Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please send me a copy of your local NEWS paper high school football preview
As I do every season I am asking for everyone to send me a copy of their local papers high school football preview.

I will post any duplicates I receive so that anyone who wants them can have them.

D.L.BURNWORTH
P.O.BOX 1107
BUCKEYE LAKE, OHIO
Tri-County football players who will step up this year

By Les Dixon Staff Writer

Jul 27, 2016

Dalton Cook

File photo

The Tri-County is loaded with talented backs in the backfield. Sophomore Dalton Cook is another standout, and the way he goes Lynn Camp will go this season.

share image

Our local Tri-County football teams are expected to have big seasons this fall, and to do so, they’re going to have to have some players standout on offense.

Last season, Corbin advanced the furthest in the playoffs behind the arm and legs of quarterback Cameron Sizemore while 2015 Times-Tribune Player of the Year Steven Nelson rushed for more than 2,200 yards to lead the Jaguars to a school-record 11 wins and an appearance in the Class 5A, Region 4 finals. Luke Woods rushed for more than 1,000 yards and passed for more than 1,000 yards for Whitley County while Donovan Arthur’s skills in the backfield led the Panthers to a deep playoff run.

We will be seeing some other players step to the forefront this season with players such as Nelson and Woods graduating, but the big question is — who will those players be?

Corbin Redhounds

If the Redhounds are going to be successful on offense, then it’s going to be because both quarterback Cameron Sizemore and wide receiver AJ Moore will have big seasons. Sizemore completed 104-of-180 pass attempts last season for 1,271 yards, 21 touchdowns and seven interceptions, and look for him to improve on those numbers through the air this season. Sizemore really hurts teams with his legs as well. He rushed for 523 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

AJ Moore was Sizemore’s main passing target last season and should be the main one this season after grabbing 46 catches for 663 yards and 12 touchdowns. The duo of Sizemore and Moore could be the most dangerous in the mountains.

Knox Central

I wasn’t able to get the statistics for tailback Jermel Carton and fullback Donovan Arthur, but I do know they’re two of the best backs in the mountains. Arthur rushed for more than 1,000 yards last season, and is probably the “toughest” football player in the Tri-County. If the Panthers are going to be successful, it’s going to be because of the one-two punch ground attack of Knox Central. Carton has speed, speed and more speed, and is ready to have a breakout season this fall. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both of these backs rush for more than, 1,000 yards apiece this season.

Lynn Camp

The Tri-County is loaded with talented backs in the backfield. Sophomore Dalton Cook is another standout, and the way he goes Lynn Camp will go this season. The Wildcats have always been known of producing top-notch backs, and Cook is another one that is talented as can be. As a freshman in 2015, he carried the ball 186 times for 1,390 yards and 14 touchdowns.

Quarterback Dylan Brown is also a dangerous threat, and his ability to keep teams honest with his passing skills is what will make Lynn Camp tough to beat this season. He completed 48-of-112 pass attempts for 531 yards, six touchdowns and seven interceptions.

North Laurel

The Jaguars lost a lot of offense with the graduation of Steven Nelson, who ran for more than 2,000 yards and more than 30 touchdowns. But the cupboard isn’t bare at North Laurel.

Junior quarterback Cole McWhorter had a breakout season in 2015, carrying the ball 145 times for 994 yards and 16 touchdowns. He also completed 32-of-81 pass attempts for 624 yards, seven touchdowns and four interceptions. Look for McWhorter to improve on his numbers this season.

Junior tailback Jose Rodriguez will be asked to step up at the tailback position with Nelson gone, and I believe he can do the job. He ran form 470 yards and three touchdowns in limited action last season.

South Laurel

The Cardinals possess two of the best skill players in the Tri-County in Matt Harp and Jared Grubb. Harp ran for 1,120 yards last season on 221 carries while reaching pay dirt nine times. He will play a big role in South Laurel’s success this season, and so will Grubb. Grubb is a dual threat, who carried the ball 64 times for 381 yards and five scores while leading the team with 36 receptions, 611 receiving yards and four touchdowns. If the Cardinals are going to be successful, both Harp and Grubb must stay healthy this fall.

Whitley County

The Colonels lost more than 80 percent of their offense alone when quarterback Luke Woods graduated. Now coach Jason Chappell will switch his focus to quarterback Dylan Wilson, who completed 7-of-8 pass attempts for 78 yards and a touchdown last season. Look for tailback Nathan Jackson to improve on his numbers from last season (142 cadres, 847 rushing yards and 11 rushing touchdowns) while wide out Tyler Downs will be a key receiver for Wilson. Downs had 37 receptions, 502 receiving yards and three touchdowns last season.

Williamsburg

The Yellow Jackets will try to regain the district championship this fall, and to do so, quarterback Alec Poore and receiver Hagan Hawn must have big season’s once again.

Poore turned in a fantastic season as a sophomore in 2015, completing 96-of-213 pass attempts for 1369 yards, 15 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He is just going to get better and better as the season progresses. Hawn and a solid junior campaign, and look for him to go out with a bang. He had 38 receptions that went for 591 yards and six touchdowns on the ground last season.
t/t/t
Wanted to say thanks to those sending them.