Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Class 5A District 7-8 Possible Playoff Matchups
I think most can probably agree on the way district 8 will turn out.
I think most would say
1. Harlan County
2. Perry County Central
3. Whitley County
4. Letcher County Central

District 7 is a little harder to think about.
Southwestern IMO right now is probably the font runner, but anything could happen when them and Pulaski hook up.
I think for right now we have to think that Southwestern is the number 1 seed in that district based on there recent play, with Pulaski County being a close second.
The rest to me is wide open. I honestly think Lincoln County will get the three seed. I dont think North Laurel has a chance after gettin beat by South. That leaves the four seed up to the winner of the madison souther/south laurel game. And my pick has to be South in that one.
So if that happens like most think it will, it will be
1. Southwestern
2. Pulaski County
3. Lincoln County
4. South Laurel

Making the playoff matchups look like this
(4) South Laurel @ (1)Harlan County
(3) Whitley County @ (2)Pulaski County

(4) Letcher County Central @ (1)Southwestern
(3) Lincoln County @ (2)Perry County Central

District 7 is obviously a lot better an with these matchups its possible district 7 takes 3 out of 4 like we did last year.
I wouldnt count out Letcher against Southwestern either for maybe even a clean sweep.

My prediction....

Harlan County Over South Laurel
Whitley County over Pulaski County
Southwestern over Letcher County Central
Perry County Central over Lincoln County

Harlan County over Whitley County
Perry County Central over Southwestern

Harlan County over Perry County Central

Region Champ- Harlan County

Whats everyone elses thoughts or predictions from district placing to actual game picks?
Whitley Co will have their hands full with Pulaski....it's really just a matter of which Pulaksi team shows up....I'd give Whitley a slight advantage with the winner loosing to HC. However, if Southwestern continues to play the way they have the past three games, and PCC continues to play the way they have, then Southwestern wins easily. I'm seeing the regional title game:

SW vs HC w/ HC coming out on top with only 1 loss on the year (Bobcats).
Southwestern was the favorite to beat Whitley at SW last year in the first round as well
That was a 45-0 spanking.
SW has done good the last 3 weeks but look at who theyve beat. Every team in district 7 would win those 3 games easily.

I just think district 7 is on a higher level
heres mine
1.sw
2.pc
3.lc
4.ms
my honest opinion is south loses out misses
clean sweep for the other side this district is not very good i dont see any of these teams winning a game in the playoffs maybe sw but thats it
I would be so very happy if it turns out just like RIUTG said.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Southwestern was the favorite to beat Whitley at SW last year in the first round as well
SW has done good the last 3 weeks but look at who theyve beat. Every team in district 7 would win those 3 games easily.

I think District 7 wins all the first round games except for Letcher Central. Letcher Central is not nearly as good as Whitley County was last season and that is a long trip to Southwestern or Pulaski. I think Pulaski or Southwestern could give Perry County Central a good game in the second round since they will be at home and PCC's defense seems suspect but I would still pick the Commodores in that game against either team in a shootout.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Southwestern was the favorite to beat Whitley at SW last year in the first round as well

I meant district 8.
I think Norm meant that as well
I would honestly have to believe that Letcher would be the only underdog.
However, its possible that Letcher could win and PCC get upset by lincoln or something.
^ I don't see anyone except Southwestern beating HC, PCC, or WC.

First, I think you have the placing of D7 wrong:

1. SW
2. Lincoln Co (3-0) with the win over Pulaski
3. Pulaski Co
4. S. or N. Laurel

So you'd have:

Round 1:
HC vs S. or N. Laurel (HC wins easily, w/ cheerleader playing 2nd half)
PCC vs Pulaski (Very evenly matched, I give Pulaski the edge)
WC vs LC (Bryant will have 250 in a WC win)
LCC vs SW (Southwestern wins)

Round 2:

HC vs WC (Harlan Co wins)
Pulaski vs SW (Toss up)

Final:
Da Bears

As far as Southwestern goes, it's not necessarily who they've beatin but how they've done it. Southwestern's offense has never really been the question, it's been their defense. They held a high scoring South Laurel to 19 points....their lowest point production of the year. They put 56 on the board against North Laurel, who has had a pretty solid defense. And against Danville they put 46 points on the board and had the game won down to the last play.

Harlan Co is better than anyone in D7, but Southwestern and Pulaski Co have the ability to beat every other team in D8. I think Pulaski and PCC would be a fairly even matchup. In fact, I think I'd favor Pulaski in the game because they would match up well with PCC's passing game.
well if south goes north wont go madison or south not north i think if madison and pulaski beat south madison goes
laker20 Wrote:First, I think you have the placing of D7 wrong:

1. SW
3. Pulaski Co
4. S. or N. Laurel

So you'd have:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Pulaski vs SW (Toss up)

Final:
Da Bears

As far as Southwestern goes, it's not necessarily who they've beatin but how they've done it. Southwestern's offense has never really been the question, it's been their defense. They held a high scoring South Laurel to 19 points....their lowest point production of the year. They put 56 on the board against North Laurel, who has had a pretty solid defense. And against Danville they put 46 points on the board and had the game won down to the last play.

Harlan Co is better than anyone in D7, but Southwestern and Pulaski Co have the ability to beat every other team in D8. I think Pulaski and PCC would be a fairly even matchup. In fact, I think I'd favor Pulaski in the game because they would match up well with PCC's passing game.

I would love to have some revenge against Pulaski. Not a big fan of them.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:I would love to have some revenge against Pulaski. Not a big fan of them.

It would be a good game if Pulaski showed up, but PCC would blow them out if they didn't.
dogface34 Wrote:well if south goes north wont go madison or south not north i think if madison and pulaski beat south madison goes

^
yes but madison is southern not central...........................??????????????
laker20 Wrote:It would be a good game if Pulaski showed up, but PCC would blow them out if they didn't.

And if we don't show up, they could very well blow us out. I like our chances against every team in D7, it's our own district that scares me. We do not match up well with Whitley and Harlan's style of football.
i know just didnt put southern but ill please my correctors madison southern lol
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I meant district 8.
I think Norm meant that as well

I did mean District 8.
Was at the PC v MS game friday night because I hadnt seen PC play and wanted to see the Harris kid from MS play. Pc looked pretty good but I will tell you this MS is going to be a force in the next coming years. They are young but dang gone they are talented and FAST!

As for this year, NL and MS are at the bottom, so if MS beats both NL and SL i think they are in. If they lose either I think SL is in... Is that right?

SW can beat HC, you have to remember its a different team now then they were. It isnt the same ole person calling plays now and it will be different. I think SW and HC make it to the final, and call me crazy (I know you Easterners will) but I will take SW under these new coach. He has them fresh and has them determined to do things. They are the same kids they were even 4 weeks ago. The entire attitude over there has changed, Coach stephens is doing a fine job.
laker20 Wrote:First, I think you have the placing of D7 wrong:

1. SW
3. Pulaski Co
4. S. or N. Laurel

So you'd have:

Round 1:

Round 2:

Pulaski vs SW (Toss up)

Final:
Da Bears

Your right, i looked at it wrong.
Lincoln beat Pulaski.

So that district should end up being
1. Southwestern
2. Lincoln County
3. Pulaski County
4. Winner of the Madison Southern/South Laurel Game
Quote:I think most can probably agree on the way district 8 will turn out.
I think most would say
1. Harlan County
2. Perry County Central
3. Whitley County
4. Letcher County Central

District 7 is a little harder to think about.
Southwestern IMO right now is probably the font runner, but anything could happen when them and Pulaski hook up.
I think for right now we have to think that Southwestern is the number 1 seed in that district based on there recent play, with Pulaski County being a close second.
The rest to me is wide open. I honestly think Lincoln County will get the three seed. I dont think North Laurel has a chance after gettin beat by South. That leaves the four seed up to the winner of the madison souther/south laurel game. And my pick has to be South in that one.
So if that happens like most think it will, it will be
1. Southwestern
2. Pulaski County
3. Lincoln County
4. South Laurel

Making the playoff matchups look like this
(4) South Laurel @ (1)Harlan County
(3) Whitley County @ (2)Pulaski County

(4) Letcher County Central @ (1)Southwestern
(3) Lincoln County @ (2)Perry County Central

District 7 is obviously a lot better an with these matchups its possible district 7 takes 3 out of 4 like we did last year.
I wouldnt count out Letcher against Southwestern either for maybe even a clean sweep.

My prediction....

Harlan County Over South Laurel
Whitley County over Pulaski County
Southwestern over Letcher County Central
Perry County Central over Lincoln County

Harlan County over Whitley County
Perry County Central over Southwestern

Harlan County over Perry County Central

Region Champ- Harlan County

Whats everyone elses thoughts or predictions from district placing to actual game picks?

now i know Harlan County is without a doubt probably the best team out of all 8 here. But i mean lets be realistic, anything can happen... but before i make any playoff predictions of my own like this i wanna see how both Whitley and Perry match up with the black bears in the regular season. For all we know, no offence to the almighty Harlan Bears. But they might not even make it past whitley in the playoffs, there for maybe we could see another rematch? :biggrin: now how awesome would that be? OR.... im just gonna go out on a lemb and be a homer when i say this, PCC could end up being region champs. ya never know what could happen in this sport.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:now i know Harlan County is without a doubt probably the best team out of all 8 here. But i mean lets be realistic, anything can happen... but before i make any playoff predictions of my own like this i wanna see how both Whitley and Perry match up with the black bears in the regular season. For all we know, no offence to the almighty Harlan Bears. But they might not even make it past whitley in the playoffs, there for maybe we could see another rematch? :biggrin: now how awesome would that be? OR.... im just gonna go out on a lemb and be a homer when i say this, PCC could end up being region champs. ya never know what could happen in this sport.

Its possible. Nobody know until these teams meet up.
HC has played a lot of out of state competetion and its hard to gauge them.
I honestly do think they will beat both but i see where your coming from.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:now i know Harlan County is without a doubt probably the best team out of all 8 here. But i mean lets be realistic, anything can happen... but before i make any playoff predictions of my own like this i wanna see how both Whitley and Perry match up with the black bears in the regular season. For all we know, no offence to the almighty Harlan Bears. But they might not even make it past whitley in the playoffs, there for maybe we could see another rematch? :biggrin: now how awesome would that be? OR.... im just gonna go out on a lemb and be a homer when i say this, PCC could end up being region champs. ya never know what could happen in this sport.

I agree that we all need to see how HC compares to WC, etc, but since you're a homer and all, if you want to see much playoff action this year, you may want to consider moving south.
laker20 Wrote:I agree that we all need to see how HC compares to WC, etc, but since you're a homer and all, if you want to see much playoff action this year, you may want to consider moving south.

...And you probably won't see much more when you have to go pay Lex Cath or Boyle a visit. Tired of your shots at PCC honestly.
Quote:Its possible. Nobody know until these teams meet up.
HC has played a lot of out of state competetion and its hard to gauge them.
I honestly do think they will beat both but i see where your coming from.

thats true. my mind agrees with you on that one, but my heart tells another story. cause for some odd ass reason whitley always starts whooping ass when it gets close to playoff time lol its weird but it never fails. & im just being real. and Perry is playing some pretty damn good ball right now not counting the rock game but their also having a little bit if trouble finishing strong but still they know how to win, an i just hope they dont lose another game until the region championship if they even make it that far.. i guess we will see though soon enough.

yeah yeah, thats why im not choosing harlan...
Quote:I agree that we all need to see how HC compares to WC, etc, but since you're a homer and all, if you want to see much playoff action this year, you may want to consider moving south.

lol ill laugh at this one lol:moon:.
comeback_kidxXx Wrote:thats true. my mind agrees with you on that one, but my heart tells another story. cause for some odd ass reason whitley always starts whooping ass when it gets close to playoff time lol its weird but it never fails. & im just being real. and Perry is playing some pretty damn good ball right now not counting the rock game but their also having a little bit if trouble finishing strong but still they know how to win, an i just hope they dont lose another game until the region championship if they even make it that far.. i guess we will see though soon enough.

yeah yeah, thats why im not choosing harlan...

I can fully agree with you on this one
Harlan Co. is a very physical team with good coaching. This may very well be the year they go all the way, if they are going to go all the way. I know John Hardin and Bowling Green are very good teams, but everybody said Dupont Manual would destroy the Rock girls in the basketball finals too. I seriously doubt either of those teams have faced the real physical play in the trenches like Harlan brings. I could be wrong, but I love my mountain teams.

PS--I am not from Harlan Co. just respect the program. (Gonna beat Bell this year also)