Poll: Who will win
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Rockcastle County
88.89%
Madison Southern
11.11%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockcastle Co. @ Madison Southern 10/1
3wishes Wrote:You are too young to remember the awesome games that Southern and Rock played, I assume.

A 4th quarter comeback of 22 points one year for the win.
A blocked punt for the win one year.

Very close games in the 90's before Southern quit playing Rock.

It is a big rival and probably a more important one to a lot of Rock fans because of bragging rights at their work or church. No one goes to church or works with people from Pineville, therefore, smack talk is irrelevant except on a message board for the fans and there are few of them that get on here.
A lot of money passed hands between fans of Rock/Southern back in the day on large bets, this is a very BIG game for Rock fans, regardless of record.

Two reasons no one has brought up the fact that Southern may not play Rock next year.

A: There is no one from Southern on this message board, however, there are about 20 Bell County regular posters that bring it up.

B: You and LWC would rather play Bell County than Southern, therefore, it has been all that is talked about.

The Bell County series was lopsided in the 80's in the Bobcats favor.

It was lopsided from 1999-2006 in Rocks favor.

Now it is lopsided in Bell's favor again.

There have only been a handful of close games, one or the other is always more dominant than the other.

It was only a HUGE GAME because of the tradition each school has, not the games themselves.

It's a rivalry between Rock and Bell because both teams actually had success against each other in the last 20 some years. Rock and Madison Southern isn't a rivalry. How is it a rivalry when one team wins every single game? Important to some? Yes. Rivalry? No way.
Sort of like saying UK-UT is a rivalry in football.... Good Lord. I wish I could say it was but in all reality it's nowhere close to a rivalry. I'll assure you UT's rivals are Florida and Alabama. We're their whipping boy. I hope we can change that soon. If we don' this year, I don't if we'll ever beat them in my lifetime.....
easyM Wrote:It's a rivalry between Rock and Bell because both teams actually had success against each other in the last 20 some years. Rock and Madison Southern isn't a rivalry. How is it a rivalry when one team wins every single game? Important to some? Yes. Rivalry? No way.
Sort of like saying UK-UT is a rivalry in football.... Good Lord. I wish I could say it was but in all reality it's nowhere close to a rivalry. I'll assure you UT's rivals are Florida and Alabama. We're their whipping boy. I hope we can change that soon. If we don' this year, I don't if we'll ever beat them in my lifetime.....

Yes, Rock has some wins against Bell County. Nine to be exact out of 28 games. Rock has won 32% of the games. However, take this into consideration.

If Bell and Rock want to consider it so much more important to be a rival than Madison Southern compare the average score per game.

In 28 games Bell County has outscored Rockcastle County 713-350

Average Score:
BC 26
RC 12

In 18 games Rockcastle County has outscored Madison Southern 613-318.

Average Score:
RC 34
MS 18

Did you know in the first 10 games of the Bell County/Rockcastle County Series, that Rockcastle County only won 1 time. Was it a rival then?

If Rock considers Bell such a rival then surely Madison Southern considers Rock a rival as well, regardless of wins. Numbers are hard to argue with.

32% -0%

Not a huge difference.
Just food for thought.
3wishes Wrote:Yes, Rock has some wins against Bell County. Nine to be exact out of 28 games. Rock has won 32% of the games. However, take this into consideration.

If Bell and Rock want to consider it so much more important to be a rival than Madison Southern compare the average score per game.

In 28 games Bell County has outscored Rockcastle County 713-350

Average Score:
BC 26
RC 12

In 18 games Rockcastle County has outscored Madison Southern 613-318.

Average Score:
RC 34
MS 18

Did you know in the first 10 games of the Bell County/Rockcastle County Series, that Rockcastle County only won 1 time. Was it a rival then?

If Rock considers Bell such a rival then surely Madison Southern considers Rock a rival as well, regardless of wins. Numbers are hard to argue with.

32% -0%

Not a huge difference.
Just food for thought.

Here's the big difference. And you're right numbers don't lie. 18-0 Rock in the last 18 games against MS. That's the bottom line number.
easyM Wrote:Here's the big difference. And you're right numbers don't lie. 18-0 Rock in the last 18 games against MS. That's the bottom line number.

So in 1999 was Rockcastle County and Bell County a rivalry?
This is the superbowle for southren and you can bet they would love nothing more than to beat the rock.This is prob the last time these two will meet for a while and southern would love to end with one win aginst the rock hope to see the rock pick it up and come out and hit them in the mouth.:redboxer:
The only reason Bell doesnt see it as a rivaly game is because we win every time. the only reason Bell even mentions this is becasue they are mad that we wont be their whipping boy anymore after this year and Southern will. But southern may not play us anymore either.

but this is a rivaly game, we border Southern, we have fans who work over there and it is a rivaly between each. get over it Bell, go find some real team to play besides us. We will be looking for sme easy wins next year adn it wont consist of Bell.
former Wrote:The only reason Bell doesnt see it as a rivaly game is because we win every time. the only reason Bell even mentions this is becasue they are mad that we wont be their whipping boy anymore after this year and Southern will. But southern may not play us anymore either.

but this is a rivaly game, we border Southern, we have fans who work over there and it is a rivaly between each. get over it Bell, go find some real team to play besides us. We will be looking for sme easy wins next year adn it wont consist of Bell.

MAn you fixed one heck of a spicy chicken sandwich at your Worlds Famous Wendy's.. REal teams????? hard to find any one to play us, our closest rivals droped us (corbin, m'boro) i can remember when we only played a nine game season bc we couldnt find anyone to fill that void.. yes the BELL Rock rivalry is comming to an end and wat better way to end it that a 55-0 but demolishing... advice to Clark Rowe "if ya wanna get your name out there, move from Mt. Vernon.."
tehot05 Wrote:MAn you fixed one heck of a spicy chicken sandwich at your Worlds Famous Wendy's.. REal teams????? hard to find any one to play us, our closest rivals droped us (corbin, m'boro) i can remember when we only played a nine game season bc we couldnt find anyone to fill that void.. yes the BELL Rock rivalry is comming to an end and wat better way to end it that a 55-0 but demolishing... advice to Clark Rowe "if ya wanna get your name out there, move from Mt. Vernon.."

What are you talking about "geting his name out there". Last year Clark had 2107 rushing yards, 26 TD's and Avg. 175 a game. He was the 3rd leading rusher in 4A. He's is only 200 yards from breaking the all time rushing record at Rockcastle. It pretty low you got to take shot at a kid like that.
ROCKSOLID69 Wrote:What are you talking about "geting his name out there". Last year Clark had 2107 rushing yards, 26 TD's and Avg. 175 a game. He was the 3rd leading rusher in 4A. He's is only 200 yards from breaking the all time rushing record at Rockcastle. It pretty low you got to take shot at a kid like that.

awwww heck gotta stat man huh?? We will not get in this discussion wit Bell and Rock wit stats.. Listen i aint a taking no shots at him, matter of a fact im helping the boy out, as talented as he is if he were my son and i lived so close to a big city i would send him there... but good luck to him the rest of the way, juss hope you all dont make a trip up to LOg Mtn. bc stats dont lie 24 rushing attempts 55 yrds.. 55-0 BELL..

GO ROCKETS!!!
Both 3Wishes and RockSolid69 bring up great points. Geographically Berea is very close to Rockcastle. Many people that I know from Rockcastle go to church in Berea, and vice-versa. Many people also work in Berea, and there are a few people that come from Berea for seasonal work at Renfro Valley.

RockSolid made a good point that if Berea was not so close this would not be a rivalry.

3Wishes made a great point about most of the Bell-Rock games are lopsided, one way or the other. That is also mostly true. How many teams have beaten Bell County as many times as Rock has? How many State Championship appearences have been blocked by Rock or Bell? I can think of 5 State Championship Appearances that have went through Bell or Rock in my lifetime. I honestly believe that the 6th is this season. Madison Southern may not make the playoffs.

Is Madison Southern the biggest rival to Rock, not in my opinion. The most anticipated game on the schedule? Maybe, easy wins are nice to have. Sure there have been some close games, yeah Billy-Bob can go to work and brag about it the next day. But when Rock beats Bell, fans talk about it for weeks! Nobody talks about the M.S. game for weeks.

Basically, this is my take on it:

1. Most anticipated game for the casual fan is Madison Southern (proximity, family and friends at the game, catch a bite of Taco Bell and a Wal-Mart run with Southern friends before the game, etc...)

2. Most important game on the schedule. Bell County, as I said before 6 State Championship appearances have come through these two teams, in my memory. Southern struggles to win a playoff GAME.

3. Most competitive game every year. Anymore it has been Knox Central. Those games have been VERY close and very important lately! Lately Bell has ran away with the district, so the winner of Knox-Rock has hosted a playoff game and been district runner-up.