Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butler County 69 Ohio County 45 (3rd Region Semifinal)
My pick in the 3rd stays alive (unlike most others I predicted).

They have a date with Tim Riley and Owensboro Catholic next Tuesday with a trip to Rupp on the line. I think Butler County's Ty Price will be the most dynamic high school player in that game.
Cactus Jack did Butler County and Lawrence County play in the Martin County Pan-o-Rama in November? I have watched Butler County play two games this season from a Grayson County sports channel. Ty Price is one tough guard. Harlan County and Butler County played at Fairdale tournament. Has the famous coach from Bowling Green moved to Owensboro?
(03-10-2024, 02:06 AM)wheeler Wrote: Cactus Jack did Butler County and Lawrence County play in the Martin County Pan-o-Rama in November? I have watched Butler County play two games this season from a Grayson County sports channel. Ty Price is one tough guard. Harlan County and Butler County played at Fairdale tournament. Has the famous coach from Bowling Green moved to Owensboro?

Unsure on the November Pan-o-rama, but it isn't listed on the schedule. Agree that Price is a very tough guard and they did play against Harlan County in the King of the Bluegrass this season.

Owensboro Catholic's coach is Tim Riley. He's the same guy who took Warren Central to many consecutive Sweet 16's and had a lot of success while he was there. They won it in dominating fashion in 2004 and lost a lot of talent from that team, but were able to make it back to the final with a completely new cast in 2005.

Riley was a student or grad assistant to Clem Haskins at WKU in the 80's. Without looking it up, I want to say that they'd made something like seven consecutive Sweet 16's during his run at Warren Central. He went back to WKU to be an assistant in the women's program for awhile, but was hired by Owensboro Catholic in the late 2010's and has already led the Aces to one regional title and a handful of All "A" Classic appearances.

I saw the Aces last season and they don't have nearly the same talent as Riley's Dragons had, but they can still do some things to beat you. I thought they had the best player in the 3rd Region (Brian Griffith) last season, but Owensboro had better overall talent and was able to get them in the regional final. Griffith is gone, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if O'Cath beat Butler. According to who you ask, I wouldn't even be surprised if the Aces were favored anyway.