Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Turf or not to Turf. A Question for my Friendz
[Image:

]

Bolz, the BOE has called ole fatpat for advice.  They want to know to turf or not to turf, wowza!  Wez only got got five dolla and after using taterculator, I think wez can buy it if it's worth the benjamins.  Now, ole Hoovy knows priority number one and that my friendz is new concessions.  We are patriots through and through and know every patriot football game begins and ends at the concessions.  Second, you have seen the archived bleacher pictures over the years and ole fatpat can tear them up like going through some hot taters at joes chicken.  #musthavebleacherz  My boi Randy T said he would take care of the new press box if we can sign a contract with my third cousin CJ.  Can't believe the eaglets let that boi slip through like every running back we have faced this year, wowza!  So that leaves the tickety tock booth and the greenhouse budget.  I think we can go with a high grade polyfiber tent from amazon to sell tickets from and only grow taters in the greenhouse.  Wez all know taters grow themselves.  Wez got intertribal warz going on in the county whether to buy some fake grass.  The bored members are thumb wrestlin and hoovys blood pressure is rising like the old floor at mortys.  I'm worried about the AD.  Hez been hangin out too much at midee mart.  Our town has taken a beat down.  Pakistanny dions is still gurgling, Patriot dairy bar is no more, and wez having to watch the J and J show for entertainment.  Bruthas it can't get much worse.  So to turf or not to turf lays in the lap of ole fatpat.  One wrong move and Patiriot Nation may not survive   So this poll is important as the first tater harvest of the year my friendz.  

#bringbackthecannon  #cheechandchonglovedgrass  More mash tater please!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like fatpatfan's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Bull got out!
FatPat is that you?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • fatpatfan
Turf is the best. Can use the football field for a lot more than just football. No Brainer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • fatpatfan
(10-13-2022, 03:34 PM)Hound05 Wrote: FatPat is that you?

[Image:

]

Hounddog baby, while you collectin hardware wez been chin deep in mud brutha.  When defeated creek opened up like a mutha and the ole trailor came unhinged, I anchored the freak down in mudd and tater vine.  Come see your ole friend.

#wishhounddogwasapatriot  More mash taters please!!!
[-] The following 5 users Like fatpatfan's post:
  • 64SUR, BlackcatAlum, Deuce8, Granny Bear, Hound05
With both there are pros and cons. Cost and maintenance of turf can be high and players love the feeling of idolizing professional athletes. Synthetic turf has an ecological advantage due to requiring a fraction of the water compared to natural grass seedlings. However, turf injuries can be common due to higher friction compared to grass. Surveys by professional players in the National football leagues actually favored grass over turf at or around 73 percent. Most of all is the cost and how much money has been allocated which is important to high schools compared to college or professional leagues who can fund adequately. I'm about being eco-friendly but to each their own.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Heisenberg Effect's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
My thing is the cost. Most everyone can get turf put down for under 1 million depending on how fancy you get with it. If you do the cost comparisons to what you spend on the up keep for grass in a ten year period you are way ahead but……what’s it gonna cost to replace that turf in ten years? Will the school district have 2 million in ten years to replace it? I think ten years from now there will be a lot of unplayable surfaces around the state and no way to replace it. Hopefully I’m wrong
(10-13-2022, 03:45 PM)fatpatfan Wrote:
(10-13-2022, 03:34 PM)Hound05 Wrote: FatPat is that you?

[Image:

]

Hounddog baby, while you collectin hardware wez been chin deep in mud brutha.  When defeated creek opened up like a mutha and the ole trailor came unhinged, I anchored the freak down in mudd and tater vine.  Come see your ole friend.

#wishhounddogwasapatriot  More mash taters please!!!
You use to be my favorite thing about cross bracketing when we played you. But changes happen. 

I’m not a fan of turf. Never have been, not as a player, or spectator. I guess I’m old school. But they’re just to many injuries on turf. Bad injuries. Grass gives ya a little give where turf is not as forgiving. They
did a study and found that players get PCL, MCL, and ACL injures almost 3 times on turf than what they do grass. 

plus you can’t water turf down when you get a team with speed coming to town. Never tried putting tatters on it tho
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Granny Bear
"grass" all day, every day
Turf

Bruthas bruthas which is it turf or grass as the ole election is coming up and gotz to formutater a plan to move this program from the tater ashes to the brink of a dynasty baby!BOE is freaking tight as the old dulcimer strings Beckham used to play baby!Grass is easier on the ole gout but turf rash is a mutha!  #musthaveanswer  #alltateropionionsappreciated More mash taters please!!!
(10-13-2022, 03:38 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Turf is the best.  Can use the football field for a lot more than just football.  No Brainer.
I wouldn't say no brainer.....the number of ACL tears and other injuries will sky rocket.
Grass fields are better through August and September, but once the weather starts changing the turf becomes superior.
A properly maintained grass field is safer and cheaper. A good but safer actually.

Unfortunately boards of education in Kentucky, especially eastern Kentucky suck at anything maintenance related
[-] The following 1 user Likes RTruth's post:
  • Granny Bear
I think the cost to replace the turf is a lost less than the cost of the original instillation, when it's first installed you have weeks of work to get the surface ready before the actual turf goes down. A reinstall wold only involved rolling the old turf up and replacing it with new. Just a guess.

Turf every day all day, turf can be played on 7 days a week.

Bruthas bruthas ole Fatpat gave the head nod for the turf and now a new tater era begins baby!The year was shabab and Mullinater brought Patriot Nation three wins bolz!Ole Fatpat wants to give a few tater awards for the season! Darth Tater award goes to Chance Amburgey brutha the boy is wide freaking open!Golden Krinkle award goes to 12 Gage Short and the golden arm cannon strapped to his freaking shoulder! Tater Tot award goes to Shane Gibson and Gibby is smashmouth playa straight up!Tuber award goes to Preston Caddilac Shepherd! Spud award goes to my man Jonte Clash Clayton baby! Yam award goes to future breakout star Tater Dobson and it all about the Tater name!  #turfitis  #lawnmowersforsale  #concessionswasshaba  #timetorebuild  More mash taters please!!!
Let there be TURF
Grass
I would like to see some numbers on injuries since this turf phase has hit and everyone wants it. I know back in the day when I played in Cincinnati turf wasn’t a thing. I can’t recall one knee injury where kid tore his ACL or blew everything out in his knee. Not saying didn’t happen but they were far and few. Present day seems like knee injuries are so common people don’t even give it a thought. Not to mention getting a little mud on ya was all part of it. Now you get a shoe full of rubber pieces and burned up skin. I don’t like turf but guess I’m old school…lol
This is the key.  Comparing grass and turf depends a heck of a lot on what you are considering for the grass fields.  I believe it is a case by case bases for each school.  If your grass isn’t properly maintained, you probably prefer turf.  If your school has a nice grass field, there is less likely to be a desire for turf.  Not many grass fields in Eastern Kentucky are going to be better than turf.

Edit: I tried to quote a post from above that made the same point.  I couldn’t get it to work properly for some reason
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wildcat45's post:
  • Hound05
(11-07-2022, 06:24 PM)Wildcat45 Wrote: This is the key.  Comparing grass and turf depends a heck of a lot on what you are considering for the grass fields.  I believe it is a case by case bases for each school.  If your grass isn’t properly maintained, you probably prefer turf.  If your school has a nice grass field, there is less likely to be a desire for turf.  Not many grass fields in Eastern Kentucky are going to be better than turf.

Edit: I tried to quote a post from above that made the same point.  I couldn’t get it to work properly for some reason
That’s a pretty good post. And i would 100% get behind that. I’ve played on fields that looked like lowes seeded it. But Corbin had a nice Bermuda field. Which is why I hate seeing it go
A lot of the sports facilities are not maintained in Southeastern Ky. Really irks the hell out of me. Think there should be people given full time positions to keep up all the facilities. If you keep things the way they need to be, you don’t have to worry about replacing anything as much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • Nygfan106wins
Yea duke absolutely!! If you think. Baseball, football, some have soccer field, practice fields, up keep around those areas. It’s at the very least a full time job. It’s more than just mowing, you have to get someone who knows what he’s doing. If I’m thinking correctly, about 25 years ago Corbin tested their field, and it came back that it had enough nitrogen in it for the next 5 years hahah. They were just pouring it on and it was ruining it. Roots weren’t developing. But most don’t care.
Problem is most think Bermuda is the answer. It works great for July and August: if it is only used as a game field on Friday nights.

Now, if your JV play on it on Monday; your youth league use it on Tuesday and Wed(when soccer doesn’t want it- what a joke sport); then Frosh and/or MS on Thursday; oh and band wants to practice on it before their “competition”; well……what’s left of it will be creamed by the first frost and then you ain’t got S left, literally. Oh; and your HS has to practice here EVERY day as well(I have lives this mess)!!!!

Don’t forget the youth league and “traveling team” events of the weekend! Grass or turf depends on what your district has in terms of fields and the resources willing to maintain them.