Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Desales 26 Newport Central Catholic 0 - 2A State Championship
baseball1974 Wrote:I think Shelby Valley would've beat the NCC team that showed up today

Please don't try and take away from our win. I can't imagine how bad we would have beaten SV.
DeSales was very impressive. I honestly think they would have won every Class except 4A and 6A. Offense was a bit pedestrian once Pirtle was banged up, but defensively they were the 2nd best team outside of Trinity.

NewCath didn't stand a chance.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:I was told this weekend that Desales has kids from 9 different counties! Including some that live in Indiana!

Anyone see anything unfair about that? They should have to play up to 5A or 6A.

Considering they're having to compete with Trinity, Saint Xavier, Holy Cross, CAL, as well as every other private school from Louisville and southern Indiana. They are an all-boys school. Can you imagine recruiting kids to come to your school and then having to tell a teenage boy that he won't be able to even look at a female until college? My answer would've been no thank you very quickly. DeSales has a great reputation academically, but they also have to compete with the big time traditions of other private schools in your same area, and one having a national championship trophy for one doesn't hurt either. What I'm trying to get at is DeSales can't compete with those schools in getting the top athletes every year. They're are actually the 5th choice for most high school athletes behind Trinity, Saint Xavier, CAL, and Holy Cross. That's why I think it is such an astronomical accomplishment. I realize everyone or some rather want to make the private schools have their own state title, but theyre just not that dominant over other programs to warrant that. That aspect became very apparent to me when I first started writing a column and I was covering the 2008 baseball state championship tournament. At the time, there was only 8 schools from different regions, some prvate some not. There were also schools from every level on enrollment. Everybody got to watch a Lawrence County team with less players and only a fraction of enrollment than anyone there had, go down to the wire with PRP (who quadrupled their enrollment) in the state title game. Ill also add they did it on zero rest on the back end of a double header. In the semifinal game a few hours before they shutout Lexington Catholic, a team that everyone knows recruits every year. Here was a team that didn't ask for a separate tournament for the private schools, or even to be separated by class. They simply had a great team that played together and had a lot of heart. I will take a good program and coaching staff over great recruits any day.
baseball1974 Wrote:Considering they're having to compete with Trinity, Saint Xavier, Holy Cross, CAL, as well as every other private school from Louisville and southern Indiana. They are an all-boys school. Can you imagine recruiting kids to come to your school and then having to tell a teenage boy that he won't be able to even look at a female until college? My answer would've been no thank you very quickly. DeSales has a great reputation academically, but they also have to compete with the big time traditions of other private schools in your same area, and one having a national championship trophy for one doesn't hurt either. What I'm trying to get at is DeSales can't compete with those schools in getting the top athletes every year. They're are actually the 5th choice for most high school athletes behind Trinity, Saint Xavier, CAL, and Holy Cross. That's why I think it is such an astronomical accomplishment. I realize everyone or some rather want to make the private schools have their own state title, but theyre just not that dominant over other programs to warrant that. That aspect became very apparent to me when I first started writing a column and I was covering the 2008 baseball state championship tournament. At the time, there was only 8 schools from different regions, some prvate some not. There were also schools from every level on enrollment. Everybody got to watch a Lawrence County team with less players and only a fraction of enrollment than anyone there had, go down to the wire with PRP (who quadrupled their enrollment) in the state title game. Ill also add they did it on zero rest on the back end of a double header. In the semifinal game a few hours before they shutout Lexington Catholic, a team that everyone knows recruits every year. Here was a team that didn't ask for a separate tournament for the private schools, or even to be separated by class. They simply had a great team that played together and had a lot of heart. I will take a good program and coaching staff over great recruits any day.

You think we are the 5th choice? Your waaaaaay out of touch. I can tell you we are not behind CAL, and especially Holy Cross. They will be lucky to keep their doors open. We just had the largest open house we've ever had. Trinity, and X will always get theirs. We are selling the small class sizes, and the brotherhood. Not a coincidence we are getting kids who traditionally would have gone to X. DeSales chooses to stay where we are number wise. We don't want to become a big box school.
ColtPride Wrote:You think we are the 5th choice? Your waaaaaay out of touch. I can tell you we are not behind CAL, and especially Holy Cross. They will be lucky to keep their doors open. We just had the largest open house we've ever had. Trinity, and X will always get theirs. We are selling the small class sizes, and the brotherhood. Not a coincidence we are getting kids who traditionally would have gone to X. DeSales chooses to stay where we are number wise. We don't want to become a big box school.

Good. I'm glad I'm way off. I was going by what I know of from years back and in other sports. I've always rooted for DeSales. Doug Strothman is a great guy and anytime I've ever been around anyone from DeSales whether it being recruiting or just in general, they've always been a class act program. They are the best I've seen at supporting their student-athletes. They always bend over backwards for their students and it does seen to create a family atmosphere. I would love to see this domino into other sports as well.
NKFBF91: For NCC he is the gift that just keeps on giving.
baseball1974 Wrote:Good. I'm glad I'm way off. I was going by what I know of from years back and in other sports. I've always rooted for DeSales. Doug Strothman is a great guy and anytime I've ever been around anyone from DeSales whether it being recruiting or just in general, they've always been a class act program. They are the best I've seen at supporting their student-athletes. They always bend over backwards for their students and it does seen to create a family atmosphere. I would love to see this domino into other sports as well.

Bingo! That's why we are where we are. We have made ourselves a very attractive choice to kids who excel in athletics but don't necessarily want to deal with the big school issues at Trinity, and X. We are building something special.
ColtPride Wrote:Bingo! That's why we are where we are. We have made ourselves a very attractive choice to kids who excel in athletics but don't necessarily want to deal with the big school issues at Trinity, and X. We are building something special.

DeSales has some serious upgrades to their campus and athletic facilities planned if I am not mistaken?
That is correct. New football stadium.
So there is no denial of the students from 9 counties. Baseball1974 you actually helped prove my case that there is a distinct advantage for the privates. I'm so sorry you have to compete with X and T. YOU LIVE IN THE MOST POPULATED COUNTY IN THE STATE. You have won the last two state titles and you openly brag about keeping your #s down to stay in 2A. You are getting a new stadium. I'm happy for you. Surely that won't help with getting more kids.

I'm happy for your success. You have great coaches, fans, and kids. But you are the biggest school and the new 2A and you have a distinct advantage over some of the other schools you play.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:So there is no denial of the students from 9 counties. Baseball1974 you actually helped prove my case that there is a distinct advantage for the privates. I'm so sorry you have to compete with X and T. YOU LIVE IN THE MOST POPULATED COUNTY IN THE STATE. You have won the last two state titles and you openly brag about keeping your #s down to stay in 2A. You are getting a new stadium. I'm happy for you. Surely that won't help with getting more kids.

I'm happy for your success. You have great coaches, fans, and kids. But you are the biggest school and the new 2A and you have a distinct advantage over some of the other schools you play.

Did you not see where i said no way we are getting kids from 9 counties. Not happening. I did say we get a few kids from Indiana. But that's part of the Louisville metro area. I'm not going to get into the public vs private debate again. Not seeing the advantage over the other schools we play. We are number wise right there with what 2A says we need to be at. We've had no football field of our own, since the school opened. Not seeing the distinct advantages here.
Where DeSales is located there is no way people are commuting from 9 counties.

I could see Bullitt and Spencer, and maybe Shelby (on the far West side), and maybe Hardin (far noth).... but any other county would be potentially around an hour commute each way due to traffic.

It's not like DeSales is right next to an Interstate either.
How do you think private schools get students? Usually, they have a big event on a weekend and invite middle schoolers and others to come check out their school. Every department and sport has a booth and the kids go around and visit. Whether they are from Louisville or not doesn't matter. That's their livelihood and how they keep the doors open.
baseball1974 Wrote:How do you think private schools get students? Usually, they have a big event on a weekend and invite middle schoolers and others to come check out their school. Every department and sport has a booth and the kids go around and visit. Whether they are from Louisville or not doesn't matter. That's their livelihood and how they keep the doors open.

Then it is up to the public schools to offer something to retain the kids. People live to talk about Private schools and recruiting. Everyone forgets how rigid authority is at most of those schools and how involved parents are. That is the major difference between most private and public schools. It is reflected in their sports.
Sweet Cake Wrote:NKFBF91: For NCC he is the gift that just keeps on giving.

Y thank u sweetiecakes. Glad to know im still in ur thoughts. Douche....
30 going on 40 Wrote:Then it is up to the public schools to offer something to retain the kids. People live to talk about Private schools and recruiting. Everyone forgets how rigid authority is at most of those schools and how involved parents are. That is the major difference between most private and public schools. It is reflected in their sports.

I have coached at both and I can tell you the parents are definitely a different breed than what you see at public schools. At public schools it is possible every season to get one or two overbearing parents but with coaching at private schools you can go head and bet on it. Each set of parents are highly involved with all their kids' extracurricular activities and especially sports. They have no problem spending tons of money on private lessons and equipment to push their kid or give them an advantage. Losing is also not an option. Most of the private schools around the country have an athletic fee in addition to their tuition costs. So the line coaches like to use that says, "playing sports is not a right it's a privilege," take a backseat at the private schools because they are actually paying to play. They(parents) expect everything to be up to par and organized and if they're not you'll most definitely hear about it, and they usually go above your head first because they don't want that face to face confrontation. It is definitely a different experience in regards to coaching and like you said, all of it plays a role into how they play on the field. I think it's great and if I hadn't have moved up to the college level then I would've been happy coaching at most private schools. Everyone is held to higher level and held accountable. That is and always will be a recipe for success.
calling it now. back2back2back. ncc vs desales, 2015. desales in a rout, 42-0. if ncc dumps dave schneider, 42-21 desales.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:calling it now. back2back2back. ncc vs desales, 2015. desales in a rout, 42-0. if ncc dumps dave schneider, 42-21 desales.

Aint you a ncc fan. Are the breds taking a bick step back, and if so what is the reason.
DeSales 2015, should be another great year. We'll definitely have another stout defense. We have a lot of pieces coming back. We'll miss our 23 departing Seniors. I think they'll leave DeSales as the winningness four year group in the school's history. I think that group came in with 24 freshman, so they only lost 1 player up to their senior year.

I do think they can get back to BG next year. Our region has to travel for the semi state game in 2015, I kinda would rather have to go play at Mayfield, instead of Murray. I want no part of having to go to Murray for a playoff game in 2015. lol. ( Talk about having a target on your back.) I definitely think the West will be much better than the East again. I do think Somerset will be better next year. But i would again go with NCC to represent.
ColtPride Wrote:I do think they can get back to BG next year. Our region has to travel for the semi state game in 2015, I kinda would rather have to go play at Mayfield, instead of Murray. I want no part of having to go to Murray for a playoff game in 2015. lol. ( Talk about having a target on your back.) I definitely think the West will be much better than the East again. I do think Somerset will be better next year. But i would again go with NCC to represent.

Have you ever been to Murray's stadium? By far one of the worst stadiums there is. I would rather watch a football game at Fulton City than Murray.
Ghostofjoey Wrote:I was told this weekend that Desales has kids from 9 different counties! Including some that live in Indiana!

Anyone see anything unfair about that? They should have to play up to 5A or 6A.

You believe every stupid thing you hear? People saying something doesn't make it true. People are jealous. People want to make excuses. Desales just beat another private school. That's what I don't get. They just beat a private school with more tradition!
Mayfieldsportsfan Wrote:Have you ever been to Murray's stadium? By far one of the worst stadiums there is. I would rather watch a football game at Fulton City than Murray.

Yes I have been to Murray's stadium. We beat them there last year in semi-state. I actually thought it was kinda a cool place. Seems like they had a lot of tradition there.
killbilly usmc Wrote:Aint you a ncc fan. Are the breds taking a bick step back, and if so what is the reason.

i coached there and my son played there. i have friends that coach there, and some of the kids i coached will be there playing still. but facts are facts, dave schnieder is a horrible coach, a poor game planner and play caller. this man should not be coaching young men. he is an excellent equipment manager, thats about it. wags is a very good D coordiantor, not sure he is a head coach. and lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with that, he cares tremendously for the kids, but until he makes better personel descisions with players and coaches, he will not win another state title at ncc.
NKYfootballfan91 Wrote:i coached there and my son played there. i have friends that coach there, and some of the kids i coached will be there playing still. but facts are facts, dave schnieder is a horrible coach, a poor game planner and play caller. this man should not be coaching young men. he is an excellent equipment manager, thats about it. wags is a very good D coordiantor, not sure he is a head coach. and lets be honest, there is nothing wrong with that, he cares tremendously for the kids, but until he makes better personel descisions with players and coaches, he will not win another state title at ncc.

That seems to be an opinion that is very rare. Bob did a great job putting NCC as one of the premier teams in northern Kentucky. Coach Eviston did an even better job continuing that success, and I have no doubt that Coach Wagner will do the same. The administration has made it very clear they approve of everyone involved with the program by continuing to promote within the NCC family for that head coaching job. I think that is part of the reason for their continued success. Coach Wagner is loyal to his staff but I'm sure if something or someone needs moved around then he'll do it. They had the unfortunate task the last years of running into a very talented group from DeSales with a lot of experience. That happens. They'll continue to be a top the best in their class and will absolutely be in the mix every year for a state title. They've been to 4 out of the 5 state championships since legendary coach Bob Schneider has been gone, and Wagner himself has taken the only two teams he's been the leader of to state title games. Some coaches go decades with never sniffing that kind of success. It's a pretty cheap shot to take at a coaching staff with that much success. I realize it's probably personal with Dave, but he's been over their strength and conditioning and did his part to put them in those games. It's not easy to do what they've done over the past five years. So to say they won't win another one until this or that happens is very misinformed and seems more personal than anything.
how can it be misinformed when i was there for 4 years and saw it first hand. that seems to be the exact opposite of being misinformed. this team was very lucky to make it to the finals. the east side was as bad as it could be. how can u coach a postition and not know where ur player should be lined up. sounds to me like u may have a personal involvement in this. bob schneider is as over rated of a coach that i have ever seen at any lvl. ill say this, a certain coach when he left, said to a group of ppl, "if i can give the next head coach here one piece of advice, dont bring those two back", he was referring to dave and bob...... ill give credit where credit is due, dave is a very good equipment manager, he has no business coaching young men or calling an offense. wags is very loyal to a fault, u ask one of the kids up there on the hill, who is in charge of that team...they will tell u dave schneider is. as for the wieght program up there, dont get me started, thats an absolute joke. how in the hell keirnan is not running the program is beyond me. sorry for misspelling on his name.
Nothing personal on my end. I've met Bob a few times but that's about it. Results speak for themselves though. You may get away with blaming a weak east once or twice but not every year. They've obviously adapted a system there that works very well. I will agree that sometimes good programs can get stuck with bad assistants because I've been stuck with several over the years. Every program has one but good coaches can hide them somewhere and still be able to oversee what is going on. There has been a couple occasions where I have chosen a less qualified assistant just because I knew I could trust them and that could be what is going on here? You use to be there but you're not now and I'm guessing that's why you're taking a cheap shot at a succesful program? There is no reason to try and cause dissention here on a message board where the people you're talking about can't respond to the accusations you're making. Just let it play out and results will always tell the story. Teams with issues like you described don't usually make it to four out of the last five state championships. However, if there is an issue then just sit back and wait and it'll take care of itself. Trying to instigate it on your own doesn't help anyone, especially the players.