Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pleasure Ridge Park-32 Central-30
Great game from PRP. Central, learn from the loss and get ready for the playoffs.:1:
Wales
14 Carries
188 yards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pleasure Ridge Park edged Central 32-30 on a safety called on Yellowjacket quarterback Tajh Milliken for intentionally grounding a pass while in the end zone with 1:07 left in the game Friday night at Central’s field.

Central had the ball on its own 9-yard line when Milliken rolled out to his right looking for a receiver. Pressured hard by the PRP defense, Milliken threw a pass to the left side of the field where no receiver appeared to be.

The game officials called a safety because Milliken was in the end zone. The PRP defensive players jumped for joy as they danced off the field.

“We got some pressure on him and we got a safety,” PRP coach Jason Hiser said after his Panthers finished regular-season play 8-2. “That’s the only safety we’ve had all season, and it couldn’t have come at a better time.’’

The loss dropped Central’s record to 7-3 heading into the Class 3-A playoffs beginning next Friday. Central, after losing its 2010 regular-season finale to PRP 41-7, regrouped and won its third state playoff title in four years.

Asked if the safety was a good call, Central coach Ty Scroggins said: “I’d have to watch the film. I thought we had a receiver over there. I won’t know for a couple of hours (until the game tape is developed). We have to find a way to win the close games. We’ve lost three games by a total of six points.”

Anthony Wales, Central’s All-State running back, carried the ball only once in the first quarter after suffering a hip flexor. He came back strong by running for 188 yards and three touchdowns on 14 carries. He tied the score at 30-30 by running for a 2-point conversion after his 49-yard TD dash with 11:49 left in the game.

Wales scored on a 2-yard run and Cornelius Bolden caught a 2-point pass to bring Central within 21-15 with 6:27 left in the second quarter. Dyllin Albright of PRP put the Panthers ahead 24-15 with a 29-yard field goal with 20.7 seconds left in the half.

PRP quarterback Spencer Sumpter and receiver Jacob Claire played a big role in the Panthers’ victory. Sumpter completed 11 of 21 throws for 214 yards and two TDs. The 6-foot-4 Claire caught Sumpter’s 12-yard scoring pass for a 7-0 lead on PRP’s second offensive series.

With PRP leading only 24-22 after a 69-yard TD run by Wales, Claire caught a tipped pass in the end zone to complete a 43-yard play and give PRP a 30-22 lead with 2:01 left in the third quarter.

Sumpter said the pass was intended for Chase Pierce on the goal line, but Pierce tipped the ball and Claire grabbed it. “I just threw it up there,” said Sumpter, who had to scramble to get off the pass. Claire caught four passes for 136 yards and the two scores. He caught another 55-yarder to help set up Albright’s field goal.

“This was a big game for me,” Claire said. “This is my first year to play high school football.” Both Sumpter and Claire are juniors.

What irked Scroggins is that “offensively, we gave them 16 points,” he said. On Central’s first possession, it failed to convert on a fourth-and-four at its own 38. PRP turned that into a 7-0 lead. A 44-yard TD run by Jalen Forrest gave PRP a 14-7 lead. Two minutes later, Drew Scrivener of PRP intercepted a Milliken pass and ran 45 yards for a score that made it 21-7.

Hiser was impressed with Wales. “He makes a lot of plays and that’s why I feel he should be Mr. Football,” Hiser said. “He’s a heck of a running back. This game will help us get ready for the playoffs and it will help them, too. Central’s a better team than last year.”

PRP 7 17 6 2 - 32
at Central 7 8 7 8 - 30
PRP — Jacob Claire 12 pass from Spencer Sumpter (Dyllin Albright kick); Central — Tyree Huguley 5 run (Musa Kamara kick); PRP — Jaylen Forrest 44 run (Albright kick); PRP — Drew Scrivener 45 interception (Albright kick); Central — Anthony Wales 2 run (Cornelius Bolden, pass from Keith Smith); PRP — Field goal, 29, Albright; Central — Wales 69 run (Kamara kick); PRP — Claire 43 pass from Sumpter (kick failed); Central — Wales 49 run (Wales run); PRP — Central’s Tajh Milliken called for intentional grounding in the end zone.
PRP Central
Total yards 307 287
First downs 11 8
Rushes-yds. 32-93 31-257
Comp-Att-Int 11-21-0 3-8-1
Passing yards 214 32
Fumbles-lost 0-0 2-1
Penalties-yds. 4-36 4-20
Punts-avg. 6-34.8 4-40.3

http://saxo.highschoolsports.net/article...30?Avis=B2