Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could turf mean state finals at Commonwealth?
The KHSAA would have all of the sports state championships in Lexington if they could. When Commonwealth's upgrades are complete, other than a bunch of empty stands, it will be the ideal location for a state championship
Would love to see playoffs held at Commonwealth ! Would be great for fans and teams.
When commonwealth is completely renovated it will be really nice. I would like to see the high school state championships there only bc it is much more centrally located that western. Easier to go watch the games.
We can only hope they move it to Lexington
Lexington would be the best place IMO. Commonwealth will have less seating capacity once the construction is finished than Papa Johns. Everyone liked PJCS ans it was really "Too Big" for all games except the 6A game. I think having it in Western is just too far. The winter weather kept alot of fans away from the finals last year. Whoever comes out of the mountains has the disadvantage because of the travel time. Lexington is the "Central" best location for ALL TEAMS...no more than 3 hours really...with the only exception with Paducah Tilghman and Mayfield being about 4 hours away.
Commonwealth has plenty of parking...never would be an issue. I have to walk three blocks to WKU because the parking and traffic is horrible.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Too many people commenting about location.....best resolution is to have a rotation of the 4 major Universities. with 1 year at WKU/UL then EKU/UK, then 3rd year back to WKU/UL, whatever place they didn't play in first year of rotation, then you can get the rest.
redhound93 Wrote:Too many people commenting about location.....best resolution is to have a rotation of the 4 major Universities. with 1 year at WKU/UL then EKU/UK, then 3rd year back to WKU/UL, whatever place they didn't play in first year of rotation, then you can get the rest.

I like this idea
To say it will "never change", just isn't reality. At some point, if UK wants it, UK will get it. That said, I agree there should be a decent amount of covered seating. Unless it's boxes, there isn't much at UK or UL. As much as I love EKU, I agree the visitor side leave a lot to be desired, along with adequate accommodations in town. I still believe Louisville, although the stadium is too big, is the best choice for location (east/west), hotels, food, and other things. Plus should draw a better 6A crowd.
It does take a commitment from the community/bid committee to get awarded the bid. I've been wishing for about 15 years now here in WV that it will move back to Charleston from Wheeling. Wheeling is close to no other part of the state, most hotels/restaurants are in Ohio and Pennsylvania, but they have a strong commitment and a sweetheart deal with the WVSSAC, and get it every year. Even when it was a Mud Bowl for championships (it has since gone to turf). Maybe Bowling Green has that type of commitment and it will be hard to go to another venue.