Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forfeits in Playoffs
I've noticed 2 teams have did this in the first round. I know there may have been some confusion with Leslie County. Just saw where Shelby West also bailed. They did the same thing a couple years ago in the state basketball tournament. I was wondering why. By them entering, they're taking a spot of another team who busted their butts to get in and didn't. It's a shame. If you don't want to compete at the highest level, please don't even enter the tournament.
LC first round was set for 5:00 pm.. apparently Maritn had relay for life starting at 5:00 so the game was changed to 1:00.. Leslie had no clue about the time change and was leaving for the game when they recieved a call and was told they would have to forfeit the game... Leslie co. had full intentions of playing the game... Leslie asked for the game to be played on monday but was told that could not happen and they would have to forfeit.. I dont think this situation was handled correctly, I think its a shame that the kids for LC had to end their season like this!!!
Collins/Shelby West ended up with two games scheduled for that day. They had their conf. championship and the first round of the playoffs as well. I guess one had to go.
I have worked with coach Napier all season and I think he is a good person. It is very sad that this situation occured, but in all fairness I do know that an email was sent and calls made to Leslie County about the time change. It was also posted as 1:00 on the updated bracket before the first round. I checked myself. It is sad for the kids involved I agree and it seems like communication is always a problem.
nuke99m Wrote:Collins/Shelby West ended up with two games scheduled for that day. They had their conf. championship and the first round of the playoffs as well. I guess one had to go.

To about 95% of teams out there, state championships are more important than conference championships. Does that conference hand out rings for winning? Are there parades and invites to the state capitol? Are there road signs in their town that acknowledge the "Conference Champions?" The administrators who decide to take this route are putting limits on the kid's success. Hopefully they change some dates in the future so they don't interfere. I'd never encourage our coaches to schedule a game with Shelby West in any sport. You seem to only have about a 50% chance on playing them.
I just can't understand why the game couldn't have been played on Mon. Doesn't sound like anyone was working with them to me..

You don't pay referees just to show up. You pay them to ref the game. So, the game should have been rescheduled for another day. I saw those guys getting ready to leave Sat. So I know they were ready to go and play. So thats twice this year Martin Co. stuck Leslie Co.

They cancelled a game with Bell Co. in Leslie's Bowl game on the FRIDAY AFTERNOON before the game on that Saturday.. And now this...
It is sad LC had to end their season like this. I know for a fact Martin county was ready to play so I don't think anyone should be blaming mc for the forfeit! It seems to me that coaches need to pay closer attention to their schedule. LC kids should not get down on themselves!
Again, how do coaches from other counties know when to come and Leslie's don't? How is it that other people who read the brackets knew the game was at 1 and Leslie's coach didn't? Ask your coach the answers to these problems. Martin county has a great team, kids who are talented and truly love the sport. Martin county wanted to play. End of story.:yesno:
canoeman06 Wrote:I have worked with coach Napier all season and I think he is a good person. It is very sad that this situation occured, but in all fairness I do know that an email was sent and calls made to Leslie County about the time change. It was also posted as 1:00 on the updated bracket before the first round. I checked myself. It is sad for the kids involved I agree and it seems like communication is always a problem.
Who sent these emails?? and who were they sent too??

Who made the phone calls to LC and who did you talk too??

Because no one from leslie co heard anything and thought the game was at five. im not blaming martin county at all. however, i would like to know why they game could not be played monday
Dr. B Wrote:Who sent these emails?? and who were they sent too??

Who made the phone calls to LC and who did you talk too??

Because no one from leslie co heard anything and thought the game was at five. im not blaming martin county at all. however, i would like to know why they game could not be played monday

The e-mails were sent by officials of the KMSFA not sure who called ?
As for the game being played on Monday I cant answer that .. For the record "I" did not talk to anyone .. It wasnt me that sent anything to LC
I wish the game could have been played both teams were having good seasons.
I was just asking, thanks!!

I wish the game could of been played too!!
Shelby West had to forfeit because their conference championship was played earlier that day. The defeated an undefeated North Oldham team 20-6. Hopefully next year the conference championship will be on a different date so teams don't have to chose between conference championship and state playoffs.
blue1424 Wrote:Shelby West had to forfeit because their conference championship was played earlier that day. The defeated an undefeated North Oldham team 20-6. Hopefully next year the conference championship will be on a different date so teams don't have to chose between conference championship and state playoffs.
So they would rather play a conference game than a chace to play in a state playoff where they didn't have a chance is what your saying?:igiveup:
blue1424 Wrote:Shelby West had to forfeit because their conference championship was played earlier that day. The defeated an undefeated North Oldham team 20-6. Hopefully next year the conference championship will be on a different date so teams don't have to chose between conference championship and state playoffs.

My point being, they shouldn't have even entered the state tournament, knowing they had a conference game the same day. Another team out there got screwed because of this. If i'm their coach, i'm looking for another conference. I hope they got some nice "Conference Champs" shirts for winning it. The rest of us will fight for the state rings.
Very sad for the kids.....
Last year I'm pretty sure Anderson County played two games on the same day. One was their conf. championship and the other was the first round of the playoffs.