Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central 61 Belfry 59
Second straight buzzer beater loss for the young Pirates.
Who hit it
Burnett (Spelling?) the little PG. Kid is a monster.
Burnett is a very nice player, just a sophomore.
He is tough
Unfortunately, just a sophomore defines about Belfry's whole team. There's currently one senior on the roster and he isn't in the rotation. Three juniors, one of them has been hurt a lot. So the Pirates are basically a team of sophomores a freshman. Starting lineup features 2 freshman, a sophomore, and 2 juniors and the first few off the bench are a freshman and two sophomores.

I can't overstate what a job Mark Thompson is doing. With a very very young team, Belfry is playing so much better than a 4-9 record shows. A lot of kids are still getting into football shape so to be playing some experienced teams like PC so close is a great sign. I know PC is relatively young as well, but #55, #4, #22, and #44 I believe started last year whereas we didn't return a single starter. Our guards are pretty undersized as well but they are really pests and play tough defense. Woolum had a crucial steal in this game to even give us a chance to go up two and a sweet drive and dish to Bentley.

I know losing sucks, period, and two buzzer beaters sting like hell for our kids... but I couldn't be more proud of them because just like a Haywood coached football team they play hard for four quarters and they're getting better each day. As long as they don't lose their faith and keep improving, good things will happen. It's tough having to deal with PC possibly twice more to win the district because they're a very nice team with some size that can cause matchup problems, but we played them tough tonight and hopefully can pull out a W against them in late February.
Any stats for Belfry??
I found some stats.

Cole Bentley - 17 points
Dawson Isom - 15
Fannin and Copley - 11
Catron-3
Woolum-2
Belfry0304 Wrote:Unfortunately, just a sophomore defines about Belfry's whole team. There's currently one senior on the roster and he isn't in the rotation. Three juniors, one of them has been hurt a lot. So the Pirates are basically a team of sophomores a freshman. Starting lineup features 2 freshman, a sophomore, and 2 juniors and the first few off the bench are a freshman and two sophomores.

I can't overstate what a job Mark Thompson is doing. With a very very young team, Belfry is playing so much better than a 4-9 record shows. A lot of kids are still getting into football shape so to be playing some experienced teams like PC so close is a great sign. I know PC is relatively young as well, but #55, #4, #22, and #44 I believe started last year whereas we didn't return a single starter. Our guards are pretty undersized as well but they are really pests and play tough defense. Woolum had a crucial steal in this game to even give us a chance to go up two and a sweet drive and dish to Bentley.

I know losing sucks, period, and two buzzer beaters sting like hell for our kids... but I couldn't be more proud of them because just like a Haywood coached football team they play hard for four quarters and they're getting better each day. As long as they don't lose their faith and keep improving, good things will happen. It's tough having to deal with PC possibly twice more to win the district because they're a very nice team with some size that can cause matchup problems, but we played them tough tonight and hopefully can pull out a W against them in late February.

Believe me, I feel your pain. We are starting 2 Freshman and 3 Juniors. The only Senior we have on the team hasn't been on the hard wood since he was in 7th grade. BUT, in the last two games, our defense has really stepped up and we improved enough to take PCC to overtime. Hang in there; you are right....good things will happen.

(note: Beverly did not play in that game)