Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Joe Paterno Resign?
toussaints Wrote:I know and it's wrong, but still Paterno didn't see the crime and it was a rumor at the time. What could Paterno do in that case, ban Sandusky from the whole campus? Yes, but that won't stop Sandusky from doing what he did at another venue. He could tell police and have police investigate it, but what if police don't find any evidence of it? Then Sandusky doesn't stop. Really what could Joe have done to prevent Sandusky from molesting another child, without putting himself in a position of facing jail time (kill jerry, beat jerry, locked jerry in a closet)?

Paterno should have notified police and got an investigation going, but the worst thing he could have done was not do anything at all. And Jerry isn't getting anything even close to what he deserves.

Yes but you could easily say: What if he did contact police and social services and they did investigate? What if they found evidence because they evidently had an eyewitness? What if they criminally charged him at that time and he went to prison? Then more children would have probably been saved from abuse and you wouldn't have had more victims. You guys can keep on defending Joe Pa but before this is over, this maybe the most heinous, grotesque scandal in college sports history. Even worse then the Baylor murder.
If Paterno had went public with this then Sandusky couldve very easily covered his ass. The way it was handled was just about as good as the state can do it. the fact they got an indictment before the arrest means that they had been doing this for a long time in near total secrecy. paterno going public couldve screwed up everything for the prosecution.
In effect what I am saying is that he did the right thing legally, but morally he screwed up. He did not know he was doing the right thing which does not make what he did right.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You guys can keep on defending Joe Pa but before this is over, this maybe the most heinous, grotesque scandal in college sports history. Even worse then the Baylor murder.

I'm not defending Paterno, I'm just trying to look at this outside of a lynch mob mentality. I agree, this is sick
PaintsvilleTigerfan Wrote:If Paterno had went public with this then Sandusky couldve very easily covered his ass. The way it was handled was just about as good as the state can do it. the fact they got an indictment before the arrest means that they had been doing this for a long time in near total secrecy. paterno going public couldve screwed up everything for the prosecution.

You are still not making complete sense to me. Nobody was asking Paterno to go public. They were asking why he didn't follow up with the legal authorities when he had seen that the people he reported it to failed to do so back a long time ago. . It is a common practice for many law enforcement agencies to present their evidence to a grand jury an obtain an indictment before an arrest is made, especially when dealing with high profile people. Every felony case in Kentucky, with an ample amount of evidence, is presented to a grand jury, whether an arrest has previously been made or not. A private citizen can take their own case to a Grand Jury. One of the reasons that Joe Paterno may have not been indicted is the Pennsylvania law is very vague and has a lot of gray area. IMO, it is poorly written. It should be more specific. If he was just a common citizen, the grand jury may have looked at him more harshly. People are talking about the lynch mob mentality. What about the fans gathering in support in front of his house. This can be viewed as being disrespectful to the victims. The only thing many of the fans care about is the football program, the prestige, and the school. They are not concerned about young boys that have been raped and pillaged in the facilities of their beloved school. Penn State fans have had an elitist attitude when it came to their kingdom, well the kingdom is starting to crumble. This has been covered up in State College since 1998. A now deceased prosecuting attorney covered it up, a janitor caught Sandusky in a closet having oral sex with a boy and it was swept under the rug, Penn States former counsel covered it up. It keeps going on and on and getting bigger and bigger. This all happened before the incident of the assistant coach catching him in the shower monkeying around. This will be the scandal of the century.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:You are still not making complete sense to me. Nobody was asking Paterno to go public. They were asking why he didn't follow up with the legal authorities when he had seen that the people he reported it to failed to do so back a long time ago. . It is a common practice for many law enforcement agencies to present their evidence to a grand jury an obtain an indictment before an arrest is made, especially when dealing with high profile people. Every felony case in Kentucky, with an ample amount of evidence, is presented to a grand jury, whether an arrest has previously been made or not. A private citizen can take their own case to a Grand Jury. One of the reasons that Joe Paterno may have not been indicted is the Pennsylvania law is very vague and has a lot of gray area. IMO, it is poorly written. It should be more specific. If he was just a common citizen, the grand jury may have looked at him more harshly. People are talking about the lynch mob mentality. What about the fans gathering in support in front of his house. This can be viewed as being disrespectful to the victims. The only thing many of the fans care about is the football program, the prestige, and the school. They are not concerned about young boys that have been raped and pillaged in the facilities of their beloved school. Penn State fans have had an elitist attitude when it came to their kingdom, well the kingdom is starting to crumble. This has been covered up in State College since 1998. A now deceased prosecuting attorney covered it up, a janitor caught Sandusky in a closet having oral sex with a boy and it was swept under the rug, Penn States former counsel covered it up. It keeps going on and on and getting bigger and bigger. This all happened before the incident of the assistant coach catching him in the shower monkeying around. This will be the scandal of the century.
This brings up another point that I hadn't thought of until I saw this guy on TV this morning. Why in the hell didn't that assistant got to Sandusky when he saw that he was raping a 10 year old, and rip his head off?
So we all probably know by now that Paterno was fired. After watching ALL the news about this (there was so much information coming out it is hard to keep things straight) I myself changed my opinion that he should retire to him needing to be fired so I was glad to hear it this morning. If I had never heard this story and in say 2006 my son was raped by Sandusky and then this story is released and something could have been done about it in 2002, not only is Penn St. getting sued but I am not sure I could keep myself from knocking some people out.

He deserved to be fired, the grad student at the time (who I think now is an assitant coach) should go to jail, and the AD should never be able to hold that postion again at any college. I mean, how as a human being do you come upon a man (who you know) raping a child and do nothing! If I didn't knock him out I would be calling the police right then. Makes me sick!