Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ryle 34 - Covington Catholic 14
Ryle 34 Cov Cath 14 final
Listening to the post game right now.
Sorry did not see this when I made my thread.
Any stats? How did Hempel do?
Ryle runs through CovCath
Ryle 34, CovCath 14
By Ryan Ernst • [email]rernst@enquirer.com[/email] • August 21, 2009

• • Print • ShareThis • Type: A A • Click-2-Listen

The Ryle Raiders’ 2009 football season started, quite literally, with a bang.

Sophomore running back Travis Elliott took an off-tackle handoff on the team’s first play from scrimmage and ran 80 yards for a touchdown. The score set off a series of fireworks behind the north end zone at Borland Stadium. They were virtually invisible due to the still-setting sun. Fortunately for Ryle fans, there would be plenty of others.

The Raiders beat visiting Covington Catholic 34-14 on the opening night of high school football in Northern Kentucky, sticking with the ground attack that served them so well on the opening play. For the game, the Raiders outrushed CovCath 445 yards to 176.

Ryle coach Bryson Warner said he decided at the end of practice this week to open the game by calling Elliott’s number.

“We repped it about 100 times this week,” he said. “That was the biggest play we focused on. Everybody just did a great job of executing it.”

Elliott – a thick, barrel-chested, low-to-the-ground runner – did most of his damage between the tackles. Senior running back Kiefer Eubank, a leaner and shiftier runner, beat CovCath on the outside.

“We’ve got plenty of weapons on our team,” Elliott said. “Basically, he’s the speed and I’m the power.”

Elliott rushed for 236 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries. Eubank gained 165 yards and two scores on just 10 carries.

Ryle led 13-0 at the half after a pair of field goals from senior Erik Pederson (one from 39 yards and one from 45).

Both teams, however, struggled deep in their opponents’ territory. CovCath was penalized nine times for 90 yards.

“It was pretty frustrating,” said CovCath coach Dave Wirth. “… We obviously didn’t have ourselves prepared well enough.”

Despite the setbacks, CovCath was able to cut the lead to six shortly after the second-half kickoff. Paul Ritter returned the kick 60 yards, setting up a short drive and an 11-yard touchdown run from Leo Schaeffer.

Ryle answered immediately.

The Raiders went 74 yards on just eight plays – Elliott and Eubank carried on seven of those plays – and capped the drive with an Elliott 1-yard touchdown run.
Eubank added the final two scores – one on a 54-yard end around, the other on a similar play he cut upfield for a 30-yard score.

“That’s kind of the way Travis and I split carries last year,” Eubank said. “We’re just trying to pick up where we left off.”

Ryle, which went 5-6 last year, is ranked sixth in the Enquirer Northern Kentucky coaches’ poll. CovCath is eighth.

“CovCath is a good team,” Warner said. “They’re big and strong up front. That staff has done a good job getting that team together in such a short time.”

The game marked Wirth’s first as the Colonels head coach. He served as an assistant at the school earlier this decade, then served as the head coach at Badin.
“It’s still a loss,” Wirth said. “It’ll be nice to get the first win under our belt next week against Lexington Catholic.”

Ryle next week will play host to top-ranked Highlands, the back-to-back defending 5A state champions.

“We’re excited about the opportunity,” Warner said. “It’s only going to help. They believe they can win anywhere they go. We’re excited about having them come in here.”

CovCath quarterback Brayden Erpenbeck, who left the game with an injured shoulder before returning, rushed for 105 yards on 13 carries. Zach Senvisky led the Ryle defense with seven tackles and an interception.
CovCath….0 0 7 7 -- 14
Ryle………7 6 14 7 -- 34
R – Elliott 80 run (Pederson kick)
R – Pederson 39 field goal
R – Pederson 45 field goal
CC – Schaeffer 11 run (Talkers kick)
R – Elliott 1 run (Pederson kick)
R -- Eubank 54 run (Pederson kick)
R – Eubank 30 run (Pederson kick)
CC – Reese 5 run (Talkers kick)
Records: CC 0-1, R 1-0

Looks like sophomore Travis Elliott is going to be the real deal. He's well on his way to a huge year. Incredible story developing in NKY 6A running attacks; Boone had Quanoo with over 2000, Simon Kenton's Simpson over 2000 from last year and should do the same this year. Campbell County's Austin Johnson will be a 1,500 yard rusher and Elliott may have the best of all four this year.
Stardust Wrote:CovCath….0 0 7 7 -- 14
Ryle………7 6 14 7 -- 34
R – Elliott 80 run (Pederson kick)
R – Pederson 39 field goal
R – Pederson 45 field goal
CC – Schaeffer 11 run (Talkers kick)
R – Elliott 1 run (Pederson kick)
R -- Eubank 54 run (Pederson kick)
R – Eubank 30 run (Pederson kick)
CC – Reese 5 run (Talkers kick)
Records: CC 0-1, R 1-0

Looks like sophomore Travis Elliott is going to be the real deal. He's well on his way to a huge year. Incredible story developing in NKY 6A running attacks; Boone had Quanoo with over 2000, Simon Kenton's Simpson over 2000 from last year and should do the same this year. Campbell County's Austin Johnson will be a 1,500 yard rusher and Elliott may have the best of all four this year.

next weeks game should be a good one and tell us alot about both teams. I do not think highlands was happy with the way they played tonight and will try to come out on fire next week. ryle has some studs and will be ready.
The scary thing is, Ryle beat them handily, and did not even play to their full ability. Defensively they have work to do. Kickoff/punt return defense was horrible. Highlands will expose these weaknesses next week if they go unaddressed, which I'm sure they won't. Offensively though, this team could be so scary. Elliott is legit..the real deal..all of it. He is just a monster. Eubanks is good too..they're just quite the little pair. Hempel and his recievers need to get on the same page, and Nichols needs to be used more, but that could have been the plan all along. Don't show everything, esp. when the running game was so effective.

Covcath just needs a lot of work. This season is going to be a rough one. QB isn't accurate on his throws, recievers don't know the fundamentals of it, defense is aggressive but slow and can't tackle very efficiently, and probably their one bright spot was Ritters' kickoff returns. Erpenbeck can scramble, but he can't take hits, he's soft. Just gonna be a long season..

Excited to see Ryle and Highlands next week though I think Highlands should pull it out pretty good.
Congrats Ryle
drizzy Wrote:The scary thing is, Ryle beat them handily, and did not even play to their full ability. Defensively they have work to do. Kickoff/punt return defense was horrible. Highlands will expose these weaknesses next week if they go unaddressed, which I'm sure they won't. Offensively though, this team could be so scary. Elliott is legit..the real deal..all of it. He is just a monster. Eubanks is good too..they're just quite the little pair. Hempel and his recievers need to get on the same page, and Nichols needs to be used more, but that could have been the plan all along. Don't show everything, esp. when the running game was so effective.

Covcath just needs a lot of work. This season is going to be a rough one. QB isn't accurate on his throws, recievers don't know the fundamentals of it, defense is aggressive but slow and can't tackle very efficiently, and probably their one bright spot was Ritters' kickoff returns. Erpenbeck can scramble, but he can't take hits, he's soft. Just gonna be a long season..

Excited to see Ryle and Highlands next week though I think Highlands should pull it out pretty good.

What about the kid that plays tight end (sorry I forget his name). He is a monster at 6'7" and 260. Is he the real deal with that size? He made Highlands tightends look tiny in the picture in the paper!!
sstack Wrote:What about the kid that plays tight end (sorry I forget his name). He is a monster at 6'7" and 260. Is he the real deal with that size? He made Highlands tightends look tiny in the picture in the paper!!

That would be Tate Nichols...already committed to Stanford and yes he's the real deal.

As far as the game, this is about what I expected. Ryle is going to be really good this year with Elliott running the ball. The kid is a flat out stud and with Hempel keeping defenses honest with his passing ability, Ryle's offense is going to be tough to stop this season.

Their three headed attack of Elliott, Eubanks, and Hempel may be better than the three headed monster they had in 07 with Gray, Schmitz, and Murray. That team made it to the state championship.
sstack Wrote:What about the kid that plays tight end (sorry I forget his name). He is a monster at 6'7" and 260. Is he the real deal with that size? He made Highlands tightends look tiny in the picture in the paper!!

No way to tell from last night really. He wasn't used much. They killed them on the ground. Do I think he is? Yes. Does he have amazing size? Yep.
Listening to this one right now(REPLAY)