Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 44, Letcher Central 22
Final from Robinson Creek.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Congrats to SV
Congratulations to Shelby Valley
I was pleasantly surprised at how well Valley looked in this one.

They seemed outplay Letcher in the first half, yet the score did not reflect it. SV had one TD called back by a penalty (followed immediately by a lost fumble), and had another penalty when they were about to score at the 2-yard line (a drive which ended in turnover on downs). Instead of being up by a couple scores, it went into the break all tied up.

The second half was all Valley, though, as they scored a TD on all 4 possessions. Dalton Meade was the catalyst, as I believe he was responsible for 4 of Valley's 6 TD's in the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Not much discussion on this game, lol.

I will say that a couple areas that looked suspect in the scrimmage against Hazard seemed much better in this game. Hazard's D-line had owned the line against SV's O-line, with very few holes to run through. But Valley's running game was able to get untracked early and often in this one. As long as they were running north-south, the Wildcats were able to pick up good yardage. They still need to shore up their blocking assignments for outside running plays, lest they become a little too predictable.

The other area that looked iffy in the scrimmage was pass defense. Hard to say too much here, as LCC only attempted 6 passes all night. However, Letcher's QB was only 2 of 6 for 14 total yards, with no TD's and 1 INT. So there was at least some good to build upon.

Next up is a stern test against 3A Pike Central, who just walloped P-Burg 53-7.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]