Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Gottfried Resigns as Alabama's Head Coach
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3862038

Very shocking news to me. I thought that he has done a very good job at keeping Alabama competitive enough to goto the NCAA tournament every other year and all, especially at a football school.
Very good coach. They may regret this move.
slugger35 Wrote:Very good coach. They may regret this move.
i agree 100%
This is extremely surprising to me. Very bad move, especially in the middle of the season.

Any info on who will be the interim coach and who they are targeting for the new job?
For all of you saying that Gottfried was a good coach, you should probably rethink your reasoning. Gottfried is 198-123 in 11 seasons and his teams have been on a downward spiral for the last few seasons. Not suprising to me, good recruiter, bad coach. With all the high school talent that is in Alabama, all they need is a good coach, they can land the talent, Gottfried done less with more than any other coach in the SEC.
Now he went from being fired to resigning.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:Now he went from being fired to resigning.

Probably would have been ran off anyway if he didn't resign.
mcfan1 Wrote:For all of you saying that Gottfried was a good coach, you should probably rethink your reasoning. Gottfried is 198-123 in 11 seasons and his teams have been on a downward spiral for the last few seasons. Not suprising to me, good recruiter, bad coach. With all the high school talent that is in Alabama, all they need is a good coach, they can land the talent, Gottfried done less with more than any other coach in the SEC.

Although you have a point, in his defense, Bama did goto the NCAA tournament 5 times during those 11 years, including 1 elite 8 appearance and 2 appearances in the 2nd round.

Alabama just isn't a basketball school. The entire SEC West is terrible every year, because they all are football schools and don't care much about their basketball programs.
I knew he was in trouble after the Ky loss. He has been on the hot seat for quite sometime. He hasn't done anything since 2005. One of his senior players quit, that was a breaking point as well. Wouldn't be surprised to see Tubby on a short list for Bama!
mcfan1 Wrote:For all of you saying that Gottfried was a good coach, you should probably rethink your reasoning. Gottfried is 198-123 in 11 seasons and his teams have been on a downward spiral for the last few seasons. Not suprising to me, good recruiter, bad coach. With all the high school talent that is in Alabama, all they need is a good coach, they can land the talent, Gottfried done less with more than any other coach in the SEC.

:confused: A .621 winning percentage makes a bad coach? How many programs would like to consitently win 19 games a year. Alabama, a Football school, is one of the toughest jobs in the SEC. Alabama kids have not stayed in Bama since Wimp coached there. I disagree, Gottfried has done a very solid job.

For me, whats the underlying story here. I don't think Gottfried left (or fired) without something that is not being publicized. This smells of something ripe.
Didn't surprise me here, I figured he'd be on the hotseat this season but it was kinda odd he quit during the middle of the season, but his program had been in decline for some time now.
why did ronald steele leave the team?
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
Alabama is looking at Tubby Smith, but there is no reason for him to take the job IMO.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Alabama is looking at Tubby Smith, but there is no reason for him to take the job IMO.

I agree, He can win in Minnesota and the Big 10. He will never be a consistent winner at Bama.
I think this was a good fire. Seems like Alabama was underachieving every year.