Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious posters only
Serious question. What year did Laurel Co split into 2 schools and which school North or South has the higher winning pct since?
I believe they split in 1992, but as far as winning percentage are concerned, I have no clue.
You're right about the year Granny, it was 1992. Since then North Laurel is 90-150(37%), while South Laurel is 113-137(45%).
I've never understood why they split. Them or the Jessamine's.

Both would be Henderson/Scott County types in terms of enrollment and maybe even in terms athletic success across the board, while obviously providing great a great education as those do.

But, after all....this is Kentucky. The land where if a single county school approaches 2K, people (many, not all) go into freak mode and get on the "We have to build another school!!!!".

Ohio, Indiana, Bama, SC, TX, FL..hell, almost everywhere..schools of 2-3K that are 1st class in everything are a norm.
With the above said, they have both done well for themselves in most sports & with the emergence of NL Football.

More of a "What could have been?" type deal.
The Laurel County building was not large enough. They needed to add on or build a new school.
Fly Like a Duck Wrote:I've never understood why they split. Them or the Jessamine's.

Both would be Henderson/Scott County types in terms of enrollment and maybe even in terms athletic success across the board, while obviously providing great a great education as those do.

But, after all....this is Kentucky. The land where if a single county school approaches 2K, people (many, not all) go into freak mode and get on the "We have to build another school!!!!".

Ohio, Indiana, Bama, SC, TX, FL..hell, almost everywhere..schools of 2-3K that are 1st class in everything are a norm.

I agree with your assessment when it comes to most schools, but not Laurel County.
South Laurel is what Laurel County was. North Laurel got a new school, but South got the old one. In this case, it made sense to build a new school, especially with the layout of Laurel County.
Look at it this way, South Laurel can have kids from North Corbin, to Keavy, to Londons Main Street in there school. North Laurel can have kids from East Bernstadt to Livingston, to the Pulaski County line in there school.

South Laurel is in a central location of Laurel County, but it makes no sense for all the kids to go there, and to be honest, there isn't enough property there where South is at to have enough room to build. I don't think a lot of people realize just how many kids are in the Laurel County school system now. North Laurel is actually a 6A school right now. A couple of 6A teams have lower numbers than North but elected to play up knocking North back down. South Laurel is a 5A size school, however, its one of the largest. There are more kids in Laurel and Pulaski County schools system than anywhere else in eastern Kentucky. If Pulaski and SW split, it only makes sense that Laurel County did since they have more kids overall.

Now as for success, I still highly doubt it. In basketball, maybe. They would have had a couple more state titles im sure, but overall there are a lot of kids who turned out to be studs at either North or South that may not have played if they were all together.
As for football, I don't see it. Maybe so, because it could have gotten a heck of a coach at one super school to lead them, instead of a rotating door of bad coaches. Theres really no way to know, but back in the 80's and before that, Laurel County really wasn't a world beater in football.

Now, as far as baseball, softball, girls bball, volleyball, and soccer, they would dominate everyone almost every year. I would imagine they would win a region title every year in those sports, especially since they almost are now.
jim rome Wrote:Serious question. What year did Laurel Co split into 2 schools and which school North or South has the higher winning pct since?

I like this side of you. Im sure others do too.

Good question.
samson81 Wrote:You're right about the year Granny, it was 1992. Since then North Laurel is 90-150(37%), while South Laurel is 113-137(45%).

Great stats Sampson. Thanks for sharing.
Id say the majority of those North Laurel wins came in there first couple of years (weren't they pretty good in 93 or 94?) and early 00's when they had a few good years.
As for South, I would imagine a big chunk of there were Neil Warren wins and then early 00's Jep Irwin wins.