Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY All-Stars Team Announced
Tryouts were this past weekend (April 15-16) in Louisville.

The official roster was announced today...

Sara Hammond (Rockcastle County), Forward *Miss KY Basketball
Carla Booth (Sheldon Clark), Guard
Averee Fields (Calloway County), Forward/Center
Danay Fothergill (Southwestern), Guard
Chasity Gooch (Franklin Simpson), Forward
Natalie Greenwell (Elizabethtown), Guard
Mechael Guess (Dupont Manual), Forward
Juliann Miller (Mercy), Forward
Maddie Peabody (Sacred Heart), Guard
Caprisha Rogers (George Rogers Clark),
Kristen Stainback (Scott County), Guard
Lauren Tibbs (Scott), Forward

http://www.kyallstars.net/?q=node/301

[FONT=&quot]Congratulations to all the outstanding student athletes... Represent Kentucky well!!
[/FONT]
Congrats to them.
Congrats to all of them. Carla Booth is one great basketball player.
Great group of kids.
Good looking team/and Im sorry to be the one asking-buttttttt-is there a good reason Angie Lawrence is not on this team?
I guess because they though Sara Hammond was the only one on Rocks team worth recognizing. I remember back in 94 when MC Napier won the state tournament and had only had 1 player on the All Tournament team and she was the MVP. Angie Lawerance is very well deserving but a lot of times, things dont make any sense in this state and the best players get left out. Politics, politics, politics.
Sooooo true
Congrats to all the girls that made the team, especially Prisha Rogers of GRC.
Sometimes you have to look at what a player does in big games and tournaments and figure they step up in those type of situations, not how they play in an all-star practice. I guess Lawrence's ball handling was'nt good enough- she has something to work on in the future.
Lauren Tibbs (Scott), Forward
:Cheerlead Way to go Lauren
Selections are based on the tryout. If you don't perform well, you don't make it.
Team ball will beat the Indiana all stars, not individualism.
rockblue Wrote:Team ball will beat the Indiana all stars, not individualism.

True. But if you're going to pick players based solely on what they did during the season, why bother having a tryout?
Well as far as tryouts are concerned-it is (MY) opinion that if a player performs as well as
Lawrence did during the season and as spectacular as she was in POST season play,she should have been as much a sure thing as Hammond was(being Ms. Basketball).Now Im NOT saying anything against Sara--not at all-- she is very deserving/ but with Angie Lawrence being the catylist of their offense in taking attention away from Hammonds and constantly creating her own shots thus oppening the defense up for Hammonds-THEY complemented each other perfectly.And that is why I believe Lawrence should have been a instant pick.
Found a cool video on Hammond

http://www.insidewomensbasketball.com/sp.../sara.html
I watched the Lady Rockets a lot this year and I think it might be the other way. Hammond was often double teamed, had most defenses aimed at shutting her down, made most teams play Rockcastle a zone defense, thus making it easier for Lawrence to have open looks and create her shots.
Bluemoon Wrote:Well as far as tryouts are concerned-it is (MY) opinion that if a player performs as well as
Lawrence did during the season and as spectacular as she was in POST season play,she should have been as much a sure thing as Hammond was(being Ms. Basketball).Now Im NOT saying anything against Sara--not at all-- she is very deserving/ but with Angie Lawrence being the catylist of their offense in taking attention away from Hammonds and constantly creating her own shots thus oppening the defense up for Hammonds-THEY complemented each other perfectly.And that is why I believe Lawrence should have been a instant pick.

You have to be pretty good player to even get invited. As far as your argument goes, virtually every player that didn't make it could say the same thing...they all had great regular seasons.
Congrats to those who made the team and to those who were invited to try out and didn't make it. Does anyone have a list of those invited to the try out?
TRUE-TRUE AND TRUE.However-As I stated both Hammonds and Lawrence complimented each other/a great 1 or 2 guard takes full advantage of being left open while her BIG is being double and or triple teamed.You take what the defense gives and then some.Both players are terrific in their skill areas.As far as all the other players that "did'nt make it"
When the ones that did make it,and perform in the entire State Tournament,play as well as she had all season,and sink free throws WHEN needed and under extreme pressure shoot and make the deciding shot to win the Ky. State Championship---Well I would absolutely want her on my ALL STAR TEAM.She proved her WORTH all season long right up to holding that BIG Trophy.
HD28 Wrote:True. But if you're going to pick players based solely on what they did during the season, why bother having a tryout?
This is SO true...This was said to be the best group of guards That EVER came out. IMO Many of the Better shooters during the two day tryouts did not make the team. Thats statistically on paper of two days of hardwork.
it seemed certainally picking Ballhandling over outside shooting and surprised several coaches and looked like the team was already predetermined before it started thats possibly why Whitney belle Jackson and a few other standouts did not even bother to come. Some selected had lackluster shooting and hesitated to shoot the open shot So using statistics and what WE Witnessed at the Tryout its a given our selected Team will be pounding the ball inside against a Good size indiana squad. A Complete reversal of what the sharpshooting Kentucky team did against a Huge Virginia team.
Im true blue and look forward to the game and supporting our blugrass team but most certainally felt the roster should have been maybe at 15 and had the best of both worlds outside and inside.
Bluemoon Wrote:TRUE-TRUE AND TRUE.However-As I stated both Hammonds and Lawrence complimented each other/a great 1 or 2 guard takes full advantage of being left open while her BIG is being double and or triple teamed.You take what the defense gives and then some.Both players are terrific in their skill areas.As far as all the other players that "did'nt make it"
When the ones that did make it,and perform in the entire State Tournament,play as well as she had all season,and sink free throws WHEN needed and under extreme pressure shoot and make the deciding shot to win the Ky. State Championship---Well I would absolutely want her on my ALL STAR TEAM.She proved her WORTH all season long right up to holding that BIG Trophy.

There's no doubt that you can make a case for her being on the team. She's a great player. I would want her any day as well. But All Star coaches are charged with the task of filling NEEDS, and maybe they were looking for a specific skill set that was better provided by another player. I guess Miss Lawrence will have to settle for polishing her State Championship medal and preparing herself for her college career, which ain't a bad thing! Good luck to her in the future!
I agree HD28-this is just my LOUD opinion getting the best of me(lol). I picked her out before the season and kept her my favorite thru the entire year.
I am a fan of the entire Rockcastle program. Classy kids, coaches, and they play a great brand of basketball. And again, Angie Lawrence could play on my team any day!!! She'll be very successful at the next level.