Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#8 Paducah Tilghman @ #2 Elizabethtown
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:E-town's, nor anybody schedule for that matter helps determine what you do in November. I get its a fun thing to talk about, but playing people better than you doesn't make you bigger, faster, stronger. It doesn't make your players better. All it does is give you a barometer to measure yourself and how "good" you really are.

I take that back....there are one or two ways it might "make you better" and that's from a mental aspect. If you beat and/or play a 'big boy' close, it can give your team a sense of "we've seen what we can do when we play the best" (which, just as what comes from winning, gives amother sense of confidence).

Schedule talk is fun, but way overblown.

I disagree. You don't learn, you don't improve, by playing sub par opponents. All that accomplishes is it gives you a false sense of security.

You improve by playing tougher competition. By competing against players who are as good or better than you. If you play against crap all year how do you learn to block a premier pass rusher? How do you learn to cover a really good receiver? How do you learn to tackle a quick running back in the open field?

Playing against tough competition is the best way to prepare for what you will see as you go deeper into the playoffs.
One of the more eloquent defenses of playing a cherry picked schedule that I have heard. The fact is Etown was a 3A also ran until the KHSAA moved them out of Central's district, away from playing Bell County, and into puff land. They may well beat Tilghman, which can lay game day eggs with the best of them. But Tilghman loses its games to teams like Central Hardin, Mayfield and Reitz and Highlands. Amazing that PT 200 miles away was able to get a game with Central Hardin and Etown wasn't.

A ship that stays inside the harbor is always safe and a schedule with opponents going 45-73 attests to that.
Neither of their schedules will have an effect on the outcome tomorrow night. But, again, it's fun to talk about and is a popular thing to say.
Bigblue78 Wrote:I disagree. You don't learn, you don't improve, by playing sub par opponents. All that accomplishes is it gives you a false sense of security.

You improve by playing tougher competition. By competing against players who are as good or better than you. If you play against crap all year how do you learn to block a premier pass rusher? How do you learn to cover a really good receiver? How do you learn to tackle a quick running back in the open field?

Playing against tough competition is the best way to prepare for what you will see as you go deeper into the playoffs.

By your 2nd paragraph, I take it you know nothing about North Hardin HS, their dynasty of a Track Team and many of which (sprinters) that play for them.

Paducah Tilghman does not have more speed that North Hardin. Fast? Just as much? I'd say yes. More? No.

Bardstown wasn't, nor are they ever lacking in the speed department.

Glasgow the same.

As far as being able to tackle in the open field, I hate to break it to you, but being able to do that or not goes way beyond seeing it a couple times a year. Those traits are majority God given.

You'll have to pardon me, as you can see, regurgitating what's popular and what sounds good isn't exactly how I roll on certain topics.
Show up Friday and check them out. Then you will know who is faster.
E-Towns season ends Friday night

Tilghman 27
E-Town 20
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:By your 2nd paragraph, I take it you know nothing about North Hardin HS, their dynasty of a Track Team and many of which (sprinters) that play for them.

Paducah Tilghman does not have more speed that North Hardin. Fast? Just as much? I'd say yes. More? No.

Bardstown wasn't, nor are they ever lacking in the speed department.

Glasgow the same.

As far as being able to tackle in the open field, I hate to break it to you, but being able to do that or not goes way beyond seeing it a couple times a year. Those traits are majority God given.

You'll have to pardon me, as you can see, regurgitating what's popular and what sounds good isn't exactly how I roll on certain topics.

You have misunderstood my main point and if so the fault might be mine for not making it clearly enough.

I was not specifically referring to Etown and their schedule in my comments, I was speaking generally in response to your bizarre claim that the difficulty of a team's regular season schedule "doesn't make your players better"

Let me try to restate my point. A football team can only improve so much by playing inferior teams thru out the season. The improvement is more dramatic earlier in the year, but as the season wears on there will be a diminishing return.

Alternatively, take the team that plays a tougher schedule during the regular season. They play quality opponents who are as good or even a little better than themselves. They are tested in the process, they learn from their mistakes, and they get better. This is so basic and incontrovertible that I cant believe I am having to type it.

I would much rather be the coach of a team going into the playoffs that was well tested during the season than to be the coach of a team that piled up a bunch of wins beating up on inferior teams.

You can accuse me of regurgitating what is popular if you like, but some times things are popular because they are true.

P.S. oh and not that it matters, but you seem to be unaware that PT has 29 Track State Championships which I would guess is a few more than North Hardin, Glasgow and Bardstown combined, no?
Very aware of PTs track program.

Again, it sounds good. Their schedules will have zero effect on the outcome of the game Friday night.
The only thing about Etowns schedule is that it makes you wonder how good they really are. That's it.

Which to that I can't agree more on, as I think I stated myself from the jump.
mysonis55 Wrote:Show up Friday and check them out. Then you will know who is faster.

I've got another game to go to right now. North Hardin has won two of the last three Class 3A state track titles and Tilghman had one, while finishing right behind first in another couple years. Potato potatoe IMO between the two of them at this stage.

I wouldn't compare track speed to the football teams if it wasn't for both having a large number of kids that do both.

I personally think an E-town win will be an upset, despite playing at home, but their schedules will mean nothing come Friday night.
Lookin' like there was some real hard feelings before Etown snagged the football players from Collins. Ouch.

http://www.ksba.org/protected/ArticleVie...&dasi=3G32
IMO, E-town is vastly overrated and PT is the classic underachiever. Game is a toss up.
If the info I learned on here is correct about Etown's coach being the teacher to PT's coach, I think this even holds a more interesting side note. I still think PT takes it and I think speed and great teaching has a lot to do with it.
mysonis55 Wrote:If the info I learned on here is correct about Etown's coach being the teacher to PT's coach, I think this even holds a more interesting side note. I still think PT takes it and I think speed and great teaching has a lot to do with it.

100% true. He and Spencer County's coach, Mike Marksberry were both assistants of his at Nelson County for some years.

Interesting note.

In Hardin County, there will be three games going on across three different classes:

3A Elizabethtown vs. Tilghman
4A John Hardin vs. Spencer County
6A Central Hardin vs. Meade County

All six of them run the Wing T (Meade will also get in the wishbone some).
ETown has played an easier schedule than Tilghman, but they have taken care of their business by going undefeated. I think it would be fools gold to go into Etown looking for a cakewalk because of their schedule.

Both teams have the ability to put up points and I look for this one to be a high scoring affair, as long as PT keeps its focus and plays all 4 quarters. I say the key to the outcome will be Etowns defense.
I believe Etown will be able to score on PT, but how will their defense hold up to PT's offense who tends to score faster?
If they can stop PT, it should be tight, but if PT breaks a couple more plays, they will pull away late.

I am going to go with PT with a couple of late scores. 45-35
Should be a good on with some fireworks!
It's getting close to game time. I just wanna say from here in Mayfield, "good luck Tornado's".