Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeSales 2014 schedule
8/22 @ Holy Cross W. Colts can name the score in this one.

8/29 Grayson Co W. They lost to some pretty bad teams last year.

9/05 Warren Central W. Once we made the halftime adjustments on defense last year, we dominated them. It could be close, but I'll take us at home.

9/12 Washington Co W. Name the score.

9/19 @ Shawnee W. Name the score.

9/26 @ Bardstown W. Could be interesting. We did what we wanted against them last year.

10/3 Fort Knox W Name the score.

10/17 Christian Academy W. They have been a thorn in our side in the regular season. Over the last few years our freshman, and J.V. teams have handled them pretty easily. I think this is the year we beat them anytime we play them.

10/25 @ Thomas Nelson W. Name the score. We could have put up a 100 last year.

10/31 Southern W. We handle them easily.

I have us going 10-0 regular season. I really like this team. We have outstanding depth. Our OL will be amazing this year, as will the defense. Pirtle should have monster numbers again this year coming off the edge. He's going to give QB's nightmares.

The West goes through Louisville this year. I like our chances at a repeat. I hope Caldwell, makes it this time, we have some unfinished business with them. Our boys really wanted them last year.
Are you calling for a repeat?
It looks like DeSales loses 4/6 starting O-linemen, their awesome RB Byrd, and their excellent QB. On Defense looks like they lose 3/4 of their D-Linemen, 2 of their 3 Starting LB's, and 3/4 of their starting DB's.

So you have a team returning 5 starters on Offense minus their top two playmakers and only 3 starters on Defense. I think the Colts take a bit of step back. In Roush and Byrd alone you are looking at having to replace 4603 yards of offense and 390 points that were scored by the Colts. That is a massive hole to have to fill, especially behind what appears to be a rebuilt O-line and a completely overhauled Defense.

Warren Central and CAL are the two games I see going either way with Bardstown and Grayson County being competitive w/ DeSales as the favorite.

I would say best case scenario is 10-0... worst case is 6-4... most likely is 9-1 with a close loss to either CAL or Warren Central.
FWIW, my post wasn't meant to be a shot at DeSales by any means. Think they clearly are in the discussion to contend for the title in a very balanced 2A... I honestly didn't research what they had lost until just now and just wanted to recap for everyone else because you dont hear a lot about them or CAL and both are excellent programs
Both Tackles on the OL are D1 prospects with Bledsoe being one of the best in the state. I understand why you have reservations, losing Byrd, and Roush. They were tremendous players. We are fine at QB with either Johnson, or Nord. We are extremely deep at the RB position. We have built great depth the last 4-5 years. We've had great freshman classes. Our Freshman, and J.V programs have been tremendous. I think we've lost 2 games in about 4 years. Doesn't always mean success at the varsity level, but I'll take it. Pirtle, just signed his letter of intent to play at WKU next year. He'll have a monster year this year.

I like our chances at a repeat. However you need a little luck on your side as well.
Dream Killer will be foaming at the mouth.
ColtPride Wrote:Both Tackles on the OL are D1 prospects with Bledsoe being one of the best in the state. I understand why you have reservations, losing Byrd, and Roush. They were tremendous players. We are fine at QB with either Johnson, or Nord. We are extremely deep at the RB position. We have built great depth the last 4-5 years. We've had great freshman classes. Our Freshman, and J.V programs have been tremendous. I think we've lost 2 games in about 4 years. Doesn't always mean success at the varsity level, but I'll take it. Pirtle, just signed his letter of intent to play at WKU next year. He'll have a monster year this year.

I like our chances at a repeat. However you need a little luck on your side as well.
You don't sign anything until the first Wednesday in February.

Glasgow and RB Marquez Trigg or Caldwell and the talent they return will represent the west this year.
mysonis55 Wrote:Dream Killer will be foaming at the mouth.

Dreamkiller is mia. I think murray has caused him to pull a 64 and change teams. I bet he will be more modest this year. 55 i know you picked caldwell last year, are you picking them this year, or do you think losing that line will be to much to overcome.
Thunder Lips Wrote:You don't sign anything until the first Wednesday in February.

Glasgow and RB Marquez Trigg or Caldwell and the talent they return will represent the west this year.

Correction. Committed to WKU.

I like Trigg. He's a great back. Glasgow, and DeSales has become a pretty good series. I bet they dread seeing us, as much as we do them. Hopefully we can avoid having to go down there for a 3rd straight year. I think we are wearing out our welcome down there. lol.

Caldwell, I hope we get them this year. Sindelar is a great qb. We know that first hand.

Keep downplaying the Colts. We'll keep doing what we've been doing. We are getting lots of great players from the football rich south end of Louisville. Players that traditionally have gone to ST X. It's not a coincidence that they have taken a few steps back the last few years, while we've taken steps forward. We break ground this year for our own new football stadium. DeSales is quickly becoming the place to be. Faith & Brotherhood

Good luck to all the teams in 2A. It's a long season, and many things can happen. I'm sticking with my original prediction. DeSales vs NCC.
I don't know what to think about Caldwell. They underachieved last year. However, they return a lot and I mean a lot in the skill positions. But then, they lost their o line. That is what hurt them 2 yrs ago at Mayfield. I will have to see them this year before going out on a limb again.
mysonis55 Wrote:I don't know what to think about Caldwell. They underachieved last year. However, they return a lot and I mean a lot in the skill positions. But then, they lost their o line. That is what hurt them 2 yrs ago at Mayfield. I will have to see them this year before going out on a limb again.

Yeah they only lost 1 reciever, but as you said they lost there best olineman, and return 2 starters. There entire d line is back, but all there linebackers are gone. They had a pretty good back up rb that transfered in last year, but he went back to minnesota. They do have a few internal issues that concern me.
Desales team speed impressed me against NCC. Hard hitting defense. Look for them to be too much for Caldwell to handle this year, it'll be a 10-14 pt contest, but I think we will see a rematch of last year. What does DeSales return defensively?
Scotty_Bronson Wrote:Desales team speed impressed me against NCC. Hard hitting defense. Look for them to be too much for Caldwell to handle this year, it'll be a 10-14 pt contest, but I think we will see a rematch of last year. What does DeSales return defensively?

I like what we are bringing back defensively. We had a lot of boys who got a lot of playing time last year. It's time to step up, I'm confident they will. Mumford at LB is going to be a beast. He's a JR who saw lots of action last year. Big, strong, and most importantly aggressive. Nord returns as well. Pirtle returns with his 22.5 sacks last season. I really like our defense. I like the overall team speed also.

The X factor in all of this is coaching. There's a reason that some programs like Mayfield, and Trinity, and NCC have success every year. They all have a great coaching in their programs. Coach Davis a former player at DeSales has done a tremendous job. The boys really love playing for him.
Scotty, trust me, they can't out speed Caldwell. The thing for Caldwell will be can they block well enough for the beast at qb to do anything.
^^^enlighten me. Murray beat Caldwell by a few scores...DeSales blasted Murray. What does Caldwell have coming in that makes things different this year?
Hey Scotty, don't you know you can't compare teams from scores of other games, Caldwell blew Murray out 3 weeks before they met and were upset, Murray must have laid it all on the line that night and Caldwell might have been a bit complacent, whatever happened Murray played better that night. Caldwell has two starters and some big young guys coming in that might be good enough to continue their run, one linemen in particular is a beast that didn't play last year should be back, I don't think any team will shut them down, Sindelar and the rest of the offense are back and hungary, they want Desales too, so we will see how it works out, don't get to comfortable about things just yet.
I know my opinion aint worth that much, but yes caldwell did have a bad game the 2nd time around vs murray, but i never thought caldwell should have won as big as they did in the first game. Murray shut them down on first and 2nd down all night only to watch sindelar throw a 40 yrd bomb on 3rd and long. He was on target that night. Murray moved the ball at will to the 20 and would stall. I was expecting a much better game the 2nd time around. Im not sure i would call caldwell a fast team. Yes the rb boyd is very fast, and sindelar is definitly a mobil qb, but i dont see calling there recievers fast. Cain would be the fastest, but i dont think he is as fast as some would say. There defense aint that fast imo.
They were fast enough to match us at almost every position. They have almost all their skill players back. I think you are underestimating their speed. Murray changed some things in the second game and Caldwell was a little too sure of themselves. They have a big question mark at o line. That will be what dictates their success or lack thereof this year.
mysonis55 Wrote:They were fast enough to match us at almost every position. They have almost all their skill players back. I think you are underestimating their speed. Murray changed some things in the second game and Caldwell was a little too sure of themselves. They have a big question mark at o line. That will be what dictates their success or lack thereof this year.

yes they may have been as fast or faster than mayfield last year, but even you have stated last year wasnt a very fast team by mayfields standards. I have heard they have some good o lineman to replace the ones they lost, but im like you, and think it will be hard to replace the 3 starters they lost. They do have 2 starters back and a 6'3 270 pounder that didnt get to play last year due to injury that ive heard is going to be really good. He was expected to start last year as a sophmore until the injury before the season. Those were last years numbers i think i heard he is over 300 now.
Not much use for those over 300 with today's offense.
DeSales beat ST X last Thursday night in 7-7, then yesterday they won the 7-7 tourney played at Southern. They beat South Oldham in the finals.

Marion Co
South Oldham
Bullitt East
Fern creek
St. X
Fairdale
North Bullitt
Shelby Co
Bullitt Central
Holy Cross
North Oldham
Southern
Desales
Valley
Outside a decent WC team with a new coaching staff, that schedule does very little to prepare them for the better teams in the playoffs and with all the 1st year starters coming in, it would be very easy to get a false sense of how good they really are. I guess it's a good thing they have a couple of decent district opponents. I do think they'll have a solid team, but, even if they end up 10-0or 9-1, there will still be some question marks heading into the playoffs. Teams like Caldwell, NCC, Somerset, Glasgow, even Bardstown and CAl, will be more tested throughout the season.
Schedule is about average.
I am quite surprised at how weak Desales schedule is. Outside of the Warren Central game they play a very weak non-district schedule. I love how people bring up the second Murray game but fail to mention Caldwell and Desales went head to head two years ago IN Louisville. How did that turn out for you? Fast Forward to now. Same QB, Same RB, And the WRs are better. Def, Same D-line minus one, same secondary, and the LBs are better. The guys that played for Desales in that game, outside of Nord and Pirtle, are in college now. I know that the Desales faithful feel great about stomping Murray, and they have every right to be, but a Caldwell would have presented a very different set of matchups. Like a previous poster mentioned, you can't always compare scores of common opponents.

I would also like to mention that Desales better win it again this year because when they get in a class with Mayfield they will never get out of semi-state.
You can rag on our schedule all you want. We always play Holy Cross. Battle of the South end Catholic schools. It's tradition. We have to play Grayson cause they are on the rotation for us in the Central Hardin Bowl. Last year we played John Hardin. Would rather play them again, but we don't make the rules. Can't help that Shawnee, and Washington Co, and FT Knox are in our district. But with Bardstown, and CAL that makes up for it. We played Thomas Nelson as a favor to Brohm who was on our coaching staff before taking that job. Warren Central was a good match up for us last year, and Southern well i wouldn't mind getting them off of the schedule.

Yes we all know Caldwell beat us 2 years ago. But I don't think they would have beaten us last year. They might beat us this year they might not. We have a little time before that scenario can take place. I like our team, I like what we bring to the table. We'll both just have to get there to find out.

Now on to Mayfield. So I guess everybody in 2A should be shaking in our shoes. Well.....That's not going to happen. They might have ruled 1A, but I think they are going to find out that the road is going to be much tougher in 2A. So you said that we better win it this year cause when Mayfield gets here then our time is over. We won't get out of semi-state. I guess we'll see on that one too. Again I know what we are building at DeSales, and i can assure you it ain't to just make it to semi-state every year. I know there are some good Mayfield fans out there but damn you guys need to chill on thinking you can dominate every class from 1-3A
Don't let a over zealous Mayfield fan get to you. You're 100% correct about it being a tougher road in 2a. They'll have to get by Murray, OB Cath just to get a shot at the Final 4. Not sure either of those are a lot better than Russellville, but, you'd still have to get by 2 good teams vs 1 and then a Desales, Glasgow, Cal or Bardstown will all be formidable. With that said, I do think they'll be right there in the mix most years.
Colts held their Brown White scrimmage yesterday. Impressions, they are big across the front on the OL. Both tackles are going to be a load. Nord at QB looks really good. He throws a great ball. They'll run a Tebow offense with him, he's a load to bring down. Backs look good. It's different not seeing Byrd there, but I have full confidence. Ruxer is fast, and hits the hole quick. Pirtle is a load. 6'3 205. It's a great 1-2 combination. I haven't even mentioned Tharpe, and Gardner. They are loaded in the backfield. Receivers are deep too.

Defense looked great also. Fast, and aggressive. 90 players on the roster.

We'll find out exactly what we have next Friday as we'll travel and scrimmage 6A runner up Meade County.
ColtPride Wrote:8/22 @ Holy Cross W. Colts can name the score in this one.

8/29 Grayson Co W. They lost to some pretty bad teams last year.

9/05 Warren Central W. Once we made the halftime adjustments on defense last year, we dominated them. It could be close, but I'll take us at home.

9/12 Washington Co W. Name the score.

9/19 @ Shawnee W. Name the score.

9/26 @ Bardstown W. Could be interesting. We did what we wanted against them last year.

10/3 Fort Knox W Name the score.

10/17 Christian Academy W. They have been a thorn in our side in the regular season. Over the last few years our freshman, and J.V. teams have handled them pretty easily. I think this is the year we beat them anytime we play them.

10/25 @ Thomas Nelson W. Name the score. We could have put up a 100 last year.

10/31 Southern W. We handle them easily.

I have us going 10-0 regular season. I really like this team. We have outstanding depth. Our OL will be amazing this year, as will the defense. Pirtle should have monster numbers again this year coming off the edge. He's going to give QB's nightmares.

The West goes through Louisville this year. I like our chances at a repeat. I hope Caldwell, makes it this time, we have some unfinished business with them. Our boys really wanted them last year.

Where's the tough one? Cupcake city!
Warren Central, Bardstown, and CAL.
ColtPride Wrote:Warren Central, Bardstown, and CAL.

I'll agree with WC but you guys will beat bardstown(name it) and as much as CAL plays competively this one will be decided by halftime. All the ribbing aside, I still like you chances again this year.