at the arena there are games like this one but the underdog can never pull it off.
This year Harlan.
Last year Barbourville had North on the ropes.
Year before Lynn Camp had North.
Year before that Lynn Camp had Harlan County beat the year they won region.

Would love to see eventually one of these schools pull it off.
Congratulations to Coach Davis and South Laurel. Coach Akal has done a tremendous job for Harlan and they have a bright future. South won all the previous meetings with South Laurel by double digits so Akal and his team were more prepared for this one and it showed. Great learning experience for next year.
Dribble Drive Wrote:Congratulations to Coach Davis and South Laurel. Coach Akal has done a tremendous job for Harlan and they have a bright future. South won all the previous meetings with South Laurel by double digits so Akal and his team were more prepared for this one and it showed. Great learning experience for next year.

I’m not dismissing the fact that SL was dealing with several of their players battling the flu, including Cromer. I think a healthy South squad does win that game by double digits again. The talent level at Harlan has been better the last few years, so to say that Akal did a tremendous job is an overstatement. They finished 13-17 this season and lost several tight games because he basically rolls it out and does not adjust. A lot of the local fans are really disappointed in watching him continue the same mistakes game after game, year after year. Just a few weeks ago, they basically lost the same way to Harlan County. They lead by 14 with about a minute left in the third, and lost because he just sits back and watches his guys fire up threes. They took a couple late in last nights game they had no business taking...that’s on him. It’s hard to believe that you have several guards that are good ball handlers and you can’t protect a 10 point lead with a few minutes left. Disappointing season, if you ask me.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:I’m not dismissing the fact that SL was dealing with several of their players battling the flu, including Cromer. I think a healthy South squad does win that game by double digits again. The talent level at Harlan has been better the last few years, so to say that Akal did a tremendous job is an overstatement. They finished 13-17 this season and lost several tight games because he basically rolls it out and does not adjust. A lot of the local fans are really disappointed in watching him continue the same mistakes game after game, year after year. Just a few weeks ago, they basically lost the same way to Harlan County. They lead by 14 with about a minute left in the third, and lost because he just sits back and watches his guys fire up threes. They took a couple late in last nights game they had no business taking...that’s on him. It’s hard to believe that you have several guards that are good ball handlers and you can’t protect a 10 point lead with a few minutes left. Disappointing season, if you ask me.
:biglmao:
TheProfessor33 Wrote:I’m not dismissing the fact that SL was dealing with several of their players battling the flu, including Cromer. I think a healthy South squad does win that game by double digits again. The talent level at Harlan has been better the last few years, so to say that Akal did a tremendous job is an overstatement. They finished 13-17 this season and lost several tight games because he basically rolls it out and does not adjust. A lot of the local fans are really disappointed in watching him continue the same mistakes game after game, year after year. Just a few weeks ago, they basically lost the same way to Harlan County. They lead by 14 with about a minute left in the third, and lost because he just sits back and watches his guys fire up threes. They took a couple late in last nights game they had no business taking...that’s on him. It’s hard to believe that you have several guards that are good ball handlers and you can’t protect a 10 point lead with a few minutes left. Disappointing season, if you ask me.
This is quiet comical, sounds like some sour grapes. I sure haven’t heard any grumbling, on a lot of excitement for what the future holds. Started 1 freshman and 3 Sophs, I feel pretty good about where this is headed. Oh yeah, this team did not have a bunch of great ball handlers . Really u have 1 with 1 other one that is decent. Did we choke up last night, probably so. Started playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That’s okay, we will learn from it and move on. With 2 kids that have size coming in next year, this team will be a lot of fun to watch. See ya back at The Arena next year
JerryGarcia Wrote:This is quiet comical, sounds like some sour grapes. I sure haven’t heard any grumbling, on a lot of excitement for what the future holds. Started 1 freshman and 3 Sophs, I feel pretty good about where this is headed. Oh yeah, this team did not have a bunch of great ball handlers . Really u have 1 with 1 other one that is decent. Did we choke up last night, probably so. Started playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That’s okay, we will learn from it and move on. With 2 kids that have size coming in next year, this team will be a lot of fun to watch. See ya back at The Arena next year

I don’t know what would be comical. I stated facts. The team WAS 13-17. He did BLOW leads. They DID take a couple of terrible threes late in the game when they didn’t need them. Apparently, he hasn’t installed any kind of late game offense to chew up the clock when you have a lead. And, the games I have watched, which is maybe 5 or 6, I didn’t see him make one adjustment on offense or defense. So, you can call it sour grapes if you want, but you sound like a homer. Anyone that is excited about 13-17, with a team that probably provided his best shot, you’be set the bar very low. Don’t under estimate the loss of the Eldridge kid. Without him, this team probably doesn’t win 7 or 8 games.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:I don’t know what would be comical. I stated facts. The team WAS 13-17. He did BLOW leads. They DID take a couple of terrible threes late in the game when they didn’t need them. Apparently, he hasn’t installed any kind of late game offense to chew up the clock when you have a lead. And, the games I have watched, which is maybe 5 or 6, I didn’t see him make one adjustment on offense or defense. So, you can call it sour grapes if you want, but you sound like a homer. Anyone that is excited about 13-17, with a team that probably provided his best shot, you’be set the bar very low. Don’t under estimate the loss of the Eldridge kid. Without him, this team probably doesn’t win 7 or 8 games.
Seeing your posts in n here make me think ur the actual homer. Ur constantly bashing Coach Akal and praising those guys up the road. When Harlan wins u automatically say “ It had nothing to do with coaching.” I got news for u. Harlan about beat what was suppose to be best team in region and did it with 1 decent big guy and a bunch of midgits who are not great ball handlers. The region is just not very good and that’s the facts. Oh yeah I believe u were the guy who said Pietrowski can’t coach either.
TheProfessor33 Wrote:I don’t know what would be comical. I stated facts. The team WAS 13-17. He did BLOW leads. They DID take a couple of terrible threes late in the game when they didn’t need them. Apparently, he hasn’t installed any kind of late game offense to chew up the clock when you have a lead. And, the games I have watched, which is maybe 5 or 6, I didn’t see him make one adjustment on offense or defense. So, you can call it sour grapes if you want, but you sound like a homer. Anyone that is excited about 13-17, with a team that probably provided his best shot, you’be set the bar very low. Don’t under estimate the loss of the Eldridge kid. Without him, this team probably doesn’t win 7 or 8 games.

Eldridge was undervalued. He averages double digit rebounds and is a good shooter. Harlan returns a lot of guys but zero size next season. They blew leads like young teams do but that’s due to their style. Anytime your goal is to shoot as many or more 3s than twos you’ll do that. It’s the same reason it’s hard to put them away. If they get hot they can beat anyone. I’d say their record is more indicative of being without Akal for 1/3 of the season. It’ll be interesting to see what they do with only two shooters next season.
One decent guy?? Ok, you don’t know what you’re talking about.
I think you could reverse Harlan's win-loss record if Akal had not been injured. I think Harlan had a good season with four sophomores starting most of the year. I think I was one of the few that had them in the top 10 for 2020 this time last year after losing six years.
I should have said losing six seniors from last year.
I agree with most of what you’re saying..the record probably would’ve been better. But, you can’t ignore his lack of adjusting and late game failures. That is on the coach. He rolls it out, spreads the floor, and shoots a ton of threes, which is fine, but you have to be able to adjust during these tournament games and he hasn’t shown he can do that.
JerryGarcia Wrote:This is quiet comical, sounds like some sour grapes. I sure haven’t heard any grumbling, on a lot of excitement for what the future holds. Started 1 freshman and 3 Sophs, I feel pretty good about where this is headed. Oh yeah, this team did not have a bunch of great ball handlers . Really u have 1 with 1 other one that is decent. Did we choke up last night, probably so. Started playing not to lose instead of playing to win. That’s okay, we will learn from it and move on. With 2 kids that have size coming in next year, this team will be a lot of fun to watch. See ya back at The Arena next year

We might see you in at the arena, but you’ll be gone after the first round, because you lack in the coaching department. You can come see HC play for a championship at the arena tonight..we would love to have you.
(03-07-2020, 03:15 AM)TheProfessor33 Wrote:
Dribble Drive Wrote:Congratulations to Coach Davis and South Laurel. Coach Akal has done a tremendous job for Harlan and they have a bright future. South won all the previous meetings with South Laurel by double digits so Akal and his team were more prepared for this one and it showed. Great learning experience for next year.

I’m not dismissing the fact that SL was dealing with several of their players battling the flu, including Cromer.  I think a healthy South squad does win that game by double digits again.  The talent level at Harlan has been better the last few years, so to say that Akal did a tremendous job is an overstatement.  They finished 13-17 this season and lost several tight games because he basically rolls it out and does not adjust.  A lot of the local fans are really disappointed in watching him continue the same mistakes game after game, year after year. Just a few weeks ago, they basically lost the same way to Harlan County.  They lead by 14 with about a minute left in the third, and lost because he just sits back and watches his guys fire up threes.  They took a couple late in last nights game they had no business taking...that’s on him.  It’s hard to believe that you have several guards that are good ball handlers and you can’t protect a 10 point lead with a few minutes left.  Disappointing season, if you ask me.

(03-06-2020, 05:29 AM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: Harlan Ind. led by 10 late in this one and let it slip away.  They have given up leads like this on more than one occasion this season.  With a couple of good ball handlers, it seems as if the coach would have some kind of stall offense, but I haven’t seen a lot of adjustments from this coach the few times I have watched them.  This is one they should have won.
Never bashed Coach Akal?
So, this is “blasting” him? I don’t remember this post, but reading it, I wouldn’t consider that “blasting”. To me, that’s more of a critique. You have some thin skin!!
(03-07-2020, 03:15 AM)TheProfessor33 Wrote:
Dribble Drive Wrote:Congratulations to Coach Davis and South Laurel. Coach Akal has done a tremendous job for Harlan and they have a bright future. South won all the previous meetings with South Laurel by double digits so Akal and his team were more prepared for this one and it showed. Great learning experience for next year.
Here’s another one
I’m not dismissing the fact that SL was dealing with several of their players battling the flu, including Cromer.  I think a healthy South squad does win that game by double digits again.  The talent level at Harlan has been better the last few years, so to say that Akal did a tremendous job is an overstatement.  They finished 13-17 this season and lost several tight games because he basically rolls it out and does not adjust.  A lot of the local fans are really disappointed in watching him continue the same mistakes game after game, year after year. Just a few weeks ago, they basically lost the same way to Harlan County.  They lead by 14 with about a minute left in the third, and lost because he just sits back and watches his guys fire up threes.  They took a couple late in last nights game they had no business taking...that’s on him.  It’s hard to believe that you have several guards that are good ball handlers and you can’t protect a 10 point lead with a few minutes left.  Disappointing season, if you ask me.

(03-07-2020, 11:13 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I agree with most of what you’re saying..the record probably would’ve been better.  But, you can’t ignore his lack of adjusting and late game failures.  That is on the coach.  He rolls it out, spreads the floor, and shoots a ton of threes, which is fine, but you have to be able to adjust during these tournament games and he hasn’t shown he can do that.
Need I continue?
Continue all you want. I stand by what I posted during this time. That team is too talented to never have won a game in the regional tournament.
Teaching high school kids to just “run offense” is harder then it sounds. Turnovers, bad shots, and throwing into traps seem to happen to often with young teams. Really frustrating especially when you are up 10.